Marinara Chicken Melts

Last night’s dinner was so easy, but had both me and Ryan “mmm-ing” over how good it was for a little too long.

marinara chicken melts 004

Marinara chicken melts!

marinara chicken melts 001

To make the melts, I combined about two cups of shredded chicken that we had leftover from a chicken we roasted over the weekend. I then poured marinara sauce over the meat until it was saturated in tomato sauce.

After toasting two pieces of whole wheat bread, I topped the bread with the chicken and some shredded cheese and microwaved it until the cheese melted a bit.

marinara chicken melts 005

Roasted green beans added a pop of green to the plate.

marinara chicken melts 007

Not too shabby for a Monday night!

After dinner and a walk with Sadie, we watched The Bachelor (and the Bulls game during the commercials… plus Ryan DVRed it). Courtney had me swirling further and further in to a world of irritation with each lip bite and “winning” comment. Ah.

I capped off the night with a little bit of reading and am about halfway through The Night Circus. I’m entertained, but not enthralled.

Workout

Today’s workout was good. I started with a 20-minute cardio warm up split between the stair master and the elliptical, which I completed while reading a 2009 issue of Shape magazine. I take what I can get!

Then it was time for an upper body and abdominal workout. I kept things movin’ pretty quickly today and my arms and abs were feeling the burn.

arms and abs workout
Pin It

I really liked alternating abdominal exercises with upper body strength exercises. It was a nice change of pace and kept me entertained and working hard.

Breakfast this morning looked like donkey doodoo, but tasted great.

chocolate protein oatmeal

I made myself a bowl of chocolate protein oats by stirring up the following before microwaving it for two minutes (stirring every 30 seconds to prevent overflow):

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Extreme Milk Chocolate protein powder
  • 1 spoonful peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • Enough almond milk to make everything moist

A cup of peppermint crème coffee brought a punch of caffeine to the table.

peppermint creme coffee

The caffeine buzz is getting to me today in a good way. I’m feeling productive and am off to make the most of it!

Comments

1. Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled says

That melt looks so good! Anything with melty cheese has to be good, right?

My husband always says that the stuff I eat looks like poo, but I figure as long as it tastes good, does it matter what it looks like? If I was serving it to others, I’d care, but not when it’s just me.

I love your blog so much! You always have such awesome workouts and delicious food and such a fun approach to everything! I plan on doing that workout later today and buying some pumpkin so I can make that breakfast. Love it :)

I feel silly for never combining shredded chicken + marinara sauce- it’s like an Italian BBQ style sandwich!

P.S. The Bachelor is so bad this season it’s so good… Some of those girls are completely bonkers! But I will admit, they get to travel throughout the world for free and experience some totes awesome things!

This sounds delicious, and super easy for a college kid like me that doesn’t always have a kitchen at hand! I actually have some left over tomato basil pasta sauce that I’ll use! Now I’m excited for dinner! Hope you have an awesome day, gorgeous!

I feel you on the Night Circus not being enthralling. I do like it though and it keeps getting more interesting! I’m about halfway through too. Not going to make a decision until after I finish it. But, I have to say I think the WSJ way over shot by calling it the next Harry Potter.

6. Nathan Miller says

Congrats on the interview and a good one at that! Thanks for sharing and cheers to countless PB fingers the rest evening to celebrate the day

7. Jenny says

I have also come to love the distopian genre- thanks for giving me a name for it!

You should really read “Matched”. It is the first of a three part series, and I loved it…mix of hunger games and the maze runner series with more romance added in. I have only finished the first book, but I am hoping the rest are just as good!

8. Deena C. says

Julie, thanks for this dinner idea!! After reading this yesterday, I quickly pulled out the ingredients to make this for dinner. My husband and I loved it!! Easy and delicious!!

It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.