Reebok and FitFluential Blogger Event

As I sit here eating breakfast, I have so many thoughts running through my head about yesterday’s Fitfluential blogger event at the Reebok headquarters.

IMG_0197-001

I have so much to share with you guys about the day!

Before the event, participating bloggers were sent a package full of Reebok apparel to wear. I paired a Reebok CrossFit racer long bra top and sports bra with spandex capris and hot pink Reebok RealFlex Transition sneakers that I got in the goodie bag from the Fitness Magazine Meet & Tweet event earlier this week.

IMG_0189-001

As I was getting dressed, I received a text from Tina that absolutely made me light up inside. It simply said, “Maryloooooou’s!”

IMG_0190-001

Tina lives just outside of Boston and frequently blogs about Marylou’s and their fabulous flavored iced coffee. A bunch of us were hoping to try the peanut butter wonderful iced coffee that she raves about and Tina was kind enough to go out of her way and pick some up and bring them to the hotel where a group of us stayed the previous night.

IMG_0191-001

Now that’s what I call service!

IMG_0192-001

The iced coffee lived up to Tina’s hype (though Sarah would disagree, saying, “Guys, it’s just iced coffee,” but she knows not what she says). I kept saying I thought the peanut butter iced coffee would taste fantastic if you blended it… like some kind of a coffee and peanut butter milkshake. It was sweet and creamy and I slurped it down in no time at all.

Breakfast occurred at the hotel as we waited for the shuttle to arrive to take us to Reebok headquarters.

Since we ate at the hotel, breakfast was unfortunately rather pricey, but at least it tasted good!

IMG_0193-001

I got the egg white frittata with hash browns. The hash browns were the best part and the crispy edges made me one happy girl. I also shared a bowl of fruit with Courtney.

IMG_0195-001

And then it was time to head out and start the day!

Reebok Headquarters

As we drove up to the Reebok headquarters, I felt like we were driving onto a very small college campus.

IMG_0198-001

Inside the facility was nice and bright thanks to a ton of windows. (I have a thing for well-lit buildings and houses after living in an apartment that I called “the cave” in Orlando that felt like death and dying because of the lack of light.)

The Reebok employees we met were so enthusiastic, knowledgeable and excited about their jobs. Perhaps it’s because they’re encouraged to use the workout facilities on the campus and, as Elle Woods would say, exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy!  (How many of you are thinking your grouchy coworkers should do 5,000 jumping jacks a day right now?)

Throughout the day, our group would come back to a small room upstairs that acted as our staging area and was set up with displays of the latest Reebok shoes and apparel.

IMG_0202-001

The day began with a PowerPoint presentations outlining what Reebok is all about and the way they want their brand to be viewed by consumers.

IMG_0203-001

They made reference to the time when Reebok was the pinnacle of women’s fitness during the decade when step aerobics was popular and everyone wore the solid white Reebok sneakers. They seem to want to return to being viewed as the primary brand for “Fitness,” which inspired their partnership with CrossFit.

CrossFit

If you’re unfamiliar with CrossFit, the workouts are, according to CrossFit, “constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement,” and are typically fairly short, frequently lasting 20 minutes or less. But the beauty of CrossFit, as it was explained to us, is that it’s scalable to any fitness level.

Reebok and CrossFit joined forces in January and the popularity of CrossFit only took off further than it already had, with more and more CrossFit gyms, called “boxes,” popping up everywhere.

We were told ahead of time that we were going to try a CrossFit workout at the CrossFit One facility on the Reebok headquarters campus and I was beyond excited.

IMG_0206-001

I’ve read a lot about CrossFit and heard a lot about it from friends who are absolutely enamored with it, so I knew to expect a workout that would kick my booty. I was actually a little nervous about the workout but pretty pumped to finally try something I’ve heard so much about throughout the past several months.

Before we were allowed to begin our workout, two CrossFit instructors from Reebok took ample time to teach us the correct form and make sure we knew how to do everything safely before attempting anything ourselves.

