Pottery Painting

It’s kind of crazy how sleeping in until 6:30 a.m. can feel so much different than waking up to a blaring alarm at 5 a.m.

I opted to stay curled up in bed for an extra hour and a half this morning and skipped my usual workout. I am hoping to head out to a hot power yoga class at lunchtime today instead.

After purchasing a package of five yoga classes, I’ve only used one and I want to make sure to use all of them before the package expires. Not wasting the money I spent is a great motivator to get my booty to yoga, that’s for sure!

Breakfast this morning was a hot one.

egg bagel sandwich

A hot two-egg, cheese and jelly bagelwich and a hot cup of coffee!

anthropologie initial mug

breakfast bagel sandwich

Fun fact: Ryan actually painted the above plate himself on a date we went on to a pottery painting studio in college. Yes, I planned that date and he was quite a trooper!

pottery painting 021

He also painted the fun pink mug that currently holds all of the pens and pencils on my desk in our home office.

pottery painting 026

It says “Lil’ Squirt” which is one of his nicknames for me. We have about a million nicknames for each other that have accumulated throughout the years and we can’t even remember how half of them originated anymore!

Question of the Morning

• What is the strangest nickname you’ve given to someone or that someone has given to you?

One of the nicknames I hear most frequently is “Juju” from my dad. I honestly can’t remember the last time I heard my dad call me Julie!

Comments

Call me super lame but I still love going to pottery painting studios! I don’t know what it is but it just really helps me relax! As for nicknames, I haven’t had any super strange ones but one of my aunts still gets away with calling me Angie Pangie!

What a fun date idea! My hubby and I have not done this yet, but I def want to! Nicknames? Ehh… I don’t have any fun ones… Linz, Linzaloo, or when we try to teach my nephews/niece my name we always say L-L-L-L-L-Liiiiiindsay! haha

I love pottery painting places like that! I’ve never been to one before. A couple of years ago, my fiance and my sister went to one and made me birthday gifts from there. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. I love gifts like that. It’s so meaningful. 🙂

I have a quite a few nicknames. It’s easy to make them when you have my first name. One of my really good friends who I have been friends with for like 12 years, her dad has always called me, “Hopeful.” He started calling me that one day and it just stuck. Hah.

There are some friends/family members who I find it weird when they DON”T refer to me by their nickname for me! Fortunately I haven’t gotten any embarrassing ones (yet at least)…most common ones are KT, khush, boo…and boo bear (yep that’s kinda cringe hah)!

My ex made fun of me one day for eating cookies and randomly called me cookie monster, which stuck and was later shortened to just monster! He called me that so much that even his parents got on board and got me cookie monster socks once for Easter.

I love those pottery places. Great place to take kids when they’re out of school all day and I’m babysitting!

6. Laurel says

You are a trooper for ever getting up 5 to go to the gym when technically you dont have to….I couldnt get up this morning….I tried channeling my inner PB Fingers but it didnt work. Nicknames…Lou, Lo, Lolly Lu…now the bf calls me fancy face. Cruise is around the corner!!!

My friends and family call me Juju a lot too! It started from JuJuBe (the candy), and I have no idea why. It then got shorted to either JuJu or Bee.

8. Katie says

My sister and I used to call each other “Big Girl” which got shortened to “BG”–neither of us is that “big” anymore, but BG just sticks!!!

I call my boyfriend “ham” and did wayyyy before the song “H.A.M.” came out. Now I just have to think of a way to collect off of that one…

How fun! I just walked into a Pottery Place the other day in Winter Park thinking I should come back soon. Fun!

My husband calls me Presh – short for Precious – because when I met him he thought I was so innocent and sweet. These days… he knows better! 😉 Hehe.

10. Heather says

Love pottery painting. My husband and I did that for a date night years ago and we both painted wine goblets that we use from time to time. They both have ILYBNB on them but painted in our own style. The meaning is I Love You Bunches N Bunches, something we’ve said from to each other from day one. We too have a ton of names we call each other and don’t recall how they came to be. One my husband calls me a lot is Lover Face. I call him Hubby Honey Love. You gotta have fun!!!! And kudos to you for getting up at 5am every day. I don’t know how you do it. We (hubby honey love and me) try and some days we do it and other days we sleep in. But trying to get up at 5 every day is our goal. Any tips???

