A Dog’s Life

This morning, as I worked, I boiled a bunch of eggs so I would have hard boiled eggs on hand for egg salad at lunchtime.

I ended up eating a bunch of them as a morning snack along with some peanut butter fingers (not together, obviously), but still wanted egg salad for lunch when noon rolled around.

egg salad 012

I made the egg salad by combining the following:

• 2 hard boiled eggs + 1 hard boiled egg white, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Light Miracle Whip (mayo may also be used)
  • 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
  • 2 tablespoons sweet relish

Clearly it made more egg salad than could fit on my whole wheat hot dog bun, so I ate the rest on the side along with a Babybel light cheese wheel and sliced red pepper.

egg salad 015

egg salad 016

A Dog’s Life

I had a rather odd thought this morning as I took Sadie on her morning walk.

Sometimes I think Sadie has it made. She has no real stresses in life. No responsibilities. She is fed, housed and exercised daily and her biggest disappointment of the day occurs when we don’t give her every bite of food off of our dinner plates.

dog pajamas red 039

Other days, I think it would be awful to be a dog. You have absolutely no say in what you do everyday. You eat the same thing over and over again while those around you dig into food that smells intoxicatingly delicious. People are constantly telling you “no” and leaving you behind.

curried chicken 013

This morning I realized that how I feel about Sadie’s life – whether I envy it or pity it – totally depends on how I’m feeling about my own life.

I think her life is unbelievably amazing when I am stressed and upset and I feel like her life would be completely dull and uneventful when I’m feeling happy and joyful about my own life.

Thankfully Sadie seems to love her life! A stress-free and uneventful life seems to suit her perfectly.

That is honestly one of the things that has surprised me about dog ownership: Noticing the joy within a dog every day.

Every day I notice Sadie’s zest for life. She seems to absolutely love her life every single day.

She knows that little things are worth getting excited over…

vizsla 015

And that being around loved ones is the best thing in the world…

DSC_0549

DSC_0542

Every kiss she gives out is a passionate (albeit wet) one. She forgives quickly and doesn’t let little disappointments get her down.

It’s kind of crazy how animals living such simple lives can teach us something.

She’s so darn wise. Smile

Comments

1. Sara says

HAHAHAHA omg laughing out loud right now. When I hovered my mouse over the picture of your puppy on the bed it said “curried chicken” hahahh

2. Alyssa says

Sadie is the cutest. I sometimes feel sooo bad for leaving my little bunny at home for hours and hours all alone (I can just picture her sitting and just doing absolutely nothing) but at other times I feel like she absolutely loves being alone. Oh the dilemma, I am so happy that Sadie is enjoying her life!

Me and my fiance were talking about how our dogs are always happy the other day. They do not care about materialistic things. All they want in life is you and your love.

I couldn’t agree with you more about learning from your dog! Mine is quite spoiled too and I sometimes have the same exact thoughts.

And by the way, Sadie looks very human-like in the picture of her lounging on the bed with a sweater on! Ha, love it!

Sometimes I think the same about my dog. One day I’m like wow her life is absolutely awesome, and then other days I think to myself “poor dog probably hates us when we leave her at home all day while we’re at work.”

What puts me in perspective is that my office is located in a very poor neighborhood in Miami. I see stray dogs almost every single day, they roam through the streets digging for food and weaving in and out of traffic. Some make it out alive and some don’t. Everytime a dog wanders over to our office we always take them in, feed them, and find them homes.

So when I think about it like that, then I know no matter what my dog has a damn good life. She’s lucky to be fed twice a day, sleep in a comfy bed every nightin the AC, and be spoiled with hugs and kisses 24-7.

I’ve always loved that picture of Sadie on your bed. She just looks like a feeble old lady- in a cute way! She just has that little desparate look, like ‘Mom, pleeeeeease don’t leave me.’ Just love her :) I love getting my fill of Sadie from your blog, since we can’t have a dog due to Craig’s allergies….I still beg him every day ;)

7. Dukebdc says

You know, I was just thinking yesterday that I would love to know what goes on in my dog’s head. People (myself included) tend to anthropomorphize dogs and attribute human emotions to their actions, but I was really wondering yesterday what kind of emotions he does experience. He’s alone while we are at work, but is always happy to see us when we get home and take him for a long walk. On weekends when we are home, he mostly snuggles with us on the couch or sleeps on the floor. Time and time again people say that dogs don’t have a sense of time passing, so leaving them alone can be stressful or not depending on their temperment.

Does he care that he eats the same food every day? Does he really not like other dogs, or are we misinterpreting his body language when he comes in contact with other canines? I wish he had one of those translators like the dog in “Up,” so we could be reassured that what goes on in their brain is “I love you! I love you! Food! Food! Oh, squirrel!!!”