50 Minute Elliptical Interval Workout

What should’ve been a two hour drive back to Ocala from St. Pete last night ended up being a 3+ hour drive thanks to some serious storms and lots of traffic. It was an intense drive to say the least, but it was worth it and I slept like a log last night.

You’d think that after a good night’s sleep, I’d be ready for a kick-butt workout this morning, but my solid sleep seemed to have the opposite effect and I wandered into the gym in a daze.

The Best Body Boot Camp plan called for a 50-minute interval workout and I initially thought I’d complete the workout on the treadmill, but in my hazy state, I figured I’d take it easy and do lighter intervals on the elliptical.

What started out as a plan to “take it easy” quickly morphed into a rather challenging elliptical workout.

elliptical interval workout

The 2.5 minutes spent at level 14 were killer. I was pumping my arms just to get through it.

Since I know ellipticals vary a lot, if you’re interested in doing a similar workout, for the resistance 11 on the above workout, simply pick a resistance level that you can comfortably maintain and have a breathy conversation. You should be sweating, but not pushing yourself too hard. Increase the resistance two to three notches for the intervals where you see 13 and 14 noted in the above workout so you’re challenged.

Additional elliptical workouts:

Ryan joined me for a brief core circuit after this workout and our abs were  burnin’!

This morning I made a batch of cashew butter pancakes that totally hit the spot.

cashew butter pancakes 001

To make the pancakes, I followed the recipe for my gluten-free and Paleo-friendly almond butter pancakes, but simply substituted cashew butter for the almond butter.

cashew butter pancakes 003

cashew butter pancakes 009

Topped off with a bit of syrup!

I wish I had fresh berries on hand because I have a feeling they would add a lot to these pancakes. I had visions of blueberry cashew butter pancakes swimming around in my head. Next time!

Time to work on a new freelance assignment for a few hours before heading out on my first solo Meals On Wheels route. I hope it goes well!

Comments

Sorry to hear about that traffic Julie! I used to think ellipticals were ‘easy’ machines, but I’ve definitely humbled myself with some of the workouts I’ve done on them recently. Sounds like you had a great one!

2. Sue says

I love your workouts! I just ate a batch of your Almond Butter Pancakes (and threw a bunch of blueberries in–guess we both have fruit on the brain) and they were DELICIOUS!

Great workout…I love reading your blog because you always have such great ideas for foods and exercise. You and Courtney at sweettoothsweetlife inspired me to start my own blog! Check it out when you can :)

I love this workout!! I have an elliptical at home so that will make it easy. However, I get bored out of my MIND after more than 30 minutes on it so I may have to tailor it to fit into that time frame. I have a feeling it will still be an awesome workout!!

5. Emily says

Best of luck with your meals on wheels route today! Hopefully it will be less emotional than last week, but either way, it sounds like such a rewarding experience!

6. Caitlyn Seufert says

omg! where was this post two hours ago. Just got done a tough running interval outside even though i really wanted to try an elliptical interval. I just didnt know any good ones haha
    next time, definitely using this workout!
    whats your preference running or elliptical? Im looking more to gain muscle then loose any weight, so do you believe elliptical will work best??

I do that too! I head into the gym thinking it is going to an easy day just to loosen up my muscles. But once you get going and those endorphins start flowing some of the best unexpected workouts follow! I love it when that happens.

Mmm there’s nothing like some yummy pancakes for breakfast. It’s my friend’s birthday today so we’re taking her out for some delicious pancakes though I’m still deciding if I’m in more of a french toast mood. We’ll see when the time comes. 😉

I keep seeing all these recipes for protein pancakes and I keep meaning to try them, but I never seem to have the time in the mornings. Can the batter be made ahead of time?

I have a question regarding your circuit workouts! Do you always do them along with another form of cardio (elliptical/treadmill)? I did one of them the other day in my own living room so I didn’t have any equipment, but I still felt like I got a really good workout!

11. Cara says

This post was perfect!! I wanted to do a 45 min elliptical workout after my Body Rock circuit… EXCELLENT TIMING!!
    So glad I opened your page :)

Thanks hun.

I love intervals, fiercely. And, in an effort to eat more protein while tricking my sweet tooth, I made pancakes…cooked in cococute oil. Have you tried that before? I’m reading more and more about the benefits of it!

Ooohh!! I’ve never really spent more than 20 minutes on an elliptical machine before, but I might have to soon! Especially since there are days when I just don’t feel like hopping on the treadmill for a run!
    Thanks for the workout, Julie, and thanks for the almond butter pancake recipe too! I know some people who would really appreciate it! :)

14. Laura Katherine says

Looks delish! And that workout looks awesome! Definitely trying it out tomorrow.. what all do you do for ab circuits?

Yum cashew butter pancakes! I’ve tasted cashew butter (with more on the list) and I’d have to say it’s probably my least fav..but I’ve only tasted pb and almond butter. Not sure which is the fav there anymore! I’ve got some frozen blueberries if you want? Haha mum bought them and I love the convenience of having them there whenever to add to recipes or meals!

16. Tiffany Bush says

1. I love your blog! I love your style and your passion for life, fitness and health! 2. Thank you for being so open and honest about your life and I especially love that we are so much alike (except you are actually living your dream!) I am looking forward to the day that I will make the time and have the courage to pursue my PT license through ACSM and also start my own blog (thank you for your helpful tips!) 3. This workout KICKED MY BUTT last night! I was happy because I just downloaded Pink’s new CD, but other than that, I was dyin’! It reminded me of this super funny (but she uses some foul language) VLOG by Jenna Marbles called, ‘People That Piss Me Off at the Gym’ on Youtube. It’s so funny, and when you said you were stuggling on 14- trust me, so was I!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Julie and all PBFingers readers out there!