10 to 6 Workout

Oh my gosh, do I have a workout to share with you guys today!

Check it ooout!

10 to 6 workout

I was a sweaty mess by the time I finished this workout today.

I used a 50-pound bar for the squats, a 40-pound bar for the lunges and a 25-pound kettlebell for the kettlebell swings, but If you’re looking for an At Home Workout, you could easily use your bodyweight for the squats and lunges and substitute something like high knees for the kettlebell swings. That would make this workout a living room friendly circuit that requires no equipment!

I got the idea for the decreasing reps in this workout from a workout that I pinned earlier this week on Pinterest from Annica Nicole. She’s way more hardcore than I am and her workout decreased reps from 10 all the way to one. Annica’s workout also involved more core exercises, so I changed it up to incorporate more cardio and total-body exercises, but decreased the overall reps. Annica is legit!

Breakfast this morning hit the spot.

scrambled eggs with hummus 001

Hummus scrambled eggs with broccoli and yellow squash + Sweet wheat Alternative bagel + Gouda cheese

scrambled eggs with hummus 007

This breakfast is sitting like a rock in my stomach. I ate it as I clicked through my inbox this morning and think I kept eating past my normal point of fullness. Voluminous veggies are filling! I guess that’s why you’re not supposed to eat with any distractions, right?

When it comes to eating with distractions, I eat breakfast, lunch and my morning and afternoon snacks in front of the computer nearly every day. It’s only at dinnertime that I will sit at the table and eat distraction-free.

Question of the Morning

• Do you eat in front of the computer or television or are you a distraction-free eater?

Comments

1. Emily says

Thanks for this! Will definitely try it at home today :)
    Are you not doing dinnertime posts anymore? I’ve noticed that lately you seem to be posting twice a day as opposed to three times! Just curious :)

• says

no! i still hope to! i just had a lot of freelance work this week and at dinnertime just didn’t feel like posting a blog post after writing all day. the posts would’ve been something insanely lame like, “tonight we had salmon and it was good.” :)

I did a very similar type of workout – same countdown concept, but starting from 15 and going down to 1, with different exercises on Thursday. It was a killer!! As for eating, I don’t watch much tv at all but am very guilty of eating in front of my computer while blogging!

It’s terrible but I rarely eat at the dining table: breakfast/lunch are in front of the computer whereas dinner in front of the tv…this needs to change!

I almost always eat breakfast in front of the computer…I find it’s my time in the morning to decompress post-workout, get mentally ready for the day, and click through e-mail and blogs. Interestingly, when I don’t take this time in the morning, my morning feels so frazzled!!!

• Emily says

Speaking of salmon – when you cook it, do you remove the black skin on the bottom after it’s cooked or leave it and just fork the fish out? I love salmon, but I have a hard time preparing it myself because the skin gives me the heebie jeebies.

I’m the same way. Breakfast and lunch are at my desk as I work, and then (sometimes) dinner is distraction free. Other times it is while I watch tv though, especially if my husband is still at work. It’s something I need to get better at, but it is hard!

Julie. that breakfast looks like mine this morning. Mine was Egg scramble, with leftover green pepper, leftover diced onion, and leftover can of Rotell tomatos. Instead of a cheese bagel I stirred my scramble in oatmeal!

I always eat breakfast and lunch in front of the computer. Usually I have a hardcore running practice in the morning and its my way to relax after running. Dinner is usually with family at the table or just something light. One thing i hate is eating while standing up.

8. Elisabeth says

I eat breakfast in front of the computer, lunch is at work 5 days/week where I always read a book and dinner is in front of the tv. Ha! I know they say not to eat distracted, but I only serve myself a set amount of food & don’t eat seconds of anything (dinner included), so it’s not really a problem for me.

I am guilty for eating in front the computer almost every morning and most days if I come for lunch then too. For supper we usually eat in the kitchen but probably once a week in the livingroom while watching TV.

10. Eileen says

I see no problem with distracted eating as long as you portion control in the kitchen before heading to the computer or couch. It is a better use of time! Great post, thanks for keeping me interested day after day PBF!

11. mel says

I also eat breakfast and lunch (and snacks) in front of the computer or while studying. Honestly, It doesn’t bother me too much becuase I portion out my serving and lets get real…I would finish it even if there were no distractions. haha

12. Annie says

I have breakfast in front of the comp (check my mails, fb and so on), then when I’m home I’ll usually switch tv on for lunch or read my book. If I’m at my dad’s or with my boyfriend we’ll have dinner together without distractions but if I’m home alone it’ll be the same as lunch. I’m a slow eater though, especially if I’m reading at the same time!

ps: that workout looks awesome!!

