Forced to Change

Do you ever have a workout completely planned out and then you’re forced to change it because certain machines or weights are occupied at the gym?

This used to happen to me a lot more often when I hit the gym after work, but at 5:30 a.m., the weights or machines I want to use are usually available.

Today that simply wasn’t the case. Apparently it was Squat Rack Wednesday at the gym this morning because for the entire time I was at the gym, the two squat racks were occupied.

Ryan always says that when the weights or machines he wants to use are occupied, he takes it as a challenge to do a new exercise or think outside of the box. I look at it as a fantastic opportunity to walk by the weights several times, sighing in annoyance so they’ll stop hogging the machine and let me do my thing.

I’m just kidding, I promise!

I’ve tried to adopt Ryan’s tactic as well. This morning revamping my LiveFit leg workout a bit proved quite successful because I left the gym feeling like I got a great leg workout.

leg workout

Links to descriptions of some of the moves:

It was one of the best leg workouts I’ve had in quite some time.

When Ryan and I arrived home from the gym, we ate a quick breakfast before taking Sadie on a walk around the neighborhood.

waffle breakfast sandwich 050

I topped two toasted Van’s waffles with muenster cheese, raspberry jelly and two fried eggs.

waffle breakfast sandwich 055

For some reason the cheese tasted extra delicious this morning. Mmm!

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• What do you do when you’re unable to do the workout you originally planned? Throw in the towel? Try out something new?

Comments

i hate when that happens! i try not to get frustrated but i’ve found myself going to the gym later in the evening to avoid this. unfortunately, going to the gym at 10pm leaves me wide awake for hours after.

I think I may have to adapt to Ryan’s methods.

i’ve never tried cheese on waffles. kinda freaks me out a bit. 🙂

2. Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

If the machine I want to use is occupied I usually try to improvise as well and come up with a new workout. For me it’s really been hit or miss. Sometime’s I’ll come up with a replacement workout that kicks my butt and sometimes it just doesn’t do it for me and I end up waiting for the machine anyways. The great thing about the gym I go to is there are several different versions of every machine spread out all over the gym so that even if the machine I want to use is taken, there’s an alternate machine that works the same muscles that I can jump onto. Win win!

• Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

P.S. This may sound extremely strange/weird/fillintheblank, but Sadie was in my dream last night. Yes, I dreamt about your dog. I promise I’m normal? Hahaha I was taking my dog for a walk and all of a sudden Sadie came sprinting towards us and started playing with my pup and they became best friends. Basically, Sadie is famous taking over blog readers dreams one dream at a time 😉

3. Angela says

I’m laughing out loud reading everyone’s responses. If they are sitting on a machine and not using it, my technique is to tap them, usually a male, on the shoulder and ask them if they are using the machine. They always say no and move right away. : )

But if I have to improvise, I always do lunges or some sort of free weight since it’s not a machine.

Last summer I was at the gym and the power went out during BodyPump! The instructor did a few tracks without music — just counting the beats — but we all agreed it just wasn’t the same. I hung out & did some weights on my own, but it wasn’t long before I called it quits!

I really like Ryan’s idea to use it as an opportunity for change! I really never have that problem, because the majority of my workouts come from teaching group exercise classes, and I do my bootcamp workouts at home. But, my husband goes to the gym every morning at 5 am- and the weight room definitely has a few people in it at that time. I hear him come home and complain any time that anyone monopolizes a machine for too long (but he is a creature of habit!)

Try something new! Our gym is always crowded, even at 5:30 am. Usually it’s a specific weight machine that’s occupied. Since I tend to hop around anyway, I’ll just try something else.

I have actually had some of my best workouts when the machines I was planning to do are occupied. If definitely forces me to think outside the box, and when you are making things up in your head as you go, you don’t have time to get intimidated about you workout. Simple “feeling out” how much of a workout you are getting is so much better than planning a workout, then dreading every second of it.

Don’t laugh but I finally broke down and googled Muenster (cheese)!LOL. At first I thought maybe you were just using a slang word or maybe it was some fun name you and ryan gave the cheese but then I quickly came to realize that probably wasn’t the case:) Next time I go over to Buffalo I might have to look for this tasty sounding cheese!

9. Sandy says

How funny, we are on the same program/same days. Since I am not talented enough to come up with my own workout I simply move on to the next activity until the machine is empty then I will do the excercise I was suppose to do.

I used to get so frustrated when all the treadmills were in use, especially if people were walking super slow on them since there was a track too!
    In regards to the above comment, I had never heard of Muenster cheese either until I started reading your blog!

I get a little wigged out when things don’t go according to plan. Like when planned summer runs get nixed by downpours or extreme air conditions. I don’t have a gym or treadmill to turn to. But I will always have yoga. Yoga makes my mindset all better 🙂

This almost happened to me yesterday. There’s a group of three people at my gym who like to do a mini “group” arm workout in the free weights section, but they take up the whole area! I was going to just throw in the towel and just do my arm workout at home, but then I decided “nope, not gonna let that happen” so I just moseyed my way over and stood on the outskirts and did my own thang. Haha.

I have to be honest, I’m guilty of seeing it as the perfect excuse to skip that machine that particular day. Or at least, I used to. Now I tend to do my strength workouts at home so it’s not a problem!

Machine hoggers are the worst, especially when they’re just sitting on the machine texting!