New Magazines at Long Last

At long last, my gym had some new magazines on hand! I’ve made due with reading the same issues of Parenting and Better Homes & Gardens for too many weeks now.

(Ryan says he thinks I’m going to use the tips I learn in Parenting magazine on him. Like this one: If you want a kid to agree with your idea, ask them a series of questions to which you know they’ll answer yes and then sneak in your real question. Parenting magazine: Offering manipulation tips galore!)

Today I grabbed a new-to-me issue of Women’s Health from November 2011. An interesting magazine can make steady-state cardio go by so much faster.

My 20 minute warm up on the elliptical flew by. Before I knew it, my time was up and I was off to conquer this leg workout:

leg workout

Right after I finished the three minutes of non-stop squats (inspired by my long lost love, BodyPump), I told Ryan that I am going to be sore tomorrow. I can already tell!

My body isn’t used to doing endurance weight training like it was when I was doing BodyPump three times a week. (I miss BodyPump so much.

Breakfast today was fast and microwavable!

protein oatmeal banana 002

I combined oatmeal, milk and a scoop of (now discontinued) cinnamon bun protein powder in a bowl, heated everything for around three minutes, stirring regularly and adding more milk as needed.

I then sliced up a banana and stirred it into the mix.

protein oatmeal banana 005

Apparently a cold front is headed our way this evening, so this breakfast may be in order tomorrow morning too when I’ll need something to warm my belly!

Questions of the Morning

• Do you ever read magazines when you workout?
  • What are your favorite magazines?

I love reading magazines when I’m on the elliptical! (I have trouble reading anything when I’m on the treadmill or really pushing myself hard.)

Comments

I don’t normally read magazines when I work out, but I love when my new ones arrive in the mail! I get Oxygen, Women’s Health, and Chatelaine. I used to get Self and Cosmo but then I figured I just had way too many so I cut my subscriptions down!

2. Nicole says

Reading makes the work out so much faster! I like any celebrity gossip magazine, but I would much prefer Self or Shape…sometimes cosmo makes for a good read because its so long to read it!

3. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

I don’t read magazines while I work out, unless I’m on the elliptical. My favourite magazines are Glamour, Life & Style and Cosmopolitan!

I am totally a reader–on the elliptical, stairmaster, bike, and treadmill. I trained my eyes during college so I could study during my morning hours workouts. I think that’s why I did so well in college. HAH.

I love BodyPUMP too! I can’t get enough. You should consider doing the training……I teach it, so no matter where I go I can have BP. Just a thought 🙂

5. alyssa - fashion fitness foodie says

I should try reading on the elliptical – than maybe i’ll want to stay on longer!

The only machine I can read on is the bike. And my school’s gym has the same problem with the magazines! The same one’s have been there all semester! Except now there are about 50% less (people steal them) and the remaining ones are missing half the pages!

Perhaps the gym will have to become BYOM: bring your own magazine!

I have a hard time reading while working out – I find that I don’t push myself as hard. I’ve been getting into audio books though, it’s been workout out pretty well while on the treadmill.

Sad to hear that the cinnamon bun protein powder is discontinued, it sounds delish!

I dont read magazines on the treadmill because I feel like they are oven and done with in 15 minutes – and then so is my workout. on the elliptical or treadmill at an incline I have been reading my book though. especially if yo uhave a “can’t put it down” kinda book (i.e. HUNGERGAMES!) I just fly through 45 minutes!

9. Katie says

I usually read magazines while on the bike or elliptical. Treadmill reading makes me dizzy and nauseous feeling. I love reading Oxygen, Clean eating & Women’s Health 🙂

10. Kaella says

I read while I’m on the elliptical or bike but not the treadmill 🙂
    I secretly love the trashy gossip magazines (US Weekly, Star, In Touch) but I find I get more inspired when I’m reading a fitness magazine (Women’s Health especially!) Have a great day 🙂

I love womens health and self. I workout at home most of the time and go for runs outside but if on the treadmill I love to read magazines, guilt free magazine reading time! What are your favourite magazines? It’s always better when you don’t have to buy them aswell!

