Treadmill Walking Workouts

If you’re anything like me, you’re always on the lookout for boredom-busting workouts.

I used to think that in order to get an awesome workout on the treadmill, I had to run. Not true! Walking is legit!

Whether I’m speed walking or focusing on incline intervals, I’ve found myself super sweaty after many walking workouts. They can really get your heart rate pumping.

Below you will find some of my all-time favorite workouts that include lots of walking.

intense incline walking workout

incline walking workout hard

Do by itself as a warm up or repeat 2 – 3 times for a serious cardio workout!

incline walking with running workout

incline treadmill workout

incline walking workout

Happy walking!

More fun workout roundup posts:

Comments

I’m definitely bookmarking this! I’m really not a runner so I usually stick to the elliptical, stairstepper, and bike for my cardio at the gym, but I would love to use the treadmill more. Thanks for so many great ideas!

2. Erika says

I love, love doing incline workouts. However, if I am doing an incline over 10, I hold onto the sides of the treadmill. I am afraid I will fall off otherwise. I have gone up to a 15 and it’s awesome!

3. ashley says

I tried the last one last week and it was hard, but such a good workout! I only made it to 8 minutes though, then I walked on no incline for an hour.

4. dana a. says

oh thanks for the workouts! i love the treadmill but also feel like i have to run to get a good workout in. i love doing interval training because it makes the time fly by!

Definitely saving this for later! My treadmill is getting old and cranky and won’t let us change the incline anymore, but this looks great for when I have a gym membership again!

I always find that when I switch between walking and running I get WAY sweatier than if I just run, so that must mean something :-)

I think I have nearly all of your workouts copied down and I absolutely love each and every one of them. You can’t imagine my excitement to find this post with your favourites all in one spot – thanks a million Julie, you truly do make my days brighter and I love the inspiration I get from your blog.

I haven’t had access to a computer for the past several weeks and as a result have been in a total fitness rut. I really look forward to your posts as they really do make me feel better about myself and motivate me to get back on track.

A little off topic – last Thursday you had chips and peanut butter for lunch, what were those black chips you had?? I have never seen anything like them.

Whenever I am dreading the gym I will do an interval walking workout bc it “doesn’t seem” like it will be as hard, well after you are halfway through and about to die it only seems right to finish hard. It’s perfect when you are in a rut.

8. Darrecia says

Incline walking is pretty much all I can do on the treadmill anymore. (I’m a 20-something with hip joints comparable to an 80-something). I love incorporating incline workouts into my cardio seshions. I’ve learned that if I do it right it’ll burn more calories than my jogging ever did.

I looove hilly walking workouts. I really work up a sweat walking and changing incline levels. Sometimes, I bring a book or magazine, or turn on the TV for entertainment, and before I know it, the time has passed and I’ve completed a killer workout! Walking inclines are especially great when I want to work out but am not feeling 100% up to it. I’ll be referring back to these workouts you provided very soon, I’m sure!

Thanks for posting this. I already printed several out and going to try this week on incline walking. I don’t like running (more like I can’t due to my knees) and I much prefer a great cardio walk over an elliptical. Can’t wait to see what happens :)

11. Traci says

I think this it the first time I’ve ever commented on your blog even though I read pretty regularly! I have problems with my knees and have been advised by doctors not to run, at least on a regular basis. I actually really enjoy running and do it every once in a rare moon for stress release alone (feeling both an exercise high AND guilt afterward!) so thanks for putting up these walking workouts. I love using the treadmills at my gym for incline walking workouts. Recently I read another blog where the writer was complaining about “lazy people” who take up the treadmills “just walking.” I understand this is true some of the time, but I’m never spending my treadmill walking time not getting sweaty and tired just like the runners out there, and walking can be just as much of a workout! Anyway, thanks.

Seems like great work outs and maybe I’m just out of shape for a runner but at speed 4 I’m at a slow jog more than running. Do they work if I modify them to less then 4.0?

I did the 20 minute walking incline workout last night..wow!! Much more sweat than I expected. I could only go at 3.9 tho…I’ll bump it up next time! Hah. Thanks!!

14. Ashley says

Just did one of your incline workouts for the first time… Totally butt-kicking!! I do have a question though… Should I hold on to the rails or not?

Do you have any other kind of material involved with this one?
    We’d love to study more about this amazing article!! ;-) I really like the blog posts, but I need to get additional facts concerning incline walking workout. Thanks a lot!!!