Permission to Kiss

My fellow circuit workout fanatics, I have a good one for you today!

Following a 20-minute warm up on the elliptical this morning, I completed three rounds of the following circuit:

total body circuit workout

The circuit made my muscles burn and my heart rate escalate quickly, leaving me quite the sweaty mess!

Here are some links to videos or descriptions of the exercises that may be confusing:

Breakfast this morning was the usual egg sandwich served with a side of fresh strawberries.

egg sandwich 035

Whole wheat English muffin + Two fried eggs + Muenster cheese + Jelly

egg sandwich 037egg sandwich 038

Now let’s talk about kissin’!

Permission to Kiss

Last night Ryan didn’t get home until around 9 p.m. because he had plans to play golf with a coworker. This left me with a wide open evening.

Though I ended up sitting at my desk for longer than usual, at around 7:30 p.m., I plopped myself on the couch with Sadie and we watched horrifically fabulous girly television.

The Millionaire Matchmaker.

millionaire matchmaker

I find this show oddly entertaining and often agree with the advice matchmaker Patti gives to her clients. She’s blunt and abrasive (she would surely make me cry) but seems to genuinely want her clients to fall in love.

In the episode I watched last night, Patti was actually matched with two different men since she recently broke up with her boyfriend of seven years. On her first date, she was matched with a guy who, at the end of the date, asked her permission to kiss her.

I instantly cringed.

I laughed when Patti’s staff, upon reviewing the date, also cringed when the guy asked permission to give Patti a kiss.

While I can totally see why guys would think this is gentlemanly and sweet, and can understand why it might really appeal to some girls, it is so off-putting to me!

never ask

I guess I just prefer the guy to be gutsy and go in for the kill. I would hope he’d be able to read my signals properly and make his decision based off the things I say and my body language.

tongue

Thoughts?

Questions of the Morning

• Do you think a guy asking a girl for permission to kiss her is really sweet or completely cringe-worthy?
  • Any horrific kissing stories out there? Please entertain me. It’s Friday.

P.S. The fashion page was updated this morning!

Comments

I think it’s sweet. I think this is mostly because of the movie Now and Then when Devon Sawa’s character asks Christina Ricci’s if he can kiss her. He just looks so sweet and vulnerable and it’s such a cute moment! If I liked the guy I’d definitely think it was cute.

2. Annalise says

So I have to say that this happened to me! I dated a guy a few years back and on the eve of our first “official” date, we met up with some of his coworkers for happy hour and afterward, when he walked me to my car, he asked if he could kiss me so it wouldn’t be awkward on our “first” date. I have to say that was a turn off! I mean, you’re right, read the girl and see if she’s ready for it! Needless to say, my fiance, a different guy, waiting until date #4 to kiss me because he could tell I wasn’t ready. To me, that’s a man and why I’m marrying him!

I agree that seeing a guy intuitive enough to know when to go for it, is more appealing than the other. It shows a confidence on his part, and that’s always attractive!

Great workout. Saving that one. Ick, if a guy asked if he would kiss me it would turn me off instantly. I find it completely awkward! It is just the worst, there is no non awkward response to that in my opinion. It would be hard to come back from that one.

5. Rachael says

100% agree and i love the millionaire matchmaker! it is one of my many guilty pleasure shows. also, sadie is so darn cute! i come from a “boxer family” but your blog has made me seriously consider getting a viszla when the time is right…

6. Lin says

I once dated a guy that asked if he could kiss me….. every.single.time. Then he’d assign names for the kisses. For instance: He cooked me dinner one night and afterward he said “Can I get a dinner kiss?” Another time I saw him briefly on Easter as I was driving through his city on the way to my hometown and he asked “Can I get an Easter kiss?” He was a super nice guy but this drove me nuts.

Right after moving to a new city, I joined a group of new hires at my company for a night out on the town. We were at a nightclub on the dance floor and one of them leaned in and said “kiss me, kiss me!” in a really awkward, but forceful way. It was so offputting that I grabbed one of the girls with us and ran away to another part of the club! haha. A couple weeks later I was on a first date (with the guy who I’d end up dating for almost 2 years) and told him about that awkward refused kiss as a funny joke. Apparently he took that story super seriously and didn’t try to kiss me for the entire 1st month of our dating! Lesson learned – never share stores like this on a first date.

8. cora says

i went on a few blind dates before i met my now-husband. there were many cringeworthy moments, including one guy who left me repeated messages begging, yes begging, me to call him back. after hearing “come oooon, talk to meeeeeeeeeeee” in a high-pitched whine, i vowed to never again go near the fellow.

but i digress. awkward kissing story? i went on a very casual date (along the lines of “hey i’ll be here, so if you are too that’s fine”) with a reasonably ok guy. there was no chemistry, but he was smart and entertaining, so we at least had some good conversation. i gave absolutely zero “oh yes i am interested in you romantically” signals because, well, i wasn’t at all. and frankly, as he was not shy about sharing the heavy tranquilizers he took three times a day i did not think he was really trying to impress me either. shows what i know.
    after dinner and a beer, he walked me to the subway. i didn’t ask him to, he just did it. uh oh. he started getting weird, acting very awkward and nervous. i said something along the lines of “hey nice to see you. have a great night!” and he leaned in to say,
    “i have something to ask you. would you.. would you.. like to be kissed?”

D’OH.

i nearly started laughing form the awkwardness. but i’m not a jerk. so i politely declined, and he reached out to SHAKE MY HAND.
    the next day he invited me to a bbq. i declined. two weeks later i met the man i ended up marrying. the man who, by the way, just went for a kiss without asking first because it was so obvious we were both into each other.

moral of the story: if you have to ask/beg/deceive/manipulate, she’s probably just not that into you.

My first kiss is a horror/comedy story for the ages. Please note, everything in “quotes” should be internally recited with a heavy Spanish accent.

Very long story short, I was in a night club on the last night of a cruise with a female friend I’d met and the guy who did audio on the ship, who I ended up talking with a bunch. Just the three of us (I was 18, this didn’t seem bad to me then). The guy was Giovanni from Costa Rica (so strange), and he’d just finished telling me and the other girl that his girlfriend at home was bisexual, and he “let’s her have the ladies, if he can watch” (what a charmer) when another guy joined us. He spoke rapid Spanish to Giovanni, who immediately got up and put on a salsa tune.

I dance salsa with my brothers in our kitchen, so I (stupidly) thought nothing of it when Giovanni started dancing with me. Within 10 seconds he was rather aggressively kissing me and I was in shock. I remained in shock when he stopped, looked me in the eye and said, “you look so innocent, but you are not.” Seriously.

So I told him that it had been my first kiss. He looked mortified, apologized up and down, and kept me at arms length so I thought everything was settled. Until he pulled me tight against him, tried to roam with his hands, and delivered the best line I’ve ever gotten: “So, you have never been…touched…by a man?”

I was out of that night club in 2 seconds flat.

Hey, I was wondering if you ladies had the same mentality about sexual encounters; would you rather the man know you are into him through body language and not ask, or do you think it’s better for him to make sure you are OK with it?
    ~Ego

Just wish to say your article is as amazing.
    The clarity in your post is just cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.

Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

Greetings! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might
    be able to correct this issue. If you have any suggestions,
    please share. Cheers!