• T. says

I do this also. I always always have to finish my plate.

As for the question, I am always distracted while eating. Either TV or just mind thinking really fast , so my fast eating habits are always there and it’s not something I’ve been able to stop.

Ooooh ME likey! I love drop sets-type workouts. They are tough!

I don’t ever eat meals with distractions–b/c then I don’t feel as satisfied, and could eat beyond fullness. It’s hard sometimes, but the mind/body needs a few breaks throughout the day with no technology or screens staring back 😉 hah.

Ha! Reading this as I eat a very, very late breakfast, obviously, in front of my computer. I feel like I am constantly checking up on twitter, blogging, (brand new blog to get up and running) and reading blogs of amazing, inspiring people like yourself 😉
    ~Cat

that looks like an awesome workout! pinning it! i don’t like eating in front of the computer and/or tv and rarely do it. i find that i don’t enjoy my food as much when something else is distracting me. i’m kind of bad at multi tasking! haha.

I’ve noticed a big difference in how much I eat when I’m distracted by tv or my computer v. just eating. But I also think about food when I’m bored. I can breeze right through mealtime if my hands are busy or I’m studying. If I’m at work and am 15 minutes late to lunch, you better believe I’m giving the stink eye to someone!!

I have phases. Sometimes its breakfast in bed. Or while blogging/blog reading. Or TV. Rarely will I eat in pure quiet. Although, I do notice that the rest of my eating on the days bfast isn’t in front of the TV is WAY better. But sometimes, I just have to have a little Kelly Ripa in my morning.

18. Heather says

Love decreasing rep workouts! I go from 10 to 1 (but not nearly as many exercises are you). I tell ya, when you get to 6 reps, it feels like the worst is over!

That does look like a good workout! I eat breakfast in front of the computer – I know you’re “supposed” to eat distraction-free, but I actually eat a lot slower when reading blogs on the computer!

I almost always eat breakfast at my desk (and lunch, if I’m at home), in large part because we don’t have a dining room table anymore. Hopefully, we’ll be replacing the table soon! I look forward to being able to sit and mostly distraction-free; I enjoy my meals much more that way!

Thank you so much for sharing this, and giving suggestions on how to change it up to be able to do it at home!! I’m fairly new to the “workout world” and can’t always make it to the gym, so I love this!! You rock, Julie!!

I drink my protein shake breakfast in the car, eat lunch out distraction-free (most days), and usually eat dinner in front of the TV. I probably should eat distraction-free more because then I won’t be glued to the TV haha!

I did a workout like this recently too except mine was a countdown of sprints from 10 to 1 in between 55 reps of different strength and toning exercises….definitely nice being able to say every time though, “this is one less than last time”!!!!

I usually have breakfast and sometimes lunch while in front of the computer…dinner is usually either at the table or in front of the TV depending what time I actually sit down to eat :)

I am definitely guilty of eating in front of the computer or tv! I usually eat by myself since my husband works second shift & isn’t around during dinner time. I need some sort of background noise or something to occupy me… I’d feel so weird just sitting at my kitchen table eating in silence!

I love it! I am scheduled for a 30 min walk but I am feeling a circuit workout today. The simplicity of the circuit makes me very happy because we don’t have the income for a gym at the moment so I love the fact that I can do it at home.

I always eat with distractions but I fill myself up with something green first so I don’t end up over eating the heavier stuff.

Funny how you talk about eating at the computer… I just cleaned my lap top last night for the first time in a long time.. and I was incredibly embarrassed at how much much food was on my computer.

Love the workout! I’ll have to give it a try. I have to be doing something while I eat, if I’m alone and either eat in front of my computer or TV. I think it’s more of a habit than anything else. Have a great weekend!

I consider myself in good shape and that workout looks like it would kill me a little bit! Especially Annica’s extended workout. Jesus, that women is in good shape.

I’m so bad for doing that…literally 95% of my meals and snacks are in front of the tv or computer (or both!) Must.work.on.that.

Nice workout! Your scramble looks yummy too. :-) My husband and I almost always eat in front of the TV, and I notice that, on the rare occasion that we don’t, I get full so much faster! Oops…

I HAVE to try that workout! It looks like a doozey!!

And I eat breakfast and dinner in front of the tv. I really should stop eating dinner there, but after working all day, all I want to do is relax and that’s how I relax!

