How to Make Overnight Oats

Good Monday morning!

We’ll talk overnight oats in a minute, but first let’s recap today’s workout!

overnight oats

Workout

I awoke this morning feeling rather sluggish. Yesterday’s day of rest also turned into a day of mindless eating as the night wore on, which left me feeling uncomfortably full as we went to bed. Blah.

All the more reason to begin this week on a healthy note!

Lately I feel like my snacks have been filled with more sugar and less nutrients than usual and my mission this week is to change that.

Full speed ahead! Smile

Today’s workout was a good one. Ryan and I began our time at the gym with 20 minutes of cardio split between the stair master and the elliptical. I requested 10 minutes on the stair master and Ryan grudgingly agreed, saying that the stair master isn’t a warm up, but a seriously legit workout. It is tough and I like how it almost immediately gets me sweating.

Then it was time for a leg workout:

leg workout

The final exercise really hammered it home for me because I took my time to do each rep incredibly sloooow. My buns were burnin’!

How to Make Overnight Oats

how to make overnight oats

I eat a lot of overnight oats. They pop up on this blog all the time because I think they are delicious and I love how they make breakfast so easy since all the prep work is done the night before.

I tried them for the first time after reading about them on a bunch of blogs. I thought they were disgusting at first because I never made them quite right and the texture was always off.

I know that there are tons of recipes for overnight oats all over the internet, so definitely check them out and try out a bunch of different recipes to find the one you most enjoy!

Here are some recipes I found that seem to get good reviews:

Many people make overnight oats with just oats and milk as a base, but I’ve found that my favorite overnight oats include four main ingredients.

BREAKFAST 020

• Old fashioned oats
  • Milk (I’ve used both almond milk and regular milk and both work well!)
  • Chia seeds
  • Greek yogurt

It actually took me a lot of playing around with oats, milk, yogurt and chia seeds to finally get the combination that I felt like yielded the perfect consistency and thickness.

I now eye-ball measurements every time I make overnight oats, but last night I took the time to actually measure everything since I’ve received a few requests for my exact overnight oats recipe and had a lot of you comment and email me complaining about overly-liquidy oats.

First, I combine one 6-ounce container of Greek yogurt, two tablespoons chia seeds, 2/3 cup oats and 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.

BREAKFAST 027

I then stir it up, cover the oats and let them sit in the fridge overnight.

They will go from this…

BREAKFAST 029

To this…

BREAKFAST 043

BREAKFAST 045

Very thick and chewy!

In the morning, I stir the super-thick oats and add in another 1/4 cup of milk to make everything slightly more liquidy, but still quite thick.

Then it’s time to top the oats with fresh fruit, nuts or nut butter and dig in!

BREAKFAST 049

BREAKFAST 055

A couple of notes:

• To me, the key to my favorite overnight oats is the inclusion of chia seeds. These cannot be substituted because they add thickness to the oats that simply cannot be duplicated. If you do not have or do not like chia seeds, you may wish to reduce the amount of milk in the overnight oats to maintain thickness.
  • If I am using plain Greek yogurt, I will add about one tablespoon of honey or fruit preserves to the oats before letting them sit overnight for a bit of sweetness.

Question of the Morning

• Have you ever tried overnight oats?
  • What is your favorite way to make overnight oats? Feel free to link to a favorite recipe!

Comments

1. Lindsay says

Quick question – how many servings does this recipe make? Is it all your or do you split it with your hubs? Since we can’t just whip more up if there’s not enough I want to make sure I start out on the right foot. Thanks!!!

This is such a good idea! I’m hopeless at thinking about what I want to eat in the morning so to have something tasty already prepared sounds perfect. I even have a pack of jumbo oats in the cupboard at the moment- will definitely have to give this a try :)

I just “stumbled” across your blog and I’m officially obsessed :) I made these for the first time last night and they were wonderful! I’m a full-time working mom of a 2 year old and preparing breakfast the night before really saved me time (and a trip through the drive-thru) Thanks!

I’m an idiot! I honestly thought you had overnight oats hot – it never occurred to me that you’d eat them cold! I’ve never tried them as I figured my regular porridge is pretty much the same thin and much less effort. Ha!! Definitely going to give these a try now. And If I love them and end up cursing for not trying them sooner, then hopefully it’ll be a good lesson in reading things properly before :-)

x

5. Jenn says

Ok, so after looking at this blog religously everyday I have started to use some of your circut workouts because I was getting bored with my current workouts. I tend to eat the same breakfast items throughout the week so, much like my workouts I have been getting bored so I decided to try over night oats. OBSESSED! So delicious and I haven’t stopped thinking about them since (I am currently eating lunch…). I was nervous I wouldnt like the tecture so I added a tiny bit of dried fruit, fresh fruit, and almond slices and I am totally hooked and make more for tomorrow (espeically in this heat wave in Massachusetts!) Thank you so much for all your tips, recipes, and positive attitude!

6. Marie says

I followed this recipe but didn’t add chia seeds and added a little less milk. They were SO delicious and I’ll definitely be eating these every morning for a cool summer breakfast :) Thanks for the recipe!

7. Isabelle says

Just made my first batch of overnight oats! I used skim milk, oats, and plain greek yogurt and at first it was terrible…I vowed to eat a quarter of this batch and thought of a pretty good way to add some flavor and now I’m enjoying them warm :) Made the recipe as called but without the chia seeds, as I haven’t found them at my store. Then added a small amount of hot chocolate powder (because I didn’t have cocoa or any other powder to add flavor) and then popped them in the micro and added strawberries on top :) Next time I’ll be sure to use flavored yogurt! Thanks for sharing!

