ZOOMA Half Marathon Training Plan

It’s that time again!

Half marathon training time!!!

Last night I spent some time putting together my training plan for the ZOOMA Florida half marathon. The big race is approximately eight weeks away and it’s time to dive headfirst into training!

I’ve intentionally been running five miles a few times a week to make sure I have a decent base. I feel quite comfortable with my five-mile base and am ready to begin incorporating long runs into my training.

Since this will be my fifth half marathon, I feel more comfortable with my training plan. My training plan is quite similar to the plan I’ve followed for the two half marathons I ran last year and the one I ran in 2010. (My plan is simply a training plan that works for me based on my fitness level but I am not a running coach by any means, so please don’t follow this plan without consulting with an expert!)

I constructed my plan based off of my personal workout schedule (I don’t want to give up strength training!) and Hal Higdon’s half marathon training plans.

This morning I took some time to make it look all fancy since I want to have something fun to print out and hang on our fridge.

ZOOMA Half Marathon Training Plan

Crossing off the long runs with a marker is oddly satisfying!

Though I made a conscious effort to start training last week (I went running three times, including Thursday’s turkey trot 10K race), this week officially marks week one of my training. Five miles is on the docket for today!

Sadie is psyched.

Sleepy Vizsla

Of course my training plan is flexible and I may shuffle some of the workouts around but half marathon fever is running through my body and I’m excited to get training!

More half marathon-related blog posts:

Breakfast this morning centered around half of an avocado.

Avocado and scrambled eggs

I topped scrambled eggs prepared with a splash of milk and shredded mozzarella cheese with the sliced avocado.

Served with a handful of trail mix and a hot cup of coffee!

Target Trail Mix

Coffee in Anthropologie Initial Mug

I’m planning to spend the morning working before heading out for a lunchtime run with Sadie. The weather is gorgeous today, so hopefully it stays nice and cool!

Question of the Morning

• Do you have any fitness goals that you hope to accomplish during the holiday season?

Comments

ah yes so excited for the picmonkey holiday backgrounds! No half’s for me until March but I have yet to run a 10k race so my dad and I are hoping to find one to do soon and are scouring the web for a race on christmas morning!

I don’t have a goal for the holiday season, but I’m working towards running a 10K in the spring. Just trying to get used to the consistency of working out and experimenting with some healthy recipes in the kitchen. It’s all a work in progress :)

Awesome idea to print it out to check off the days. I start training for my first half on January 20th. I will be running the IronGirl in April and the Zooma Annapolis in June. I am going to steal this idea to create a fun pretty version to hang on the fridge. I’m using the Train Like A Mother plan modified to fit my crosstraining days.

• says

i’ve done the whole print off the training plan and cross off run thing for all of my half marathons. it feels great to cross off a long run – each one feels like a mini accomplishment!! good luck on your first half! very exciting!!!

Training for a half marathon during the holidays is quite ambitious! I am not a big cold weather running fan, so December in Ohio isnot the best time for me, but December in Florida is a totally different story! I don’t have any big fitness plans for the next month except to stick with my usual work outs and try not to sweat it if I miss a couple due to Christmas fun :)

Totally have half marathon fever, too! I officially begin training for my first half in two weeks! My mom and a few of her friends plus myself and one of my friends are doing the Miller Lite Charlottesville Marathon. This is what my training plan will look like…
    It’s going to feel like I’m still in high school on the cross country team, haha.

P.S. Love your blog and I have the same mug only with a ‘C’ instead. :)

6. Jackie says

My boyfriend and I are training for our first half together! We want to do one in April/ May! Loved your plan! It was adorable! I am very jealous you get to run in such nice weather, we did our 5 mile run on Sunday in snow flurries! Bring on the layers!

Look at your cute little background! I ran my first half marathon exactly a month ago (training for a full in February) but my training has slacked so bad since then. Yesterday a friend had to give up her spot in the St. Jude half marathon this weekend and asked me to run in her place. I jumped at it! Now, I’m worried I’m not trained enough. No time goals, just completion. right? right! 😉

I always seem to pack on the pounds during the winter months. Up here in Boston it’s so dreary, dark, and cold during the winter that all I want to do when I get home from work is curl up in my sweats with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book! It’s hard for me to find motivation to get my butt to the gym.

By the way, I finally bought Divergent and started reading it on my flight back to Boston yesterday. IT IS SO GOOD! I started it when we took off and when we landed I was 300+ pages in. I couldn’t fall asleep because all I wanted to do was keep reading, but I had to be up in a few hours. I love it!!

Yay, half marathon training time =) half marathons are my favorite length, just hard enough to be an event without taking over your life. My semi secret holiday holiday fitness goal is to complete my first ultra marathon. Is Ryan running with you this time?

