The Chief

Last night was one of those great nights for absolutely no reason.

After dinner, Ryan and I took Sadie on an extra long walk in the drizzling rain, came home and hung out on the couch while watching last week’s Modern Family on the DVR. I didn’t want to interrupt such a nice evening and pull out my laptop, so here I am this morning!

I hope your Wednesday night was relaxing, but if it wasn’t there are only two more days to the weekend!

Workout

Today’s workout was inspired by CrossFit.

You know I couldn’t wait to try a CrossFit workout after loving the experience at Reebok last week!

reebok crossfit one

For those of you who aren’t drinking the CrossFit Kool-Aid, CrossFit posts a different workout of the day (WOD) on their website every day. This is pretty cool because it allows people who aren’t members of a CrossFit gym to do the workout on their own.

Ryan frequently looks at the CrossFit website for inspiration for his workouts and the other day he did a workout called “The Chief.”

• 3 Power cleans (135 pounds)
  • 6 Push-ups
  • 9 Squats (no weight)

The workout said to do as many rounds of the above exercises as possible in three minutes before resting for one minute and completing a total of five cycles.

Today I asked Ryan about the workout and he walked me through it. I ended up changing it a bit because I wasn’t moving very fast and used a much lighter weight. My workout lasted a little longer (five cycles of five minutes of the exercises), but I did the power cleans with 50 pounds and included an overhead press and then did the majority of the push-ups on my knees.

I wasn’t dying at the end of the workout, but I think I definitely could’ve pushed myself harder had I chosen a heavier weight. My biggest complaint was how badly the bar ripped into my hands!

Regular CrossFitters, do you ever wear gloves? I feel like my hands would have crazy calluses if I did workouts like this all the time… or at least I hope they would because my hands were so sensitive and the harder skin would probably help protect them a bit.

Today’s breakfast included vegetables!

scrambled eggs 010

I feel a small sense of accomplishment whenever I cram veggies in my morning meal.

Today I made scrambled eggs with two eggs, milk, shredded cheese, onion and spinach and served them with a toasted whole wheat English muffin topped with a bit of Smart Balance.

scrambled eggs 012

Plus a hot mug of coffee.

coffee

More writing is on the agenda for today!

Have a fantastic Thursday!

Comments

Yup, no gloves at CrossFit. My hands actually don’t look bad–I have definite calluses, but they’re not ugly or noticeable.

It’s kind of like how runners are weirdly proud of their nasty feet…my friends and I are always comparing rips and calluses before a WOD!

I am not a crossfitter (although I want to try it!) but I wear gloves at the gym sometimes. I ripped a palm once on a barbell. It hurt. a lot. lol.

3. D says

I do not wear gloves. I welcome the calluses. It’s always documented at my box when you have your first ‘rip’…meaning your skin rips :) Ridiculous, I know.

Agreed with the poster that mentioned people should learn the proper form before venturing to their gym to do olympic lifts. Most boxes offer a Foundations Program that includes a 1 month membership (mine was $200) and they will teach you! We also offer Olympic Litfing Clinics where non-members can pay to attend and I think that’s also common. Totally worth it!

I have to wear gloves when I lift weights, because it hurts the skin on my hands waaay too much to not. Don’t want ugly callused hands thank you. Maybe its cause I’m a baby though that I find it painful ;)

I don’t do cross fit, but I lift regularly and do moves such as cleans.. and I wear gloves all of the time. I don’t have big bulky, heavily padded gloves…but just enough to protect my hands from bad calluses.

My hands are always all calloused up from the bars but I feel like a wuss wearing gloves. I’ve stopped wearing my wedding rings at the gym and that seemed to help a little bit. I think I hold the bar weird with my rings on to avoid scratching them up?

7. Nikki Gerrard says

I do a lot with free weights at the gym (as well as the machines) and I just started wearing gloves. The difference is amazing. I had to try on a few pairs of gloves to find just the right ones that hit in the spots of my calluses (or wear the calluses would be).

Hey Julie-

I know a lot of ppl above have not worn gloves and I have not either during my CF workouts to date, BUT a lot of the ladies at my box wear gloves. I don’t care if the hard core ladies have a prob ;)

I am very conscious though about when to wear them because of slipping and falling.

I’m so excited you have gotten the CrossFit bug! I LOVE it!

9. colleen says

Found this blog while browsing the web. I too try to get veggies in everywhere I can. One way I do it at breakfast is a couple spoons of canned pumpkin in my oatmeal, add some cinnamon and stevia or raisins, mmm

After doing CrossFit for more than 2 years, I can say that your hands never get used to it. I have tried gloves and grips, but really the best thing to use is chalk. Also, if you are going to do more bar work, go buy a pumice scrubber and scrub your palms every day in the shower. This will strengthen the skin and help prevent it from ripping.