Almost everyday I eat breakfast in front of the computer. I also, check Facebook, emails, twitter etc at that time and then I get ready for work or the day. It’s usually dinner time that I’m not on some sort of electronic device!

How do you get the “pin it” button under your pics?

Thank you!

This is AWESOME. I wanted to get a quick workout in today before going out to dinner tonight for a friend’s birthday and now I’ll do this at home so I won’t have to worry about making the haul to the gym! :)

I always eat with at least one distraction. It reminds me to slow down and fully chew each bite. It has really helped with my digestion. And I pay attention to how hungry I am. I dish everything out, even if I’m having chips. I just eat what I’ve been served and don’t feel like I need to just keep eating because the bag is in front of me.

34. Kasey says

Omg I totally did your circuit this morning after my run!! It was amazing to be outside and strength train :). Also, I’ve been wanting to ask for awhile, what is your skincare routine? You have amazing skin!!

I love countdown workouts. I’m going to have to checkout her workouts now. I’ve posted a few 10 – 1 rep workouts before on my blog. They seem to go by way faster and don’t feel so overwhelming at the start of the workout because the most you do at one time in 10. They are so fun in an odd way. I definitely eat while distracted. I’m either watching TV or on my computer, then I get mad because my keyboard gets crumbs on it sometimes. Not good for the computer.

36. Bailey says

Julie,
    For the planks, is holding it for 30 seconds considered one rep? and you do that ten time before moving on to the next exercise? Or do you just do one plank and then move on?

I have been trying to eat mindfully and generally (now) always eat breakfast computer free. I try for lunch and snacks but it very rarely happens. Dinner is usually at the table nowadays but sometimes in front of the tv.

38. Hannah says

Thanks for the workout! I tried it out this morning and was a fan. This may be a stupid question but am I supposed to do ten, nine, eight sets of 30 second planks or just 30 seconds each round? I wasn’t sure

I try not to eat in front of the TV or computer. I used to all the time but lately I’ve been doing my best to avoid it so that I can not only enjoy my food more but realize when I’m full & eat less!

Wow! I just did the workout – with AC and a fan – and got just a sweaty as I did yesterday running 6 miles outside. Q: are you supposed to do 10, 9, 8, etc reps of the mountain climbers & jumping jacks? I did 30 seconds for each round b/c I’m not used to counting reps for these.

Artificial grass perth’s most significant benefit is probably in its
    time saving feature. It eliminates all the
    time necessary to plant new seed, fertilize, water,
    mow, trim and edge hoping of a good lawn. A artificial lawn will instantly provide you the planning that
    are required without hours of work each weekend. Would not you rather pay that time using
    your family instead? With artificial grass, your whole family might actually fancy the outside without being tired from yard work.

Your pets will relish it too. Any special deposits will be cleared up easily from your new synthetic yard.

Before you can begin the instillation process, there is some prep involved.

Involves properly determining your workspace to actually have adequate amounts of
    synthetic turf to cover your lawn area. It’s also vital that make sure you have cleared the space of any additional debris that could hinder certainly.

Growing interest in artificial turf items has boosted a brand new generation of synthetic grass that illegal copies the feel and of real lawn.

Now artificial turf is changing its grass counterpart in an
    incredibly rapid rate, because of factors benefits it provides.

Natural look of lifelike artificial grass is accomplished with
    talent full mixing of colours and cloth.. Completely different designs decision for various fiber lengths.
    One style features variable grade length to 35mm
    most; it always looks a freshly mowed and manicured lawn.
    It stands substantially as foot traffic and encompasses a seven
    year warranty.

Artificial Grass perth can be an important step towards living
    a more green life. It can prevent time, water and cash additionally to looking nice in any landscape design.
    This product makes it simple to have bright green grass all year long regardless
    of rainfall without spending hours upon hours watering, fertilizing,
    trimming and reseeding.

Since then synthetic sports turf fields are usually installed in newer baseball stadiums including Tropicana Field in E.
    Petersburg, Florida and the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
    Sports field turf for baseball has become such a growing trend
    that many acclaimed college and university teams have chosen to play their games on synthetic grass over natural grass.
    Some associated with institutions include Kent State University, Columbia
    University, Cornell, University of Texas and the University of Cincinnati to name a few.

Used equipment is often more affordable than new, and most
    used mowers and lawn tools have been reconditioned before they are sold, so they are usually great working order.
    Look for used equipment that is clean, their cutting edges should be recently sharpened, and basic maintenance such as tune ups should’ve also already
    have been made.