Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law’s house was filled with wonderful food and lots of family fun. My mother-in-law, Diane, always makes hosting a huge family party seem like a breeze which amazes me.

Diane and her mother spent all day on Wednesday prepping food for the big Thanksgiving Day feast. Their hard work paid off and everyone went to bed with full bellies.

After our morning turkey trot 10K, my fellow turkey trotters and I showered before heading into the kitchen for some last-minute prep work.

Julie and Leslie

Leslie and Ross

Ryan and Julie

Salad Prep

The guys handled the salad which turned out fabulous. It was packed with avocado, glazed pecans and butternut squash. For me to even take the time to comment on a salad on Thanksgiving means it was really something special. Yum!

Everyone started arriving at Diane’s house around noon and we immediately dug into the appetizers.

Diane and Les

Stratford Family

J

Thanksgiving Appetizers

The shining star of the appetizers for me was Chris’ pull-apart garlic bread. Just look at this bad boy:

Pull-Apart Garlic Bread

Unreal.

Chris found the recipe on Pinterest (where else?) and it was so incredibly buttery and cheesy that I couldn’t stop going back for more.

At around 2 p.m., it was time to dig into the feast!

Thanksgiving Table Display

Thanksgiving Table Food

Thanksgiving Table Spread

Thanksgiving Family

For round one, I loaded my plate up with salad, sweet potato casserole, turkey, glazed carrots, stuffing, pineapple soufflé, corn pudding and pickled beets.

IMG_0746-001

Round two included second helpings of sweet potato casserole, stuffing and carrots. Yum!

As always, Sadie camped out between me and Ryan and managed to finagle a few bites once we were done.

IMG_0748

I also had a few glasses of Apothic Red wine throughout the day. Diane saw my blog post from last weekend when I said how much I loved it after I tried it at Tuscany at Mohegan Sun and bought a few bottles for everyone to enjoy yesterday.

Apothic Red

Cheers

It was such a nice surprise!

After our Thanksgiving feast, everyone was too stuffed to immediately dig into dessert, so we headed outside to play corn hole and other yard games for a few hours.

Corn Hole

CIMG3155-002

Soon enough, the pies started calling to us from the house.

IMG_0754-001

I filled my plate with a small slice of pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie and pumpkin cheesecake. Plus lots of whipped cream!

Yesterday’s Thanksgiving feast was incredible and I went to bed feeling incredibly grateful to be able to share the holiday with people I love very much.

I also must take a minute to say how grateful I am for all of YOU. Thank you for reading Peanut Butter Fingers and allowing me to share my life with you every day. You make me laugh and smile and I cannot tell you how much your support means to me. I am very, very grateful for you. Your kindness means more to me than you can possibly know.

Big Sadie hugs are coming your way!

IMG_0759-001

Comments

Oh my gosh, your thanksgiving looks so yummy with all of that food and desert. Sometimes I wish my family had big thanksgivngs so that I could try lots of different dishes. ALSO can I tell you how jealous I am of the fact that you were outside in dresses and shorts yesterday? It’s FREEZING in Washington. What I wouldn’t give for a little sunshine…

2. Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire says

Ahhhh, I see Ryan is celebrating Movember? He’s got a pretty impressive beard there! Looks like you guys had a great time, so happy to see it!

Wow, looks like a great Thanksgiving! You are blessed to have such a great in-law family. That was special of your Mother-in-law to get that wine. A REALLY thoughtful thing to do. Blessings!

• says

she actually bought the corn pudding from a local grocer (morton’s) and my mother-in-law made up the salad. she said it included: romaine lettuce, spinach, 3 avocados, 3 diced tomatoes, 1/2 red onion (sliced thin), blue cheese, roasted butternut squash and an orange poppyseed dressing. it was fantastic!

4. Zoe says

What an awesome feast!
    I am so thankful to you!!! Your blog is always a great pick-me-up, source of inspiration and continued push to be a little bit more healthy while not making me feel judged if I slip up.

This year I was also thankful for an amazing internship opportunity that will truly launch my career in the right direction- but I will have to work 24 hours a week on top of a school schedule and commute to work 1.5 hours each way. It’s a lot, but I love what I’m doing and I love my school. It’s going to be an incredible semester! When I was thinking about my schedule it didn’t seem like fitness fit in anywhere! But that’s just not the answer. I’m going to have to stick to my resolve and keep reading fitness blogs as well as JUST DO IT but I WILL NOT give up fitness for success.

Wow kind of a rant but I’m trying to tell everyone about my resolve so that I stick to it!

Thank you again for your awesome blog 🙂

This sounds like SUCH a fun day!! I love your dress and the kitchen you guys are standing in is to die for! I love that you played corn hole after your feast… Love everything about your day, especially the garlic bread 🙂

wow that looks like an amazing spread! I love how you guys in America have sweet with savoury…totally making sweet potato casserole at Christmas this year!!! Also pecan pie is you best invention ever, I’m making it an Irish pudding staple! 🙂

We drank Apothic Red last night as well! Normally I’m not a fan of reds but I loved the Apothic Red. Our friends said the same thing. I had planned on buying Hot to Trot, which my mom recommended, but they were sold out. I will most definitely buy Hot to Trot again.

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8. Alison says

Looks like you had an awesome Thanksgiving! That garlic bread really does look unreal. Oh my gosh. The desserts look fantastic too! 🙂 Have a happy Friday!

Well thank you for writing an amazing blog! Well, you make me wish we had Thanksgiving over here! What fun and great food! Ps. I can’t believe you let Sadie eat off your fork but! ARGHHGHGHDFJHJDFBFJV that freaked me out 😉

10. AJ says

That is a HECK of a lot of food! But its so nice that you were able to share the holiday with family and friends. And how nice of your mother-in-law to get the wine you liked.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

11. kyla says

What a beautiful thanksgiving, I love reading your blog every day. It always puts a smile on my face 🙂

Is Ryan celebrating No Shave November? I’m impressed with his beard.

What an amazing Thanksgiving feast! 😀 That’s so thoughtful and special that your mother-in-law got the Apothic wine you mentioned you liked. I love that. Oh, and that pull-apart garlic bread… there are no words except maybe holy YUM! 😉

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I am hoping to give one thing back and aid others like you helped me.