Total Body Circuit Workout

After yesterday’s less-than-stellar workout, I was ready for a good sweat at the gym today.

I began my workout with 20 minutes on the elliptical before hopping off and tackling a total body circuit workout that looked like this:

total body circuit workout

I really, really liked this workout. I jumped from exercise to exercise with minimal rest which made the circuit fly by and had me sweatin’!

Here are a few links to demos of some of the exercises:

Breakfast this morning came in the form of Joelle’s Paleo oatmeal.

paleo oatmeal

Once again I added an extra egg white to the recipe and used a whole banana.

I also used chia seeds instead of flax seeds, which changed the texture a bit, and not necessarily for the better. I ran out of ground flaxseeds yesterday, so I subbed the chia seeds this morning and they were only okay. I definitely prefer the flaxseeds.

As if those changes to her recipe weren’t enough, I also added some steel cut oats which increased the cooking time, but tasted great. I loved the addition!

And you can’t forget that morning cup o’ coffee!

coffee

Question of the Morning

• What is the best thing you’ve had for breakfast so far this month?

My answer is an easy one: Malasadas!!! We got them one morning when we were in Oahu and I was in heaven.

Comments

Coconut flour pancakes topped with figs, stewed cinnamon pears, almond butter and toasted flaked almonds!!! Without a shadow of a doubt wins hands down! I’ve been loving chia seed puddings too though! 🙂
    Great circuit workout!

I found some FABULOUS new gluten-free cereals that I love (Gorilla Crunch anyone?! Yum!!) and I’ve probably had one of Tina’s two-ingredient pancakes at breakfast every day this month (at least! Seriously, so yummy!! People should check them out over at Carrots ‘n Cake!). But I’ve been trying some of your egg recipes, Julie, and loving them too!
    Jeez. I just REALLY love breakfast … best part of my day! 🙂

Looks like an awesome circuit workout! I can’t wait to try it out. The best thing I’ve had all month for breakfast is a bowl of hot pumpkin “custard oats” (stovetop oats with an egg whisked in) topped with almond butter. I missed hot oatmeal this summer… It’s tasting soooo good to me these days!

4. Andi Zaferes says

Cereal Mess!! — aka vanilla or plain greek yogurt with a couple dollops of pb on top of a bed of bananas and strawberries all topped off with my favorite kashi go lean cereal. And, you said it best, served along a steaming cup of coffee, of course!

5. Sara says

Hi Julie! Love your blog! I have a question about your current diet. I have noticed a trend in your breakfasts mostly that incorporate less and less carbohydrates. Are you doing the paleo diet? If so, is it beneficial for you?

this is why your blog is one of my favorites – the seemingly never ending supply of new circuit workouts! those are my favorite kind of workout and always having one to do thanks to you is freaking awesome.

i think the best breakfast i’ve had this month was brunch at one of my favorite local cafes – egg, cheese, avocado, and tomato sandwich on toasted country multigrain bread with a side of (super fresh!) fruit salad.

Sadly, I don’t think I have had any breakfast meals that just stand out this month. I need to work on that!!

I love your workouts! I did the super sweaty one this morning and will save this one for Friday!! Thanks for keeping me from having to think too much about it!!

I’m trying to use more spices in my breakfast! Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie and apple pie spices added to my oatmeal (not all at once!) with vanilla protein powder are great to warm me up on these cooler mornings! plus coffee, of course.

9. Stef says

I just tried the paleo oatmeal recipe this weekend and loved it. The texture and taste reminded me a lot of cream of wheat (but much healthier, I’m sure). I also added some sliced banana and walnuts. Delicious. Thanks for the link to the recipe!

Pumpkin Pancakes with a apple peanut butter maple syrup. To. Die. For. I’m also really loving my chocolate oatmeal lately. Your workout this morning looks awesome. I’m going to have to give it a try this week!

I love the workouts you post!

My favorite breakfast was probably my breakfast tortilla this morning – 2 fried eggs with hot sauce, spinach, ham, goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.

