Holiday Movies You Quote Throughout the Year

Ryan has a habit of snapping pictures of me on his phone when I’m looking extremely ridiculous. Yes, I have a husband who enjoys capturing pictures of me making an ass of myself. (Example: Picture a photo of my adult-size body crammed into a tiny Power Wheels car driving it around my mother-in-law’s lawn over Thanksgiving. Fueled by sangria.)

When I went to upload my photos from breakfast this morning, I noticed some new additions to our iCloud folder of pictures. Ryan’s phone automatically uploads his phone photos to our desktop and I laughed out loud when I saw the picture he snapped of me wrapping presents with the headlamp from Monday night’s blackout

headlamp wrapping presents

Isn’t that how everyone wraps holiday gifts?

We are a rare breed of human.

Holiday Movies You Quote Throughout the Year

The holiday fun continued in the Fagan household last night!

Ryan and I parked our butts on the couch with our salmon dinner just in time to watch Home Alone.

Salmon Dinner

Plus extra dark hot chocolate for dessert!

Hot Chocolate

Home Alone is one of my favorite holiday movies. It also happens to be one of the holiday movies we seem to quote in our house throughout the year.

One of the best lines from Home Alone?

“Buzz! Your girlfriend! Woof!”

Buzz Your Girlfriend Woof

(Fun fact I learned from Brittany last night when I Instagramed that photo: Buzz’s girlfriend is actually a boy. The director thought it would be too mean to make fun of a girl.)

As we watched Home Alone last night, I realized there are a lot lines from holiday movies that we seem to quote year-round.

Some of our favorites:

Home Alone:

• “Buzz! Your girlfriend! Woof!”
  • “Look what you did you little jerk!”
  • “Keep the change you filthy animal.”
  • Some variation of “get your no-good keister off my property” because I can never remember that line word-for-word.

Christmas Vacation:

• “Can I refill your eggnong? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?”
  • “I wanna get you something… really nice.”
  • “Shitter’s full!”
  • “How could things get any worse? We’re at the threshold of hell.”
  • “It’s Christmas and we’re all in misery.”
  • “We’re gonna have the hap- hap- happiest Christmas!”
  • “Why is the carpet all wet, Todd? I don’t know Margo.”
  • “Grace? She passed away 30 years ago!” “The BLESSING.”
  • “I’m gonna catch it in the coat… and smack it with the hammer.”

Elf:

• “Bye, Buddy! Hope you find your dad.” “Thanks, Mr. Narwhal.”
  • “Buddy the Elf. What’s your favorite color?”
  • “Son of a NUTcracker!”
  • “He’s an angry elf.”
  • “I just like to smile. Smiling’s my favorite.”

Question of the Morning

• What is your favorite holiday movie?
  • Do you quote holiday movies throughout the year? Any favorite quotes?

Comments

Hahahaha I love that picture! You’re not alone-Nick takes pictures of me sleeping all the time and then sends me them randomly throughout the next couple of weeks. He also takes videos of me snoring, which is so attractive. I quote Elf all year long-LOVE that movie!

Elf, hands down, is my favorite. I watch Elf all year long and quote it often. My favorite are “you sit on a throne of lies” “Buddy the Elf. What’s your favorite color?” and “You smell like beef and cheese” “smiling’s my favorite” ok, I’ll stop there. I could quote Elf all day!

This post totally brightened my mood this morning. I’m loving all of your favorite Christmas quotes! Especially “Why is the carpet all wet, Todd? I don’t know Margo.” and “It’s Christmas and we’re all in misery.” Too funny! I watched Home Alone last night too…I think my favorite part is when Kevin puts the enormous tarantula on the robber. That scream, it can’t be imitated!

4. Courtney says

I live in Hoboken, which is right near the Lincoln Tunnel so every time I hear someone say “Lincoln Tunnel” I can only respond with “and then, I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel!”

Yes! two of my favourit all time holiday movies Elf and Christmas Vacation! Good choices!
    “you really like sugar don’t you?”
    “Is syrup made of sugar? Than YES!”

From “The Santa Clause”:
    “It’s probably got key lime disease!”

From “Santa Claus: The Movie” (1985) Has anyone besides me and my family seen this movie? it’s on Netflix.
    “Christmas 2!!!!!!”…”Christmas 2?” (Said with a tone of “Dude. Seriously?”)

And I hate to be a party pooper, but I watched Christmas Vacation last night, and it was just meh. Not my favorite. Some good one-liners, though, but overall, I just thought it was okay.

7. Alexandra says

Ahh this post made me laugh because I can totally relate! My husband does the same thing to me! Christmas Vacation is definitely our favorite movie in my house – “See, cant see the lines can you Russ…RUSS!” hahaha

Hahahaha I love quoting movies, and I LOVE Home Alone! I didn’t know that Buzz’s girlfriend is a boy but that was awful nice of the director, imagine if you were a girl and that was you! One of my favorite lines from Elf is when he answers the phone: “This is Buddy, what’s your favorite color?” Sometimes I’ll answer and say the same thing using my name!

9. Stef says

“Eddie, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised that I am right now”
    and of course
    “Let’s burn some dust. Eat my rubber!”
    Best. Christmas. Movie. Ever.

