Cardio and Abs Circuit Workout

I know it might sound strange, but I really, really like creating new circuit workouts. I find it oddly enjoyable to assemble a challenging workout with lots of different exercises. I know most circuit workouts will fly by since each exercise is only done for a short amount of time before it’s onto the next!

Today’s circuit workout was no different. It passed by in a flash!

I created a circuit workout that is awfully similar to my Jumping Jacks Circuit Workout, but the exercises in this workout were primarily cardio and core exercises with 60 seconds of jumping jacks thrown in between.

cardio and abs workout

I’m also having a field day creating workout images in PicMonkey lately if you haven’t noticed. I told you it’s one of my favorite blogging tools!

For my at home workout fans, the above workout can easily be done in your living room! No equipment is needed except for an exercise ball for one of the exercises, but you can simply do the crunches without the exercise ball to make it work for you.

Breakfast this morning started with a banana that I grabbed immediately when I walked through the door.

peeled banana

I also made myself a bowl of scrambled eggs with mozzarella cheese, onion, red pepper and zucchini.

scrambled eggs 014scrambled eggs 015

Delicious!

Time to dive into a new freelance piece before our landlord swings by the apartment for a walk through around 11 a.m. We’re staying put in our house for another year and he wants to make sure everything checks out before we sign the lease again. Can’t wait to show him the dishwasher that cleans one out of every 20 dishes!

Question of the Morning

• If you currently rent an apartment or house or rented in the past, do you have any crazy landlord stories to share?

My first landlord in Orlando was a dream. I loved her. When Ryan and I moved into our first apartment together, our landlords were a treat and, as we found out after we moved in, had a habit of taking tenants to court over ridiculously mundane things. The landlord at our third Orlando apartment was really nice and laid back… but then we had the whole mouse in the house issue, so that was fantastic.

Comments

Oh, my lord. Landlord stories. I have enough to fill a month’s worth of blog posts–and I’ve only had this landlord for one year. They range from the mysterious odor that lurks outside her apartment, to the fact that it took us five months to get a window fixed (that was supposed to be mended before we moved in), to unwelcome…visitors. Sigh. I can’t wait to not be a renter anymore!

I’m almost out of law school, and I’m currently working for a firm where we do a few landlord tenant things, and I must say that I will NEVER taking renting lightly again. Landlord-tenant court is a pain in the butt, and a bad landlord can make your renting experience a living hell. When my husband and I moved, I looked up the new apartment owners in the local court docket to make sure they weren’t too litigious! Thankfully, we’ve only had good experiences so far. But I’m taking no chances!!

• says

Yeah, the worst part is when tenants don’t realize that they have rights too in all of this. The law generally favors tenants anyway! Court is a pain, but it’s much better than dealing with sub-par living arrangements for months on end. Sounds like you made it out unscathed thankfully!

OMG! We found a mouse in our brand new house last night…..that ran into our BRAND NEW BABIES room! Thank God baby doesn’t live in there yet unless I would have been a mess! How did you guys rid the mouse of the house issue!?!?!?

• says

we moved. the issue popped up at the end of our lease, thankfully, because there was an infestation. it was out of control. :( they set up traps (which i couldn’t STAND) to start and i’m not sure what they did once we moved out. all i can say is once you hear/see anything, call someone RIGHT away to get it treated. good luck to you!!!

• says

thank GOd we have amazing landlords. They are sending someone today and my hubs just saw one last night! It is a historically preserved house which means it is raised off the ground by stilts not concrete…sooooo I fear what lives underneath but feel positive they will get it taken care of! Thanks! have a great day!

• says

We found two mice in our apartment right after we moved in too. It was horrible. I hate mice. I called an exterminator right away (the landlord didn’t move fast enough) and he came out and did an assessment to see whether we had an infestation or just a few critters running around. Luckily, it appeared we only had two so we caught them (with those horrible sticky traps – they just pooped next to the other traps) and we haven’t seen any since. He had a whole plan for if there was an infestation. I found him on Angie’s list and would highly recommend using a service like that – he was great and didn’t even charge for the consultation. You want someone who knows his stuff – especially if you have a baby. I didn’t want any harsh chemicals around the house and he was fine with that. Good luck!

I am having fun with Pic Monkey too. I boycotted it for a while because I was so mad that Picnik went away, but I finally caved! Now instead of it taking me 15 minutes to write my blog, it takes me an hour! Thanks Pic Monkey!

Does anyone ever make circuit workout recordings? I feel like I often want to do a circuit workout but then I don’t want to have to mess with remembering the moves or reading them on a sheet of paper. Maybe if someone was cueing me every minute I’d do it!

• Christine says

I use an app in my iPhone called Seconds Free, I type in the names of the exercises, the time, and the rest times, and it announces them to me, it even counts down, which is awesome when I am at the end of a Tabata interval!

I love all of your workouts you share! Luckily my boyfriend’s dad is our landlord and rather accommodating! My parent’s recently found out they had mice in their basement when the cats kept bringing them upstairs, a few dead and a few still alive!!!

