Jump Rope + Lower Body Circuit Workout

Last Saturday when I featured a picture of Ryan tackling a ridiculously high box jump on the blog, I had a bunch of requests to post a video of him in action.

box-jumps-005

Ask and you shall receive!

Today I made sure to bring my camera to the gym and told Ryan to get psyched because I needed to capture one of his box jumps on video to share with you guys.

box jumps 002

Heeere ya go!

Ryan’s Box Jump

(Click here to see the video on YouTube if the imbedded video isn’t working for you.)

Every time I see him do one of those box jumps, I hold my breath and get awfully nervous. The boxes are sturdy, but I freak out about jumping onto a box that comes up to my knees. Ryan swears that jumping that high is 99 percent mental and I am 99 percent mentally convinced it’s impossible for me.

Though box jumps didn’t make it into my workout today, I managed to complete a pretty stellar circuit workout that focused on lower body exercises with lots of jump roping thrown into the mix.

jump rope lower body circuit workout

All the jump ropin’ kept my heart rate up and I enjoyed the mix of cardio and leg exercises. Though you can definitely do this circuit without any weights, I used the following weights for the first three exercises:

• Squats: 95 lbs.
  • Stationary Lunges: 40 lb. bar
  • Bridges: 25 lbs.

It was a good one!

On our way home, Ryan once again wanted his favorite hot cakes from McDonald’s, so I got an iced coffee to sip on as I prepared my morning meal.

mcdonald's iced coffeeI copied last Saturday’s breakfast and made a batch of Paleo oatmeal (adding an extra egg white and another half of a banana to Joelle’s recipe) and ate it along with a cup of key lime pie Greek yogurt.

box jumps 009

I hope your Saturday is off to a fantastic start!

Comments

Showed my husband the pict from last week, and he was talking about it, now he just watched the video and believes! Lol, though I think you might make me hold my breath because Dan will practice until he can get that high. lol. Great job Ryan!

2. Jessica P says

That is awesome!! Btw, I’ve been following you for a while but never watched one of your videos. Your voice is so different than I imagined lol! Not bad, just not what I thought you’d sound like! Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Box jumps are SO mental. I once had a trainer tell me that when he has someone who is afraid of box jumps, he first has them step up on the box and jump down. He says our brains fear falling down not jumping up, so by having them jump down first they feel more at ease. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Wow, that’s crazy! How awesome!

Random Question – do you get anything added in your iced coffee when you order? Or do you just add stuff when you get home? I’ve ordered a iced vanilla coffee from McD’s before but it ended up being wayy too sweet, I felt like I was drinking syrup. ick! haha

yea I’m pretty sure it’s impossible for me too hahaha especially since those boxes are probably taller than me haha that workout looks great! I think I”ll give it a try :)

6. Stacy says

I added box jumps to my workout a few months ago. He’s right.. It’s ALL mental. I went to the high box recently, and had my friend hold my hand at first to see if I could make it. Have Ryan do the same to you on a Medium box.. I promise, you could do it. I’m 5’6 and I think you said you were taller, so you could DEF do it!

7. Arelis says

WOW!! Bryan is good!!! :) nicely done!! mine are the babies of that jump!! hahahaha….and just so you know, sorry you didn’t go to your friend’s bachelorette party! bummer! and I was soooo happy to know you would land in Tx probably for a few hours! Since I live in Dallas, I would’ve loved to meet you guys and have the chance to grab a bite with you if possible!!..Great weekend and good workout BTW!! :)

Woo! Go Ryan! Watching him do that, I get the 99% mental thing, because if you don’t think you can do it, your body will probably follow suit. That’s pretty awesome, though. I’d love to be able to do super high jumps!

9. Caitlin says

Oh man, I love the Dannon Key Lime greek yogurt. All I need is a graham cracker and I feel like I’m seriously eating pie. Delicious.

10. Hojo says

Crazy jumping skills! 😀

As for jump rope circuts-I always complain and everyone makes fun of me. I have NO coordination when it comes to jump rope. 😛

11. Nancy says

Moses that’s a pretty Hugh box jump. We did our “max” height wise for box jumps LAST summer at CrossFit, he would’ve owned it!!! Hahaha

12. Kelsey says

Hmm… if it’s mental then I’m REALLY limiting myself I guess haha. I’m athletic, but I can’t/don’t jump worth crap. I remember spending an entire track practice (and then some) just trying to make it to the pit in long jump. For that whole season my “Word of the Day” was “Scraaattccchhh!!” Mental or not, those box jumps are serious accomplishments in my book!

13. Peaches says

Your voice is totally not what I expected but I love it! It reminds me of elementary school teachers (encouraging and heartwarming). luvvvvvv!

14. @pluvk says

Wow. Just… Wow. I thought you were kidding when you posted that picture! I thought maybe he had climbed up there. That’s incredible! And a little scary!
    :-)

Thanks for another circuit workout, Julie! I’m really enjoying all the new ones you keep giving us! I’m always on the look out for ones that combine cardio with sculpt. I prefer sculpting workouts, but I love getting the heart rate up, too!

• D says

Seriously, I can’t believe only ONE person has commented this! This is NOT safe. The top box clearly MOVES when he lands on it. I think it is irresponsible to show this on your blog and act like it’s a great/impressive thing. What if that top box were to slide right off? If Ryan didn’t make it all the way to the top and his feet caught the top box, he could end up severly injured. Has that not occurred to you? It’s not about pushing past mental fear or whatever…that is just a blatantly unsafe thing to do.

15. Laura Gallegly says

I was impressed by that jump! I showed my husband, and now he is determined to beat it…he would like to know how high it is so he can get his own private little competition started!