25 Minute Elliptical Interval Workout

Since I completed 20-minute interval running workout on Monday and ran five miles with Sadie yesterday, I wanted a little breather from running this morning and hopped on the elliptical when I arrived at the gym.

The Best Body Boot Camp program I am following called for a 25-minute interval workout and I opted to do my intervals on the elliptical. I ended up completing the following 25 minute elliptical interval workout before finishing up my time at the gym with a total-body superset workout:

elliptical interval workout

A couple of notes about this workout: I used an elliptical with moveable arms and definitely utilized my arms to help me through the higher resistance levels! Push ‘n’ pull! Also, the elliptical I used didn’t allow me to adjust the incline at all, so the incline I used for the above workout was simply the default incline level of the Precor elliptical with arms at my gym. I just adjusted the resistance levels and managed to get a kick-butt workout that way.

When I typically think of interval workouts, running and walking workouts come to mind, but I shouldn’t rule out the elliptical. Adjusting the resistance levels can deliver a serious workout!

More elliptical workouts:

The flavors that found their way onto my breakfast plate this morning do not exactly mesh well together, but I was craving salsa and cinnamon raisin toast, so I went with it.

cinnamon raisin toast with butter

scrambled eggs with salsa

I ate them separately and after consuming every last bite of my salsa scrambled eggs, the sweet, crispy toast was a great conclusion to my morning meal. Prior to last week, I think at least a year passed since the last time I had cinnamon raisin toast, but my love for the swirled bread returned with a vengeance!

I bought a loaf last week on a whim and bought another loaf this week and can’t seem to get enough. I’m sure I’ll eat it non-stop until I get sick of it and abandon it for another year. That seems to be the trend with this bread!

Question of the Morning

• What is one food that you love that you neglected for a while but recently rediscovered?

My answer is obviously cinnamon raisin toast, but I also cannot seem to resist yogurt-covered pretzels at the moment. I forgot just how tasty those lil’ guys are and adore the sweet and salty flavor combination.

Comments

1. BrendaBettina says

I neglected(believe it or not) peanut butter for years! I recently bought the natural kind and I can’t get enough:) I am making up for lost time that’s for sure!

2. Rachel says

Have you ever tried peanut butter filled pretzels?! It’s not so much that I neglect them, but I don’t allow myself to buy them when I go to Trader Joe’s because I know that, when I do, I’ll eat the whole bag way faster than I should.

The peanut butter in the middle is actually a little disappointing and not creamy, but that combined with the pretzel is just too addicting.

Mmm, I love cinnamon raisin toast! I neglected for awhile, but enjoy it pretty regularly now. The food I neglected most recently was string cheese…used to eat it all the time but I guess I overdid it, and stopped buying it. The craving revived itself and I’ve been having it for a snack almost everyday again!

We’ve been doing yogurt covered pretzels lately too! Publix sells them with different colors drizzled on top. The last ones we got had blue and orange on them (we thought they were black and orange.. for Halloween.. we were wrong hah). Still not sure what those colors were for.

Goldfish! I loved this as a kid, and then for a while in college. Recently I started paying more attention to serving sizes and noticed Goldfish allow 51 pieces! They also came out with some seriously adult flavors; cookies ‘n’ cream, smores, etc. Can we say “Party in my mouth!”?

I used to eat eggs almost every day in some form. I must have got burned out cuz I haven’t eaten them in a while. Now that it is getting cold though I am looking for more warm breakfasts so I am sure they will get back in the rotation soon!

I agree with you about the elliptical… tI CAN be one of those machines that you can be pretty lazy on, but if you put in some effort and use the resistance and/or incline, you can get a pretty kick butt workout on it!

We had cinnamon raisin bread pretty regularly growing up, and I haven’t had it in forever! You’re making me want it again though. 😉

I had cinnamon raisin toast this morning too, which I also had “neglected” myself of for a while now. So yummy! Something I love that I seem to forget about a lot is hummus. Hummus with mini pita bread and carrots is my favorite snack. But I tend to eat way too much of it, and then get sick of it. So sometimes I just need a break from a snack. I also love cheese on top of apple slices.

We’ve had alot of busy weeknights lately where we’ve needed a quick & tasty dinner before running out the door. I’ve been making all sorts of quesadillas – from veggie/egg combos to pumpkin/caramelized veggie ones — I love them all!

No judgment, but I recently rediscovered my love of dried nectarines… weird, I know. I used to make The Barefoot Contessa’s homemade granola ALL the time, and I would use dried nectarines as one of my fruit mix-ins. I stopped making it after I made huge batches for people last Christmas, but this week I got all the stuff to make it again. Only one problem, I already ate all the nectarines, so I have to get some more before I can make the recipe!