7. Courtney says

I fortunately don’t have many terrible landlord stories, but the landlord for the first apartment my husband and I moved into required that we show up on Day 1 of our lease with 365 garbage bags. One for every day of the year.

Oh my…. I don’t rent any more but one of my roommates and I had to rent a place once while we were on work placements, and we lived with our landlord. Let’s just say it was quite an adventure, and that she was a BIG cat person (and that would be an understatement). We were given very precise instructions on how to pet, feed, lift, and carry the cat while she went away on holiday for a few days. Sadly, I can’t say I’m big on cats so most of the responsibilities were left to my roommate!

Does the landlord hitting on my boyfriend count as crazy? She literally would text him at the most inappropriate times about things totally un-apartment related. Oh, and we signed the lease together, so she definitely knew I existed. He ended up asking her to stop, so whenever we see each other now it’s a little awkward, but moreso for her than me.

Also, you are going to be an AMAZING trainer! I literally spend all of my free time at work in between clients creating workouts, and I definitely get a lot of inspiration from you and other bloggers!

I don’t have a crazy landlord, but the building I was living in my senior year of college (technically a dorm, but owned by an external company) had a maintenance guy who I refused to be alone with. He was always nice to me, but something about him gave me the heebee jeebies.

Cut to a year after graduation, hanging out with some friends who were still living there, and they told me he’d been fired because he’d use his key to go into girls rooms and WATCH THEM SLEEP! I’m trying to convince myself that the few times I heard a door open/close in my sleep was just my neighbors and no one was in MY room, but he seemed to like me, and was a jackass to my suitemate, so it’s anyone’s guess. *shudders*

HAH do I ever have crazy landlord stories! When I was at university & living with five girlfriends, we had a craycray landlord who would just pop over whenever she felt like it. She also would sometimes put on a full safari-looking suit (with mosquito netting covering her face & everything!) and go to work in the garden, completely unannounced. We also had issues with mice & she thought it was our own problem and didn’t do anything to help out! She was also a really slow talker, which is slightly irritating.

12. Lindsay says

I love your circuit workouts! They’re the first thing I go to when I find myself in a hotel gym while traveling. Keep ’em coming!

thanks for the awesome circuit workout, julie! i have kind of a dumb question – how do you time yourself for each part of the circuit? do you use a stopwatch or do the workout in front of a clock? i always have trouble keeping time and find that counting in my head does not work – i just count really fast! thanks :)

I’ve never rented but my fiance lives in an apartment and thankfully his landlords are nice. They really like him and he decorates well so they use his apartment as the one they show prospective tennants and he gets a break on rent every month! Score!

My biggest issue with landlords is the lack of enforcing the leash law! I’ve been at my current townhouse for two years and I can’t even count the number of times my girls and I have encountered loose dogs. The owners will be twenty plus feet away, smoking a cigarette and waving, while I’m yelling that my dogs are aggressive (the little one is, and the big one isn’t, but why give that away?). I want a house. :(

Oh, dear. Landlords can be quite something. In my last apartment, I had an outlet that I coudn’t use because it SPARKED. Hello, fire hazard. I told him the week I moved in. He never fixed it. I lived there for a year!

17. Krista says

I lived in apartments during college and then for 9 months once I graduated, so never had issues with the people who ran the apts. Then I bought a house and realized over the years that when something breaks it can be $$ to replace! But still way better than renting anyday.

18. Michelle says

When I first moved to Philadelphia I had to find a place to live in less than a week for a new job. I found a house shared by five students and young professionals. The women who owned the place also lived there, but she was about the same age as the rest of us. When I moved in I was shocked to find that she often walked around stark naked! When my lease was over she tried to convince me that she had the right to my security deposit for the “inconvenience of finding another tenant.” It was a mess.

19. Christine says

My property manager doesn’t feel the same sense of urgency that I do about the septic tank overflowing right outside my bedroom every time I do laundry or take a shower. Or flush the toilet. It’s been a month … and TS Isaac just passed near me so it rained all day yesterday.

20. Katie A says

My friend had, hands down, the craziest landlord experience of anyone I’ve known. He wrote a hysterical blog about it (http://strangerthaneviction.tumblr.com/) and was even approached by Judge Judy and some others to come on their show (shockingly, the landlord wanted none of that).

I swear I would think he were making it up if it weren’t for the hard evidence he includes!!

We lived in the most ghetto little apartment ever when we first got married. It had to have been built in the 30’s or 40’s and all 600 square feet were just… full. Some of our horror stories include: having our walls graffitied, an ant infestation, rain dripping through the swamp cooler into the middle of our dining room, dead stinky cactuses outside our windows, and much much more. AND, there was this creepy crawl space under the apt that I really feel a few hobos inhabited. That or a bear. It was such a stressful place to live!

22. Christa says

Landlord? What landlord?! I haven’t physically seen mine in 3.5 years!! No joke! I could be running a brothel out of my place and no one would be the wiser. lol! I know she’s alive though cause she cashes my checks each month! The other sucky part is I have a crazy neighbor who verbally abuses her little boy AND ME! She also steals my mail which is such a treat. Gosh I love this place! Sad part is the post office, and my landlord, and the cops won’t do a thing… People tell me to move but I’m stubborn – she should be the one to move! 😛

23. Erin says

In the apt I lived in a few years ago, I went without hot water for 3 weeks because my landlord didn’t want to pay the money to replace the water heater. Taking a shower was absolutely miserable. When my landlord finally came over to check out the heater, turns out all he had to do was flip some switch that had been turned off. I was furious to say the least.

