Return of the Run

This morning, Ryan and I slept in. (Hey, it was bound to happen after I published a post about why I still work out at 5 a.m.)

We slept through the 5 a.m. alarm and got up at 7 a.m. After a quick breakfast, I headed into my home office to crank out some writing. By 11 a.m., I was more than ready for a break.

So was someone else.

entertain me

Since my workout for the day and Sadie’s morning walk both had yet to occur, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and exercise Sadie and get some exercise myself.

I grabbed my iPod and fired up my Garmin for the first time in more than two months!

After the Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon and the Women’s Half Marathon, I joked to Ryan that I “quit running.”

When I was done with those races, I was ready for a break from training and long runs and have really enjoyed incorporating more circuit-style workouts into my routine. I’m still running, but lately my running has been on the treadmill, often coupled with intense incline walking in the form of treadmill interval workouts.

Well, today it felt great to just run.

roast beef with dijonaise 002

No treadmill. No crazy inclines.

Just me and the great outdoors!

favorite

And Sadie.

We covered five miles and I forgot how nice it can feel to just run and zone out while jamming to a rockin’ playlist. (I listened to the first third of my half marathon playlist from Savannah. What’s up Jagged Edge!?)

Lunch

After the run, I quickly showered and dug into leftovers from last night’s dinner.

chopped salad

Yesterday Ryan and I ate a delicious chopped salad alongside grilled steak and quinoa.

I made the salad by combining the following:

• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, chopped
  • 3/4 cup corn
  • 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

chopped salad corn avocado

This salad was a pain in the tookus to make… probably because I find chopping vegetables to be one of the most mundane tasks in the world. At least the end result was worth it!

The leftovers were a delicious lunchtime “warm up.” I ate up nearly all of the remaining salad while making myself a roast beef sandwich.

roast beef with dijonaise 003

I topped two toasted slices of honey wheat bread with roast beef, spinach, tomatoes and equal parts spicy mustard and light Miracle Whip.

roast beef with dijonaise 006

roast beef with dijonaise 008

I wanted something sweet immediately after polishing off my sandwich and quickly made myself a mug of hot chocolate.

roast beef with dijonaise 011

Fantastic.

Off to cram in a few more hours of work!

Happy Friday! Smile

Comments

gosh, am I jealous of that run. ;) I keep seeing runners every time I venture out the door and yell, “NO! no running while I can’t. everyone needs to stop until I can run again. it’s not fair.”

…but not really. but really. I’m 70% serious.

It’s funny you mention this: I’m in the last month of my half marathon training, and I cannot WAIT to stop running for awhile. But I know for certain that, at least a few months after the race, I’ll be craving some longer runs. The grass is always greener!

I am with Alyssa. I ran for too long on a bad foot and can’t run now. I am so jealous of all the runners that I see. I really want to be out there – especially on days like today where the weather is PERFECT! :(

I was wondering if you’d get back into running! And great time for your first run a while, clearly strength training helps! And that roast beef sandwich looks so good, I can’t remember the last time I had roast beef!

nice job on the run! it is nice to zone out and “just run” sometimes.

as for chopping veggies, ugh, i totally agree – i absolutely hate it! i generally love cooking, but that’s one part of it that i really do NOT enjoy. needless to say, your chopped salad looks delicious and full of color!

I really hate chopping vegetables, too – it takes me forever! I’m in awe of people with actual knife skills. I hate it almost as much as I hate washing and tearing up lettuce. But it’s always worth it in the end :) I do love having hot chocolate after a meal as a sweet treat! Had some last night after dinner – so comforting.

7. Jaime D. says

I love how you listen to old school songs when you workout – I do the same thing and my friends/husband make fun of me all the time for it!

8. Marisa says

I am feeling very lethargic today from a week of hard workouts but the way you just described running has turned this frown upside-down and I’m going to get off my butt and go workout today. Thanks, Julie! :)

9. Kaelin says

Your run was awesome, even after a long break!! I have been running for 6 months or so and seem to be getting slower!! Yikes! I was running 10:00 miles and now have slowed to 11:00 miles or so. Maybe its that I am not racing, but I wonder when running will feel faster and easier. Not that I ever expect it to be easy.

The more I read your blog, the more likely it’s becoming that I’m going to suddenly walk in the front door with a puppy (much to my BF’s poop-scooping chagrin).

I’m itching for the end of May to roll around so that I can take a break from training, too! I just had my first half last weekend, but I have a 10 mile race coming up in April and another half in May. We’ll see if I end up taking a break, since it’ll be so nice to run during the summer evenings!

Your salad looks divine!
    It’s hard to run here in France because it is really cold these days, snow and everything but I continue because I love it, and I wear a lot of layers!

I am very impressed that after not running for two months you were able to go out there and run FIVE miles! That’s awesome. PS-I have the same coffee mug from Anthropolgie..or I should say I used to until I dropped it one day and it shattered.

I love that your sleeping in is until 7 and that would be by version of waking up early…oh the life of a collge student. But I only have a few more months and maybe I’ll be working out at 5. Maybe.

15. Jenna says

I have been reading your blog for about 2 weeks now and i make sure to check your page atleast twice a day
    ! I love your blog! As i was ready todays lunch post, I just had to say that i have that same mug :)

Hah, I love chopping vegetables. It’s seriously one of my favorite things about cooking. When I was younger (like, 18, so not when I was *young* young), I used to beg my mom to let me chop the vegetables when we had salads…not like that was a hard battle to win haha. Also led to me dropping a knife point down onto my bare foot once…but that’s a different story ;)

17. Caitlin says

I took a 3 month break after doing 2 half marathons last year! I felt the same way. Was it hard for you to bust out 5 miles after a break?

18. Lia says

Your meals always look so amazing…. I decided to make the salad in this post last night for dinner. I added some cayenne pepper and put it over a bed of baby spinach since I wasn’t in the mood for meat/fish. It was absolutely incredible, and I will definitely be trying some more of your recipes :)

19. Sarah says

Julie!

You should try putting it in a big bowl and chopping all the ingredients with scissors instead of chopping each individual veggie!