Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Holy guacamole!

If you thought avocados were only good for guacamole or other savory dishes, think again!

dark chocolate avocado mousse

What in the world is that?

Dark chocolate avocado mousse, my friends.

One of my former coworkers was also into healthy eating and experimenting in the kitchen and I loved talking with her about her favorite recipes. We’d constantly swap meal ideas and our other coworkers would look at us like we were nut jobs when we discussed drinking smoothies with spinach in them or soaking oatmeal overnight for breakfast the next morning (aka “overnight oats”).

One time she came into the office raving about homemade chocolate avocado mousse. I was totally intrigued but for some reason never attempted to make it until this evening.

As I was browsing around the internet for meal ideas last night, I ended up on the Dr. Oz website and saw that he posted a recipe for chocolate avocado mousse and instantly remembered my friend’s rave reviews.

Tonight I gave it a go!

Dr. Oz’s recipe seemed a little more complicated than what I was looking for and I searched around until I found a recipe on PublicRadio.org that looked like one I could adapt and simplify a bit in order to use ingredients I had on hand.

How does three ingredient dark chocolate avocado mousse sound to you?

avocado cocoa powder

Oh yes!

I simply combined a ripe avocado, dark chocolate cocoa powder and honey in a food processor until a thick and creamy mousse formed.

blended avocado mousse

I literally licked the food processor clean.

I realize that this is quite dangerous but I braved the sharp blades to make sure every last bit of the chocolate mousse was consumed.

chocolate avocado mousse1
Pin It

Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse

(Adapted from Chocolate Avocado Mousse Martinis via If It Makes You Healthy: More Than 100 Delicious Recipes Inspired by the Seasons cookbook)

Ingredients:

• 1 ripe avocado, skin and pit removed
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons honey

Directions:

1. Place avocado and dark chocolate cocoa powder in food processor. Add honey.
  2. Process avocado, cocoa powder and honey for approximately one minute, pausing to scrape the sides, or until a thick, smooth mousse forms
  3. Spoon mousse into a small bowl, top with slivered almonds, fresh fruit or chocolate chips and enjoy

Note: You may simply add more cocoa powder and honey if you prefer more chocolate or sweetness!

Double Note: I’d double if not triple this recipe if I were you. We only had one avocado on hand and I wanted more. Lots more.

avocado mousse

And for those of you who are skeptical, I gave Ryan a bite of the mousse and asked him to guess what was in it. He had no idea!

Ryan actually said that it tasted an awful lot like brownie batter! I’d say that’s a pretty positive review, no?

Comments

1. Ashley says

Avocados are great in so many recipes! Every year for thanksgiving im the crazy lady who makes not so normal pies. I made an avocado mousse pie this past year and 3 years ago I made an avocado pie…aka green monster. You should definitely try this one out. The recipe I made called for a graham cracker crust which was good but I’d I attempt this pie again I think I’ll try it out with a pretzel/honey mix for that sweet and salty satisfaction. :)

This looks amazing! I will have to try this next time avocados are on sale. Have you tried black beans in brownies? I’ve heard that’s an option too but wasn’t sure if that would work.

3. Emily says

This sounds yummy. I always have Avocados on hand and will try this healthy dessert! Just an idea but it might taste good mixed in with Greek Yogurt, in oatmeal or even as a spread for toast and pancakes ;0)
    Can you tell that I’m excited to try this out =0)

Thanks Jullie

4. Andrea says

Hey Julie,

This looks awesome, but I don’t have a food processor. Do you think a blender or even an electric mixer might work instead?

5. Ruth says

Lol, well, I have ate a lot more crappy things for that amount of calories and fat, so eating an entire avocado like that doesn’t sound so bad, this is much healthier. But I think I would still have to portion control a lot more strictly, lol. Ah the joy of just devouring hahaha….I looked up the avocado website and was surprised to find they have tons of dessert recipes!

