Loving Long Runs

Did any of you guys make a special New Year’s Day dinner last night to hopefully bring a little luck your way in 2013?

For as long as I can remember, my mom always made pork, black-eyed peas and sauerkraut for dinner on New Year’s Day. These foods, along with a handful of others, are said to bring luck in the new year and since I like all of these foods anyway, I figured I’d keep the tradition going and prepared a meal centered around these “lucky” foods last night.

Though all of the sauerkraut was consumed last night (I love the stuff), there were some leftovers remaining that I threw together in a bowl for lunch today.

pork collard greens black eyed peas

I tossed leftover sautéed collard greens with the remaining black-eyed peas before topping the greens with sliced pork.

new year's day  lucky food

Just as good the second day!

Loving Long Runs

Right before lunch today, I took a brief 30-minute break to run three miles with Sadie.

3 mile run time

Something that seems to happen to me every time I train for a half marathon is happening to me again. I am loving my long runs, but find my midweek runs rather boring. I’m trying to vary the distance and pace of my midweek runs a bit to fight some of this boredom which is helping. Still, long runs are far and away my favorite part of half marathon training.

Each long run feels like an amazing accomplishment. When my long run is over, I am hit with a wonderful sense of satisfaction that I cannot seem to get from any other workout. While I’m out running a long run, I feel at peace. I fall into a groove and just go. Though my body may be struggling (running is never easy for me), my mind is clear as I focus on achieving a new distance record in my latest half marathon training plan.

This week I will be running 11 miles and I’ve already started to psych myself up for it!

Questions of the Afternoon

• Have you ever trained for a race or athletic competition of some sort? What was your favorite part of training?
  • Do you hope to train for a race or athletic competition this year? Any big goals out there?

Comments

I’m training for a half too right now! I think the shorter runs are more boring because they’re not as challenging! I love my long runs but definitely find myself getting bored and less motivated when I see 2 or 3 miles for that day. Your half is soon, right?!

2. Audrey Adams says

I love long runs! It’s tough mentally to keep going but it’s really amazing that our bodies can run long like that. I ran 14 this past weekend and by the time I was done, I felt so awesome. Its simply the best feeling when you’re half a mile away from your distance goal. Going back down to 10 this weekend, then back up to 13 the next weekend.

I hope I feel the same way about long runs when I start to train for a half marathon this summer! I planned to run my first half marathon race last year, but it didn’t happen due to some health stuff so I’m making 2013 the year for it to happen! Our baby is due at the beginning of April, so I’m hoping to start training in the early summer and run the race in late summer/early fall. I figured it’d be a good way for me to get back in shape and get into running again. I can’t wait!

• Veronika says

Ashley- Congratulations!!! I have a baby due at the beginning of March and also hope to start marathon training ( again) in the late spring/ early summer. You’re absolutley right, running is an awesome way to get in shape. Good luck with the baby and with training!!! 🙂

This post made me really think about long runs. I dread them. I love running long races, because the excitement is enough to keep me engaged, but long runs bore me, and I’m usually doing them on weekends when there is SO MUCH to do already, so I feel like I’m taking up valuable weekend time to run for more than an hour.

I like your attitude. It’s almost like you’re treating it as a mini-race – what a GREAT idea!! I’m going to use this strategy when I start training for my next half marathon.

Thanks, Julie!

I do enjoy a good long run and how accomplished I feel afterwards! I feel like I can conquer anything. I have a few half marathons this year and am considering running the Marathon in memory of the lives lost at Newtown, never in my life have I wanted to run a full marathon but this one I feel like I need to do!

I ran cross country and track in college, so to answer your question yes I have trained for running events lol 😉 Keep rocking the half marathon training you are doing awesome! I’m currently training for a half marathon also. It’s not until March so I have some time but I’m excited! My goal is to keep 7:00 min pace… we shall see.

Love your attitude! I hope this is what happens to me! I am currently training for my first half marathon (race is March 2) and I’ve just started to get into what are ‘long’ runs for me. I did 7 miles this past weekend, a new PDR for me!

Thanks for the motivation!

8. Fizz @ fizzsbizz says

I’m running my first half marathon in April and I’m so excited!!
    My longest run so far was 6 miles so I know I have a long way to go but I was really proud of myself for finishing 6.2 miles!

Good luck for your race!!

Long runs are my favorite too for the very reasons you mentioned 🙂 I’m running my first half marathon in March (Rock and Roll D.C.). My goal is to run at least four this year with some 10Ks, too. I ran my first 10K last September and was able to run one more in October before the end of year. I caught the itch to race haha and have been trying to save money for them ever since. Hoping to do a lot more with them this year 🙂

I am the same way when training. I find that 3-5 mile runs become mundane and I just really enjoy the longer runs! Now a 5 mile run is great for me, but only because I don’t usually run further than that since I stopped training for a race.

