Vegetable Cereal

When it comes to food, I’m definitely not a picky eater. I will try almost anything at least once and have a pretty open mind. (Exceptions: Extremely spicy food and catfish.) I don’t have a very refined palate either and often find cheapy food just as delicious as crazy-expensive food.

Last week when I asked you guys for recommendations on recipes I should try with my new food processor, blog reader Brooklyn told me about MckMama’s raw veggie cereal.

Yep, that’s cereal made with vegetables. Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Plus pecans and a large apple.

When I visited MckMama’s blog (gorgeous, by the way!), the picture of the veggie cereal looked oddly delicious. I was officially intrigued.

This morning, I followed the recipe on MckMama’s blog, determined to give vegetable cereal a fair try.

vegetable cereal 019

I took a few bites. Hmm. It tasted good, but a little funny. I mostly tasted the apple, so it was slightly sweet.

vegetable cereal 022

I took MckMama’s advice and added almond milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon to the cereal.

vegetable cereal 025

I ate a few more bites.

Guys, I tried to like it. I really did. I just couldn’t get past the fact that I was eating vegetables topped with almond milk. It was funky!

I think that stirring the vegetable cereal base into a bowl of regular cereal (or oatmeal!) like MckMama’s son did would make me like it about 10,000 times more. I missed the crunch and texture of typical cereal and ended up pitching the bowl when I was about halfway through it and made myself an egg sandwich instead.

An adventurous start to the week, huh?

Workout

It’s the final week of the Best Body Boot Camp! I love participating in Tina’s program and will really miss it once it’s over. I am seriously considering repeating the boot camp all over again since I already have all of the workouts printed out and enjoyed the challenge.

The boot camp renewed my love for working out because it pushed me out of my comfort zone, stimulated my mind and exposed me to new exercises every two weeks. Rumor has it Tina may be putting another boot camp together in the future and I’ll definitely be signing up.

I think one of the reasons I train for half marathons every so often is because I am craving a challenge and want to change up my workouts and have a new plan to follow. The boot camp satisfied that craving in a totally new way… a way I enjoy more than running. I gravitate toward circuit workouts and strength training, so boot camp has been a perfect fit.

Today’s workout began with a 20-minute warm up on the elliptical before I went through three rounds of a circuit workout that incorporated strength, cardio and plyometric exercises.

The up down planks kicked my butt!

up down plank

They’re hardcore.

Lots of work to do today! First up is typing up the recipes I created yesterday and editing photos of the food to send on over.

See ya at lunchtime!

Comments

1. Caroline @ After Dinner Dance says

Oh gosh you’re brave! I don’t think you could convince me to try that one!

2. Taylor @ liftingrevolution says

Mas props for giving it a try!!! I prob would have done the same. I prefer sweet over veggies for breakfast. At least you got to use the processor!!

3. Heather says

Oh dear – veggie cereal. I just don’t like my veggies that much. If I could be a Fruitarianinstead of a vegetarian – I would be all set. The best I can do is sneak some spinach into my morning smoothie.

And oh my goodness -I just googled Fruitarian and actually found websites. Here I thought I was joking when I coined that term – guess I wasn’t that original!

Up down planks are tough!! They always challenge me to give everything I have. I like the idea of veggie cereal, but I’m not sure I could get over the fact that I was eating raw veggies for breakfast. I just like traditional breakfast food too much, I guess.

Nope, those planks aren’t easy! I like challenges too, mainly fitness ones, but breakfast challenges can be interesting as well. haha At least you gave it a shot!

I can’t say that veggie cereal sounds that appealing to me. I usually enjoy something sweet in the mornings or an omelet. However, I enjoy reading your honesty, even when you don’t like a particular food. Good effort on trying to like it! That deserves a gold star at the very least.

I love vegetables but veggie cereal is not something I would ever think of. I think I will take your word on it not being the best breakfast and leave the veggies in my omelets and spinach and kale in my smoothies.

8. Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free says

Veggie cereal sounds interesting….I may have to try it just to see how it tastes. Also, up & down planks are killer – as are hip/side touch planks.

Did you know that all clinical nutritionist now have to say “Eat your Veggies and Fruits”….?!?!? They are not allowed to say eat you “fruits and veggies” because people are not eating their veggie servings!

