Granola Overnight Oats

Sleepy Sadie says good morning!

sanibel 008

Or, if we’re being honest, she is likely saying, “Get out of my face,” but since she cannot speak for herself, we’ll just pretend she’s a chipper little elf this morning.

Speaking of feeling chipper, something about knowing that I have a 50-minute cardio workout ahead of me zaps all of my morning “chipperness” away. Fortunately once I actually get to the gym and start sweating, the endorphins kick in and I’m a happy camper yet again.

That was definitely the case today. I knew I had a 50-minute workout on the books according to the boot camp plan I’m following but wasn’t in the mood to kick my butt on the treadmill right away. I began with a 15-minute session on the elliptical which began with five minutes of light pedaling followed by 10 minutes at a higher intensity.

After 15 minutes on the elliptical, I felt ready to tackle the meaty part of my workout. I hopped on the treadmill to complete the following 35-minute treadmill workout that I made up using the flexible guidelines provided by boot camp’s cardio workout of the day:

35 minute treadmill workout
Pin It

I called this the “35 Minute Kick-Yo’-Booty Treadmill Workout” because it was not an easy one for me! It was meant to take me out of my comfort zone and definitely turned me into a hot mess.

Breakfast today was a little different than usual.

granola overnight oats 050

Granola overnight oats!

Yesterday I received a sample of Nuts About Granola’s Plain Jane peanut butter granola in the mail. I opened it immediately and snacked on it throughout the day. I love the short and simple ingredient list and the small pieces of peanuts in the granola.

Put peanut butter and granola together and I am in heaven!

Last night I decided to use the granola in a batch of overnight oats and combined the following:

• 1/2 cup Nuts About Granola Plain Jane granola
  • 1 6-ounce container plain fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds

granola overnight oats 051
Pin It

This morning I topped the granola oats with a sliced banana and a sprinkling of more granola.

granola overnight oats 060

This breakfast was so filling and delicious. I loved all of the different textures and peanut butter flavor.

And one more thing before signing off for the morning…

March Book Club Selection

The PBF Book Club selection for the month of March with 49.88 percent of the votes is…

ceecee wilkes

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes.

We’ll be discussing the book on the blog on April 3. Happy reading!

Comments

Yum! Great idea with the granola. It actually may be even better than oats since the coarser grain might stand up to the liquids a little better. I am seriously considering buying a Kindle. Every time I try and go to the library, the books I want to read all have a waiting list and I hate paying $25 at the book store. Let’s see if I can talk my hubby into a random gift! lol

I can’t remember the last time I had overnight oats, but you make me want to do it again! The granola topping sounds delicious. And great job on the workout! It’s amazing what a little exercise can do for mood! :)

Sadie is so cute! That’s a great treadmill workout, but I’m afraid that if I ran at 9 mph, I would roll right off the back of the treadmill. Obviously, I’m not a super fast runner :)
    I can’t wait to start reading the new book! Sounds interesting!

Every morning when I read your posts, I’m amazed at the killer workouts you complete before I even drag my butt out of bed. ;-) I think I would look like a zombie on the treadmill anytime before 8am, haha. That workout does look tough!!

I have never thought of using granola! I think I might like it better than oatmeal, actually. I will have to pick up some granola at the granola bar at whole foods this weekend! Thanks!

That’s interesting, using granola! I guess I only use it as a topper since it tends to be higher in calories, but I bet it was delicious! I’ve also thought about using some heartier cereals, like quaker squares! I need to experiment with the overnight oats idea!

Seeing daily pictures of Sadie definitely makes me want a Vizsla when I get around to getting a dog. I’d love to adopt one, but I don’t know how they would do during the Buffalo winters. How does Sadie do with the cold?

• says

cold weather can be tough for vizslas (though i did see two in NYC!) so we just make sure to have a sweater or a jacket for her to wear. i think they would be okay even though their fur isn’t very thick as long as they were bundled up accordingly.

8. L says

Question for you about 4mph, or generally the 4-5mph range: Do you try to walk at that pace, or do you allow yourself to “jog” a little? I find it a lot easier to break into a slow jog (or something more like a bouncy walk-hop) than to force my leg muscles to keep walking at that pace, especially on an incline…but if it’s easier, than it’s probably not as good of a workout, no? :)

9. tamsin says

i miss not being able to see your strenght training workouts but hope the bootcamp is going well! granola looks lovelyy x

10. tamsin says

i miss not being able to see your strength training workouts but hope the bootcamp is going well! granola looks lovelyy x

Thank you for this workout, Julie! It is JUST what I needed this morning. I love that this includes both intervals AND hills — yowza! I changed it up a bit, doing speed intervals in the 5-15 minute range too, and my booty is kicked! I admire your creativity in coming up with these workouts. Thanks for the motivating challenge :)