I’m going to be posting a circuit workout that I made up on my blog later on today — I am going to credit you as my inspiration. I’ve been using your circuits for so long, you definitely convinced me that I was able to make up my own. It may look similar to yours, and I hope you don’t mind. I sincerely hope it’s considered as flattery and not copying too closely!! :)
    That being said, I’m going to have to give your new circuit a go in the coming days — looks like a good one!!

Thankfully, I can say I have had no landlord horror stories!! We bought our first house pretty young though so basically, we have always been our own!!

I love Pic Monkey, too but hate that I can’t use it when I am on my Mac. I wish they would make it compatible!!

26. Michelle says

Hypnotherapy does wonders for all types of fears. You can go online and buy hypnotherapy CDs or audio files specifically for the fear of flying, or you can get ones for relaxation. When the time comes to fly, all the subconscious programming to relax really, really helps!

My best landlord story…two of my girlfriends and I moved into a house together during the college. The landlord (a thirty-something single male) would “swing by” all the time to say hello or sometimes bring his friends by to meet us. Then he started dating someone, turned the garage into a side apartment and moved in to our garage. Let’s just say things got really, really loud…ugh!

In the city I went to college, a lot of the landlords nearby campus are really much more like slumlords. We had one apartment where pigeons burrowed into our ceiling and broke through the plaster of our ceiling with their nest. The landlord boarded up the ceiling but never actually exterminated the pigeon…disaster…

oh gosh, in charleston I had HORRIBLE landlords! One guy owned a ton of houses and just didn’t care much, and the other was an old lady who lived next door and was such a grouch! Now I live in a bigger apartment building that is managed by a company but we have an AWESOME maintenance man who lives in the building. I’ve never had such a nice person willing to help and fix things in my apartment!

This is the first time I’ve rented from a landlord and not an apartment complex. I would say the worst thing is that they are not quite as responsive. When I moved in there were still dirty dishes in the sink and the oven was filthy. Plus, things aren’t in the best condition – a fan doesn’t work, a few sockets don’t work, the bathtub has a crack or two or three, the toilet leaks, the medicine cabinets weren’t cleaned out, etc. It’s hard because we rent from my sister’s in-laws so there is kind of a family connection and they aren’t great landlords. It’s really annoying and after two months of living here they still haven’t fixed any of the above things. It makes it hard because I don’t want to complain too much (since they are practically family) but then again, I am paying rent and would really like them to get their act together. Ugh. The first day we moved in my friend was using the bathroom and the exhaust fan cover fell on her head. It had been duck-taped to the ceiling!

31. chelsea says

my dishwasher is the same way! everything comes out dirty!! I told my landlord and he sent someone to look at it and the guy just said “Rinse your dishes first” UM hello i do!!! They come out dirtier than they went in!!

the last house i lived in was infested with rats, which was awful and they would run around and nest in my roommate’s things at night. so gross. it got even worse when one died in the wall and the house was uninhabitable for months. our landlord didn’t do anything about it. it was the worst situation. yuck!

33. Dani says

How do you time your intervals when doing circuit workouts? Do you just use a watch or look at the clock on the wall at the gym? I have been trying to find a good way to time it!

34. Tracy says

Then there are the situations when you are the landlord and have awful tenants! A month after our tenants moved in the wife mailed us a letter saying she was moving out because her ex-Army husband threatened her with a gun and oh – she wanted off the lease. We had to literally come after him EVERY month for the rent, he ruined the house, had 2 dogs when he wasn’t supposed to have any…what else? Stole things from the house and didn’t pay the last month’s rent and cost us thousands of dollars (on top of the substantial amount we were losing b/c of the drop in Florida real estate) when we were finally able to sell the house. Not such a treat to be the landord either!

35. Sara says

No landlord story but I do have a circuit workout story for ya! I was doing the “no equipment needed” circuit last night. I am by no means in shape but I was an athlete in high school and college and after having my 2 boys I need to get back in shape to keep up. They are almost 2 and almost 5 :) They were doing the stuff with me (on their own, I am not a slave driver) When we got to mountain climbers my almost 5 year old says “ugh! Mountain Climbers hate me!!” it was so funny :) I got the added ab workout from the laughing at him and all I could say was “me too buddy, me too.”

This isn’t a landlord story or really my story, but I heard it yesterday so I thought I would share.

My co-worker was sleeping in the middle of the night and woke up to hearing a cracking noise. She saw a black hole in hear ceiling and started to just push her husband next to her in bed. Her husband woke up and pulled her quickly out of the way. And then her ceiling COLLAPSED! On top of that, there was a raccoon hanging by its front paws into the bedroom. Thankfully, the raccoon pulled itself up and left the scene. But how crazy is that!? To have your ceiling collapse in the middle of the night!?!?