New Magazines at Long Last

At long last, my gym had some new magazines on hand! I’ve made due with reading the same issues of Parenting and Better Homes & Gardens for too many weeks now.

(Ryan says he thinks I’m going to use the tips I learn in Parenting magazine on him. Like this one: If you want a kid to agree with your idea, ask them a series of questions to which you know they’ll answer yes and then sneak in your real question. Parenting magazine: Offering manipulation tips galore!)

Today I grabbed a new-to-me issue of Women’s Health from November 2011. An interesting magazine can make steady-state cardio go by so much faster.

My 20 minute warm up on the elliptical flew by. Before I knew it, my time was up and I was off to conquer this leg workout:

leg workout

Right after I finished the three minutes of non-stop squats (inspired by my long lost love, BodyPump), I told Ryan that I am going to be sore tomorrow. I can already tell!

My body isn’t used to doing endurance weight training like it was when I was doing BodyPump three times a week. (I miss BodyPump so much.

Breakfast today was fast and microwavable!

protein oatmeal banana 002

I combined oatmeal, milk and a scoop of (now discontinued) cinnamon bun protein powder in a bowl, heated everything for around three minutes, stirring regularly and adding more milk as needed.

I then sliced up a banana and stirred it into the mix.

protein oatmeal banana 005

Apparently a cold front is headed our way this evening, so this breakfast may be in order tomorrow morning too when I’ll need something to warm my belly!

Questions of the Morning

• Do you ever read magazines when you workout?
  • What are your favorite magazines?

I love reading magazines when I’m on the elliptical! (I have trouble reading anything when I’m on the treadmill or really pushing myself hard.)

Comments

Cinnamon protein powder sounds great. Too bad it’s discontinued! I think I’m the only person who can’t read and do light cardio at the same time. I am so unbelievably accident prone; I refuse to risk it!

2. dana says

I know you said you miss BP, but I feel like you look more muscular now that you’ve been lifting on your own. Maybe that’s just my perception from pictures. Have you liked lifting on your own though?

I was actually just talking to my roommate about this the other night, because she has to finish a really long book for her book club by tomorrow night. Anyway, we both agreed that we really wish we could read on the treadmill, but we just can’t! The up and down motion makes me lose my place and feel kind of sick!

Bahhaha I’m going to have to check out Parenting magzine….

I’ve never tried BodyPump but want to so badly! It’s not offered anywhere in my city :(

PS I have no clue how you read while on cardio machines. I would get so seasick.

I really subscribe to waaaaay too many magazines, but my favs are: People, Self, Rachael Ray, & Cooking Light.

The only way I can get cardio done in the gym is if I a)have a t.v. show to watch or b) have a great magazine to lose myself in. Good thing I DO subscribe to so many magazines!=more cardio.

6. Elisabeth says

I LOVE magazines, but don’t usually read them while working out (I usually walk/jog outside with my iPod). My favorites (subscribe to too many….) are: Time, Entertainment Weekly, People, Food Network, Good Housekeeping, Self…and more that I read copies of that are laying around at work ;)

i dont read them while i workout but man i buy like every single one. my favorites are womens health and oxygen (for working out), but also love instyle!! i FINALLY asked for subscriptions for xmas…usually i just buy them at the store hah

8. Loni says

HAHA. I’ve been following your blog since the summer but this is my first time leaving a comment. I cracked up at the part about making due with reading the same issues of magazines (especially ones that aren’t necessarily pertinent!) because I’ve totally been there with reading the same magazines (or even flipped through mail order catalogs!) to pass time by faster.

Def read magazines on the elliptical or the bike [can't focus straight while I'm on the treadmill]! Some faves are: Cooking Light, Women’s Health, Self, Cosmopolitan, and People :)

10. Mary says

I’ve been enjoying Best Health magazine. I actually thought of you as you could submit some work-out posts etc. They are owned by Readers Digest. I gave my friend a subscription for her Christmas gift this year as she is a fitness nut.

My fave magazine EVER is Oxygen. I also love Clean Eating, Food Network magazine, and Raechal Ray magazine. I used to like Women’s Health and Shape but now since falling in love with Oxygen, I can’t stand all the time they spend on fashion and beauty instead of nutrition and workouts!

