Cruise Formal Attire

It’s only January and I’m already pumped for my birthday… which is at the end of April.

Why? Because I’m going crusin’ with a bunch of friends!

About a month before I started blogging in 2009, a big group of my friends and I went on a cruise for Ryan’s cousin’s birthday. (Daniel was also the best man in our wedding and is one of the most hysterical people I know.)

If you’ve ever been on a cruise before, you know that the cruise designates one night of the cruise as “formal night,” and guests get all gussied up in dressy attire.

Well, Daniel had the idea to have our group dress up in formal wear… ‘80s style.

80s formalwear

80s formal

Ryan and I had the best time scouring local thrift shops to find our outfits.

80s dress

That little gem of a dress was only $12! It was a velvet and gold dream come true.

This year we’re hoping to do something fun for formal night again, but don’t have any amazing ideas so far.

The best idea thrown out there as of right now is “flannel formal” which I think could be pretty amazing if our entire group of 10 is decked out in head-to-toe flannel, but it’s also not quite dressy enough to really pass as formalwear.

I figured that you guys are super creative and might have some awesome ideas out there to share, so if anything pops into your head, please share! We’re all ears!

Workout

Back to the usual business…

Today’s workout was tough. It started with 20 minutes on the elliptical. I’ve come to realize that my 20-minute cardio warm up is rather crucial to a quality strength workout for me.

I find that I really wake up during a 20-minute cardio warm up and by the time my warm up is complete, I’m ready to pour more effort into my strength training.

And put forth lots of effort I did!

I completed the following leg workout:

leg workout hard

Today I brought back the 100 squats challenge and it had my legs shakin’! I’ve been doing three minutes of non-stop squats (inspired by BodyPump!) at 50 pounds for a few weeks now, but upping my weight to 75 pounds and focusing on pounding out 100 squats with minimal resting breaks (taken when necessary) was tough.

I’ll be sore tomorrow!

The 100 squat challenge was inspired by our friend Ben Saperia who is an amazing personal trainer in Orlando. (He’s the same guy who taught the Blogger Boot Camp class I organized a year ago.) He had Ryan doing the 100 squat challenge a while ago and I would always hear Ryan talk about how hard it was and he was right. It’s no joke!

Breakfast today came in a cup!

silver springs park 001

A thick ‘n’ delicious smoothie!

Into the blender went:

• 3/4 cup 2 percent milk
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder

silver springs park 002

Peanut butter cup smoothies are the best!

Questions of the Morning

• What is the best theme you’ve ever heard of for a party?
  • Any ideas for themed formal attire for our upcoming cruise?

Comments

I love the prom idea. Make use of those old prom dresses or pick up some new-age prom dresses and go all out in glittery ball gowns and pick up a few tux jackets!

You could do 60’s style desperate housewives. We did that for my friends bachelorette party in Charelaton, SC and it was a hit! We dressed in these big hats and pearls with “afternoon tea” dresses. Think the set of the movie The Help or Kentucky Derby. It’s was so much fun!

3. Sarah says

For my husband’s birthday one year we had an anything but clothes party. His B-day is right before Halloween though so that helps. People came in ace bandages, a laundry bag with cut out arm holes, bubble wrap…was a very fun and funny night.

4. Geneva says

ABC (Anything But Clothes) parites are my favorite themed party, because I love to make outfits from random stuff (poker chips and decks of cards were my favorite) and I like seeing what others come up with. For the cruise formal night I think the ’20s are very glamourous if you want to do another decade theme, if not I would say Masquerade or Italian Carnevale theme. You could easily use any formal attire you already have and just purchase or make masks.

5. char @ char on a mission says

I was just on a cruise last month (with my in-law family though haha), but that formal night idea is SO amazing. What an awesome idea. I would have loved to walk by your group lol. Having said that, I am a fail for ideas for this year’s – obviously something functional where they’ll still let you dine for dinner hahah

6. Blake says

I love the prom idea, too! Other things that could be fun are dressing up as a bride/groom and a wedding party, but with dated/hilarious dresses and tuxes. Or, do formal wear from recognizable characters (like Julia Roberts from Pretty Woman, Dumb & Dumber tuxes, Kate Hudson in 10 Things I Hate About You, Ross and his awesome 80’s fro from Friends flashbacks…). It could be so much fun!

I love the idea of a big group on a cruise. It sounds like such a blast!

7. Lauren-@lshar619 says

I love pb cup smoothies! Thanks to all of you foodies you have taught me how to make so many different ones! 🙂

PS: Your dress was fantastic! gold + velvet= perfection!

8. Emily C says

What about a Disney Prince and Princess theme! The guys could dress up as the princes and the girls as the princess. Formal but fun. I also love the prom theme as well!

I love formal night on a cruise – seriously one of my favorite things about cruising. My hubby just got a white dinner jacket for Christmas, so our next cruise we are going to be decked out in style! 😉

I like Geneva’s 20’s suggestion from above if you’re looking for another theme – such a dramatic era!

10. Traci says

I once saw a bachelorette party do a full out denim theme. Think maybe a denim jumper and headband for girls (or a dress with a TON of denim accessories), nice pants and a jean jacket or blazer and denim tie for guys. It would be pretty funny if you could make that work somehow for formal night! But I love the prom theme too.

Best themed party I ever went to was a Pulp Fiction party. It was hilarious some of the characters in the movie that folks chose besides the obvious ones like John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson and Uma Thurman. Have fun!

