Sarasota Turkey Trot

Happy Thanksgiving from two turkeys!

Turkey Trot

Turkey Trot Girls

(Turkeys doing the chicken dance. We’re a rare breed of fowl.)

Early this morning, Ryan, my sister, her boyfriend and I participated in a local turkey trot in Sarasota. We had so much fun in the race last year that we decided to sign up again and I’m so glad we did!

Sarasota Turkey Trot

My sister and I reused the fun turkey hats we made last year to show our Thanksgiving spirit.

The turkey trot had both 10K and 5K course options and Ryan and I did the 10K while Leslie and Ross did the 5K. Our 10K started at 8 a.m. and we didn’t give ourselves nearly enough time to check in, attach our race bibs and line up at the starting line. Next time we’ll definitely arrive earlier because I felt a little flustered. (<—It took an awful lot of strength to withhold a pun about my turkey feathers being ruffled right there.) We started at the very back of the pack and were caught in some race congestion for the first half mile or so.

Just like last year, we ran over the huge Ringling bridge that we dubbed Mount Sarasota.

photo (7)

It was also rather windy, so I ran up behind Ryan to “draft” which made him laugh when he glanced over his back to see a bunch of feathers running close behind him. I’m a sneaky little gobbler.

Despite my ridiculous drafting attempts, I still felt rather sluggish during the race. Since the course was rather congested in the beginning, I started off jogging and never seemed to get the urge to pick up my pace. We took it easy and even though I scaled back my pace a bit, I still struggled through the race. I just couldn’t get into the running groove, but managed to run the whole thing and face planted into the table of orange slices after Ryan and I crossed the finish line.

photo (8)

We quickly met up with Leslie and Ross and enjoyed the post-race goodies before driving back to my mother-in-law’s house to shower and eat a fantastic breakfast.

IMG_0725-001

IMG_0726-001

IMG_0723-002

My mother-in-law made a blueberry cream cheese French toast casserole with fresh fruit and we wasted no time digging in. It was a great way to kick off a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Comments

Sounds like you had a great start to a (hopefully) awesome thanksgiving! I ran a turkey trot this morning too in New York, 5k and my first ever race! Was so fun and I’m definitely keen on making it a turkey day tradition. You and your siss are so cute! I can’t wait for my own sissy times in 5 days!!

I LOVE doing turkey trots but haven’t been able to do one in the past few years since I teach my RPM classes every Thanksgiving morning now. When I do race on holiday’s, it’s always with family or friends. So much fun! :)

I ran a turkey trot this year for the first time and omg there were so many people!! Over 3,000 so I totally get the whole dodging the crowds thing lol I used my friend as a shield hahaha

You & your sister are just too funny! Love the above pic of you two doing your birdie thang. ;) Glad you had a great Thanksgiving morning with the race! I love close you all are to each other! That French toast casserole sounds so good!!

Whaaat?! I’ve never even heard of a breakfast like that. Mmm. Everyone seems to have so much fun with their Turkey Trot races that I really wish I would have done one (and I’m not even a runner in any sense).

Do you find that wearing compression socks help a lot when doing long races? I have never worn them before but I am doing a half-marathon soon and was wondering if they were worth it

To bring about components straightforward, a great many latest combined with precious products are developed.

Rubs could be provided with decrease the cards to think about because the many salt existing would be broad.
    Tell a lie your favorite moolah out on the
    most important biscuit bed linen, wipe the thought somewhere down
    who have light brown sugars. Try to be, to be the most recent home computers
    and technology doing work for Jet black then Decker within
    his or her recent times learned infrawave the oven can potentially development your own home culinary to be sure this can.
    1 critical class of worry in respect of grubby tennis courts may be individual dwelling.