I am totally loving yogurt covered almonds – they are available in the bulk section at our grocery store and I am always grabbing a handful out of the pantry these days!
    Did you do you cool workout graphic on pic monkey – super cute!!

12. Marissa says

After reading all the comments on Cinn. Raisin Bread I have to tell yall I make my own 🙂 it’s Ree Drummond’s recipe (the pioneer woman on food network).
    It is absolutely delicious but I love more of a cinnamon flavor so I add cinnamon chips before I roll it up into the pretty swirl pattern 🙂 … you can also use whole wheat flour in place of All-Purpose flour called for.
    I slice it and freeze it and just pop a slice in the toaster for a fast breakfast … lol try it out before you scoff at me and you’ll see it beats store bought hands down.

I looooove cinnamon raisin bread but haven’t had it in way too long. I should change that soon! I recently re-discovered frozen waffles…oh man. They’ve become my go-to breakfast for the past like two weeks. I hadn’t had any since probably high school, but TJ’s multigrain waffles are my new BFFs.

I’ve recently been craving yogurt pretzels all the time, too! It’s ridonkulous how yummy those things are.

Also, I haven’t had Nutella in a while but there is a fresh jar just begging me to peel away the seal and dip my finger, I mean… pretzel rods in. 😀

For me it’s Trader Joe’s muffins. I go through stages where I buy a case every week and eat one almost every day either for breakfast or a snack, and then I get sick of them and go months without buying them. My favorite is the banana chocolate chip kind! Mmmm

Sounds like a great workout! I go in waves with snack foods. I’ll go through a phase where I can only eat yogurt for my snacks, and then suddenly one day I want nothing more to do with it.

I’ve recently rediscovered my baked sweet potato fries! I used to make them all the time, but hadn’t in a while until last night! They are so delicious! Plus I love any food that involves dipping (my dips were ketchup and plain greek yogurt) YUM.

That sounds like a super intense but fun interval! Like I said before, the elliptical is the only machine that makes me a bit bored…hehe. So intervals like that def. keep it a little more interesting in my opinion! And one food that I’ve recently gotten into again is cottage cheese!

thanks for sharing – I’m going to try this workout tmrw!

Hahah side note: have you ever seen the youtube video of that kind-of nutty, outspoken girl who’s talking about doing intense resistance on the elliptical? it’s hilarious. she says how basically everyone around her is looking at her like she’s some out-of-fitness, slowpoke when everyone else is going at full speed ahead with ZERO resistance. she describes her workouts as going through molasses, which is what yours looks like it’ll be 😉

If your workout allows it, I love to do bodyweight exercises as my interval training. I get the extreme cardio push and it blasts my legs too. Plyometrics are fun 🙂

21. Bella says

The elliptical machines with arms that you’ve described are actually called cross-trainers. I swear the resistance that inherently comes with level 1 on those machines is much higher than the average elliptical – always a great workout!

This is just the sort of interval workout that I was looking for to complete at a hotel gym tomorrow morning!
    Love yogurt and chocolate covered pretzels, but I have recently rediscovered a love of cashew nuts after not having any for ages. yum.

Hey Julie! This comment is kind of off topic, but I’m wondering if you could post (or maybe you already have posted) about how you trained Sadie to run with you. My husband and I just got a lab/greyhound mix and I know she’d benefit from daily runs with us, but she is just SO awful on a run — zig-zagging everywhere, smelling everything, stopping, lunging at dogs/people, etc. Thoughts??

Candy corn! I haven’t had it in years, because I truly thought I hated the stuff. I actually purposely bought it for a bowl in my apartment because I thought I wouldn’t need self control around it and yet now I’m eating it by the handful. 🙂

I love yogurt covered pretzels and raisins…mmm.

25. Nicole says

There’s a restaurant in Jupiter that serves chicken salad sandwiches (with a slice of pineapple and melted American cheese) on cinnamon swirl bread. The combination sounds ridiculous but it’s surprisingly good – try it out sometime!

26. Sammy Jean says

This is going to make me sound crazy, but that’s how I eat everything. I go crazy on it for a few weeks, and then I’m burned out on it for a few months. Just happened with cauliflower. Before that it was watermelon. Before that, boiled egg whites, and before that was oatmeal. I guess I just get in a rut and eat the same things– especially when I’m tracking calories because it’s so much easier when it’s already been measured.

27. Pattie Welch says

Julie: This elliptical workout kicked my butt tonight! I’m doing Tina’s bootcamp as well and this was perfect. I’ve had 4 knee surgeries and trying desperately to avoid my 5th by not running anymore, etc. So I’ve been doing a LOT of elliptical — and this really help mix it up and make it challenging. Thanks so much.
    Pattie

Thank you so much for posting this new elliptical interval workout!
    I regularly do your 20 min hill elliptical workout and LOVE it now that I can finally conquer it 🙂