I haven’t been pottery painting in forever. The last time was my bridal shower! I had to laugh because my Mother-in-law and Grandmother-in-law picked the smallest bowls they could find … and then both painted them white. LOL. I used to get called Shelly at work all the time, which makes zero sense when your name is Joanna. Maybe I look like a Shellly??? 😉

I love hands on pottery! My boyfriend is a trooper so I bet I could get him to go with me and he probably would have a good time. One of the first dates my boyfriend and I went on was to see The Muppets and somehow I started calling him Kermi (in Miss Piggy’s voice) and I have become Miss Piggy which I try not to take offense to haha!

I don’t even know if I want to put this in print. hahaha But, Fabian called me “wookie” for a long time, then it changed to a shortened “wooks” and now it’s transformed to “pooks.” So, he calls me “pooks” and I call him “wooks.”

No clue why. 🙂

I love that you use the cup Ryan painted for you for all of your pens, Julie! I really wanted to go to a pottery painting studio/cafe in our town with my boyfriend for our third anniversary but he declined the offer, saying how “unadventurous” it would be! Any ideas on ways to get him in the studio, gals?

15. Krystina says

My boyfriend calls me “Tinks.” It started by me calling him “Tinky” and then after a couple weeks, he said I’m the one that truly deserves that name :/ and that it got shortened to Tinks. Haha at least people don’t really know what he’s calling me when we’re in public!

Oh I’ve got lots of nicknames…the two most common from my husband are “Mitzy” (we can’t remember the origin but we think it’s a cross between “Missy” and “Tudsy”) and “Punky Bristow” (A nickname I was given as a baby). Apparently I can get a bit of an attitude? Ha! The hubby calls me Mitzy more than Lauren, and I’ve come to love the nickname.

Cute! I love painting pottery. It’s great that you’re still getting use out of your pieces!

JuJu is cute! My dad also never, EVER calls me by my full name, Meredith. It’s been simply “M” for as long as I can remember.

I took Derek to a pottery class for Valentine’s Day one year! He loved it! I also planned a surprise party at a pottery place for my best friend. So much fun!

My old roommate called me “cups” short for “cupcake” because apparently I “look like a cupcake.” Fortunately, he’s the only one who calls me that but obviously any time anyone hears, he has to explain. So weird. My nephew calls me Deeda because as a baby he had a hard time saying my name, and similarly I call my brother “Bo” short for brother…somehow. Now they’ve both stuck, too!

20. Michelle @ Blogitness says

I just started hot yoga, I love it! It’s kind of addicting the only problem is the lululemon across the street is equally addicting!

Thats a really cute date idea!!

21. Agnes says

Your going to llooooovee hot yoga and become addicted. I’m always a person to work out at the gym, do weights and circuit training until I was introduced to Core Power Yoga. I go there so much I’m debating on canceling my gym membership :). I do this class called yoga sculpt. You do yoga at 95 degrees with weights. A litte bit is bootcamp circuit training too. Yoga tones you in all the right places. Be ready to become a yogi 🙂 <3

22. Emily says

My boyfriend & I call each other cheese… no idea why, but it stuck and we hardly ever call each other by our first names. 🙂

I think my favorite nicknames are for our dog! His name is AJ, but we hardly ever call him that (which could be why he doesn’t listen very well lol)… we call him:

Simpson
    Simpsonater
    Wiz
    Baby cheese

Poor guy is probably confused lol

I used to love going to those pottery places as a kid – I may have to try to find one here! Unfortunately, I don’t have too many cool nicknames – my Dad usually just calls me and my sister babe. One of my friends in high school called me c-dub – made no sense!

24. Cassie D. says

My husband and I have a lot of nicknames for our two cats – they are twin girls. Their names are Coco and Chanel, but Coco has evolved from Coco to Coco Puff to Puffin to Fin, and Chanel has evolved from Chanel to Fat Chanel (Fuh-nel) and now just Fuh. She’s the chubbier of the two and always steals her sister’s food. Also we called them our daughters, which can get funny looks when you’re with other people and say on the phone, “did you feed the daughters when you got home from work?”