I love quick and effective circuit workouts. I also usually begin with some cardio, 15 minutes on the stair master. Thanks for posting this circuit I’ll definitely be trying out this week 🙂 Also what flavor coffee is that? Any good recommendations I need to spice up my morning cup of joe!

13. Jen says

“Peach cobbler” oatmeal has been my flavor of the month!

1/2 cup quick cooking oats
    3/4 cup milk + an extra splash or two to cool it off after cooking
    1/2 – 1 whole peach, skinned and diced
    1 tsp sugar or honey (optional–peaches are so sweet as it is!)
    1/2 – 1 tbsp ground flax
    a few dashes of cinnamon
    1 or 2 dashes vanilla extract

Combine ingredients and microwave 2 minutes. Add extra milk to reach desired consistency and/or cool off the oats. Stir and enjoy!

I make these overnight-style, too! Combine and cover, chill overnight, microwave for a super quick, hot, and hearty breakfast!

14. Loveletters says

Eggs with sauted kale and a slice of white cheddar weight watchers cheese. Yummy.
    Question–Do you really just do 20 min. of cardio a day? It looks like you really put your focus into weight training. I am interetested because I think you look fabulous and I am spending so much time with my morning workout and am afraid to shorten my routine. I sometimes do ‘2 a days.’ Thanks!

15. Katie says

This morning I had sliced bananas in my cereal, and each little piece had the consistency of a marshmallow and even tasted like one. It was the best bowl of cereal I’ve ever had. 🙂

16. Lottie says

Workout question…when you say “squat with lateral raise” do you mean a shoulder lateral raise? Or do you mean to laterally raise your legs alternately when you come out of the squat (to work the glutes)?

17. Michelle @ Lifewithacrazypup says

Can’t wait to try this one Julie! I’ve been doing a lot of your cardio circuits lately and they’ve been awesome so far! THANKS 🙂

i’m a carb queen so anytime i can coerce people to come over to my place for breakfast/brunch its a win! I always use the excuse of guests to make tons of muffins, scones, cinnamon buns and pancakes mmmm

The best thing I’ve had for breakfast this month is definitely my “healthy” french toast w/ a smear of almond butter and topped with a mound of berries, yum! It’s kind of scary how happy that meal makes me, but I know you understand. 🙂 I’m definitely going to work the plank glute kickbacks into my booty-working routine!

My husband and I actually just went on our honeymoon this month to San Francisco and Napa and ate THE best food I’ve ever had! Our favorite breakfast was at a “Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives” place called Dottie’s True Blue Café in San Fran – black bean cakes topped with fried eggs, grilled (yes, grilled!) jalapeno cornbread, and coconut-chocolate chip muffins. Everything was just out of this world and I highly recommend it on a trip to SF 🙂

21. Lindsay says

I learned about the Color Run about a year and a half ago and it’s coming to Houston for the first time in November!! You better believe I’m signed up!!!

22. Heather says

Breakfast this week has been egg white/banana pancake with extra egg whites on the side and maple peanut butter. before that it wa paleo pumpkin oatmeal with extra egg whites and white chocolate peanut butter. Breakfast is my favorite of the day!

23. Christine says

Siggi’s orange and ginger yogurt with Nature’s Path Coconut Chia granola. The thick yogurt mixed with the crunch granola is A-MAZING! And the hints of sweet coconut with orange and ginger is delish! Plus I love chia seeds! Winning!

I won’t say this is the BEST thing I have had for breakfast, but it is my go to breakfast. I have it every day of the week, right after the kids leave for school. Many people say it is strange…what do you think?

A cup of chocolate donut coffee with vanilla creamer and a handful of peanuts…

25. Karen says

Wow, I tried this workout today and it was no joke! It looks easy when you glance at it but once you start going it gets tougher…although it was fun and it went quick, took about 30 minutes with minimal rest. I’m beat! Thanks! I love circuit workouts. Beats the heck outta the treadmill…grrr!

Howdy! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does operating a well-established blog like yours require a lot of work?
    I’m completely new to running a blog however I do write in my diary everyday. I’d like to
    start a blog so I can share my personal experience and
    feelings online. Please let me know if you have any
    recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners.
    Thankyou!