TRX Class

On Monday, my gym released is summer group exercise schedule and there are quite a few classes on the new agenda that caught my eye.

When I saw that a TRX class was added on Wednesday mornings, I was pumped!

trx class

(Source)

I’ve tried using TRX straps a few times in the past, but since I’ve never taken a class, this morning I arrived excited to learn new exercises and challenge my body in a different way.

I was also a little nervous about how the class would go because my legs are still incredibly sore from Monday’s leg workout. I blame the single leg deadlifts! Killer.

To begin, the instructor had us pair up with a partner and walked us through the various exercises and circuits.

We did three rounds of three different circuits and while one partner did something on the TRX, the other tackled a workout that didn’t involve the straps.

Our workout looked like this:

• Circuit one: 20 squat jumps with TRX, 20 lunges with one-arm kettlebell row (10 each leg/arm)
  • Circuit two: 25 reverse flyes with TRX, 25 kettlebell swings
  • Circuit three: 50 sec. running in place while pumping arms and leaning into the TRX, 20 pushups

The whole workout took about 30 minutes and was so much fun! I hope to take the class again next week!

Breakfast today was good (egg + cheese + jelly bagelwich), but the highlight was the coffee!

egg bagel sandwich 011egg bagel sandwich 017

I have some Barnie’s Santa’s White Christmas coffee leftover from the holidays and had special plans for it this morning.

barnie's santa's white christmas

Check out that foam!

coffee with foam

I finally put the areolatte milk frother I got for my birthday to the test and it passed with flying colors.

aerolatte

I felt awfully fancy drinking a coffee with lots of foam from home.

Aside from the stellar foam results, the aerolatte was so easy to use! I simply microwaved almond milk and then placed the aerolatte at the bottom of the mug of milk and turned it on, frothing the milk for about 15 seconds before pouring it on top of my hot coffee. Awesome!

On that note, I think I’ll go make another cup right now before settling in for the work day ahead.

Comments

That TRX class looks awesome! I wish my gym did something like that. I’m just grateful that they offer BodyPump!

Your bagels always make me crave big doughy delicious bagels – they look so good!

2. Mer says

I did that LiveFit Legs workout on Monday as well, and my hamstrings are SO sore. I’ve been stretching and rolling on the foam roller as much as possible. Are you planning to do the leg workout again tomorrow despite the soreness, or are you adapting it?

I’m glad you enjoyed the TRX class! I used to do a lot of TRX work with my trainer when I was working with him, and it’s amazing how the workout can be so humbling even though you’re just using your own body weight and the tension in the straps. I think it’s a great way to mix up your training as well, especially if you’re used to just doing cardio then weights. Have a great day Julie!

I like TRX, but I can’t say that I love it. I do really feel the ab pull-ins or pikes with TRX though, that’s for sure. I also really feel single-leg deadlifts (sans-TRX) – they always leave me a little sore!

hahahah I love that you felt fancy drinking that coffee. I totally made iced coffee today and felt fancy…. which is hilarious because it’s basically just adding ice…. Whatever, we are so fancy!

I LOVE the TRX class that my gym offers, but they are SUPER popular so you have to sign up to take the class over a week in advance so it is sometimes hard to get a spot! I feel like my workout FLIES by then I do TRX which is always a great thing!

7. Kara says

Hey Julie! I was curious if you knew of any good low carb blogs that were good?? I started the Atkins diet Monday..I’m trying to drop a little weight before the beach in 2 weeks. If you could help me out, I’d appreciate it!

8. Lisa says

The TRX class sounds very interesting and like a lot of fun. I’m always looking for fun ways to exercise so I don’t fall into a boring routine!!

I was finishing up my exercise session at home this morning by doing a short circuit of intense cardio moves (after I did my strength training). I had planned on doing 3 sets of the moves and by the end of set 2 I was ready to just be done. But then I thought “What would Julie do?” and I pushed through the final set. My heart was racing by the time I was done but I’m so glad I pushed through. I felt so good afterward and it was even more satisfying because I really wanted to stop after 2 sets but I kept going! So thanks for being part of my motivation this morning :)

9. Courtney says

I love TRX bands – my gym offers small-group functional training and our trainer is ALL ABOUT the TRX bands. We often do circuits similar to the one you describe, and I always feel like it works my muscles more effectively than weights along. Hope you continue enjoying the class!

Trx is so awesome! I’ve been doing it on my own and it gives me a pretty good workout. And I feel so fuzzy when I drink foamy coffee at home lol 😛 have a blessed a.m.!

Trx workout looks awesome! I wish my campus center had a trx workout. Your bagel whiches make me crave a good bagel sandwich. That foamy coffee looks amazing. Pretty soon you could become your own barista! :)
    Have a great work day

My Y has a TRX class and I’ve heard it is awesome…but I won’t lie the whole idea is a bit intimidating…but this post kind of makes me want to try it sometime.

13. Nan says

I have that frothier,too. But….how long does your froth actually last after you pour it on your coffee? Mine goes away so quickly :-(.

How cool that they acually offer a TRX class at your gym! I’ve seen the TRX stuff before, but I’ve always been too intimidated to try it myself! And I agree – milk frothers are so awesome! Who needs Starbucks?? (Ok, that’s a lie…I definitely need starbucks)

15. Sian says

Hehe my mum has that exact aerolatte frother! She got it years ago – not sure where from, but it brings back memories of me singing “aerolatte!” while using it to make milk shakes :o)