I never read magazines when I work out because I’m either riding my bike or running outside, or I’m in the yoga studio. It would take some skills to read and do those things at the same time. 🙂

I used to like some of the more popular fitness mags…until they put Kim Kardashian on the cover. I refuse to buy health magazines that support her when she’s pimping out diet pills to young girls.

So I like Oxygen, Women’s Health, Bicycling Magazine, Runner’s World, and Running Times! And I love almost all fashion mags 🙂

13. Katie says

I can’t read when working out. I was always amazed at the people in college who would STUDY while doing cardio. People at my gym now are always reading books and magazines, but I just can’t get my head to stop bopping enough to read the words!!

I subscribe to the Racheal Ray mag, but am always picking up lots of others like Family Circle and Cosmo. I picked a up a copy of O magazine for the first time ever this weekend because it had favorite things on the cover, but I wasn’t impressed with it.

It looks like you’ve been changing it up a bit on the breakfast front from your egg, cheese, and jam sandwiches! 😉

I really enjoy browsing through magazines when I’m walking on the treadmill or doing an easy workout on the elliptical, but like you said, it’s not as enjoyable to me when I’m doing a more strenuous workout like running or the stairclimber.

I reward myself with a lighter workout of reading on the elliptical before teaching Bodypump or Spin classes! I usually go for Fitness, Self, Shape, etc. first, but I also have a guilty pleasure of reading trash like People, OK and other gossip mags. 🙂

I love, love, love Self magazine and enjoy Fitness, too! But I have a terrible time trying to read on the elliptical! Too much movement and I don’t have a place to keep the magazine on my elliptical either. 🙂

I just started BodyPump in October and I am addicted!! I like to read magazines on the elliptical. My gym usually has US and Self. Sometimes they only have the news and men’s health. I also read runners world, health, fitness, and people stylewatch.

18. SarahB says

I love reading when doing cardio machines too, because I generally hate cardio machines compared to running outside. I think if I had a good movie or tv shows I actually watch playing, that’d make it easier, but not much is playing at 6am. Solution: books on ipod! I have started checking out audio books from our county library and putting them on my ipod for running. Makes the long runs while training for a half marathon so much less boring! Only problem is sometimes I focus on the book and less on my running speed, but for long runs generally I am just running to finish. I have found I also listen to them now when I take the dog walking without my husband. Keeps me entertained!

SUCH a good day when the gym replenishes its magazine supply! Yesterday morning I was thrilled to find a new copy of this month’s In Style. I love that one because it’s thick enough to last for multiple workouts!

20. Annie says

you know, depending on the gym you go to, i think it’d be awesome for you to get certified to instruct bodypump, and then offer your services to your gym! that is, if you’ve got the time/inclination to do so. i think you’d be great at it!

I always read magazines when doing any sort of cardio equipment. And for the record – that manipulation trick doesn’t work. At least when you have a too smart for her own good toddler. She’ll even call you out on it!

“Mommy. You trying to trick me? You can’t do that, T”.

And yes – my little M calls me T, Tina, and everything else besides mommy.

Christmas is coming up and for anyone who asks what I want, I will tell them I want a subscription to a magazine, shape, glamour, self. I will tell everyone a different magazine so I don’t get two the same. They are so affordable and soooo fun to receive in the mail.

23. Christina says

I typically only use the treadmill – so yes magazine reading is difficult. But anything that has a lot of pictures or large print is better, so I recently purchased an US Weekly subscription – now I can get my celeb gossip fix too! After I’m done I leave them at the gym for others to enjoy 🙂

You should try to incorporate some CrossFit-style workouts if you’re missing the endurance aspect of strength training. You don’t need to go to an actual CrossFit gym, just go to their website, CrossFit.com and look at their billions of WODs (Workout Of the Day) they have. Most will def get you sore and tired (but in a good way!!) 🙂 Every now and then I’ll post one on my blog (my boyfriend’s a CrossFit trainer and personal trainer so he makes his own up all the time!).