IMG_0212

IMG_0214-001

We learned how to properly complete bodyweight squats, kettlebell swings and pull-ups using a band for assistance thanks to coaching from Austin Malleolo, a CrossFit coach and superstar CrossFit athlete. (He placed 6th in the CrossFit Games in 2010!)

IMG_0209-001

And then it was time for the workout!

In teams of two, we were told to complete the following:

• 200 meter sprint (one partner runs while the other rests)
  • 45 kettlebell swings (split between partners however they choose)
  • 24 pull-ups (split between partners however they choose)

Courtney and I teamed up which made me happy since we were both CrossFit newbies and weren’t sure what to expect. I knew that we’d support each other and just have fun with it and we definitely did.

IMG_0215-001

And you’ll never guess what happened…

IMG_0218-001

Somehow we ended up finishing the workout first! (Major props to Anne and Tina who were second but used a heavier kettlebell than the one recommended since Tina is a CrossFit pro!)

I cannot tell you how much fun I had during the workout. I felt like a kid at recess (or Field Day – did you guys have that?) and loved cheering for Courtney and pushing myself harder than I would if I were working out on my own.

I was also VERY surprised to find myself feeling slightly competitive. When Courtney and I started we had absolutely no expectations for ourselves, but once I set out on the second round of 200 meter sprints and realized we actually were doing okay, I found myself wanting to do really well and kicked it into gear.

The fact that any sort of competitive drive came out in me was a shocker because I was literally the girl who asked her track coach in junior high if I could just practice with the team and not compete because I hated competition so much and just liked the team atmosphere and workouts.

I can see why people love CrossFit for numerous reasons, including the community and the desire to push yourself out of your comfort zone.

IMG_0217-001

I texted Ryan immediately after the workout saying how much I loved it and now he’s anxious to go. I think he would absolutely thrive in a CrossFit environment because he loves athletic challenges.I think there are a handful of CrossFit boxes in Ocala, so I’m hoping to check one out soon.

I’ll be back in a bit with part two of this recap!

Comments

Great recap Julie and your day sounds like a blast! Reading that Reebok is so passionate about their product as well as their employees makes me love the company even more! I have always been on the fence about Crossfit but I suddenly really want to try it!

Oh my gosh! Sounds sooooo fun!

And I have to laugh, because I actually trained with our cross country team but was never part of the official team because I hated competing in races. Now I love them. Go figure. Haha.

Oh! Makenzie has her first field day on Monday. I’m so excited!

Thanks for sharing your experience with Cross Fit! I have been dying to try it- but am a bit intimidated- but it sounds like it’s a welcoming environment even to the newbies!

That was a great description of Cross Fit. I have yet to try it, but have been wanting to for a while now. Recently, while completing my training to become a BodyPump instructor we had Body Pump challenge in which we were given a workout, told to increase our normal weight and had to complete the entire thing alternating with a partner. It definitely makes it more fun, and that competitive feeling is kind of addicting! Good job on finishing first, and that Peanut Butter iced coffee sounds delicious! I wonder what the peanut butter flavor comes from?

5. Agnes says

You girls look so cute! I’m in looove with the pink sneakers. It’s a must have ;). I was always fascinated with cross fit as well. I think its rather a new concept. Haven’t heard about it till recently. I love a good challenge but shy away from competition. I do the bodyrock workouts online and those kick my butt!!. I bet cross fit is triple the hard work! Have fun 🙂 Back to work I go…I’m a nurse and would looove if they incorporated a mini cross fit session during my 12 hour shift 😉 wishful thinking :/

I am so glad you are sharing your experience in such detail! To be honest, I didn’t realize that reebok had such cute work-out gear! I can definitely tell that the brand is remodeling itself, and I like what I see! 🙂 I love your outfit with the matching shoes!

7. Alycia says

Love the Elle Woods reference! 🙂

Sounds like a great event, wish I was a blogger and could have been invited. And the sway, oh the swag. Just makes me swoon with jealousy!