Haha love that Ryan thinks you are going to use the parenting tips on him! And new magazines are the best! I like to read ones when working out that have longish articles so I’m not having to turn the page every 5 seconds! I have so many mag favorites but they include W, The New Yorker, Marie Claire, Glamour, Bazaar, In Style, Self… seriously the list goes on!

Reading on the elliptical is the best – but I love using my Kindle! I can keep up on my favorite books while getting a great workout. Careful with audio books, though. The other day I was listening to Tina Fey’s “Bossypants” while on the treadmill and kept getting weird looks from the guy next to me. I was laughing out load (and snorting I’m sure) without realizing it. Oops!! :-)
    Great blog – keep it up and check out mine when you can!

14. Janey says

I once caught this old guy coming out of the bathroom with a bunch of magazines at the gym! Eeeeeeew! There is no way I am touching any magazine at my gym! So gross.

I’m a bit magazine reader while I do cardio. I mostly read magazines like Shape and Fitness while I work out. I can’t read while I’m on the treadmill either but on the elliptical, stair master or stationary bike it’s my go-to to make time go fast.

I am constantly reading my own magazines at the gym. O! The Oprah magazine, Self, Shape, Fitness, Glamour, Elle, Women’s Health, People, Entertainment Weekly, Time etc. I have a bit of a magazine subscription addiction :)

17. Lisa says

I can’t read while doing cardio…but my gym does have individual TVs on all the machines, so I get my fix of Ellen or Rachel Ray in the afternoons since we don’t have TV at home (which equals even more motivation to go!)

I ALWAYS read magazines on the elliptical or when I’m doing the incline on the treadmill-it makes the time go by so much faster! Really, working out is the only time that I get to read magazines, so it’s a real treat for me, and makes me stick with my workouts ;-)

I usually read fitness and health-related magazines, Women’s Health being my top fav. I read that thing cover-to-cover and have yet to throw away any issue (my husband constantly complains about the ever-growing magazine tower in the corner of our living room).

I haven’t mastered the art of cardio + reading yet. I’m definitely not coordinated enough!

I regularly read Women’s Health, Shape, Health, Fitness, and Runners World. I try to talk myself out of buying them because most articles are online but my bank account never wins that battle…

I always grab a magazine when I hop on the elliptical. You’re right – it’s a challenge to read anything on the treadmill. Lately at my gym there have been some jerks who have been switching the covers of the trashy gossip magazines (which I love) and putting them on the boring finance mags or Sports Illustrated. I usually don’t start reading the magazines until I’m a few minutes in and then realize that I’m the sucker who fell for it :(

21. Susie says

I used to be a subscriber to People, Us and many others that I would save like a food-hoarder for my cardio sessions. Then I got a Kindle and now I get so wrapped up in my books that I am addicted to that and don’t even READ THE MAGAZINES AT ALL anymore! Of course, people.com is one of my first stops of every internet outing…. But I still keep up with my other mags somewhat, I just can’t really afford the subscriptions. Free Kindle books are just as great!

i do read on the TM. i think WH is the only one i’d read OFF it too. i’ve done it at home lately, but loved the side-eye glances i got when i read the BF’s Maxim at the gym!!! sometimes they have some cool articles (though i am less fond of the sexy intern of the month regular column!!).

oddly, it bothered me a LOT less than reading some articles in the typical women’s mags that can have big headlines about sex!

Love Glamour magazine and Elle, also loving Self and Zest (the UK equivalent of Self), plus runners world gets me pumped to go for a run. I find it hard though to keep moving when I’m reading! Also, slightly off topic, but Julie what time do you have to get up so that you and Ryan can do a proper workout before work?

I can only read magazines on the elliptical, and stair master (although I rarely do that machine), although 9/10 workouts I just listen to music. I get dizzy if I am doing anything where I’m bouncing around too much, and it keeps me from pushing as hard as I might want if I’m doing something other than steady state cardio. Some days when I don’t want to work out at all, though, I will treat myself to a new mag (usually Shape, Self, etc.) just to read on the elliptical. It’s great extra motivation!

25. Cassie says

I just discovered your blog and was so inspired for your lifestyle and recipes I went back as far as my Google Reader would let me and have been reading all day! This is probably unnecessary being that post is so old, but above I saw where you said your cinnamon role protein powder was discontinued. Have you ever heard of “About Time” protein powder? They have a cinnamon role protein powder also its really good! I am not affiliated with them or anything just a really good protein powder with tons of flavor!