Broadway Show and Café Wha?

During our time in the city on Saturday, Merri, Ashley and I purchased half-price tickets to see a show on Broadway. After such a full day wandering around the city, we popped into Merri’s apartment to quickly change before heading out for a few drinks before the 8 p.m. show began.

Our first stop took us to Bakehouse, a new café and bar where Merri’s friend Peter works.

new york city 026-1

We immediately loved the ambiance and décor of Bakehouse and sat at the bar to order a round of drinks.

new york city 028-1

I ordered the Bisou Rose, a delicious drink make with vodka, elderflower, lemon and rose water. I never tried elderflower before and am quite a fan. I think I could drink it on the rocks without a problem. It’s nice and sweet!

new york city 023-1

Our drinks at Bakehouse were strong and delicious and we would’ve gladly stayed there until the show started, but we really wanted to check out the bar at the top of the Standard because of the views of the city.

new york city 030-1

new york city 031-1

We had no idea how expensive drinks were at the bar when we ordered, though I guess we should’ve figured consider its location and swanky atmosphere. I ordered a martini made with muddled cucumber and some other stuff (it was pink!) and slurped it down without a hitch. Thank goodness the pricey drinks were extra yummy.

We ended up chatting at the bar for a while before realizing we needed to head out in a hurry if we were going to make it to Broadway in time to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

new york city 033-1

I had no clue that Nick Jonas would be performing in the starring role (though I personally love Darren Criss and would’ve been stoked to see him). It was pretty cool.

new york city 032-1

We laughed because there were clearly a handful of Jonas Brothers fans in the audience that would cheer extra loud after Nick’s solos and during his bow. AHHHH!

The show itself was great! It was funny, entertaining and I loved the music. I’d gladly see it again!

Café Wha?

The show got out just before 11 p.m. and we had plans to meet friends at Café Wha?, a small bar located in Greenwich Village where the most amazing band plays several times a week. Several incredible musicians, including Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Springsteen as well as comedians Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby also began their road to fame on the Café Wha? stage!

When we were seated in our booth, I practically inhaled a plate of nachos. I was hungry and late night snacking was right up my alley.

new york city 034-1

Merri, Ashley and I split a few pitchers of sangria over the course of the night and had the best time watching the band, singing and dancing!

new york city 039-1

The music was so, so good and covered nearly every musical genre. I was in heaven!

new york city 036-1

new york city 044-1

new york city 045-1

new york city 048-1

new york city 046-1

We left Café Wha around 3:30 a.m. and I fell asleep when my head hit the pillow at Merri’s apartment shortly after. It was such a long day full of fun and New York City excitement. I loved every minute!

I’m currently blogging from the airport and hope to pop back in with my final NYC recap soon!

Comments

It sounds like you had a blast so far! When I was about 6 or 7 I saw how to succeed in business without really trying and John Stamos was the star! I would have loved to see Darren Criss as well, I love him on Glee!

Looks like fun!!!! I love musicals. I saw Rent on Broadway and it was fantastic!!! I saw Wicked in Philly and that was great too. Definitely looking to see some more shows soon. I think the Jonas fans would’ve annoyed me, not a fan lol.

Glad you had a good time!!!

3. Anna @ Blissfully Banana says

Awesome! Sounds like you had an awesome time! My high school did that musical one year, and seeing it on broadway would be super amazing! 😀
    Glad that you had an amazing and fun time in New York!

What fun! I really want to see that show. Also, isn’t it wonderful/crazy how fast PM time flies in NYC? Because most nightlife venues don’t close before 5am, or at all, it’s so easy to lose track and stay out later than planned. I guess that’s part of what makes it such a good time 😉 safe travels, dear.

• jamie says

when i lived in nyc, i convinced my best friend (the bride to be) and our closest friends to fly in for a weekend and we actually had the bachelorette party at cafe wha?. it was a lot of fun and highly recommended.

5. Elena says

hey girl, it looks like you misspelled cafe wha? through the blog post. just wanted to give you a heads up :) it looks like you had a fab time in the city!

6. Eliza says

I love NYC. I truly appreciate that’s I live so close. My fav shows are avenue q and les Miserable! But how did u guys find half priced tickets? Glad h had a such good time up north!

7. Anne @strawberryjampackedlife.com says

Sounds like so much fun! I did How to Succeed back in college at Purdue. I love seeing famous people in shows though. We saw Molly Ringwald as Sally Bowles in Cabaret back in ’03.

8. dee says

I would love to visit New York and watch a broadway show! Your drinks sound amazing! Will you be updating the fashion page so we can see what New York approved outfits you chose? :) I love dressing for chilly weather; coats, boots, scarves and a fun nail polish color to snazz it all up! You chose a great polish color, btw!

9. Annie says

um. your face, third picture from the last: exactly the face i make when i’ve been out with friends and i’m just having so much fun. priceless. glad you had a good time. new york is amazingly awesome!

10. Meg @RunRideLove says

Sounds like an awesome girls weekend in NYC! Glad you liked “how to succeed in business” my high school put it on back in the day (while i was still in high school) and I had a bunch of friends in it, and loved the show! Also I had some good friends see it recently in London on vacation, with Daniel Radcliff at the lead! I would love to see Harry Potter on broadway!

11. Amy says

How were you able to get half price tickets?? I’m going to be in NYC in a few months and would love to see Wicked again, so cheap tix would be awesome!!

12. Mary says

i love Broadway shows! how fun!

On an unrelated note, my friends and I are looking for a nice, fun but not too crazy beach to go to over spring break in Florida. We wanted to stick with beaches that didn’t involve driving too far south into Florida. so maybe sticking to areas around Destin or Panama City Beach? (Although I heard Panama City Beach gets a little crazy??) Do you have any suggestions??

Thank yoU!

13. Erika says

Looks like you had a really good time! Love all the pics. I also just discovered elderflower and my new favorite drink is a French Gimlet. St. German (Elderflower), Gin and freshly squeezed lime juice.Yum! I want one right now :) Looking forward to your final recap!

14. Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine says

I’ve had 1 drink made with rose water, cucumber and vodka at The Patterson House, and it was delicious!

ohmygosh I’m so SO jealous of your NYC trip. I just sat here and read all about it in your NYC posts in one big swoop (I was a little behind, clearly). And I’m feeling jealous. It looks like you ate a lot of amazing food and had lots of amazing drinks and just had an amazing time in general.

Bakeries and pictures/walks in the park and new restaurants and broadway shows and friend time and shopping and walking everywhere and and workouts and did I mention LOTS of awesome food and drinks with friends? You’re a lucky girl! I hope you really had a great time, Julie!

I want to go to NYC so so bad! Reading your posts just made my wanting so much more intense haha!