Triathlon Playlist

Even after eating scrambled eggs for breakfast, eggs were all I wanted at lunchtime today. Eggs are easily one of my favorite sources of protein because they taste great and are incredibly inexpensive. Double win!

I used two dippy eggs as “dressing” on a salad that was inspired by a salad I had a long time ago at Le Coq Au Vin in Orlando.

eggs on top of salad 001

As you can tell from the above picture, I had a bit of an issue when I tried to flip the eggs today and both ended up looking a little rough, but the taste was all there.

eggs on top of salad 005

I broke into the yolks (well, the one yolk that wasn’t already broken) and stirred everything up so the yolks could coat the salad.

eggs on top of salad 007

My goodness egg yolks make a fantastic dressing! I highly recommend giving it a go if you’re a fan of dippy eggs like I am.

In the salad:

• Spring mix
  • Two dippy eggs
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Green peppers
  • Roasted Brussels sprouts
  • Goat cheese

eggs on top of salad 010

I rounded out my meal with three dates that I ended up dipping in peanut butter.

eggs on top of salad 012

Yum!

Triathlon Playlist

Last Saturday morning, I created a playlist to help me power through my first indoor triathlon. I wanted a few upbeat songs to get me through the 15 minute bike and a 15 minute run portion of the race and ended up creating the following playlist:

triathlon playlist 2

Based on timing, this playlist could also easily work for a 5K!

As I was creating the above graphic this morning, I notice that, yet again, I created a workout playlist with ‘90s music. I can’t seem to help it!

In addition to featuring some ‘90s jams, this playlist also incorporates a lot of music from old BodyPump tracks that I loved when that wonderful class was still in my life before we moved out of Orlando.

Oh, and those shoes in the background of the image?

reebok 002

They are the new Reebok SmoothFlex Run in “Tin.” I immediately fell in love with the neon shoe laces and color combination when I opened up a box from the company last week.

reebok 003

I always love lots of color and “pop” in my gym shoes and these shoes have quickly become my go-to sneakers. They are incredibly comfortable and lightweight thanks to the mesh on the top of the shoe.

Back to the playlist talk!

Just in case you want to check out any of the songs from my playlist, I’ve listed them below and linked them up with a YouTube video that plays the song right away (no waiting for advertisements) if you’d like to give them a quick listen.

I love listening to a new playlist because it’s fun to see which songs immediately pump me up when they come on during my workout. “Poison” and “Scream” were my favorites from this playlist. There’s something about that Usher, baby. His music always seems to get to me in the middle of a workout and make me want to run faster!

I’ve also found myself surprised at some slower songs that have energized me in the past. Back in college, I couldn’t get enough of “Champagne High” by Sister Hazel. It’s quite an odd choice for a workout song, but I love it!

Question of the Afternoon

• What is an unexpected song that you love that always seems to pump you up?

This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I feel like I could run for days when I listen to “Crazy Beautiful” by Hanson, and that’s coming from someone who isn’t a crazy Hanson fan like my sister.

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

Slow Motion by Juvenile is one of my favorite “slower” songs that I love to run to….sometimes I’m so glad no one else can hear what’s playing on my ipod!

2. Rebecca says

Great timing! I’m doing a tri this weekend and keep trying to find good sing-along-in-my-head songs during the event. Call me maybe and party in the USA were definitely on my list. Ace of base has now been added. The cheesier the better!!

3. Laurie says

I’m trying to get out of my habit of eating a lot of bread at each and every meal. I don’t know why but for the last few months, I just have to eat bread with every meal. I think its maybe cause I used to deprive myself of it in past (?). I don’t know.

Can I ask how you made your salmon scramble in the morning? (how many eggs (yolks?) and how much sallmon, oil? etc?

I eat eggs every day (in a salad with a ton of oil and avocado), bread etc on the side.

4. Laura says

“Crazy Beautiful ” is one of faves. I never expected to see a Hanson mention on your site. It’s like my worlds collided. : )

5. Lauren says

Seeing your dates reminded me of one of my favorite snacks! Have you tried stuffing a date with a pecan? Oh my gosh soo good. It’s literally like a mini pecan pie. :) .

6. Katie A says

I also am a HUGE fan of eggs! I typically eat the whole thing (as in, not just whites), but I do wonder – how many eggs is too many? I know that there is quite a bit of cholesterol in the yolk so I don’t want to overdo it. Any insight you have would be awesome!

P.S. Egg yolks as “dressing” is going to be happening in my salads very soon.

7. Viv says

“Let’s Go” by Neo is my current ‘get pumped’ song. I only play it at the end of my runs because I made a pact with myself that whenever it came on (no matter how much I wanted to quit) I MUST run the entire song before ending. I imagine him as my personal coach shouting “let’s go” in my ear. And boy do I GO!

8. Laura@ Backstage Balance says

Rockapella’s “Carmen Sandiego?” Awesome!!! You just earned a few cool points in my book, Julie :)

Funny story, I once attended a radio station’s Holiday client party and proceeded to get kind of intoxicated. The radio station jock went on the stage and said that they had a big surprise for everyone… And guess which musical group came out to perform… Rockapella! I was beside myself, at the time it was the coolest possible thing (and most hilarious) that I could have imagined.

9. Kristin says

hey Julie!!!! I have a 40% off coupon for Reebok and totally want those shoes!!!! i normally wear a 7 in most shoes…do these shoes run about normal for sizing? Or do they run small like nikes?