Marinara Chicken Melts

Last night’s dinner was so easy, but had both me and Ryan “mmm-ing” over how good it was for a little too long.

marinara chicken melts 004

Marinara chicken melts!

marinara chicken melts 001

To make the melts, I combined about two cups of shredded chicken that we had leftover from a chicken we roasted over the weekend. I then poured marinara sauce over the meat until it was saturated in tomato sauce.

After toasting two pieces of whole wheat bread, I topped the bread with the chicken and some shredded cheese and microwaved it until the cheese melted a bit.

marinara chicken melts 005

Roasted green beans added a pop of green to the plate.

marinara chicken melts 007

Not too shabby for a Monday night!

After dinner and a walk with Sadie, we watched The Bachelor (and the Bulls game during the commercials… plus Ryan DVRed it). Courtney had me swirling further and further in to a world of irritation with each lip bite and “winning” comment. Ah.

I capped off the night with a little bit of reading and am about halfway through The Night Circus. I’m entertained, but not enthralled.

Workout

Today’s workout was good. I started with a 20-minute cardio warm up split between the stair master and the elliptical, which I completed while reading a 2009 issue of Shape magazine. I take what I can get!

Then it was time for an upper body and abdominal workout. I kept things movin’ pretty quickly today and my arms and abs were feeling the burn.

arms and abs workout
Pin It

I really liked alternating abdominal exercises with upper body strength exercises. It was a nice change of pace and kept me entertained and working hard.

Breakfast this morning looked like donkey doodoo, but tasted great.

chocolate protein oatmeal

I made myself a bowl of chocolate protein oats by stirring up the following before microwaving it for two minutes (stirring every 30 seconds to prevent overflow):

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Extreme Milk Chocolate protein powder
  • 1 spoonful peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • Enough almond milk to make everything moist

A cup of peppermint crème coffee brought a punch of caffeine to the table.

peppermint creme coffee

The caffeine buzz is getting to me today in a good way. I’m feeling productive and am off to make the most of it!

Comments

That melt looks so good! Anything with melty cheese has to be good, right?

My husband always says that the stuff I eat looks like poo, but I figure as long as it tastes good, does it matter what it looks like? If I was serving it to others, I’d care, but not when it’s just me.

I love your blog so much! You always have such awesome workouts and delicious food and such a fun approach to everything! I plan on doing that workout later today and buying some pumpkin so I can make that breakfast. Love it :)

I feel silly for never combining shredded chicken + marinara sauce- it’s like an Italian BBQ style sandwich!

P.S. The Bachelor is so bad this season it’s so good… Some of those girls are completely bonkers! But I will admit, they get to travel throughout the world for free and experience some totes awesome things!

This sounds delicious, and super easy for a college kid like me that doesn’t always have a kitchen at hand! I actually have some left over tomato basil pasta sauce that I’ll use! Now I’m excited for dinner! Hope you have an awesome day, gorgeous!

I feel you on the Night Circus not being enthralling. I do like it though and it keeps getting more interesting! I’m about halfway through too. Not going to make a decision until after I finish it. But, I have to say I think the WSJ way over shot by calling it the next Harry Potter.

6. Nathan Miller says

Congrats on the interview and a good one at that! Thanks for sharing and cheers to countless PB fingers the rest evening to celebrate the day

7. Jenny says

I have also come to love the distopian genre- thanks for giving me a name for it!

You should really read “Matched”. It is the first of a three part series, and I loved it…mix of hunger games and the maze runner series with more romance added in. I have only finished the first book, but I am hoping the rest are just as good!

8. Deena C. says

Julie, thanks for this dinner idea!! After reading this yesterday, I quickly pulled out the ingredients to make this for dinner. My husband and I loved it!! Easy and delicious!!

It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.