ZOOMA Half Marathon Training Plan

It’s that time again!

Half marathon training time!!!

Last night I spent some time putting together my training plan for the ZOOMA Florida half marathon. The big race is approximately eight weeks away and it’s time to dive headfirst into training!

I’ve intentionally been running five miles a few times a week to make sure I have a decent base. I feel quite comfortable with my five-mile base and am ready to begin incorporating long runs into my training.

Since this will be my fifth half marathon, I feel more comfortable with my training plan. My training plan is quite similar to the plan I’ve followed for the two half marathons I ran last year and the one I ran in 2010. (My plan is simply a training plan that works for me based on my fitness level but I am not a running coach by any means, so please don’t follow this plan without consulting with an expert!)

I constructed my plan based off of my personal workout schedule (I don’t want to give up strength training!) and Hal Higdon’s half marathon training plans.

This morning I took some time to make it look all fancy since I want to have something fun to print out and hang on our fridge.

ZOOMA Half Marathon Training Plan

Crossing off the long runs with a marker is oddly satisfying!

Though I made a conscious effort to start training last week (I went running three times, including Thursday’s turkey trot 10K race), this week officially marks week one of my training. Five miles is on the docket for today!

Sadie is psyched.

Sleepy Vizsla

Of course my training plan is flexible and I may shuffle some of the workouts around but half marathon fever is running through my body and I’m excited to get training!

More half marathon-related blog posts:

Breakfast this morning centered around half of an avocado.

Avocado and scrambled eggs

I topped scrambled eggs prepared with a splash of milk and shredded mozzarella cheese with the sliced avocado.

Served with a handful of trail mix and a hot cup of coffee!

Target Trail Mix

Coffee in Anthropologie Initial Mug

I’m planning to spend the morning working before heading out for a lunchtime run with Sadie. The weather is gorgeous today, so hopefully it stays nice and cool!

Question of the Morning

• Do you have any fitness goals that you hope to accomplish during the holiday season?

Comments

1. Cassie says

I’ve only ever ran one 1/2 marathon a little over a year ago, but the day after Thanksgiving this year I ran my own “Turkey Trot” and ran my longest mileage to date…14.5 miles and had a PR on my 1/2 marathon of 19minutes. I was pretty shocked and happy! :)

Congrats on starting your training! I have two halves I want to do in the spring and just need to sign up and start thinking about running. Hoping to get a 8 miler in today, we shall see! Just gotta build that confidence back up in running the 13.1!

I tried the half marathon thing and it didn’t work out that great. My goal is to just be as fit as possible by trying new things. I’ve recently tried PURE BARRE!!!- which you can check out my new blog today about :) and I usually lift weights. I think I might try a little power yoga here and there too! Hope you will visit my site!

Nice training plan! My holiday fitness goal was hit this past Sunday – run an entire half marathon without stopping to walk. Nailed it and even beat my goal time by a minute! What up! Going to start full marathon training shortly to run the full Rock n Roll in Seattle this year. *gulp*

Yay! for another half!! You are going to do great! Do you think you will ever do a full? I bet you could! Smart to not take out cross training, start incorporating air squats in your CT they are awesome to strengthen your hip flexors and keep them strong for running and prevent brusitis (sp?) Your plan looks great, the only change I would make would to make your weekend before a little shorter like 8-9 instead of 12. That way you will feel stronger the day of the race and ready to go! If you can run 11 you can run 13.1 ;) Way to go!

This is my first time commenting! Ive been reading your blog for a few months and I have a question – perhaps I have missed it – what are you doing for strength training/cross training? Do you have a plan you follow? Thanks!

7. Kelly says

I too am training for the FL Zooma half and my mom is training for the 5k. It means a trip home and an opportunity to run my first half in one of my favorite places in the states! Love following your blog – it takes me back home everyday (I grew up in Jax). Good luck with your training!

I am currently trying to get the drive back to run my second Half Maathon. Still nit there yet, I am stuck at the desire to do better than the first. I guess I put the pressure on myself and instead of gaining momentum and strength … I am feeling unsure!!!

I just started my half marathon training today and I couldn’t agree more when it comes to the amazing feeling of crossing off your runs! I just LOVE your cute little plan! You’re so motivating!!!

The Zooma sounds like South African Zuma. Guys come and run the ‘Comrades Marathon’ or the ‘Two Oceans Marathon’ in South Africa. It is a real test of your techniques.

11. Kate says

This is sort of related… (I’m looking into good dogs to run with), but does Sadie shed a lot of hair? My family pet was always too short to run with (teeny weeny legs!) but she never shed hair, which I got quite addicted to :)
    Excited for you training for HM again, I’m about to start training for my second!

12. Gina says

This post was da bomb! I am following BBB 3 and I dont want to give up my strength training but want to train for another half/simply run more.

13. Kristi-Anne says

Hi Julie,

I love your blog. I have used your treadmill and circuit workouts (although, I need to adjust them because you are definitely in better shape than me;-). I recently moved and the easiest way for me to workout is to wake up early in the morning and workout at home for 30-45 minutes. I would like to create a workout regimen for myself. Any advice on where to begin?

I am doing P90X for the second time, and am seeing even better results then the first time I did it. That’s probably because I am also following a stricter meal plan, and have cut out a lot of foods – although I know I need to start drinking more water. I also teach a spin class every Thursday night. I sometimes worry about over extending myself, but I definitely want to run a 1/2 marathon. Right now I can run a 10k with relative ease, but I haven’t run much further than that. I may have to put this schedule to use.

16. Lauren says

Julie,

I want you to know how much I appreciate your blog and how inspiring you are to me! I just finished my first 10k, and you are motivating me to sign up for a half marathon in a few months. I feel like if I can conquer this, I can do anything! Thanks for all the posts and positivity. You are wonderful!

Lauren