10 Miles

With the glorious chilly temperatures hovering through the morning in Ocala today, I decided to shuffle my workout schedule around a bit and tackle the long run on my half marathon training plan for the week around lunchtime today.

Sadie was amped as usual and basically pulled me through our entire 10 mile run.

vizsla running

We ran a ginormous loop around town and finished 10 miles in 1 hour and 30 minutes (9:05 minute mile pace).

garmin 305

I’m not sure how or why my pace per mile seems to be dropping as I increase the mileage of my long runs, but I’ll take it! I think a lot of it has to do with the cooler weather. It is 10 times more pleasant to run outside when the heat doesn’t make you feel like your face is going to melt off.

Lunch

Lunch was top-of-mind after a quick post-run shower.

I made breakfast for lunch: Scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese, topped with 1/2 of an avocado and served with a buttered English muffin on the side.

breakfast for lunch

English Muffin buttered

I basically inhaled my lunch and before I knew it I was back in the pantry looking for more food.

I spy, with my little eye, salted pistachios!!!

Harry & David pistachios

I bought a bag of Harry & David pistachios as a stocking stuffer for Ryan for Christmas and think I may need to replace them since I ate more than my fair share out of his bag today. Sharing is caring, right? I just couldn’t stop eating them this afternoon. The saltiness called to me!

I hope you’re all having a great Friday out there! Our plans for the weekend are very low key, which sounds perfect to me. I’m hoping to make it to the movies at some point to see Les Miserables. Have any of you seen it yet? Thoughts? I absolutely love musicals, but have never seen Les Mis. I think a lot of the music is beautiful, so I’m anxious to see it!

Comments

great job! i can’t imagine running in the middle of the day. i prefer going early in the morning- like 5am, early. something about getting it over with before anything else, i guess. plus i hate running when the sun is up- not sure how that’ll fly during my race in a couple of months! :/ do you wear sunglasses? any brand you would recommend?
    funny about your pace picking up for your long runs. i’ve noticed that i have been much faster on my weekend long runs than my mid-week long runs. weird how that works! i think i get much more excited about doing 13 miles vs 7…..
    i’m crunching on pistachios, right now, too :) SO good!

2. Kayla says

I love musicals too but I saw Les Mis this weekend and did not like it at all! I was bored until like the last 10 minutes! You may enjoy it since others I saw it with did. It just wasn’t for me!

Nice job on your run, Julie! Running in cooler temperatures can make a world of difference. When I trained for my half-marathon this summer, I made sure my run would be complete by 8 a.m. at the least; I can’t take heat and humidity, ha! I really, really want to see Les Mis–let us know if you like it!

Congrats on your 10 miler! Your an inspiration for my half marathon training! Les mis was awesome!!! It’s long but incredibly well done and the music is great!

5. Alena says

Just saw les mis on Wednesday and I had never seen it! Music blew me away and I didn’t expect the acting to be that good but it was superb!! Absolutely amazing!!

6. Christina says

I thought les mis was wonderful and VERY emotional!! Because I know most of the songs by heart, I was a little disappointed that the singing wasn’t quite up to “broadway standards.” I still thought it was a great movie, but beware there is pretty much no “speaking”…all singing! Haha

I saw Les Mis this week with a friend. I’m not quite sure what drew me to it, since I normally don’t like musicals. I can’t watch Rent or Chicago. However, I LOVED Les Mis and it kept me completely engaged for all 3 hours. It is a MUST see. I highly, highly recommend it. I may even see it again :)

Great job killing that 10 miles! I can’t even imagine running in the Florida heat…I honestly don’t think I’d be able to do it. And we had pistachios at my parents’ over Christmas this past week…mmm they’re SO good. I need to buy some of my own now!

9. Sara says

Nice 10 miles! I’m so jealous it is warm there. Here visiting my family in PA and I did my 10 miles this morning on the TM at the gym. Hope you have a lovely weekend :)

Great job on the 10 miles, especially at such an excellent pace! I absolutely LOVED Les Mis, but I highly recommend taking some tissues with you. I’m not a big crier but I was a mess!

I’ve seen Les Mis at a local theatre, but it wasn’t anything professional. I’ve only heard amazing things about the movie so far, and I’m really hoping I get out to see it too!

Les Mis is absolutely wonderful! I was so excited to see it the other day, and it absolutely surpassed my expectations. They actually did this musical different than most musical movies in that they did all the singing live, rather than recording it a few months before filming and then lip-syncing. It’s not a theatre musical so the quality or tone of their voices may surprise people but I think it adds to the genuineness of the story – it’s really truthful and raw, which makes it so great. I hope you enjoy it!!!