Also, my dad always called me babycakes when I was younger, and now that I’m older (26) he shortens it to BC. He literally never calls me by my real name, just BC!

ok this is a weird one but my sister and I call each other Ted. It started out as a typo when we were chatting online – she meant to type in ‘sis’ and actually wrote ‘sos.’ We called each other ‘sos’ for awhile and over the years it’s evolved into a series of 3 letter nicknames ‘sas,’ ‘sus,’ ‘gus…’ and most recently has settled on Ted. For some reason we think it’s hilarious so I think Ted’s going to stick! It’s become so second nature to us that we say it all the time – it’s funny to watch other people’s expressions when we call each other Ted in public. “Hey Ted, wait up, ” or ‘Hey Ted, can you pass the sugar?” 🙂

26. Rachel says

My grandfather called me Cricket. He said that my legs were so skinny that when I ran, they rubbed together and sounded like a cricket.
    Yeah, unfortunately, that one has stuck with me. 🙂

My boyfriend gives me lots of nicknames!! One of them is ‘tush’ which started with fattoush salads and the second one is Claire (my name is Jill)… that one came from a youtube video. SO weird!

28. Katie says

My nephews call me “E” growing up the youngest just heard the last part of my name and that stuck. Im from MD and last week we drove down to Tampa for spring break to Busch Gardens and Clearwater, such a great time. I was so excited to see signs for Ocala!

That bagelwich looks so good today!

My husband calls me Amor and sometimes I have to ask him what my real name is just in case he has forgotten! Oh, and he also calls me Viajita, which nicely translates to Little Old Lady. He insists it’s an endearment…

30. Kristin says

When I was about 4, my sister was just starting to talk and for some reason, she couldn’t say my full name, so we told her to say “kris” and she said kris. Then we told her to say “tin” and she said tin. Then we told her to put it together and say “kristin”. She immediately yelled out “dee dee!!” Apparently she was just good at saying da da, ma ma, and came up with “dee dee” ?? So anyway, that’s what my dad has called me most of my life. I used to get mad at him in high school when he would cheer for me at cross country with that name…

I can’t believe I’m actually typing this … but my ex-boyfriend used to call me “Poop.” Yes, that’s right … Poop. And he didn’t mean it unkindly at all … he truly used it as a term of endearment.

Hmm … I wonder why THAT relationship didn’t work out. 😉

I opted to sleep in this morning instead of going to work out, too – I will have to hit the gym this afternoon but I think it was worth it; the extra sleep felt so good! I still need to try your egg + jelly combo – I love your breakfast sandwiches! That’s really sweet that Ryan painted that plate for you 🙂

33. Kanoe says

My Mom calls me BooBoo LOL! She has called me her BooBoo for 30 years of my life and she ain’t stopping now LOL! Even in front of friends of mine & EVERYONE HAHAHA! I’m used to it now and know it makes me special 🙂

My sisters have called me weasel for as long as I can remember. They started doing it pre Boy Meets Worlds, so of course we were a little miffed when that was a nickname on the show.

Juju!! that is so cute!
    My parents have always called me “bug” since forever because when i was little i had HUGE eyes (i still do but it doesnt look so weird now haha)
    and my boyfriends dad started calling me “drea” (like dree-uh” in high school and it ended up sitcking!
    and i call torrance dum-dum haha
    Love ryans painting! pretty cool, hes a good sport about it too!

I have no idea when it started, but my boyfriend calls me “girlfriend” and I in turn call him “boyfriend”. It’s gotten to the point where we don’t even use each others’ real names anymore and it’s such a habit that it even happens at work (we work in the same building) and people laugh about it all the time when they hear us doing it! All in good fun 🙂
    BUT Boyfriend asked me the other day what will happen when we get engaged and then married and I told him that we will never change the nicknames!

My mom’s been calling me “Little Monkey” since I was a baby. Apparently I liked to cling to her? Then sometime in college my sister started calling me Helen Cakes and it’s stuck. When she calls me that it usually means trouble, like she’s trying to butter me up to do something for her.

