Holiday Movies You Quote Throughout the Year

Ryan has a habit of snapping pictures of me on his phone when I’m looking extremely ridiculous. Yes, I have a husband who enjoys capturing pictures of me making an ass of myself. (Example: Picture a photo of my adult-size body crammed into a tiny Power Wheels car driving it around my mother-in-law’s lawn over Thanksgiving. Fueled by sangria.)

When I went to upload my photos from breakfast this morning, I noticed some new additions to our iCloud folder of pictures. Ryan’s phone automatically uploads his phone photos to our desktop and I laughed out loud when I saw the picture he snapped of me wrapping presents with the headlamp from Monday night’s blackout

headlamp wrapping presents

Isn’t that how everyone wraps holiday gifts?

We are a rare breed of human.

Holiday Movies You Quote Throughout the Year

The holiday fun continued in the Fagan household last night!

Ryan and I parked our butts on the couch with our salmon dinner just in time to watch Home Alone.

Salmon Dinner

Plus extra dark hot chocolate for dessert!

Hot Chocolate

Home Alone is one of my favorite holiday movies. It also happens to be one of the holiday movies we seem to quote in our house throughout the year.

One of the best lines from Home Alone?

“Buzz! Your girlfriend! Woof!”

Buzz Your Girlfriend Woof

(Fun fact I learned from Brittany last night when I Instagramed that photo: Buzz’s girlfriend is actually a boy. The director thought it would be too mean to make fun of a girl.)

As we watched Home Alone last night, I realized there are a lot lines from holiday movies that we seem to quote year-round.

Some of our favorites:

Home Alone:

• “Buzz! Your girlfriend! Woof!”
  • “Look what you did you little jerk!”
  • “Keep the change you filthy animal.”
  • Some variation of “get your no-good keister off my property” because I can never remember that line word-for-word.

Christmas Vacation:

• “Can I refill your eggnong? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?”
  • “I wanna get you something… really nice.”
  • “Shitter’s full!”
  • “How could things get any worse? We’re at the threshold of hell.”
  • “It’s Christmas and we’re all in misery.”
  • “We’re gonna have the hap- hap- happiest Christmas!”
  • “Why is the carpet all wet, Todd? I don’t know Margo.”
  • “Grace? She passed away 30 years ago!” “The BLESSING.”
  • “I’m gonna catch it in the coat… and smack it with the hammer.”

Elf:

• “Bye, Buddy! Hope you find your dad.” “Thanks, Mr. Narwhal.”
  • “Buddy the Elf. What’s your favorite color?”
  • “Son of a NUTcracker!”
  • “He’s an angry elf.”
  • “I just like to smile. Smiling’s my favorite.”

Question of the Morning

• What is your favorite holiday movie?
  • Do you quote holiday movies throughout the year? Any favorite quotes?

Comments

1. Cathryn says

I’m pretty sure the most used holiday quote my friends and I share is from Home Alone:
    “Get upstairs Kevin!” “I am upstairs dummy.” or from Christmas Vacation, “He’s gonna find the happiest bunch of a**holes this side of the nut house!”

I definitely quote Elf the most. On top of the staple “I like to smile. Smiling’s my favorite” and “Buddy the Elf! What’s your favorite color?” I love – “SANTAAAAAA! I know him!” and “You smell like beef & cheese. You don’t smell like Santa.”

3. Lauren B. says

Christmas Vacation is one of my favs and definitely GE most quotable in our family… All I the ones you mentioned, and then…
    ” I don’t know about the cat, but I sure am enjoying it.”

“Naww, he’s just yakking on a bone.”

“Don’t you go Fallin’ in love with it, cuz we’re taking it with us when we leave next month.”

The Cousin Eddie quotes are endless!

4. Laura says

My hubby and i were watching Home Alone last night too! I havent watched it in about 20 years though and i was thoroughly entertained!
    I always say “Nobody wants a CHARLIE in the box” from Rudolph
    and “Smiling is my favorite!” from Elf. Love Elf!

My brothers absolute favorite line is the Home Alone “look what you did you little jerk”! It is a great one that I hear all year long for sure! I just taped Home Alone – I can’t wait to watch it now! Home Alone, Love Actually and Elf are probably my top three holiday movies – I also love Christmas Vacation, though!

Oh I’m definitely feeling you on the ridiculous pictures, girl – my family loves doing the same thing to me… but I guess it’s my own fault for continuously acting like a dork ;) And Elf is probably one of my favorite holiday movies… The lines “You sit on a throne of lies,” and “You smell like beef and cheese” get tossed around quite a bit…

Haha. LOVE the photo. My husband does similar things–he thinks he is so hilarious ;)

I think Elf is totally hilarious. We tend to quote about sugar & candy canes when we talk about what to have for dinner. HAH

Haha, I love your headlamp! When the power goes out, I guess you have to make do with what you’ve got! I won Elf and Christmas Vacation in a gift exchange this weekend, and I love both of them! I quote Elf all the time….

Oh gosh, I grew up on Home Alone although I think they could have stopped with the second one. What, I think they are up to 5 or 6 sequels now and they just aren’t the same! My favorite Christmas movie is It’s a Wonderful Life. We watch it ever single Christmas Eve.

I met a guy once named Todd, and I am pretty sure by the end of the night he wanted to shoot me for how many times I asked him why the carpet was wet. But lemon drop shots will do that to you.
    I got my rooomate in college a shirt that said “Merry Christmas! Sh*tters full!”. Vulgar but I love it.
    Also, “If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am now”
    “Every time Catherine revved up the microwave, I’d piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour or so”

wow. Apparently my friends and I really like potty humor.

There are simply too many favorites to choose just one…but we say a lot of the same quotables all year long as you do too. But one of the top that you didn’t include was “SQUIRRREEEEELLLLLL”

And from Elf “smiling is my favorite”.

Haha I would watch Elf any time of the year “Us elves like to follow the 4 main food groups: Candy, Candy Cane, Candy Corn and SYRUP!!!”

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

XO Samantha

13. Courtney says

Love Actually:

“Yes! To a fantastic place called Wisconsin”
    “I HATE Uncle Jamie!”
    “I know I seems an insane person – because I hardly knows you – but sometimes things are so transparency, they don’t need evidential proof. And I will inhabit here, or you can inhabit with me in England”

14. Jen W says

I adore Elf for all the hilarious quotes. My 2 favorite holiday movies are The Shop Around the Corner (watch it!! It’s the inspiration for You’ve Got Mail and it’s got Jimmy Stewart) and Love Actually.

My husband and I say “Just in cases” to each other all the time cause we’re sappy like that.

15. Natalie G says

My kids and I quote lines from Home Alone and Elf all year long. Our favorites are also “Keep the change you filthy animal” and “Get your yella no-good keister off my property….” and from Elf “Does someone need a hug?” the smiling one, and about a dozen others. They make me laugh every time!

Haha, reading through your Christmas Vacation quotes was making me laugh. My family and I definitely quote that movie all year long. Especially “I don’t know, Margo!” We watched it last night – it’s an annual tradition – and I think it just gets funnier every time. I think pretty much the whole movie is quotable. I love when Ellen says “She’ll see it later, her eyes are frozen” about Audrey when they’re getting their tree. And “It’s not going in our yard, it’s going in our living room.” And “Merry Christmas, kiss my ass, kiss his ass, happy Hannukah.” So many good ones!!

17. Cristina says

I seriously watch Home Alone every Christmas with my sister; we’ve been watching it ever since I can remember! Awesome to see we’re not the only ones who watch ‘old’ movies during the Holidays! =)