13. Tayler says

Les Mis was absolutely amazing! I don’t normally like musicals, or lengthy movies, but I was glued to the screen the whole time. Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman will def. be nominated for an Oscar. Even my boyfriend really liked it, so that made me really happy! The music was great and I am on the hunt for the soundtrack. BTW great job on the ten miles, I’m just trying to get in shape for the Color Run in Orlando in January.

Yeah, take the tissues, the whole theater was sniffling! We have always loved Les Mis, it’s my husbands favorite and is really a great story. If you like Broadway shows you should definitely see it live, but I enjoyed the movie because sometimes at a live show it’s hard to understand all the words or figure out exactly what’s happening from where you’re sitting and how the stage is set up, you know? I can see how people that have seen it live don’t really enjoy the movie, but if you go into it knowing it’s going to be somewhat different you can adjust your expectations. Highly recommend the movie, but if you ever get the chance to see it live you have to! :)

15. Kelly says

Hi julie i wandered what you liked using better. your garmin or runkeeper on your phone? i just got a garmin but im used to runkeeper. thoughts? thanks

16. Kerry says

I literally just got out of the theatre 10 minutes ago and it was GREAT, just a little long. Warning: don’t drink before, or during the first half of the movie. Haha

17. Erika says

I saw Les Mis on Christmas Day and it was amazing!! I am a huge fan and it was one of the first musicals I ever heard. (Phantom being the other.) I listened to it on a record way back when! I tried so hard not to sing along to all the songs. It was so hard!! Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway will win Oscars. Enjoy!

Pistachios – my faaave!
    Great run – it’s been too long since I’ve gotten in a long run. yikes. :(

I haven’t seen Les Mis yet. I’m a huge musical/broadway fan, so hoping to check it out soon. Let us know if you like it!

19. Amanda says

Awesome run, but be careful! Increasing speed + distance is how I got my plaguing runners knee that I’ve had forever and can’t even run .25mi now. :/ good luck :)

Congrats on the 10 miler! I understand that ravenous feeling; last time I had a long run, I inhaled Christmas cookies! Not the most nutritious, but tasty? Very :)

whew nice job on your 10 miler! i’m finally up to 3 miles now (getting a head start on my 2013 resolution ;)) i can’t wait to run in the 50s though… we’ll be in the single digits a little longer here in MT though! yikes!

Hi!! I love your blog and have a question about weddings. I was reading through your posts and wasn’t sure if I posted on a wedding section that you would see it. Where did you find your dress? I know you’re from Florida, and I’ve been shopping with some friends in St. Petersburg. Also, love the Vinoy, it’s so pretty!!

I loved the first 15 minutes of Les Mis, but that’s all I saw because the emergency alarm in the movie theater went off and everyone had to evacuate. The theater wound up cancelling all screenings for the rest of the evening too so we weren’t able to catch a later showing. I blogged about it because it was such an unusual experience. Fortunately nothing serious happened and nobody was in danger. I went running around the lake adjacent to the theater complex the next day and the entire place looked fine–nobody would have ever known that anything happened there unless someone told them.

My Christmas gift to my MIL, SIL, and aunt was lunch and tickets to Les Mis…it was AMAZING!!! I love musicals, and even though I embarassingly admit that I knew nothing about the movie/book beforehand, it was one of the best movies that I’ve seen. I truly enjoyed it.

I have always loved the musical version of Les Mis and I thought the movie was incredible – the story is so powerful and emotional and the actors did a great job of portraying that. I definitely cried a lot and afterwards had this overwhelming feeling of how insignificant my own problems are, haha. You’ll have to report back on how you liked it!

26. Carly says

Oh my goodness I saw Les Mis at the beginning of the week and was soooo disappointed. It had so many great actors/actresses in it, and the music was absolutely beautiful… HOWEVER, it was so depressing!! I know the musical is depressing (I’ve seen it on stage before), but something about seeing it on screen made it overwhelming. Just make sure you don’t let it consume you!

27. Casey says

Great job on the run!! I would like to train for my second half marathon, but after the injuries I sustained in the first one, I’m nervous! As for Les Mis, I would love to see it as well, even though I have no idea what it is about. I do enjoy Anne Hathaway!

28. Emily says

Nice job! I ran 13 this morning and 11 on Christmas!! These are my two longest runs since battling through a femoral stress fracture last July! Felt awesome, hope yours did too!! Congrats!

29. Anne Marie says

Just curious if you were going to do another post on your workout playlist! Or if you added any new songs since you have been trainer for this half marathon! :) thanks