38. Dione says

I’m really short (4 foot 9) so when I was in university years ago I had a boyfriend who called me Smurfette all the time. His grandmother called me Sprout (as in the little guy from the Green Giant commercials). I think they rarely ever said my real name ha:)

Strangest nicknames from my boyfriend:
    1. Booboo dookins
    2. Jobadenia (Job-UH-deen-yah)…like Joban from I love you man, but for a lady haha.
    3. Claira-Souix

I call my boyfriend Hoo-die…yes we are special 🙂

40. Jennifer says

My college boyfriend called me Thomas Jefferson. He knew that I used to babysit for a little girl that couldn’t pronounce Jennifer, so she called me Jeffener. He thought it was hysterical, so he ran with it…

I love nicknames. My dad calls me “Celery” because a neighbor used to call me that when she was younger—she couldn’t pronounce “Hillary!” Celery turned into Cell which turned into Cell Phone (yes, really). You should see my friends’ faces when they hear my parents call me Cell Phone. It’s hilarious.

42. Mandi L. says

How’s Ruby Doo and Rooney for nicknames? Those would both be mine and being the my name is Mandi I can totally see where those came from…not.

43. Amanda says

My family calls me Mandy or Mand. In my opinion, there are certain people who fit the nickname and I’m not one of them. Haha.

My fiance calls me, “D.” I think it originated from the fact that I told him I hate the nickname Mandy so he shortened it to “D”. I love it though.

I am known for giving nicknames to people, especially at work!
    I now work with Boots, Bumbles (aka Lady Bumblesworth), SlowCowboy, J$ (pronounced : Jay-Money), E-Dawg, SueBJooB, and Creep.

I don’t know why they let me get away with it.

My parents always called me Doodlebug when I was little!

Brian (my fiance) and I call each other poopy butt…how cute, right? haha, also, my dad calls me Tarenski (pronounced like Tear-en-skee) haha!! Ryan is a trooper for doing the pottery painting date, I asked Brian if he wanted to do that with me once and he said that was a “girl” thing…oh well!

Haha! Love the nickname. My boyfriend calls me chicken and I call him rooster. I’m not positive where it came from, but I think it had something to do with the fact that he says I look like a chicken when I wear my “turd bun” to the gym, and his cell phone alarm used to be a rooster. He even bought me a chicken stuffed animal (it’s a cute webkins one though!) for some holiday – can’t remember, and so I bought him a matching rooster one.

Hehe, how nice of Ryan to stick through it! 😀 My “now-husband” has always wanted to go with me too! Also, lil squirt is such a cute nickname, lol! Errr we sometimes call each other mr. mrs. poopoohead, not sure why! 😛

I had a couple of friends in high school that one day sophomore year decided to call me B-Dawg, so for the rest of high school that was my name to them haha. it makes me sound about 203498230498 times more gangster than I actually am 😛

My brother named me Pigeon/Pidge as I’m short and busty and like to hang around the house.

People at work call me Momma as I’m mothering in nature!

One of my nicknames is Whitler as in Hitler which is HORRIBLE! I’v actually set up 2 of my friends with my husband’s friends (one couple got married and one is engaged) and there was a 3rd couple I was trying to bring together and I can’t remember who it was but one of my friends said I was being like Hitler and trying to create my perfect society/world. It was funny at the time but now the name has stuck. Totally awkward to be out in public and have to respond to Whitler.

51. Christine M. says

My family still calls me “Bean,” as Christine was somehow mangled into “Crisp Bean.” Other variations were “Chrideen,” “Crispy,” and “Chrispalina.”

My ex had a wise arsenal of names for me, including “Snugglesaurus” and “Napadactyl” (depending on my couch behavior.) We also threw around the term of endearment “Stink Butt.” Yeah, that’s over!

52. Julie says

I’m a Julie too and my cousins call me “juju,” friends in high school just called me “ju” half the time and an old boyfriend always called me “jujubee!” Today, I get called Jules the most…have to admit I like juju and jujube the best though! So cute your dad called you juju too. 🙂

53. Angela says

My grandpa has called me “Mangy” (in place of the usual “Angie”) for as long as I can remember. However, being called an infectious skin disease for the entirety of my life has not been too damaging to my self esteem!

54. chelsea says

As long as I can remember my dad has always and still calls me “bubby” no, its not pronounced like boobie…its more like “buh-bee” I’m 22 and he still calls me that, its kinda strange but I do love it 🙂

My wonderful and loving friends call me Anus!! nice huh! It originated because of my name – Jane became janus which rhymed with anus and there you have it 🙂

You’ve got me craving an egg and jelly sandwich!

My friends have given me the name Strudel, because my last name is Trudel. I wonder if my parents planned silly nickname out when they named me…