I am the WORST at movie lines… I can never remember any of them, but my husband remembers all of them. My all time favorite Christmas movie is the “The Holiday”.

11. Kristin M says

Julie what a fun holiday post! Thanks for sharing the pic sounds like you guys have a lot of fun! My husband likes to take pictures of me sleeping and then send them to me randomly…and my 7 year daughter always encourgages him to do this as she thinks it is so funny! LOL :) We quote Christmas Vacation, Elf, and Christmas Story all year long too!

12. Lisa says

Home Alone, Elf, Christmas Vacation, and It’s a Wonderful Life are my faves (too many to choose from to pick just one!)

I also love the line “save the neck for me, Clark!” Oh cousin Eddie, you are so strange and hilarious!

We watched the same movie last night and my fiance just told me about Buzz’s girlfriend being a boy too! I had never heard that before. Apparently he read a list of 10 things you never knew about Home Alone so throughout the entire movie, he was telling me them, haha.

I absolutely love that you quoted “Shitter’s full!”

My favorite part in Elf is when Buddy runs in and yells “You did it! Congratulations! Worlds best cup of coffee! Great job everybody! It’s great to be here” :)

14. L says

What’s even worse than Ryan taking funny/awkward pics of you is that my boyfriend’s dad does it to me. He has a nice camera and is always snapping pics, but for me it’s always at inopportune times when I’m being especially weird/goofy. Everyone is always laughing about it, but what scares me is that I don’t even know what he does with the pictures because he doesn’t put them online or print them. He’s probably going to release some best selling sequel to the Awkward Family Photos book …

15. Laura says

I know this is a controversial statement, but I actually prefer Home Alone 2 to Home Alone, although, they are both quality films and clearly I watch them both every year! My favorite Christmas movie has to be Love Actually, though. And I am CONSTANTLY saying lines from it throughout the year such as “…wooould we call her chubby?” and “let’s go get the sh*t kicked out of us by love!” It just makes me so happy :)

This whole post made me smile! Gift wrapping is my favorite Christmas activity…next to watching my family’s reactions while opening those gifts :) And those quotes are great! I could picture them all, and they made me laugh so hard! Thanks!

17. Kellye says

I totally forgot about that quote from home alone! So hilarious! My favorite quote from Elf is when Buddy says “Does Santa know you left the workshop?” to that little man in the office. I crack up every time!

18. Laurel says

John and I have been repeatedly saying “Merry Christmas ya filthy animal” this holiday season…and I peed myself laughing a little while reading your quotes from Christmas Vacation….oh and there is a t-shirt that says “Merry Christmas. Shitter’s Full”….I think we need that.

I’m SOOOO glad we’re not the only ones who do that!!

Home Alone 1 and 2: “I’m up here you morons/horses @ss” (Depending on which one you’re referring to)
    “That was the sound of a tool chest falling down the stairs”
    “Little Moe with the gimpy leg”
    “He came around after 6 or 7 weeks, kids are resilient.”

Charlie Brown Christmas (not a movie but still)
    “All I want is what I have coming to me, all I want is my fair share.”
    “Lights please”
    “For BeHOLD!”

Scrooged:
    “Well I am happy with the path I’ve chosen you little b____”
    “Yule love it!”
    “You’ve been an awfully good boy this year!”

Okay, I need to stop.

20. Fizz @ fizzsbizz says

Oh where do I even start with Christmas vacation?!
    “I don’t know Margot” is the best!!
    These ones get a LOT of use between Christmases;
    “Here Russ, you start on these”
    “Merry Christmas, merry Christmas, kiss my a*%, kiss his a*#, kiss your a*#, happy Hanukkah”.
    “She’ll see it later, her eyes are frozen”.
    “Hallelujah, holy sh*#!”
    Ohhh so so so many!

21. Elisabeth says

My favorite holiday movies are Home Alone (I can still remember going to the theater to see it with my mom & cracking up the whole time!), Christmas Vacation and I’ll Be Home for Christmas (a little JTT love 😉 ).

22. Tiffany Bush says

Haa! I love Home Alone 1 and 2! I just said last night that I only have 7 more days to watch it before Christmas, and I can’t believe I have not watched it yet! I love it so much that I will watch it throughout the year just to bring back good memories :)

Favorite quote from Home Alone 1:
    “Keep the change you filthy animal!”
    Home Alone 2:
    “Bring me back something French!”

Happy Holidays!

23. Karen says

We say “Buddy the Elf what’s your favorite color” atleast 2-3 times a week not during Christmas time (Christmas time it is every day). Did you know most of the lines of that movie were not scripted but just impromptu Will Ferrel? He’s awesome.

I LOVE all of those quotes. My whole family, even my Mom, uses the Christmas Vacation line of “If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised then I am right now.”

And any time I am trying to navigate the snowy sidewalks here in Canada and my husband offers me his arm, I always do in a high pitched voice “Don’t throw me down Clark.” He rolls his eyes at me every time, I on the other hand have a giggle fit.

Oh and It’s a Wonderful Life, I like to yell out “Hot Dog!” when given the chance.

