Jump Rope Circuit Workout

Not only do I get so excited when I do a new circuit workout, but I get so pumped to share it with you guys!

Today, after 20 minutes on the elliptical, I hopped off and made up a brand new cardio circuit workout that took me about 30 minutes to complete. It focused on a lot of jump roping and got me super sweaty!

Jump rope circuit
Pin It

Let me just say that the 30 seconds of rest between each exercise simply flew by and I felt like I was moving around like a madwoman. It was awesome and a workout you could easily do at home.

I also liked this workout because it was a primarily cardio-focused workout and I didn’t want to do a circuit that worked my arms or legs too much since I just did workouts that focused on strength training on Monday and Tuesday of this week. It was a winner!

We did a pretty good job of going through the eggs in our fridge this week and only have one little guy remaining, but he should be okay through Christmas since eggs take a while to expire.

Today’s morning meal included two fried eggs, served atop a toasted bagel with muenster cheese and raspberry jelly.

egg sandwich 020

A staple in this house!

egg sandwich 022

The Violets of March

Guess who finished The Violets of March last night? Yep, it was definitely the kind of book that I just had to get through in two sittings. I have a lot to say about the book – particularly the ending and my thoughts on Esther – and can’t wait for the discussion on January 4.

Time to get to work! Christmas break officially begins for me and Ryan tonight (assuming I am really productive today, that is) and I am stoked!

Comments

ay yay yay that workout looks intense!! jump rope is some serious business!

your bagel sammie looks delish as always. we are in florida and i finally spotted some of those alternative bagels at publix yesterday. can’t wait to give them a try!

Your breakfast sandwiches always look so good! I finally have some raspberry preserves in my house. I think I’m going to try making this sometime soon for breakfast :)

I have a lot to say about that book too!! SO good–and intriguing–I finished it in 2 sittings as well. Hah.

Love me a good workout in the a.m.! My sister is coming to my BodyPUMP class I teach today–so I am stoked!

And I’ll prob have an egg sandwich after…..just sayin’ 😉

Yeah, no kidding– that workout looks tough! I go to a class at my gym that has a similar circuit, and I leave absolutely drenched. Great way to start Tuesdays and Thursdays :)

The only thing is that I worry about my knees a bit with moves like squat jumps.

HOORAY for Christmas break! I haven’t read the Violets yet, but I may try to pick it up this week and do some extra reading during my TWO four day weekends coming up! [just in time for discussion :) ]

Your having read it so quickly makes me think I’ll get through it in a jiffy!

Wow, I can’t believe you finished a book in 2 sittings!!! Great workout too… I’ve been doing toonnnns of skipping lately as well, and designing workouts that I can do over the holidays when I’m in Italy and without gym access! This one sounds like a winner!

I just finished the Violets of March, also! I know what you mean – I couldn’t wait to find out how it turned out!! I wasn’t sleeping until that baby was done!

I like the looks of that workout! I might have to give that a try today since the rain seems to have put an end to my hopes to run.

I also finished Violets of March last night! I loved the story, but I also have a lot of unanswered questions. I’d like to see a book written from Bee’s point of view!!

9. Jillian says

Thanks for making all of your new work outs ‘pinable’. My hammies are still sore from the incline warm up. Looking forward to the jump circuit. Merry Christmas!

Ahh I can’t wait to finish Violets of March…it has completely sucked me in :). And that circuit workout looks awesome! I’m going to pin it right now and maybe I’ll try it later this week. I don’t know if I can handle 60 seconds of burpees though haha.

i love the looks of this cardio circuit workout! it’s especially appealing to me because like you said, it can be done at home. i think i’ll plan on this one tomorrow for my cardio workout! i’m curious too, since your half marathon training, do you have a new workout “schedule” in place? or are you just kinda doing what you feel each day?

12. Kaelin says

I love the looks of that workout! I don’t have a gym nearby, and I could definitely do this at home while I am watching TV. Thanks Julie!!

I downloaded the audio version of The Violets of March to listen on the drive home for Christmas. Can’t wait to get it started this afternoon!

13. Briana says

I’m a littttttle behind and just now starting hunger games which I love so far! And that cardio workout looks awesome; I’m getting tired of my usual ones. I just have one question though. Why do you do 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical if you knew you were going to be doing a 30 minute cardio circuit? If that’s just what you’re used to that’s great, just makes me feel a bit lame doing one or the other 😉 hahah

• says

i almost always do 20 min. of light cardio as a warm up (light being cardio i can do while maintaining a steady conversation) unless i’m going for a run. today i wasn’t sure what i was gonna do for a workout right when i got to the gym (as is the case most days) and just did my usual warm up!

14. tamsin says

love your workouts! nice to change things up a bit. just wondering what a skater exercise involves? thanks and love your blog – i find myself reading it all the time!! tam xx

I’ve done a set of jumping jacks and lunges the past couple of days and danggg, they’re making my legs burn! Doing them reminds me of playing youth sports- we’d always do them as a “warm-up” and now I’m incorporating them into my workout… I feel old 😛

16. dee says

I’m glad you’re raving about the violets of march! I’m a tutor, and have been searching for a good book to buy my tutee (she’s in the 10th grade)! She’s into mysteries and all that jazz; so based on some reviews I read online, this book sounds facinating! I’m intrigued and want to pick up a copy for myself NOW..I can’t wait to read and discuss with her!

The Violets of March. I never heard of it, but you had me intrigued so I googled it. I read the first chapter online, now I must go find it. Sounds really good. I won’t read your review on it until I have a chance to read the book, but, I’m curious if you liked the it? (If you read it in two sittings, I take it you did!)

Omgosh I can’t believe this!!! I have been following your posts about the Violets of March and how good of a read it is so I just googled/amazon’d it – based on Bainbridge??!! I live on Bainbridge Island!!!! NOw i MUST read it!!!!

19. Kari says

Love your blog, Julie! I did this jump rope circuit today and it was AWESOME! I worked up quite the sweat! Also, I tried (keyword) to do 100 squats earlier this week. Let’s just say I am still feeling the burn. Holy moly, my boyfriend says it look like my legs are going to give out every time I walk, ha! Thanks for sharing all your great fitness ideas. Happy holidays!

20. Melissa R says

I know you finished Violets of March, which I haven’t read yet, but just wanted to let you know that the author has a new book coming out next week (or very soon). Just read a interview with her on anther blog.

21. Gina says

I just finished The Violets of March today. I couldn’t put it down and I haven’t felt so engrossed in a book in such a long time, it felt so good! Looking forward to the discussion :)

22. Jordan says

So I did the jump rope workout two days ago and my calves still hurt so bad I can hardly walk. I love it!!! I’ll definitely be doing this again as soon as I’m not waddling around like penguin 😉

23. Lexi says

This workout is absolutely fantastic. I have not been able to run as much as I usually do from a lacrosse injury, but your jump rope workouts really get the job done. I find myself breathing just as hard as if I were running. These workouts are amazing, thanks for all of them!!

P.S 1-minue of burpees seems so daunting and is no easy task at all, but there are few things as satisfying as the burn after that.