I love up-down planks! They kill your core and arms, but in the best way possible! That veggie cereal looks…interesting. I don’t know if I would be game for that, but good for you for going outside your comfort zone to try it. Have a great day!

actually many people tried to intake more veggie through hiding them, but in my eyes, only green smoothie works. lots of other is actually lying to yourself that it is tasty(it is ONLY healthy BUT NOT tasty)

Eh, all in the day of being an adventurous eater! That sounds like a cereal with the best intentions, so kudos for at least giving it a shot! I remember trying a Reishi mushroom coffee last year (supposedly GREAT for the antioxidants) and it was…uh…a rather special experience. One of those “tried it, now I know I can pass on it next time!” moments.

13. Emily says

I saw your post where you said Ryan and his friend grew up in Parrish, FL together! My sister-in-law grew up there, her parents still live there, and she and my stepbrother live in the Parrish/ Bradenton/ Sarasota area! I love Siesta Key Beach… if I could snap my fingers and be there right now I would! You should ask him if he knows/ remembers Jenny Ray (now Wilson). Small world! 🙂

My sister in law introduced me to these up down planks at her class last week! My arms have never been so sore in my life. She starts with 16 then rests for 30 sec then does 14 rest 12 rest then 10 I could barely get a coat on after- Whew workout!

I’m not sure I could do that veggie cereal and I LOVE veggies and have a pretty open mind when it comes to food…but yeah…i’m not sure about that one.

And I too love to have a challenge and program to follow. It makes working out easier because you don’t have to THINK about what you’re going to do; someone has already done it for you! I’m thinking about starting the FitMixer bootcamp in a few weeks…eek!

Hahaha as i was reading this i was thinking man that sounds gross. When i got to the part where you said you made an egg sandwich instead i laughed out loud and said thankgoodness because man veggies as a bowl of cereal sounds completely unappetizing. Kuddos for giving it a try!

17. Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony says

Veggies are definitely a morning staple for me or others eating Primal, but they are usually in an omelet or baby grape tomatoes next to some hard boiled eggs and avocado (actually a fruit!)

I can barely tell the difference between expensive and cheap food or wine!

Way to be adventurous! The best way to get in my veggies in the morning I’ve found is; Green Smoothies! They just blend right in with the only evidence left being, at times, the color. I am starting my day, every day right now with one – and I post all of the recipes! 🙂

I’m all about textures so I think I’d have to add some kind of crunch to enjoy that breakfast. I love adding spinach to a smoothie, but really eating veggies for bfast just might not do it for me. I love a good egg sandwich too much!

seems like you really enjoyed the bootcamp, might have to sign up for the next one! I am looking for a new exercise challenge after I ran my first marathon yesterday. Need to tone up other areas of my body, my arms and abs are looking very shabby!!!

Mmmm. Not so sure about how I would feel about that veggie breakfast either. I always like my breakfast to have a little sweetness to it. However, I found a Detox Salad recipe (not a breakfast one) that I just looveee that also uses processed broccoli, carrots and cauliflower — plus some raisins, maple syrup and lemon juice (the recipe calls for a few other things, but I usually keep it simple). Sounds weird.. but it’s really great.. just NOT for breakfast 🙂 It’s really great for squeezing in extra veggies.. I seriously eat it by the bowl! Here’s the link if you’re up for another go! http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/27/detox-salad/

Wow veggies in breakfast like that hmm, good for you for trying it out! I doubt I’d be that adventurous! Up and down planks are the best! I love how they work my shoulder and abs

23. Dani says

What would a typical ‘warm up’ on the elliptical look like for you? You reference starting your work outs with this warm up often, so I am just curious to know what levels/resistence you’re doing! 🙂

In theory this looks pretty good but in reality, I just don’t now if I could eat it– especially not with almond milk! I’m impressed you gave it a shot though! For now I’ll stick with spinach in my smoothies!

25. Erin says

Can you let your readers know if Tina does do another bootcamp? I’ve seen several bloggers I know are following her plan. I’d follow her too but I just can’t add one more blog!!!

26. Kelsey says

This inspired me to give it a try and I actually love it haha! as I’m eating my second bowl right now I think its perfect not too sweet but good textures and some shredded coconut helps! 🙂

27. Prepel says

I live off of vegetables, due to a ridiculous amount of food allergies, but even I wouldn’t try this… hehe you’re brave! 🙂

28. Krista says

Decided to make this for breakfast and ran around campus trying to gather the ingredients (couldn’t find cauliflower!) but finally made it. SO GOOD. At first, it was disturbing but once I realized that the taste and texture was good I got over the reality of what it is. Thanks for sharing this, my new obsession!
    NOM
    maybe you should try using more almond milk! I drenched mine in vanilla almond milk !