I love, love Sape, Self, and Runner’s World, Women’s Health, and Cosmo. It’s still my dream to write for them, and I’m still pretending like it could happen one day.

I just wanna be Andi Anderson from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days so badly.

Cinnamon protein powder sounds great. Too bad it’s discontinued! I think I’m the only person who can’t read and do light cardio at the same time. I am so unbelievably accident prone; I refuse to risk it!

27. dana says

I know you said you miss BP, but I feel like you look more muscular now that you’ve been lifting on your own. Maybe that’s just my perception from pictures. Have you liked lifting on your own though?

I was actually just talking to my roommate about this the other night, because she has to finish a really long book for her book club by tomorrow night. Anyway, we both agreed that we really wish we could read on the treadmill, but we just can’t! The up and down motion makes me lose my place and feel kind of sick!

Bahhaha I’m going to have to check out Parenting magzine….

I’ve never tried BodyPump but want to so badly! It’s not offered anywhere in my city 🙁

PS I have no clue how you read while on cardio machines. I would get so seasick.

I really subscribe to waaaaay too many magazines, but my favs are: People, Self, Rachael Ray, & Cooking Light.

The only way I can get cardio done in the gym is if I a)have a t.v. show to watch or b) have a great magazine to lose myself in. Good thing I DO subscribe to so many magazines!=more cardio.

31. Elisabeth says

I LOVE magazines, but don’t usually read them while working out (I usually walk/jog outside with my iPod). My favorites (subscribe to too many….) are: Time, Entertainment Weekly, People, Food Network, Good Housekeeping, Self…and more that I read copies of that are laying around at work 😉

i dont read them while i workout but man i buy like every single one. my favorites are womens health and oxygen (for working out), but also love instyle!! i FINALLY asked for subscriptions for xmas…usually i just buy them at the store hah

33. Loni says

HAHA. I’ve been following your blog since the summer but this is my first time leaving a comment. I cracked up at the part about making due with reading the same issues of magazines (especially ones that aren’t necessarily pertinent!) because I’ve totally been there with reading the same magazines (or even flipped through mail order catalogs!) to pass time by faster.

Def read magazines on the elliptical or the bike [can’t focus straight while I’m on the treadmill]! Some faves are: Cooking Light, Women’s Health, Self, Cosmopolitan, and People 🙂

35. Angela @ Health Hapiness & Harmony says

My favorite’s are Self, Fitness, Women’s Health and Shape. I like to browse through Women’s Day, Cooking LIght and Family Circle for some recipe inspiration too!

36. Mary says

I’ve been enjoying Best Health magazine. I actually thought of you as you could submit some work-out posts etc. They are owned by Readers Digest. I gave my friend a subscription for her Christmas gift this year as she is a fitness nut.

37. Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony says

My favorite’s are Self, Fitness, Women’s Health and Shape. I like to browse through Women’s Day, Cooking Light and Family Circle for some recipe inspiration too!

My fave magazine EVER is Oxygen. I also love Clean Eating, Food Network magazine, and Raechal Ray magazine. I used to like Women’s Health and Shape but now since falling in love with Oxygen, I can’t stand all the time they spend on fashion and beauty instead of nutrition and workouts!

Haha love that Ryan thinks you are going to use the parenting tips on him! And new magazines are the best! I like to read ones when working out that have longish articles so I’m not having to turn the page every 5 seconds! I have so many mag favorites but they include W, The New Yorker, Marie Claire, Glamour, Bazaar, In Style, Self… seriously the list goes on!

Reading on the elliptical is the best – but I love using my Kindle! I can keep up on my favorite books while getting a great workout. Careful with audio books, though. The other day I was listening to Tina Fey’s “Bossypants” while on the treadmill and kept getting weird looks from the guy next to me. I was laughing out load (and snorting I’m sure) without realizing it. Oops!! 🙂
    Great blog – keep it up and check out mine when you can!