Oh Julie, you crack me up! I too love most of those quotes, my favorite being “Buddy the Elf. What’s your favorite color?”. Of course I had to read them all as they are said in the movies, especially “I don’t know, Margo”. I also very much enjoyed your picture, classic! It should be your Christmas card!

26. Cathryn says

I’m pretty sure the most used holiday quote my friends and I share is from Home Alone:
    “Get upstairs Kevin!” “I am upstairs dummy.” or from Christmas Vacation, “He’s gonna find the happiest bunch of a**holes this side of the nut house!”

I definitely quote Elf the most. On top of the staple “I like to smile. Smiling’s my favorite” and “Buddy the Elf! What’s your favorite color?” I love – “SANTAAAAAA! I know him!” and “You smell like beef & cheese. You don’t smell like Santa.”

28. Lauren B. says

Christmas Vacation is one of my favs and definitely GE most quotable in our family… All I the ones you mentioned, and then…
    ” I don’t know about the cat, but I sure am enjoying it.”

“Naww, he’s just yakking on a bone.”

“Don’t you go Fallin’ in love with it, cuz we’re taking it with us when we leave next month.”

The Cousin Eddie quotes are endless!

29. Laura says

My hubby and i were watching Home Alone last night too! I havent watched it in about 20 years though and i was thoroughly entertained!
    I always say “Nobody wants a CHARLIE in the box” from Rudolph
    and “Smiling is my favorite!” from Elf. Love Elf!

My brothers absolute favorite line is the Home Alone “look what you did you little jerk”! It is a great one that I hear all year long for sure! I just taped Home Alone – I can’t wait to watch it now! Home Alone, Love Actually and Elf are probably my top three holiday movies – I also love Christmas Vacation, though!

Oh I’m definitely feeling you on the ridiculous pictures, girl – my family loves doing the same thing to me… but I guess it’s my own fault for continuously acting like a dork 😉 And Elf is probably one of my favorite holiday movies… The lines “You sit on a throne of lies,” and “You smell like beef and cheese” get tossed around quite a bit…

Haha. LOVE the photo. My husband does similar things–he thinks he is so hilarious 😉

I think Elf is totally hilarious. We tend to quote about sugar & candy canes when we talk about what to have for dinner. HAH

Haha, I love your headlamp! When the power goes out, I guess you have to make do with what you’ve got! I won Elf and Christmas Vacation in a gift exchange this weekend, and I love both of them! I quote Elf all the time….

Oh gosh, I grew up on Home Alone although I think they could have stopped with the second one. What, I think they are up to 5 or 6 sequels now and they just aren’t the same! My favorite Christmas movie is It’s a Wonderful Life. We watch it ever single Christmas Eve.

I met a guy once named Todd, and I am pretty sure by the end of the night he wanted to shoot me for how many times I asked him why the carpet was wet. But lemon drop shots will do that to you.
    I got my rooomate in college a shirt that said “Merry Christmas! Sh*tters full!”. Vulgar but I love it.
    Also, “If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am now”
    “Every time Catherine revved up the microwave, I’d piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour or so”

wow. Apparently my friends and I really like potty humor.

There are simply too many favorites to choose just one…but we say a lot of the same quotables all year long as you do too. But one of the top that you didn’t include was “SQUIRRREEEEELLLLLL”

And from Elf “smiling is my favorite”.

Haha I would watch Elf any time of the year “Us elves like to follow the 4 main food groups: Candy, Candy Cane, Candy Corn and SYRUP!!!”

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

XO Samantha

38. Courtney says

Love Actually:

“Yes! To a fantastic place called Wisconsin”
    “I HATE Uncle Jamie!”
    “I know I seems an insane person – because I hardly knows you – but sometimes things are so transparency, they don’t need evidential proof. And I will inhabit here, or you can inhabit with me in England”

39. Jen W says

I adore Elf for all the hilarious quotes. My 2 favorite holiday movies are The Shop Around the Corner (watch it!! It’s the inspiration for You’ve Got Mail and it’s got Jimmy Stewart) and Love Actually.

My husband and I say “Just in cases” to each other all the time cause we’re sappy like that.

40. Natalie G says

My kids and I quote lines from Home Alone and Elf all year long. Our favorites are also “Keep the change you filthy animal” and “Get your yella no-good keister off my property….” and from Elf “Does someone need a hug?” the smiling one, and about a dozen others. They make me laugh every time!

Haha, reading through your Christmas Vacation quotes was making me laugh. My family and I definitely quote that movie all year long. Especially “I don’t know, Margo!” We watched it last night – it’s an annual tradition – and I think it just gets funnier every time. I think pretty much the whole movie is quotable. I love when Ellen says “She’ll see it later, her eyes are frozen” about Audrey when they’re getting their tree. And “It’s not going in our yard, it’s going in our living room.” And “Merry Christmas, kiss my ass, kiss his ass, happy Hannukah.” So many good ones!!

42. Cristina says

I seriously watch Home Alone every Christmas with my sister; we’ve been watching it ever since I can remember! Awesome to see we’re not the only ones who watch ‘old’ movies during the Holidays! =)