Beat Boredom Interval Workout

Good morning! I hope your Tuesday is off to a good start. I’ve always felt like Tuesdays are the toughest day of the week because Mondays typically pass quickly since everyone is in catch up mode and then you’re just left with Tuesday. Whomp, whomp.

How’s that for a positive thought to start your day? Whoops!

Here’s something kind of cool for my fellow Bachelor/Bachelorette fans out there: Guess who did one of my workouts yesterday?

ashley spivey workout

Remember Ashley S. from Brad’s season? (She also has a blog!)

ashley spivey bachelorette

I’m not gonna lie, as a big fan of the Bachelor/Bachelorette, I was a little too giddy when blog reader Haley told me about her tweet.

Naturally I responded to her this morning in all my schoolgirl glory and now we’re best friends.

surely you jest

For those of you out there who hate reality television and could not care less, have no fear! I have a fun workout to share with you this morning to hopefully reel you back into my good graces. If you hate reality television and fitness I’m not sure I can win you over, but maybe my dog can with her bedroom eyes?

sleepy vizsla

Beat Boredom Interval Workout

Today’s Best Body Boot Camp workout called for a 50-minute interval workout that incorporated four challenging five-minute intervals. My mind was all over the place at the gym this morning, so I knew I couldn’t complete the workout on one cardio machine and created this interval workout that had me running all over the place:

beat boredom interval workout

The five minute circuit that you see in the middle of the workout that I did two times through was so hard! I rested for 15 seconds between each exercise of the mini-circuit and I was so, so sweaty by the time I was done. It was a tough one but challenging in a good way. Plus, running around the gym like a nut job made the time fly by.

Shield your eyes from the horror that is this breakfast.

pesto scrambled eggs 035

Taste-wise, it was fantastic, but appearance-wise it was a major fail.

pesto scrambled eggs 032

I made a batch of scrambled eggs with chopped zucchini and stirred in a few spoonfuls of my homemade sunflower seed pesto for some healthy fats and added flavor. It tasted great but looked awful. (I ate it out of Tupperware because I used the Tupperware to store the zucchini that I chopped up yesterday and didn’t want to dirty another dish. Efficiency!)

Time to get crackin’ on the day!

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you like reality television? If so, what is your favorite reality show?

Comments

Oh yes, I’m a huge Bachelor/Bachelorette junky. 😉 How awesome that Ashley did one of your workouts!

This interval workout looks like a fun one. I’m all about jumping from machine to machine at the gym. You’re right – it makes time flyyyy!

I love how you switched from the elliptical to the treadmill! Seems like a great way to keep a workout interesting, and along with all those intervals, 50 minutes of hard work will for sure fly by!

• says

good! still lots of studying! :) i was also locked out of their online elearning center, so i now have until february to take the test… not sure if that’s a good or bad thing! i’m trying to follow the study guides and absord everything so i feel prepared. i’m excited for you to start!

I am the furthest thing from a reality TV fan, although I have to admit I watched American Idol for a very very long time before deciding I’d had enough! This workout sounds great… lately I have been needing to change things up constantly in order to keep myself amused so this is perfect!

4. Lindsey says

Love interval training, especially when the time flies with so much variety. I’m not much into tv but do like to watch Gene Simmons Family Jewels. My husband always laughs because I’m not a crazy Kiss fan but love the show.

Happy Tuesday to ya

AHHH I want to do this workout, no treadmill or elliptical though.
    Yeah, uhm, wow, high five to you for doing that 5 min circuit twice. BURPEES FOR 1 MINUTE is never easy, never. So, virtual high five to Julie! Woo! You should try ZWow workouts! She’s beast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqWcz3KgxZI&feature=context-gfa (This one is my favorite) I did it on vacation and it was so convenient.

Personally, I think your breakfast looks appetizing. If you ever have some leftover sunflower seed pesto left, just mail it on over! LOL.

The Bachelorette is my only favorite reality tv show. I loved the last season with Emily and Jef. They’re so cute together!
    Have a good day!

6. Emily says

I’m not going to lie… I love Jersey Shore… it cracks me up!

I also love the Bachelor/ Bachelorette AND Real Housewives of Orange County. I’m terrible :) lol

That workout looks awesome! It is fun to be shouted out by someone “famous.” I am not much of a reality tv watcher but I am a sucker for any of Bethenny Frankels shows.

P.s. I finished Gone Girl last night, I wish we could talk about it! I was so mad with the ending though!

8. Dianna says

Yay! It’s exciting to be recognized for your work by someone that you like. Good for you.
    I was wondering if you have a blog list that you like to follow? I love your blog, but I find myself wanting to read more. I searched through your site and while I found lots of great ideas, no blog roll.
    I always read while I eat breakfast after I get off work (nights 7p-7:30a) and it helps me wind down. Thanks if you can point me in the right direction.

Unless the place is busy and I can people watch (creepy I’m sure) I get bored at the gym super easily! will have to try this workout!
    I’m not much of a fan of reality tv, but I will confess to watching Jon & Kate Plus 8 back in the day and The Duggers show…something about those crazy families always had me interested!

10. QueenofFitness says

julie, this workout looks AWESOME! i just did one of your 50 minute elliptical interval workouts (the one you recently posted a week ago) yesterday morning for a change of pace. the treadmill and i are aren’t too simpatico these days. i had planned to complete your other 50m ellip workout with the different cross ramps but my Y got new ellipticals a year ago and i tend to always use the treadmill so i had no idea how to change the crossramp & couldn’t find a button on the machine. in an effort to not waste time i opted for the former. it was killer. i only completed 40 minutes (the ellipticals are the most used cardio equip at the Y and it was a busy morning) had to dial down sections of the resistances and instead dialed up my strides per minute.
    i watch 3 reality shows…biggest loser (i love all the fitness related content and i steal some of their moves), project runway, and my husband and i (we are 33 & 34) can’t get enough of teen mom!! it is our guilty pleasure. caitlyn and tyler really tug at my heart strings.

