Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow

When it comes to bringing something fun, festive and sweet to a party in the fall, I almost always default to cookies. But cookies – no matter how ridiculously delicious they may be – never get the same reaction that puppy chow gets.

puppy chow pumpkin spice

Just the name alone elicits a reaction. Puppy chow. Those who haven’t heard of puppy chow scoff at the name. Those who have heard of puppy chow start drooling.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with puppy chow, I’m so sorry you’ve been missing out on one of life’s little treasures. But it’s not too late!

I revamped traditional puppy chow (made with chocolate and peanut butter) and created a fun fall version with pumpkin pie spice and Biscoff.

white chocolate biscoff pumpkin pie spice

Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow

Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow

Makes 9 cups Puppy Chow

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 12-ounce package white baking chips
  • 1/2 cup (heaping!) Biscoff spread (creamy or crunchy will work)
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 9 cups rice Chex cereal

Directions

1. Place powdered sugar in a large sealable plastic bag. Set aside.
  2. Combine white baking chips and Biscoff spread in a microwavable safe bowl and microwave on high for one minute. Stir. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir.
  3. Stir pumpkin pie spice into Biscoff mixture. Fold in Chex cereal and toss to coat.
  4. Pour Chex into plastic bag and shake to coat the cereal in powdered sugar.
  5. Remove coated cereal from bag and serve. Enjoy!

pumpkin spice puppy chow 026

I think this puppy chow would also taste delicious with candy corn, orange and yellow Reese’s Pieces candies or pumpkin pie spiced pecans stirred into the mix.

If you decide to give it a go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did in our house!

Comments

Sounds super tasty, though I’ve never heard of puppy chow. But your blog is the only place I’ve ever heard of animal foods referred to as “chow.” (I’m thinking about one time you referred to cat food as cat chow when talking about tunafish). Anyway, this seems like a delightful treat, I’ll have to try it soon.

2. Julie @ sweetly balanced says

These look delicious!! I’ve definitely had a version of these before, but I’ve never called them puppy chow, I’ve always called the Muddy Buddies. I think it’s the same thing.

3. Blake says

This looks so good, Julie!! I’m going to Helen, GA this weekend for Oktoberfest with a large group of friends and I’ll definitely have to make this for everyone to enjoy with some pumpkin beer. Love the fall spin on such a delicious treat!

4. Allie says

we were raving about the puppy chow that someone brought on a retreat i went to this weekend – can’t wait to make this pumpkin version for a football tailgate this weekend! always a big hit

I amde something similar to this at a work party last month, only it was Chex, Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses and Powdered sugar. Easy peasy. Might need to try this version, though.

• Christine M. says

Oooohhhh. Pumpkin Spice Kisses would make it so pumpkin-y!

I wonder if you could mix some actual pumpkin in there, too, or if would mess up the consistency. It would either be a delicious treat or a delightful-tasting mess. I may have to try.

Too bad Biscoff has wheat flour… not gluten-free!

• Kristine says

I was JUST about to comment and ask if there was an alternative to Biscoff because I’m GF too.

I guess regular Muddy Buddies it is! :)

One of my co-workers brought in that biscoff spread for us to try. It’s seriously amazing stuff and I can’t find it in any of the stores! Would you believe I’ve never made puppy chow before? But if I ever do, I think the biscoff idea is amazing.

Biscoff and pumpkin pie spice in one recipe? Definitely making this for my mini road trip this weekend. Sounds like a perfect snack for the car (minus the mess it’ll probably make on my hands haha).

8. Katie says

This looks great! I make something similiar with white chocolate, m&m’s, cereal, and pretzels. We call in “White Trash”, I’m classy like that :) Kinda like honey boo boo

These look so good! Funny you posted this yummy recipe today….I posted a sweet/salty treat on my site today! I’m sure my kids will love this! Thanks for the idea!

I almost didn’t even read this post because I love puppy chow SOO much!! And pumpkin is a favorite too so I just didn’t trust myself at first. If I ever do make this, it will have to be for a party just so I don’t eat it all myself!!
    Thanks for sharing! =)

11. Lesli says

I just made a version of this using pumpkin spice Hershey’s kisses for an office party. Everybody loved it :). This one sounds delicious as well!

OMG- how fun! I’m dying to make this for Thanksgiving. Plus, I love how it just has a hint of the pumpkin pie flavor. Very seasonal but not too pumpkin-y, especially because I’m not a huge fan. Thanks : ).

• melanie says

My niece does too! I was so excited to read this. I feel bad that she misses out on so many good things with PB in them. I never thought of Biscoff spread! That’s genius! I can’t wait to tell my sis-in-law.

13. Katie says

My daughter has a peanut allergy so I am really excited to try this. So many yummy recipes that I can’t make because of her allergy. Thanks!