Killer workout-you are strong!!
    theme ideas: I am a fan of the single grandma/grandpa look..leopard print mom jeans, orthopedic shoes etc. or Tarzan/Jane or Disney Prince/Princesses.

13. Meg @RunRideLove says

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I vote for old south theme. Monocles and canes for the guys (think col. sanders) and hoop skirts, ruffles and hat for the ladies!
    So classy and ridiculous!

14. Lynne says

Gangsters and Molls is a great theme for a group – the girls look fabulous in flapper dresses, beads and feathers while the guys look mean and sexy with sharp suits, trilby hats and cigars!

I was all about theme parties for my teenage birthdays. I did a Survivor party way back in the day, as well as a Titanic pool party. Neither of these would really work on a cruise, but maybe a 1920’s theme? I’m obsessed with flapper costumes!

Hard to beat 80s but barbie and ken parties are really fun too. Let’s be honest, Barbie has been just about everything in her life so sky’s the limit. A few rules though, you have to keep your elbows bent at 90 degrees the whole time and your four fingers together as one plus a thumb – anyone caught out of proper form has to have a drink (or some other penalty you can come up with!)

17. Joanna@drizzleofsunshine says

Love your theme for that cruise!

I went to a bachelorette party on a cruise ship and one night was school girl night, one was 80’s workout, and the other was formal. So much fun. You should do Jersey Shore 🙂

18. Allison says

I love the theme the roaring 20’s or Mad Men theme! Not sure if you watch that show but it’s amazing and takes place in the 60’s such an awesome fashion era in my opinion!!!

You could do do reverse formal, where guys wear dresses and girls wear suits. Or ditto the 20’s theme. Flapper dresses and fingers waves are SO fun!!

The best party theme I’ve heard is a “People of Wal-Mart” party. If you don’t know what I’m referring to, google it. Hilarious.

20. Ashley says

My friends hosted a party where you had to wear super ugly clothing. Everyone came decked out in toe socks, snuggies, “I’m a Virgin but this is an old shirt” t shirts, denim on denim outfits. We got pretty funny looks when we all headed downtown to the bar haha.
    Enjoy your cruise Julie!

21. Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony says

Your peanut butter cup smoothie looks delicious! Have you ever tried a milk alternative (unsweetened almond milk or soy milk?) Thanks!

You should definitely do a prom type theme! How cute would it be to dress up in a long formal, colorful gown again?
    Are you scared about the cruise at all because of what just happened with the Italian captain? I find that I am now a little reluctant to try out a cruise!

23. Lisa says

For formal nite – what about black and white theme or an animal print theme? I could see the girls loving the animal print theme, not sure what the guys could do with it.

Also, I started going the 20 min ellpticial warm up and love it.

I’ve started doing my 2mins of cross training after weights and I think I prefer it as I’m more focused on my weight training. Luckily the 10 minute walk to the gym energises me!

In college we occasionally did birthday parties where everyone would dress up as something that started with the birthday girl’s first letter of her name…Since it’ll be your birthday you could have a J-party! Everyone has to dress up as something starting with a J. My favorite was an L party once…I was lara croft, there were lifeguards, lawyers, legos (hysterical), lakers, lance armstrong, leopards, and tons more…etc. Not sure if it would fit the formal theme but maybe for another night?? 🙂

Ohh your smoothie looks delicious! And your pictures are so fun! Looks like your last cruise was def a success! I think the eras are always fun– the 20s or the 60s would be cute! Or I like this prom idea that’s circulating! ESPECIALLY if you make it cheesy! My sorority had a formal that was brides and bachelors and so we all dressed up in fake wedding gear (much of which was from the 80s) but it was def fun!

27. cristina says

I vote Jersey Shore – we went to a JS-themed New Years party and it was hilarious! Lots of blowouts on guys, chains, tacky dresses. My husband wore one of my juicy suits and stuffed his shirt and was JWoww 🙂

Rubik’s Cube Theme – (you would have to start in someone’s room first). Everyone should meet up wearing one item of clothing for each color on the Rubik’s cube (white, red, blue, orange, green, and yellow). Then, once everyone is there, you swap clothing items until you have an entire outfit of one solid color. Think accessories!

29. Christina says

The prom ideas sounds really fun, especially if you ladies could still fit into your original dresses! You could always do another decade, or a celebrity formal night – dress up as an iconic man or woman from eras past or present.

I love it! That dress is absolutely hilarious! I think you guys should dress EXTREMELY “matchy-matchy” next time. Like make it look like you totally planned to match … to the EXTREME. Yes, you will be “that” couple! 😉

31. Kat says

You’ve gotten some great suggestions for formal night!

I wanted to ask if you’ve tried PB2. I use it in my protein shakes for that pb flavor and protein, but less fat. Love it!

32. Dani says

This is my everyday, all time favorite smoothie recipe! I also add in my leftover coffee from the morning for an afternoon boost 🙂

33. alissa says

I have two ideas: High School Stereotype: dressing up as the cheerleader, band member, teacher’s pet, geek/nerd, skater, punk, stoner, etc.
    Or a classic masquerade party

We did a 20’s themed formal party one year for Christmas. It was a lot of fun – I found this amazing knee length velvet dress with a bedazzled peacock design down the front. We do a formal party every year but that year really stands out because the outfits were so fun