Directional Genius

Late in the afternoon when Ryan and I were battling snickerdoodle cookie comas yesterday, we figured that getting outside and going for a long walk was a much better way to fight sugar fatigue than bumming around on the couch for the rest of evening.

We leashed Sadie up and headed out to a nearby park to explore a new area.

hiking 032

hiking 031

We saw a ton of runners and bikers on the path and I completely understand its appeal. The whole path was paved and super wide which made it ideal for all different kinds of activities. I want to bring my rollerblades out there soon!

We planned to do a small loop, but ended up getting a little lost and wound up walking for about two hours.

Shockingly I was the one who suggested the right way home for once, but I listened to Ryan’s inclination to turn a different direction since his sense of direction is typically about 5,000 times better than mine. (We laugh because I always feel like whatever way I’m facing at the time is north. Naturally.)

Well, when I realized my directional prowess surpassed his for once, Sadie and I celebrated with a victory picture by the trail sign.

hiking 036

I’m not sure Sadie actually deserved to be in that victory picture because if we would’ve followed her directional inclination, we would’ve found ourselves in the middle of the woods, but she makes any picture better, so I snatched her up!

We spent the remainder of the night eating lasagna and watching Polar Express on the DVR. It felt awfully Christmasy in our house until the lights on the top of our Christmas tree went out. Such a bummer!

Workout

We got to bed nice and early last night, so today’s 5 a.m. wake up call didn’t feel too torturous.

I began my workout with 20 minutes on the elliptical before completing this leg workout:

leg workout

Post-workout, I was ready for a good breakfast!

Today’s morning meal included scrambled eggs made with two eggs, lots of shredded mozzarella cheese and milk…

scrambled eggs 002

…plus a lightly buttered whole wheat bagel on the side.

scrambled eggs 003

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!

Comments

I surprisingly have a pretty good sense of direction. A lot of times I’ll just drive somewhere assuming I’ll be able to find my destination! haha Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t & I curse myself for not looking up directions first!

Looks like a beautiful trail! We have a short trail (not as wide) like that around my home, but it is closed for the winter (as they don’t want to plow it). Enjoy your shorts-wearing weather, I’ll be living vicariously through you in the meantime while I bundle up in multiple layers of ColdGear!

The middle section of lights went out on our tree last year and it drove me nuts! I ended up spending 3 hours untangling the lights from the tree (while the decorations were still on) and searching for the culprit bulb never to find it. I ended up just buying more and restringing the lights with the decorations still on! We only had 2 glass bulb casualties :)

• says

that’s how i am… it would be funny if i wasn’t SO bad. when we went to drop off my car at the repair shop, i had just been there the previous week and yet i took ryan 30 minutes out of the way b/c i forgot where it was. awfullll.

I have a pretty good sense of direction, but I also hate being wrong, so I often will take others’ directions and then, when they’re wrong, do a big “I told you so!” It’s a really winning, non-obnoxious personality trait :) ha.

5. Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony says

It was 25 degrees here this morning! I’ve been leaning toward the savory, hot breakfasts too lately!

Good job on the directions! I have the most directionally challenged roommate/friend ever, which is funny because she’s extremely smart in every other facet of life. She still calls me sometimes because she’s lost, and we’ve been living in our place since June lol.

I have a sort of freakish sense of direction. It actually offends me when my husband questions my direction. Good thing I’m almost never wrong. I am craptastic at other things, like fixing said car that gets us around, for example.

I have the WORST since of direction but I always think I am right haha. I always force my boyfriend to follow my lead and we end up lost. Your breakfast looks nummy and I think it is going to inspire my lunch :)

I love my little Frenchie but sometimes I wish he had more of a stamina to go out to parks and on hikes! We took him to a festival yesterday in downtown Austin and we ended up carrying him halfway thru because he was so tired!

10. ML says

Julie-

I’ve been meaning to tell you: I joined the YMCA a few weeks ago and tried body pump! So far I’ve been twice and it’s fantastic– such a great work out! i would never have tried it if i hadn’t read about it on your blog. I’m on the other side of the country (california) so obviously different instructor and music, but it’s pretty awesome so far! Definitely planning on going back. Just wanted to let you know!

11. heather says

oh my gosh – cracking up b/c my husband teases me about thinking whatever way i’m facing/going is north! i’m no dummy, but i am directionally – and spatially-challenged.

12. tracy says

I ran 15 miles at the Ocala greenway yesterday morning with some girlfriends! We go there all the time because of some of the exact reasons you mentioned!!

If you start at the Baseline trailhead and don’t make any turns and keep going until you get to another parking lot and come back it’s about 5 miles!