I love puppy chow! This sounds amazing. I recently came upon a puppy chow recipe using white chooclate chips and lemon zest and juice and powdered sugar. It’s nice to know there’s a puppy chow recipe for every season :).

Oh JULIE!!! That sounds so amazing!!!!

Now all that I want to do is…
    1.)leave this computer lab,
    2.) buy ingredients,
    3.) make recipe.
    4.) eat entire batch for lunch.

(You’re clearly not helping my lab report writing cause.)

Drool drool drool! There’s no way this would last a day in my apartment! Although, my boyfriend’s family from London is coming over for the holidays and I want to treat them to a lot of American food favorites. I’m adding this to the list!

This looks so delicious! I am loving everything pumpkin this season. I will have to try! Check out my blog under Sunday Brunch and I made pumpkin waffles that were delicious

Dear Julie,

I would greatly appreciate it if you didn’t make things with ingredients that I’ve never heard of and don’t have access to, which in turn, forces me, yes, forces me to go on to Amazon and buy them. Maybe you should set up some sort of royalty program with Amazon??

I hope you know I am only kidding, I love your recipes and I love learning about all the wonderful products you have in the US. We are so far behind in Australia – we only just got Chobani yoghurt about 6 months ago.

Keep on creating!! :)

19. Kayleen says

The mascot at my HS in Nebraska was a Husky so we called this stuff “Husky Chow” and sold bags of it at nearly all school functions. Delicious! AND I am making this version this weekend!

20. Brittany says

I am going to try this. P.S. did you get the ceramic leaf at Target? Because I saw one similar at the local one I thought it was adorable but didn’t know what I would use it for. What a great use for it!

21. bernie says

Hi, I just made this, as i type with powdered sugar on my fingers…it’s pretty good. I think I may add more pumpkin spice next time. We have had puppy chow, aka muddy buddies for years (also from Chicago). However, this did introduce us to Biscoff spread and WE ARE IN HEAVEN!!! You are a doll : )

Holy Moly! I looooove puppy chow. Our local frozen yogut shop has it as a topping and it is my favorite! I also love cookie butter (which I think is similar or the same as the spread you used) and pumpkin so this might be the ultimate dessert for me!

23. Kirsten says

Is there anything I could subsitute for the Biscott? We love puppy chow at our house too and this sounds amazing but my son has Celiac and Biscott contains wheat. Just wondering…

24. Kayleen says

FYI – After some google searches I found out that Trader Joe’s has their own version of Biscoff Spread. It is called Cookie Butter! I got it and made this recipe! Delish!

25. jennifer says

this snack is called puppy chow around Il. because it resembles the real thing “Purina Puppy Chow” what ever name, it is good .I will say muddy buddies are not quite as good as the puppy chow recipe I have

• shesmom says

no, unfortunately Biscoff tastes like a cookie – sort of like a vanilla cookie, not like vanilla filling. It’s had to describe as the flavor is unique. If you make it with PB, it will taste like PB. sorry

26. Kathleen says

I live on the West Coast and have never heard of Biscoff- is there an alternative that I could use that’s easy to find in my neck of the woods?

27. Stephanie says

Ha I’m a little late here, but this looks good! I’ve been on a bit of a pumpkin kick lately, including making your Pumpkin Banana Oatmeal–more banana-y and less pumpkin-y than I thought it would be, but still delicious. I’ve always made puppy chow with Crispix, so whenever I have it made with Chex it just doesn’t taste as fantastic to me. If you haven’t, try making normal puppy chow with Crispix! It’s better in my opinion. Also, I’m already looking forward to Christmas, so this has got me thinking of a peppermint/gingerbread/other Christmas flavor puppy chow? Hmmm.

28. Jazz says

Hi Julie! I’m not sure if you read old comments ever but I just made this to take to work tomorrow and it is soooooo good. Thanks for another great recipe!
    P.S. if I don’t stop soon my coworkers won’t ever know this existed :)

• says

Hello…..I had never heard of Biscoff either but I looked on their website and not only will they ship it to you if there are no stores in your area that stock it, but if you go to their site and put in your state, they tell you what stores in your area stock it. Wal-Mart will even ship it to a particular store for you at no charge if that store does not regularly carry Biscoff spread. here in Illinois where I live, many stores carry it…Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Schnuck’s, Meijer, Fresh Market, Dominick’s…the list goes on and on. Do yourself a favor and go to their website, you’ll be glad that you did.

29. shesmom says

Ok, I made this for Labor Day. I added a little bit more spice to the powdered sugar, but other than that, I made it exactly as per the recipe. OH MY GAWD!!! Addictive is putting it mildly – it is fabulous! I had never heard of Biscoff, but now I have all these other uses running through my head. MAKE THIS for a Halloween party, school party, steal some for yourself though. Since there is no peanut butter it is school safe :) Thank you SO much!

Great recipes! I think you should host another crock pot recipe challenge. My crock pot has finally returned into the weekly rotation and I get the feeling other people’s have too!