Word to the wise: make sure to use a Haas avocado and not a California one; more creamy and fatty, the California just doesn’t blend well. Found that out the hard way two years ago…

7. DeShae says

Just had to comment again lol. This recipe really has my creative juices flowing. I think this would function well as a spread. Maybe a healthier version of crunchy “nutella” with chopped hazelnuts pieces folded in. Hmmm…I will be experimenting :)

I just made this! WoW! I’ve been eating 90% vegan since October and as much as I love avocados and love eating healthy I came online looking for a chocolate pudding avocado recipe that I saw on tv the other day. I came across this chocolate mousse and was like.. I’ve got to try that! Well… I changed one thing, we are out of honey and I don’t buy things on Sunday, so… I used Raw Agave! I saw a version of this with agave nectar on finecooks.com however, I didn’t have any coconut oil. Your recipe, with only these few ingredients worked perfectly! I did though, have about 1 1/2 avocados so, I added some extra coco powder, and I might have added a bit much. Besides that, it is excellent!

Thank you for sharing! I’m eating this right now… YUM! The Vitamix whipped this up fast, the hardest thing was getting the mousse out from under the blades. haha

Made this for dessert last night for me and the boyfriend and I didn’t end up eating my whole portion so I popped it in the fridge for tonight. Just nipped into it for a post-hot yoga snack…WOW! It is even better after it has been chilled for awhile. So good. Thanks for sharing this! Frozen a portion in the freezer too, so we’ll see how that goes :)

10. ARPL says

Tried it and turned out great using a small avocado, 2 tbsp cocoa and 1.5 tbsp honey. However, my husband was suspicious it was something weird, so he wouldn’t even taste it, which made my 3-year-old also turn up his nose. However, this meant more for me! I will totally make it again and again.

11. Anna says

I’ve tried similar recipes and my boys and I LOVE it! I think it tastes a little better if you sweeten with agave as opposed to honey which can have a strong flavor….I also like to add a dash of cinnamon. We use it as a dip for bananas, strawberries and pineapple! YUM!!

12. bryanna says

I just tried this and now I have something you must try! And share with the whole world!! :)
    Okay.
    Make this amazing mousse :)
    And I make this cheesecake yogurt stuff that is just plain Greek yogurt (I use oikos brand), and sugar-free cheesecake pudding mix. I mix one small pudding mix per 16 oz of yogurt, it’s amazing!
    Anyway, I loved this mousse, but dark chocolate is a little much for me sometimes. So I put some on top of my cheesecake yogurt and they balanced each other out perfectly!
    TELL EVERYONE!! :)
    Thanks for this recipe, you’re great.

13. Sarah says

I found you on Pinterest. Thanks for an amazing new addition to my kitchen!! I had one lonely avocado. Of course I did my own tweak, used regular cocoa (because I didn’t have dark), and added a half teaspoon of cinnamon. YUM! Even my boyfriend, who doesn’t like avocados, loved it.

14. Di says

do you have the nutritional values for this? I just made this, but with plain cocoa; it was good … I am sure with dark cocoa it will be even better… just wondering as to the calorie count etc. Thanks for helping my chocolate fix with a healthy alternative!

Oh. Wow. I can’t even believe what I just tasted. This is an incredible recipe!!! It’s crazy how light and fluffy it is – really just like chocolate mousse! Thank you for sharing! Oh and I actually used an avocado that I had frozen because I didn’t get around to using it while it was fresh, and it worked just fine. I thought it might be more like ice cream, but it thawed out and was just like mousse – I did have to add a small splash of water just to get things moving, but that’s it.

16. Rebecca says

I must say, I was unsure about how the the end flavor would be for this, but I definitely wanted to try it because it’s two of my favorite foods combined. Maybe it’s the fact that I haven’t had anything sweet for a while, or maybe it’s because I love the ingredients, but this turned out amazing! So creamy, so much chocolate flavor! This taste is just as good, if not better, than an unclean version of mousse, and it’s much more nutritious! I also love the fact that you can whip some up fast. This recipe has earned a place in my personal Paleo cookbook :) Thanks for sharing!