I’m currently training for my first marathon (started yesterday!) I’ve done a few half marathons and a 25k in the past and loved them! I haven’t done much running since having my son so hopefully I can pull this off! Thanks for having such motivational posts!

I love training for halves. The long runs are long….yet remain accessible (know what I mean?) I have the Miami Marathon (which will be my first after this past Nov’s NYC Marathon that wasn’t) at the end of January, but I’m having training fatigue at the crazy distances. 20 miles this Sunday. Ugh.

After that I have the NYC Half as my “next up” in March and I CAN’T WAIT to start the training for the Half Marathon distance, which I am COMFORTABLE with and which I LOVE.

In order to mix it up mid-week, I make an effort to make at least one of my short runs with a group or with friends, and for me that helps me keep it fresh! I’m a social runner through and through!

13. Cathryn says

I was a swimmer in college so my life has been dedicated to competitions. During the practices leading up to our conference meet I always loved hearing that my pace times were getting faster, it made me feel like I was ready to race! I’m transitioning into a runner now and I love it!

I wish I was more of a runner. I’m hoping when it gets a little warmer to start up the Couch 2 5K again. I’d love to run our local firecracker this July 4th!

Training for the full RNR marathon this year (once my darn foot heals! GRrrrrr!!!) My favorite part of training is the long runs. I used to get bored with the mid week runs until I decided to spice things up. So, one day I run with the stroller for added resistance and let me tell you – that helps power. One day, I’ll do a tempo run or an interval run to keep it interesting, but sometimes interval runs can make the time go by slowly because I keep looking at my watch. Also, sometimes I play games with myself like, if I’m doing a trail run, I’ll pick a tree a few yards ahead and I’ll see how fast I can run to it. Then I’ll run at my normal pace for a little while to recover and then pick another tree and time myself again. It’s kind of silly, but it keeps things interesting.

Last night I made my first ever batch of Hoppin’ John, vegetarian style and it was delish! Definitely a tradition I want to continue in the years to come. I am running the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May of this year, and I am leading a training group. Training starts on Wednesday January 23, and although I am excited I am so nervous! The long miles seem scary at the beginning, but once I get started my body honestly takes over and it leaves me feeling so accomplished!! Good luck with your long run this weekend!

I started training today for a 10k race today that I hope to run in April or early May. I did one a few years ago and want to improve on my time (I am SO slow!!). 😉

18. Deanne says

I am just starting running. I never enjoyed running before and used to HATE it in school, in fact I would avoid it and walk. I did my first 5km yesterday and walkd that too. I had hoped it would be a warm up to my 5km in February but I pulled a calf muscle before Christmas and then got super sick on Christmas Eve. Then it was really icy on the run, I almost baled so many times even though I was only walking. Right now 5km seems hard and I am no where near running that distance straight. One day maybe, I hope. I am enjoying getting better, running a little longer or feeling a little less dead after. If only it would warm up a little more so training would be more enjoyable!

We had black-eyed peas last night – my first time trying them (and I like them!). We usually have a pork roast and sauerkraut, too. 🙂 I also had waffles for b-fast, because I personally feel like you can’t start a year out on the right foot without pancakes or waffles in your system for extra luck.

My mom made basically the same dinner for my dad last night!

I’ve tried training for a 10 mile race. I hated the training but loved the pre-race atmosphere and the finish. I’m hoping to change outlook on training this year.

Oh, how I can relate! Long runs during half training were like icing on the cake for me. Getting through it was so tough, but afterward, I felt like telling every stranger “I just ran 10 miles!!!!!!!!” I was so high off my accomplishment. And this is totally why I am addicted to running now, because it gives me a sense of amazing accompishment that not many can claim. Glad to hear you are enjoying just one of the many benefits of running.

I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve ever heard of foods for luck in the New Year, but this is the second blog post I’ve read today with reference to those foods and now I know why. Thanks for shedding light on a very cool tradition!

You can’t beat the long run satisfaction, a real sense of accomplishment. I was running one 16km run a week, just under 11 miles until my achilles started at me…such a pain, so frustrating only being able to do short distances occasionally…lots of strengthening to get back to it!

24. Jenn B says

I’m running 2 half marathons and my first marathon. I’m also signing up for a Tough Mudder! I love following realistic training plans an can’t wait to start training for my first ‘big’ race of the year!

That Garmin is the hugest thing I’ve ever seen, haha!!!

I used to make black eyed peas on NYD, but this year I’m sick and didn’t get around to it. Hope I didn’t jinx myself!