I’m a big Bachelor/Bachelorette (and Bachelor Pad…ugh, it’s SO horrible) fan too. I actually didn’t start watching it until about halfway through Jake’s season, because I kept seeing my friends comment about how nuts the girls were on Facebook.
    Yeah. I’ll be checking out Ashley’s blog…

Thanks for posting!! I love that workout!! I’m horrible at trying to do cardio in the gym, I typically stick to running outside- for that reason, I get so bored!!!

In regards to reality television, when I finally realized I was too old to still be watching MTV’s The Real World, that was also the end of my reality TV days.

OMG I would freak out if someone from the bachelor tweeted me! Ah! One time on the subway I was sitting across from Ames from Ashley’s season…I was a complete creep and tried to take a picture (as proof to my friends), but then I got caught so ended up just talking to him. I can’t imagine what I would do if I sat next to a “real” movie star. Thanks for the workout! Love it!

I love Ashley! Her Bachelor/Bachelorette recaps are absolutely hilarious, especially the captioned pictures. I started watching it a few seasons back with some girlfriends and got totally hooked :) also love cooking competition shows like MasterChef and Top Chef, and those I can get my husband to watch with me :)

I’m trying not to jump on the Bachelor/ette train because I’ve heard it’s addicting. Except, the E! channel gets me, and it’s all so bad. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

16. Angela says

That is so awesome!!!! I used to watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette series but I just had to stop because they are so time consuming. If I had to pick one to watch, it would be Big Brother, just good ole’ stupid fun.

Side note: I did one of your 20 minute elliptical workouts last night and thought I was going to die, mainly because the day before I was going uphill in our yard with a push lawn mower. LOL.

Have a great day!

17. Julia says

I did an interval workout this morning! Then, for breakfast, i had overnight oats for the very first time!! I read about them on here, and have been wanting to try them, but kept forgetting to prepare them the night before. I made them with oats, vanilla soy milk, trader joes almond butter, honey, and granola. SO GOOD. I owe you for introducing me to this wonderful new breakfast.

That is so cool!!! I love the bachelor and bachelorette! I love reality TV but not shows like Jersey Shore and Teen Mom, more TLC type shows like My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, American Pickers, or Food Network challenges like Cupcake Wars or Food Network Star

19. Alexandra says

I LOVE ME SOME KARDASHIANS! :) So you are bestfriends with a reality star too? Me and Kimmy are besties as well. We are always tweeting back and forth. No biggie. lol

I seriously could not agree more about Tuesdays. I am super productive on Mondays and I am strugs on Tuesdays. I was just thinking what I was going to do for my workout and you solved that very critical dilemma. Much thanks! Here’s to a superb Tuesday and congrats on the tweet love!

Great interval workout! I love mixing things up and I look forward to your posts everyday!
    Question about this workout and the 50-minute elliptical work out that you posted last week: When you put down resistance levels (today was 11, 13, & 14, which was similar to last week’s work out), what does your machine go to? 1-15/1-20? I use a variety of ellipticals, including the Cybex arc trainer, which goes from 0-100. I’d love to know what a level 11 means… I’m guessing like 75% effort, with level 14 closer to 90%? Hopefully I’m close!

22. Brooke says

I just did this workout today and loved it! The five minute circuit in the middle was a challenge, but finishing it made me feel powerful! I looked so ridiculous running around in the little cardio room that a trainer stopped and asked me what I was training for and I simply just said, “Life.” He really liked that answer, and so did I! Always training hard to be the best me I can be :)

23. Whitney Y. says

I tried this Beat Boredom Interval Workout today after I read your blog this morning and it was AWESOME!!! Thanks soo much for sharing it, I loved it!!

24. Katie says

Wow what an awesome workout. Since I did this at work on my lunch break and now I am completely exhausted…do I get to collect worker’s comp :-) ?

Do you watch Bachelor Pad at all? I started watching this season and there is SO MUCH DRAMA. Which is likely why I watch it. Reminds me that my life really isn’t all that crazy.

26. Aleahbug says

Do I like reality TV…is the sky blue?! Most definetly! hehe. I will say I don’t watch as much TV as I use to during the week. I tape a lot of shows but then get to catch up normally Sundays. I love most of the Housewives seasons, on Bravo TV. I also love to watch weight loss shows, such as Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. Great trainer! There are so many shows but I’ll just keep it short. : )

27. Debbie says

There are so many funny lil things in post! Loving it. Julie, your blog is a pleasure to read, as always. It is truly such a good way to start the day! :)

I absolutely love reality TV! My biggest guilty confession is Keeping Up With the Kardashians. My boyfriend and I keep up to date with everything 😉 Soo embarrassing but soooo good!

That’s so exciting that Ashley S. did your workout!! I had a layover at the Denver, CO airport this past Thursday when my family and I were traveling back from vacation, and we had some time to kill so we were walking around the airport, and I thought I saw someone who looked really familiar. The second time I passed him, I was sure – it was Arie from this past season of The Bachelorette! I was too timid to say anything to him, but now I kind of wish I had said hi and asked for a picture with him… oh well, it was still neat to see him :)

What i do not understood is in fact how you are not really a lot more
    well-appreciated than you might be now. You are very intelligent.
    You realize thus significantly in the case of this matter, made me for my part consider it from so many varied
    angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it is
    something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding.
    At all times take care of it up!