41. Janey says

I once caught this old guy coming out of the bathroom with a bunch of magazines at the gym! Eeeeeeew! There is no way I am touching any magazine at my gym! So gross.

I’m a bit magazine reader while I do cardio. I mostly read magazines like Shape and Fitness while I work out. I can’t read while I’m on the treadmill either but on the elliptical, stair master or stationary bike it’s my go-to to make time go fast.

I am constantly reading my own magazines at the gym. O! The Oprah magazine, Self, Shape, Fitness, Glamour, Elle, Women’s Health, People, Entertainment Weekly, Time etc. I have a bit of a magazine subscription addiction 🙂

44. Lisa says

I can’t read while doing cardio…but my gym does have individual TVs on all the machines, so I get my fix of Ellen or Rachel Ray in the afternoons since we don’t have TV at home (which equals even more motivation to go!)

I ALWAYS read magazines on the elliptical or when I’m doing the incline on the treadmill-it makes the time go by so much faster! Really, working out is the only time that I get to read magazines, so it’s a real treat for me, and makes me stick with my workouts 😉

I usually read fitness and health-related magazines, Women’s Health being my top fav. I read that thing cover-to-cover and have yet to throw away any issue (my husband constantly complains about the ever-growing magazine tower in the corner of our living room).

I haven’t mastered the art of cardio + reading yet. I’m definitely not coordinated enough!

I regularly read Women’s Health, Shape, Health, Fitness, and Runners World. I try to talk myself out of buying them because most articles are online but my bank account never wins that battle…

I always grab a magazine when I hop on the elliptical. You’re right – it’s a challenge to read anything on the treadmill. Lately at my gym there have been some jerks who have been switching the covers of the trashy gossip magazines (which I love) and putting them on the boring finance mags or Sports Illustrated. I usually don’t start reading the magazines until I’m a few minutes in and then realize that I’m the sucker who fell for it 🙁

48. Susie says

I used to be a subscriber to People, Us and many others that I would save like a food-hoarder for my cardio sessions. Then I got a Kindle and now I get so wrapped up in my books that I am addicted to that and don’t even READ THE MAGAZINES AT ALL anymore! Of course, people.com is one of my first stops of every internet outing…. But I still keep up with my other mags somewhat, I just can’t really afford the subscriptions. Free Kindle books are just as great!

i do read on the TM. i think WH is the only one i’d read OFF it too. i’ve done it at home lately, but loved the side-eye glances i got when i read the BF’s Maxim at the gym!!! sometimes they have some cool articles (though i am less fond of the sexy intern of the month regular column!!).

oddly, it bothered me a LOT less than reading some articles in the typical women’s mags that can have big headlines about sex!

Love Glamour magazine and Elle, also loving Self and Zest (the UK equivalent of Self), plus runners world gets me pumped to go for a run. I find it hard though to keep moving when I’m reading! Also, slightly off topic, but Julie what time do you have to get up so that you and Ryan can do a proper workout before work?

I can only read magazines on the elliptical, and stair master (although I rarely do that machine), although 9/10 workouts I just listen to music. I get dizzy if I am doing anything where I’m bouncing around too much, and it keeps me from pushing as hard as I might want if I’m doing something other than steady state cardio. Some days when I don’t want to work out at all, though, I will treat myself to a new mag (usually Shape, Self, etc.) just to read on the elliptical. It’s great extra motivation!

52. Cassie says

I just discovered your blog and was so inspired for your lifestyle and recipes I went back as far as my Google Reader would let me and have been reading all day! This is probably unnecessary being that post is so old, but above I saw where you said your cinnamon role protein powder was discontinued. Have you ever heard of “About Time” protein powder? They have a cinnamon role protein powder also its really good! I am not affiliated with them or anything just a really good protein powder with tons of flavor!