Burpee Sandwich Workout

Care to start the day with a burpee sandwich? burpees suck

No? I can’t say that I blame you, but if you are in the mood for a super fast and super sweaty workout, you might want to reconsider. (Women’s Health has a great picture tutorial of how to properly do a burpee if you’re unfamiliar with the exercise.)

I dubbed today’s workout a “burpee sandwich workout” because I sandwiched a bunch of burpees in between a five minute warm up and a five minute cool down.

My workout looked like this:

Burpee Sandwich Workout

Burpees are hard, but they sure do get my heart rate up fast. My face was bright red and sweaty by the end of that workout. I averaged 17 burpees for each 60-second interval, so that’s 85 burpees total. Phew!

After rounding out my time at the gym with an upper body strength workout, I was spent.

Breakfast this morning came in the form of my favorite egg sandwich.

egg bagel

With strawberry jelly and Swiss cheese for that sweet and salty combination I adore!

healthy egg sandwich breakfast

Time to be productive!

Comments

Burpees are a love/hate workout… I also love how they get my heart rate up fast and I’m always a hot mess afterwards. My gym has this workout called burp-o-rama, Its 20 minutes of 10 burpees on the minute. for 20 minutes! PHEW!

I hate burpees! GAH! So hard! The hardest burpee workout I ever did looked like this:

20 burpees
    1 jumping jack
    19 burpees
    2 jumping jackes
    18 burpees
    3 jumpking jacks

etc….all the way to 1 burpee and 20 jumping jacks.

RIDICULOUS!

I just did a workout with burpees yesterday for the first time in MONTHS and they are so terrible, but also amazing — the workout kicked my EVERYTHING and I was sweating like crazy, but after doing those (plus squats, mountain climbers, etc.), my run this morning wasn’t fun at all…just means I have to do them more often to get in better shape :)

That image (Burpees 0 people like this) is one of my favorites- it makes me giggle everytime I see it! I hate burpees which means they are good for me! It’s kinda twisted that I am looking forward to when I can do them again (I’m 24 weeks pregnant, maybe some would do a burpee preggers but I’m avoiding them).

Oooh the return of the burpee! One of those moves I just love to hate. Kudos for doing that workout! I’ve got a circuit planned for later this week that incorporates heaps of burpees and wouldn’t do them if I hadn’t already seen such great results. I think they’re one of the most effective moves you can do! Have a wonderful day Julie! :)

Burpees were a key part of crew practice when I was in college and we even had t-shirts that said I <3 Burpees. Fun fact: one of my teammates is rowing for USA in her first ever Olympics this year! Woohoo GO USA ROWING

I was introduced to Burpees when I did Insanity – there, they called them “Suicide Jumps,” very appropriately titled. I hate them. I got good at them, but I hate them, and I haven’t done them since I finished the 60-day Insanity Challenge. And I don’t miss them. :) I give you major props for this workout! Burpees are TOUGH!

• Jen says

How did you like Insanity? I am borrowing it from a friend to see if I like it before purchasing. I know it will be tough, but I am thinking of testing it out as my training for my next half marathon rather then running to train. Did you get great results? What kind of changes in your body and fitness did you notice after the 60 days?

Thanks!
      Jen :)

8. Casey says

That combo sounds good! I would not have thought to put jam on a savory sandwich, but oddly it sounds good! I love love your blog by the way! I read it every day and since I’m in maternity leave and spend many hours a day holding a sleeping baby with nothing to do but play on my phone, I’ve been reading back at lots of your old blogs. I LOVE all the simple healthy meal and snack ideas I’m getting! I had oatmeal with pumpkin and raspberries stirred in this morning and it was great! Thanks for the great ideas!

Wow that’s definitely a good idea for a workout. Burpees always kick my butt!
    I used to take a great plyometrics class that had lots of different exercises including hopscotch and jumping, some exercises with weights and always, always burpees! So tough.

I love the facebook like picture you’ve got going on there. No, no one likes burpees! I am digging your sandwich! I so want to try a breakfast sandwich with jam now.

Nice work, Julie! I did a great workout a few weeks ago by Zukzana (one of her youtube ZWOW workouts – #22 I think) that had you do 4 burpees on the minute in between all of these other workouts we were doing. So I think I ended up doing about 80 or so, but it was a sneaky way of getting in so many. Love the burpee burn! :)

12. Krystle says

I hate Burpees!! I never liked them and then when I competed in my first Spartan Race I really began to hate them! I wont tell you what my father calls them ( he is a retired GySgt in the Marine Corps, so that she be enough of a hint). :0)

13. Stephanie says

I remember when I was little, burpees were no biggie at all. It had been a while since I did them, and when I did, I died. Sooo unexpected! But you know what? I’m going to do this work out. NOW!