Yay for half marathons! I ran one a few years ago and would love to do another one. I’ve been doing my own little training plan that’s somewhat similar to yours for my first marathon that’s coming up in a few months. I was increasing my long run by a mile every week, but I’ve been training for so long that I’m waiting to increase it anymore. Plus, this cold weather in IL isn’t helping any!

Hey Julie! I’ve been wanting to try a half marathon for a long time now. The most I’ve ever run in a race is a 10K, and it was such an accomplishment for non-runner-but-wannabe-runner me. I’m working on s-l-o-w-l-y building up my endurance right now, so hopefully I can run one next year. :)

Very cute training plan! I’m going to have to do that when I can start running again. I have a half marathon on Jan 26th, but I’m injured and haven’t been able to run more than about 4 miles per week… sooooo training isn’t going great. Haha

I am envious of your perfect-looking avocado. It is a rarity to find a good one up here! The last couple times I’ve bought them they’ve been awful, brown and mushy so I’ve stopped! I love avocados, too…so sad. Have a great run with cutie Sadie today!

I’d love to try my hand at a half marathon one of these days. The holiday season is pretty much BALTIC here so all training remains indoors…I’m such a wuss when it comes to the cold!

15. LisaG says

I’m debating whether to switch my gym membership, since I’m up for renewal, to a new gym here that has all the Bodypump classes. I’ve heard you love them.

My goal for the holiday season is to keep going to TRX 4-5 mornings a week through Christmas week. This will help keep the holiday pounds off for sure {and let me enjoy a glass or two of eggnog Christmas Eve}!

17. Katherine says

Great training plan. I might actually put it in place for my training! I’m doing the zooma in fl. – this will mark my 5th half. Hoping to beat my time after an upsetting RNR in savannah this past month and suffering a foot sprain. Thanks for the good training plan and good luck to you!!!

18. Christine says

Funny, I had the same breakfast! 1/2 avocado w/ scrambled egg, light cheddar and some siracha! It was SO GOOD! And a cup of peppermint mocha coffee w/ almond milk on the side! Avocados are on sale this week so I stocked up!

Good luck with the training!

My goal over the holidays is to stay on track and make sure that I am ready to start training for the Cleveland Marathon in May. I bounced between doing the half marathon or a 10K. However, after running a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, I’m feeling confident about my chances for the half marathon and I’m shooting to begin training towards the end of February. I’m still looking for a good plan–I’ve heard good things about the Hal Higdon plan, but I want to see what else is out there too…

My fitness goal during the holiday season consists of trying NOT to gain 5 pounds! I do not run, but I walk the dog. Maybe I should strive to take him on longer walks. 😉

21. Kristin says

I am thinking about running a half marathon next spring! I have scoliosis, though, so the amount of work I have to do before/after runs (as far as stretching/rolling/strength) is way higher maintenance than the average bear in order to keep my back from pulling my hips/etc out of whack. I learned that the hard way last time and got injured for months. Ugh! I want to run it, but not sure I am committed enough to put in all the extra time to combat the way nature made me 😉

Anyway, I am clearly not an expert either, but I just wanted to mention that the past half marathons I trained for with a group/coach, and lots of our non long runs were around 3 miles. Some of those were for recovery purposes, and others incorporated speed/hill work. I only say this because I wonder if making EVERY non-long run 5 miles is over-doing it for your legs. Just something to think about before you get started!

I just want to be more active. I was doing well for October, but November hit and too much stuff happened. I just need to get back in the habit of working out, going to the gym, etc.

I need to get some races on the schedule for this spring. I’ve been too overwhelmed this fall with grad school and a full time job to really focus on training for anything. But I’ll be finished with school in a few weeks, so it’s time to put another goal in mind! I’m thinking maybe a Tough Mudder would be a fun race to look forward to.

Good luck with the start of your training! I don’t really have any “holiday” goals, but I really, really want to do an indoor tri in February. I had heard about them before but didn’t know much detail until I read about yours on your blog this past summer, and I totally think it’s something I could do. I just need to get myself back into the pool soon!

25. Kerry says

I’m a freshman in college and just started seriously running again back in August. I used to have soccer as my exercise and I always hated running, it just bored me. BUTTTT…
    I’ve been working hard & making small goals with my mom back home to give myself some motivation. About two weeks ago I ran my second 5k (I ran a Turkey Trot in 2010) — the Girls on the Run 5k for my mom’s school — and I was so excited that I ran the whole race that I convinced my mom to sign up for the Reindeer Run 5k with me!
    Hopefully I can keep this up and get to a 10k by the summer or next fall.

You did a great job getting it all cute! I wish I could run 5 miles but I’m still chugging away at 3 miles tops. I’m saving this for when I’m actually a decent runner. :) Good luck training and I’m looking forward to hearing all about it!

