Walnut Oatmeal Date Balls

Date balls!

Date Balls 022-2

What? That doesn’t sound appetizing?

What about Walnut Oatmeal Date Balls?

I guess there’s really no way to make a recipe with the word “balls” in it sound incredibly appealing, huh?

The good news is that despite the odd name of the balls, they really are delicious.

Plus, they only require three ingredients and are super simple to make!

Date Balls 019-1

I got the idea for the date balls after talking with the Caramel Natural vendor at the Southeast Produce Council’s Southern Expo yesterday. Their display included tons of dates and we got to talking about how dates are used in so many different health bars on the market today.

I figured I could make my own health bar at home and set out to do so this morning. I grabbed a handful of dates and scrounged around in my parents’ pantry looking for nuts to throw into the mix. After grabbing raw walnuts and old fashioned oats, I put everything in the food processor and whirred it up until I had a thick batter that wasn’t too sticky.

Date Balls 014-1

Since I figured molding the batter into bars would be a pain and a little tedious, I simply formed it into about 12 different date balls like Katie did in her German chocolate fudge bites!

Date Balls 019-1
Pin It

Walnut Oatmeal Date Balls

(Inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie’s German Chocolate Fudge Bites)

Makes a dozen balls

Ingredients:

• 6 Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup raw walnuts

Directions:

1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until everything is blended together and a thick batter forms
  2. Roll batter into balls and refrigerate until ready to eat

Date Balls 023-1

My mom and I both ate a couple and packed the rest of the balls away in the fridge for easy snacking throughout the week.

Date Balls 024-1

A simple, nutritious snack that is packed with healthy fat, protein and whole grains. A winner in my book!

Comments

I haven’t used my processor in so long! I need to blow the dust off and get it whirring! These looks so easy and delicious! I might have to add some chocolate though…(;

I love easy yet healthy ideas and recipes like this. Totally understand that you didn’t want to make them into actual bars. It’s easier to eat them if they’re shaped like a ball and bite-size anyways….the perfect snack!

3. Sarah says

These sound super yummy! Funny- I just made chocolate covered katie’s AMAZING fudge babies for the umpteenth time. And yours seem to be exactly like hers minus the chocolate.
    if y’all have never tried her recipe you should!

4. Erica says

This is probably super immature, but any food with the word ‘balls’ in the name makes me LOL…like that age-old skit with Alec Baldwin. All of that aside, this recipe sounds really tasty! :)

yummmm those look awesome! i really want to say i love balls (and i do) but that would sound really…haha ya. but seriously, i like them. im tryin these!

6. MJ says

That’s basically a recipe for making home made Larabar’s… you can google for tons of recipes for the various kinds of Larabars but it’s basically dates (can add some other dried fruit like raisins), and some kind of nuts. Delish!

Hahaha yeah no way around the “balls” name but they look delish. I made bars with similar ingredients but used dried plums as the base, not dates. The bars were a pain in the butt, just as you thought they had the potential to be so maybe I’ll make “balls” next time I try them out.

Oh yum, Julie they look so good… and so easy to make! You definitely had me at the first photo. Definitely bookmarking. And thanks for the mention. You’re such a sweetheart! I hope you already knew that :)

9. Jay says

These look so good, and so nutritious. Definitely making them. I live in the Middle East and we can readily get hold of fabulous date ingredients, ie date paste, date juice, all manner of fresh and dried dates. I’m going to try using the date paste that I have in my pantry.

10. sherri says

Making these today!! Might even add some cocounut to a few just because coconut makes everything better. Can’t wait to try them!

11. leslie says

Thank you for making those! They’re in my lunch today! I love them. I just might make those every week :). Better than arsenic bars, right? ;)

I always prefer the bar shape to the ball, but either way they taste great! I’ll have to try this version. To make bars I usually squish all of the batter into a dish and then cut out a bar shape when I want some. Way faster for me than to shape into individual shapes of anything.

13. Rachel G says

I made these balls this weekend (added a couple more dates and some honey to get it the right consistency for me) and they were a huge hit in my house! My boyfriend and I are big runners, and this is perfect for a quick pre/post run snack. It also gave me the excuse to FINALLY use the food processor I got for Christmas :) Thanks for the idea!

14. Staci says

I have made these a few times now and my family and I love them!! Thanks so much, great idea!! When I made them this last time I added raisins and cinnamon. After the ingredients were done mixing in the food processor I stirred in the raisins and cinnamon then rolled into balls. Tasted just like an oatmeal raisin cookie!! So good! I love it the original way too!! Thanks again!!

15. Daphne says

Followed this recipe and the batter didn’t really stick enough to form balls. so I tried to press it into a pan to form bars but they did not hold together even after time in the fridge. Will probably add more dates the next time around.

16. Kerri Murphy says

I made these, but as I added a bit of water to my blender to help it along I’ve decided to bake them to help firm up. From my sneak peak taste test these were yummo!