8. Diana says

I’ve heard of these SO many times and finally decided to give them a go when I came across them on your blog (which I adore, by the way). I think this is my new breakfast addiction for this warm summer weather. And the different ingredient combinations seem endless! Thanks:-)

9. Ariana says

So I just tried this…and so far, definitely not my thing. I didn’t like the taste so much. Texture was fine, temperature was fine, but I couldn’t get past the yogurt-y tangy taste. Any suggestions??? I want to like it lol!!!

10. Kendra says

I tried this last night and this morning I was greeted with a delicious, filling & healthy breakfast! I didn’t have flavored greek yogurt, so I used plain along with a squirt of honey and a tablespoon of sugar free jam in to add sweetness & flavor. I am a newbie to chia seeds and I just LOVE them! Thanks for the recipe!

11. Sarahlee says

Hey! Just an update- I am LOVING my overnight oats! I have been using the Quick Oats because I had them and didn’t want to waste and follow your directions- I use coconut almond milk instead of regular milk and in the morning I chop up some apples and a spoonful of almond butter YUMMERS!!!
    The serving works for two mornings for me which is AWESOME given that AM time is also super rushed
    BTW your blog has been SUPER keeping the workout bordem at bay- I am OBSESSED with your treadmill work outs!! Keep doin what your doin!!! :)

12. Brittany says

I just tried your overnight oats recipe and really enjoyed them. Almost couldn’t finish the bowl, they were still pretty thick (and very filling) even after the additional milk. After you’ve eaten something like overnight oats, how long do you wait before exercising? I hate that sick feeling at the gym after I’ve eaten too close to my workout. Do you have any tip or a good rule of thumb?

Tried an overnight recipe from another site a couple of months ago that was just tolerable… but I very much enjoyed yours this morning. But just wanted to check, is this intended to be one serving or two? I ate about half of it and had to stick the rest in the fridge. So filling! Yum!!! I do appreciate all your serving sizes though… like with your pancakes and such. The banana bread protein pancakes were an awesome lunch for me the other day. Thanks!

14. Eden says

I have just made a batch to try in the morning! I have been wanting to make them for ages and finally have given them a go! Can’t wait to try them. Oats are my fave breakky, I am addicted to a microwave packet – baked blueberry and apple bake (from here in australia)! But I don’t like the fact that I am eating porridge with preservatives etc in it when oats are such a simple thing to make. Thank you for all your recipes too, I have found my fitness and health mojo again after weeks of being off the wagon! I think its all thanks to you and your wonderful PBF blog, your VERY inspiring and I look forward to reading your blog every day! I have even been reading it while I have been on holiday! Now Im back its time to get back into healthy eating and a healthier lifestyle!
    x

15. Dylan says

I FINALLY tried overnight oats and loove! I used my vanilla Greek yogurt, vanilla almond milk and lots of cinnamon (my true obsession) but they were delish! Thanks so much for the recipe! I also tried the coffee green smoothie the other day and loved that also, I’m a huge spinach fan and live off of coffee so it was right up my alley :)

Big fan of your blog!

16. Maureen says

I tried overnight oats for the first time today! I liked it a lot, but don’t love greek yogurt. I used the greek yogurt with honey…ok to use other flavored greek yogurt or just “regular” yogurt instead? Also, noticed that Chia seeds are high in calories…would cutting to 1 tablespoon instead still make it thick? Thanks, love your blog!

Made these for the first time and had them this morning! I have a dairy allergy so I used almond milk and almond milk yogurt (how amazing is it that nondairy yogurt is available??). It tasted a little odd at first (due to the almond milk/yogurt combo, I’m sure), but once my palette adjusted I LOVED it. This will become a regular breakfast option for me. I’m a runner and it’s also perfect running fuel! Thank you for the recipe!

18. Pedro says

Tried my first batch of overnight oats this morning…I accidently got the Microwaveable (1-minute oats), and not sure if that is much different from the old fashioned, but followed the above directions and it is very tasty, but very thick. I think I’m going to try this again tonight, but add another 1/4 cup of milk to get the consistency right. Very filling and extremely healthy meal! Kudos for posting this PBF!

That looks so incredible! Overnight oats are delicious. I’m always curious which yogurt people like to add to it. Have you ever tried adding a flavored yogurt, like strawberry yogurt? I bet that would be delicious!

New favorite pregnancy breakfast! Its already ready so I can just eat it since I’m not into dealing much with food in the am. AND?? my toddler loves it too! BONUS! Thanks for posting, I’ve seen a lot of these floating around but they’re always so complicated! This was so easy! And the variations are endless but they are also good with just a flavored greek yogurt (so far my favorite is Toasted Coconut Vanilla with almond slivers, aaahhh…)

Love your blog, I always read it on my phone during the kiddo’s nap time!

21. Callie says

I have heard of so many failed attempts at overnight oats without chia seeds but mine always come out just fine! I’m sure chia seeds have lots of health benefits and all that, but I just can’t get over the fact that I would be eating the same thing I used to plant in my Chia Pet — or that they are $10 a bag around here. :) I follow the proportions in your recipe, using 2/3 cup quick oats, 3/4 cup yogurt (Greek makes the mixture thicker, but I’ve found regular yogurt works as well), and 1/2 cup milk (I use almond), and my overnight oats always come out extremely thick! I think it’s the difference between old fashioned oats and quick oats. Typically I try to sweeten my oats with just a little bit of Ovaltine/Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate overnight oats are my favorite!) or a really ripe smashed banana, but generally I just short-cut it, don’t worry about the added sugar, and use flavored yogurt right from the start! Blueberry, strawberry, and even coffee flavored are really good, and I never get tired of oats when there are so many flavors of yogurt to choose from these days!