Michel’s Oahu

Our dinner last night was fantastic, but somehow we had a feeling it would be going into the evening.

waikiki date night

My father-in-law’s girlfriend used to live in Oahu and he has visited the island with her many times. He told us we must visit Michel’s, a romantic waterfront restaurant located just outside of Waikiki, during our visit to Hawaii.

We made early reservations for last night and upon entering the restaurant, we were absolutely blown away.

michel's hawaii

michel's oahu

michel's view

Talk about a view!

koko head crater hike 006

koko head crater hike 007

As we were seated, our waiter greeted us and we liked him immediately. He was so personable and welcoming and talked about the food we were about to enjoy in a way that made our mouths water. We dug into the bread basket that was served with the most incredible honey and macadamia nut butter while waiting for our drinks.

bread at michel's

That butter didn’t last long and our waiter was kind enough to notice us getting low and brought out some more.

Our main meal began with an amuse-bouche from the chef, which included steak in a cabernet sauce with purple sweet potato and the most succulent fig I’ve ever had in my life.

michel's appetizer

As big-time tuna lovers, Ryan and I ordered the tuna tartare appetizer with wonton chips to share, which was a great decision.

michel's tuna tartare

The bites that included the roasted red pepper aioli were my favorite.

For my entrée, I ordered the island seafood cioppino that included island onaga, Pacific salmon, Maine lobster, diver scallop, squid, prawns, clams, mussels, potatoes and zucchini in an Italian-style rich tomato broth, served with garlic bread.

The seafood came out in a bowl and the chef poured the rich tomato broth over everything at our table, which made the dish feel extra special.

michel's cioppino

cioppino at michel's

koko head crater hike 020

This seafood lovin’ girl was in heaven! I ate everything but the shells and used the garlic bread to soak up the remaining broth.

I must also mention Ryan’s dinner selection because we both thought it was incredible.

onaga

Ryan ordered Michel’s steamed onaga (red snapper), topped with ginger, garlic, green onion, Chinese back turnip and served with somen noodles and stir-fried mushrooms. His dish was highly recommended by our waiter and was so full of flavor.

Just as Ryan and I were about to discuss dessert, our waiter came over to our table with quite the surprise.

michels crepe suzette

My father-in-law called the restaurant ahead of time and pre-ordered dessert for us which was such a special treat! He selected the crepes Suzette for us to try and we had a great time watching our waiter prepare a special sauce with butter, sugar and orange liqueur.

koko head crater hike 024

Ryan and I were each given our own plate with three crepes and a scoop of vanilla gelato.

crepes suzette michels

Perfect. As someone who usually opts for chocolate-based desserts, I couldn’t get over how much I loved the orange sauce, creamy gelato and homemade crepes. It was incredible and I only left half of a crepe behind. Thank you so much to my thoughtful father-in-law for such a fun and delicious surprise!

view at michel's sun

P.S. The Fashion page was updated! I’ll  also try to snap a picture of the back of my cut out dress from Monday night soon since I received requests to see the back from quite a few of you. I’m on it!

Comments

Very pretty dress lady! Those crepes look fantastic…I’d probably never order them for dessert just because I associated them with breakfast….best ones ever were in France!

That place looks gorgeous!…and how sweet Of your father in law to think of that surprise! :) glad you had a great meal and date with your hubby…looks like this vaca will certainly be remembered in the years to come!

3. Erin M. says

I went to that restaurant with my boyfriend in January 2011 and had the seafood chioppino too!! SOoooooo good! Glad you’re having fun! All of your pictures are bringing back so many great memories!

That’s such a nice surprise! I love when stuff like that happens! And it’s so much more fun to watch someone prepare something at your table (it’s why I always got the chips and guacamole at Chevy’s Tex-Mex when I went to college. :-D )

Aw, that’s so thoughtful of your father-in-law. I think I’d love that restaurant based on the location alone. I can’t get enough of those views! Wow. That dessert looks incredible to me, too…I’m a big crepe fan!

My husband and I have talked about vacationing in Hawaii and were tossing around a full out Hawaiian vacation or taking a Hawaiian cruise. You are starting to convince me that we need a full blown week just to enjoy everything right on the island!!

You look so beautiful in that dress Julie! Love the look on you :) And wowww…..each picture of the dishes gets better and better haha! I couldn’t choose my favorite probably. And that orange liqueur sauce sounds so tasty.

The people in hawaii are what I miss the most! They are so kind, laid back, and fun to be around! They always look like they enjoy what they do. Oh, and I don’t think there was one single food/dish that I didn’t like when I was there.

8. Nicole says

You and Ryan are adorable! You also look so pretty in all your new dresses. I would LOVE to go to Hawaii. Reading your posts everyday are making me so happy and I’m pretending I’m not at work while I’m reading them haha

That sweet treat (crepes) was made even sweeter by your father-in-law! Such a thoughtful thing to do for someone!

The whole meal looked fantastic! And that amuse-bouche was huge! I thought those were usually little one or two bite things?

10. Zulema says

Love it ! Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us. I love your blog and have followed many of your workouts. They are def a challenge ! Hope you enjoy your trip to the fullest and I bet it makes it extra special to have your hubby with you :) !