26. Brooke Doughtie says

I too enjoy the long runs more. I sometimes feel like the midweek shorter runs are actually harder. Probably because we pick up the face. There is a group of ladies in my town I run with. We have done a few halfs together and now we are training for a full! We are excited! Good luck on your training. I enjoy your blog so much.

27. laura says

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the pork and black eyed peas?! I miss your blog when you used to post dinner recipes! I know I would love it ( and maybe others too) if you incorporated more recipes for “easy” dinners, too! I am always looking for simple inspiration!

Your left overs look great! Would love to see the main meal from last night, too 🙂

• laura says

sorry, that was rude.. didn’t mean for it to come off that way & i cannot figure out how to delete my comment! I cannot even imagine how you respond to even a 1/3 of blog comments.. you should be applauded for your efforts to even respond at all! I WOULD love to see more of your dinner-time recipes, though 🙂 I didn’t mean to sound so harsh and rude, though, and after re-reading it, it kind of sounds that I’m snarking. Nothing but love for you, Julie 🙂

• Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers says

No worries at all! I should share more dinner recipes. Thanks so much for the feedback! As for the pork, I just sautéed it on the stovetop in a little bit of olive oil and sprinkled it with thyme and cumin. Then I added can of drained and rinsed black-eyed peas. And finally, I added the collard greens which I first boiled and water.

• laura says

Great, thank you so much for responding. That sounds easy, but I would have never thought to use thyme on pork…that’s why i like hearing what you did! You provide more inspiration for cooking than you know, even when it’s relatively simple. Just nice to hear how you prepare your meals. THANKS!!

I’m so glad you are loving your long runs! I’ve trained for several races and also LOVE the runner’s high that comes after completing the long runs. I’m living vicariously through you right now since I’m pregnant with twin girls and won’t be able to train for a longer race for a while! 🙂

I’m currently in the middle of having different surgeries to basically rearrange my legs so no major running for me. The most I can handle is the elliptical. I CANNOT WAIT until these surgeries are done so thatI can start training for real. My bucket list goal is to run a full marathon!

Oh my goodness, these days a long run for me is 3 miles, ha!! One of my goals is to start running more this year and do a couple races though I highly doubt it will include a half but hey, you never know!!

My question: How do you find routes to run for your 6+ mile runs? I live in a rural neighborhood that is only about a mile around and the streets around us have no sidewalks so my running paths are limited. Do you just head out the door or do you have a specific place you run?

Julie- I feel the same way! There is nothing like a a long run. Even if it’s not that good, it is still great because of the distance. Coming from someone who has only done one half before, I truly agree when you say that no workout satisfies you like a long run. After I complete a long run, I feel invincible!

Unfortunately it is SO cold in Boston around this time so long runs that are outdoors are far and few between. Long runs on the treadmill can become daunting. I am training (well am going to start to) for a 10 miler in March followed by a half in May. Can’t wait, this post just reminded me how much I love to run! 🙂

32. Laura says

I had never heard of eating black-eyed peas for luck on New Years until I started dating my boyfriend. My family always eats pork, sauerkraut and potatoes. Last year I tried black-eyed peas for the first time and 2012 was probably the worst year of my life! This year it was back to the German feast for me!

I have never trained for any races or marathons but I am interested in doing so!! There is a 6 mile trail run in my area in April. I don’t know if I will be ready by then but I am definitely gonna try for it!

34. CoMo says

I ran my first race in 2010, my first 1/2 marathon in 2011 and my first (only) marathon in 2012! Long run’s are sometimes brutal, but SO REWARDING! Last summer the heat was on high most day’s so beating my distance records on top of finding way’s to beat the heat made long runs even more rewarding! My second fave part of training is doing it with my hubby! We met at a race and both have BIG LOVE for running!

This year I plan to complete another (second) full marathon, would like to PR in a half and am going to shoot for a triathalon this year. Might be a 1/2 IronMan…or, it might be a sprint…not sure! 🙂

• says

Triathlons are awesome! They are so much more fun than straight running races. I started as a runner and then converted. Triathlete for life :). 70.3 Boulder is a great half Ironman. Fast and relatively flat (most people think it would be super hilly, but it’s not). Only issue is altitude if you live at sea level. Have a great year of races!

I just ran my first (and last) marathon on NYE. Absolutely brutal and the rainy and cold weather did not help! That being said, I am looking forward to ‘normal’ distances like half marathons. Longer runs are definitely great for the soul. Hoping this year to get a few half marathons in and improve my times.

36. Tricia says

I agree with you, I just started training again and i can’t wait for that accomplishment. I will never forget the first time i hit 8 miles in Central Park i was so proud of myself, now i’m training for my 3rd half. Question for you : Do you do tempo/speed work during the week when training? im trying to beat my other times.