27. Tracy says

Julie,

I love that you keep up with your strength training during half marathon training. I think that’s important and something people tend to forget about (and get injured). Hopefully Hal Higdon’s plan works because I’m SUPER nervous and only three weeks in to training for my first ever marathon (DC Rock n’ Roll in March). Anyway, if you haven’t considered it, you should look into the 4/28/2012 Nike Women’s Marathon (technically half marathon) in DC! This is the first time they are running it outside of California and it’s destined for greatness (plus, who can turn down a Tiffany’s necklace at the finish line?!) Because apparently we are all crazy, there is a lottery to get in. So if anyone is interested, the random drawing period ends December 6th. Linked here: https://www.facebook.com/NWM26.2/app_328674533855007

itz so smart and important you incorporate strength training during your plan! i didn’t and now i have taken a break from running and started lifting weights again, and itz so hard!!!! best of luck!!

29. Destiny says

Hi Julie,

I know you’ve mentioned this in a previous blog, but I can’t seem to find it no matter what I search for. What website do you use to make your workout images? The one you made for your training plan is SO CUTE and I think I’m finally sold on it. I want to start making my own cute training plans to stay motivated!

FYI, I’ve been reading your blog for almost 2 years now and this is the first time I’m commenting. Crazy!

30. Cassie says

I’ve only ever ran one 1/2 marathon a little over a year ago, but the day after Thanksgiving this year I ran my own “Turkey Trot” and ran my longest mileage to date…14.5 miles and had a PR on my 1/2 marathon of 19minutes. I was pretty shocked and happy! :)

Congrats on starting your training! I have two halves I want to do in the spring and just need to sign up and start thinking about running. Hoping to get a 8 miler in today, we shall see! Just gotta build that confidence back up in running the 13.1!

I tried the half marathon thing and it didn’t work out that great. My goal is to just be as fit as possible by trying new things. I’ve recently tried PURE BARRE!!!- which you can check out my new blog today about :) and I usually lift weights. I think I might try a little power yoga here and there too! Hope you will visit my site!

Nice training plan! My holiday fitness goal was hit this past Sunday – run an entire half marathon without stopping to walk. Nailed it and even beat my goal time by a minute! What up! Going to start full marathon training shortly to run the full Rock n Roll in Seattle this year. *gulp*

Yay! for another half!! You are going to do great! Do you think you will ever do a full? I bet you could! Smart to not take out cross training, start incorporating air squats in your CT they are awesome to strengthen your hip flexors and keep them strong for running and prevent brusitis (sp?) Your plan looks great, the only change I would make would to make your weekend before a little shorter like 8-9 instead of 12. That way you will feel stronger the day of the race and ready to go! If you can run 11 you can run 13.1 😉 Way to go!

This is my first time commenting! Ive been reading your blog for a few months and I have a question – perhaps I have missed it – what are you doing for strength training/cross training? Do you have a plan you follow? Thanks!

36. Kelly says

I too am training for the FL Zooma half and my mom is training for the 5k. It means a trip home and an opportunity to run my first half in one of my favorite places in the states! Love following your blog – it takes me back home everyday (I grew up in Jax). Good luck with your training!

I am currently trying to get the drive back to run my second Half Maathon. Still nit there yet, I am stuck at the desire to do better than the first. I guess I put the pressure on myself and instead of gaining momentum and strength … I am feeling unsure!!!

I just started my half marathon training today and I couldn’t agree more when it comes to the amazing feeling of crossing off your runs! I just LOVE your cute little plan! You’re so motivating!!!

The Zooma sounds like South African Zuma. Guys come and run the ‘Comrades Marathon’ or the ‘Two Oceans Marathon’ in South Africa. It is a real test of your techniques.

40. Kate says

This is sort of related… (I’m looking into good dogs to run with), but does Sadie shed a lot of hair? My family pet was always too short to run with (teeny weeny legs!) but she never shed hair, which I got quite addicted to :)
    Excited for you training for HM again, I’m about to start training for my second!

41. Gina says

This post was da bomb! I am following BBB 3 and I dont want to give up my strength training but want to train for another half/simply run more.

42. Kristi-Anne says

Hi Julie,

I love your blog. I have used your treadmill and circuit workouts (although, I need to adjust them because you are definitely in better shape than me;-). I recently moved and the easiest way for me to workout is to wake up early in the morning and workout at home for 30-45 minutes. I would like to create a workout regimen for myself. Any advice on where to begin?

I am doing P90X for the second time, and am seeing even better results then the first time I did it. That’s probably because I am also following a stricter meal plan, and have cut out a lot of foods – although I know I need to start drinking more water. I also teach a spin class every Thursday night. I sometimes worry about over extending myself, but I definitely want to run a 1/2 marathon. Right now I can run a 10k with relative ease, but I haven’t run much further than that. I may have to put this schedule to use.

45. Lauren says

Julie,

I want you to know how much I appreciate your blog and how inspiring you are to me! I just finished my first 10k, and you are motivating me to sign up for a half marathon in a few months. I feel like if I can conquer this, I can do anything! Thanks for all the posts and positivity. You are wonderful!

Lauren