A crossfit box (new term to me!) just opened up from me literaly 5 min from my house! I’m dying to try it after I’m done with my personal training sessions…I’ve got to figure out when I can go without kids since they don’t really have the option for babysitters. Seems like you had a lot of fun!

9. Jordan K says

The Reebok headquarters look awesome! So glad you and Courtnety rocked the WOD! You’d be great at CrossFit I bet! I totally agree about the inner competitiveness coming out when you’re doing a CrossFit workout too! Definitely makes me push harder and have more fun! 🙂

I knew you’d love it! It is like recess and you would think it gets old, but it never does. I’ve been going for over a year, and just yesterday as the clock counted down I must have had an anxious look on my face. My coach looked at me, laughed, and said “You’re workout should make you nervous!”

11. Mary says

You should think about being a trainer. I could totally see you doing that as you enjoy working out so much. You could still blog!!!

I have always wanted to try Crossfit but I am scared of it, lol! I AM competitive and I fear that I will suck at it and never want to return Plus, it is pretty $$ in my area….$100 per month!

I have to be honest, I always kind of overlook Reebok gear but the stuff you had on was cute! Maybe it is time to give them a chance.

13. Hannah says

This is my first time commenting, but I love your blog! I am OBSESSED with crossfit, and have been wanting to comment that you should try it, so I’m glad you did. You should try it out at home too, most boxes have free classes you can try out and intro classes to teach you everything. It seriously is amazing and I have gotten in so much better shape after doing it for only 6 months. Your blog and Tina’s are my two favorites, I love that you’re friends!

Looks like a SUPER fun day! I’ve never tried CrossFit but I’m definitely intrigued to at least TRY it.

And that iced coffee…when I go to Boston, I’m figuring out how to get there because I want to try that Peanut Butter iced coffee!!

Sweet outfit! Sounds like a great day and workout. I love doing workouts with other people b/c it IS motivating and more fun—plus you’re right, you often step it up a bit more too 🙂

16. Annie says

i am SO excited that you loved it! it’s amazing, isn’t it? that competitive feeling can’t help but escape when you’re knee deep in a WOD, and i love it. i’m excited for you and ryan to try it together! i’ve never done a team workout like that, and it looks awesome… i’ll have to suggest it to our trainer at my next class 🙂

This is a great recap! So awesome that you enjoyed the atmosphere and energy of it all! Now, I really want to try crossfit out. I’ve been doing some of the workouts they post modified at home, and definitely would love to go to a box to complete a real one. But, I do admit I’m slightly frightened to go for my first time! And congrats to you and Courtney for the #1 time, how fun!

18. Lisa says

Haha! I was just reading SkinnyRunner’s blog about being at this event! I think you should add her to your blog roll now that you have this field trip in common. :)- Looks like you had a great time!!

I have been dying to get into CrossFit… there is just no where around my area that has a box. I don’t want to have to travel too much to get to a workout – otherwise I might get less enthusiastic about it 🙁

20. Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

My roommates brother works for Reebok and was telling me about this! He always gets a bunch of Reebok SWAG and gives it to us 🙂 Glad you had a good time!!

We had Field Day in elementary school too! It was the best day ever. If CrossFit is anything like Field Day, I need to do it as soon as possible!

22. Jessica says

I live a few minutes south of Boston and Marylou’s is definitely not “just” coffee!! Whenever I have a really bad day I swing by and grab a yummy iced coffee. I’ll have to try the peanut butter one. There are so many different flavors but I have a hard time stepping out of the box when I go there 🙂

I LOVE Crossfit and all that is has to offer for health and fitness. If I could afford it, I would get a membership and go 5 times a week! For now, random $15 drop-ins will have to do.

The primary condition for getting a low credit score loan
    is basically that you should be using a steady income and really should not plunged
    yourself in heavy debt. However, the quick cash loans
    appear to be simple and quick you’ll find few points that many borrower has to be aware of before he applies for the borrowed funds.