I’m thinking about running another half this summer… I always have have to think ahead to make sure sure that key training doesn’t need to happen when I’m on vacation or out of town.

I also plan on running the Soldier Field 10 Mile (Chicago gal here) – it’s such a fun one!

I am training for my first full marathon. My favorite part of training is my long run but not because of boredom or anything. I like seeing how far I can push myself. I am so proud of myself each week if there is an increase in mileage. I did my first 16 miler last weekend. It was exhausting running through 16 miles of snow but I was so proud that I did it.

I have a couple of running/training goals this year: 1) run 700 miles (up from 624 in 2012); and 2) run a sub-25 minute 5k. This is my first “speed” goal in a long time, because I normally go for distance. This will force me to shake things up a little bit, which is not a bad thing! Happy running!

I agree with you, short runs when I was training for my last half were my least favorite! I’m running the Disney Princess Half in February. I haven’t started seriously training yet, eeek!

I’ve never trained for a marathon and don’t really have any aspirations to. Plus, my IT band won’t really allow it anyways. 😉 I get bored on long runs or doing long cardio sessions of any sort really. I like to keep things short, but effective. However, I would be up for doing one of those fun-looking color runs or mud obstacle courses. 😀 Enjoy your 11 miler this week!

running is like a drugs to me when I am in the groove. I have done two half marathons and training period is like a love-hate relationship for me. Due to cold weather i have stopped lately but I am planning on starting back on track. Also, I m going to look more into good luck food for new years, never heard of it before. this year I missed it, so maybe for next year 🙂

43. Kira says

How are you able to do long runs without aching?! I really want to run a half marathon but I find it difficult to go on long runs without getting shin splints and my shoulders (for some odd reason!) ache and I just have to stop! Any advice?

• Tara says

Kira-sounds like you may be hunching/ your shoulders when you run. I had a problem with aches in my shoulders and I realized I needed to relax them more when running…….if you have ever taken a spin class, you may hear the instructor informing you to ‘lower and loosen your shoulders’ same goes for running.
      Its something I have to remind myself to check on when I go longer distance, but its definitely improved the aches!
      Hope that helps!

44. Tara says

I just signed up for my first half, and I do not have alot of ‘long runs’ under my shoes!
    I did find something to motivate me for longer runs though.
    I usually do a 6-7 mile loop around my hood. This can get boring, its also the same route for my 3-4miles.
    So, on the weekends, I do a different route-to the next town over (7 mile run) and have my husband meet me at our favorite diner for breakfast!
    This way I get in my miles, get my protein fill (and chocolate milk!) and a ride back home : )

45. Katie says

Do you like your Garmin Forerunner 305? I am in the market to get a GPS/Heart rate monitor and would love to hear what you think about it! I am totally lost with all my options. I have also been looking at Polar monitors. I am not sure which direction to take. Thought I would give it a shot and ask you 🙂

BTW, I made my husband and I turnip greens, blackeyed peas, mac-n-cheese, and cornbread last night. Hoping for some of that financial luck this year! Totally forgot about pork, I will have to do that in 2014 😉

I was always the same way when I was training for a half-marathon. I hated the mid-week runs, but I always “enjoyed” my long runs. Like you, it was never ‘easy’ for me, but I felt such an awesome sense of accomplishment after it was over!

Happy New Year! When it comes to running, I always have to create tricks so keep me going. I’m not a natural runner at all so I definitely struggle too. I like running with others and one trick you could try is to change your running path. It can be fun navigating around a new area and keep you distracted! Keep it up!

My biggest goal this year is to achieve a PR in the half marathon distance. I will be running half marathon #6 this year, and I have written the goal down on a piece of paper in flashy colours so I will always stay focused! I find it’s easy for me to focus on a goal when it is written down and eye catching.

The best thing for me about training is the accomplishment you feel after each training run. I completed eight miles yesterday, and I was flying on cloud nine for the whole entire day. Running clears my mind and kicks my ass all at the same time – so good!

49. Alex says

Happy New Year!!!!

Last summer I helped out with a relay run called Ragnar. You make up a team of 12 runners and it is a relay run that is about 200 miles. Each runners runs 3 different legs. This is the one we do http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/greatriver. My goal is to run on a team this summer for the August 2013 ragnar relay. It was very interesting and you live out of a van for 2 days. Runners even run overnight.

Hi Julie! Yes I trained for my first half marathon too last summer and I got those same feelings!

I would mentally prepare myself by making sure I got plenty of good carbs in me the day before a long run (who doesn’t love an excuse to make some pasta!) and then I would feel completely ready to conquer the new longer distance!

I would run those runs so slow at times but I never stopped! That was the key for me; I promised myself I could go as slow as I needed. Even if grandmas walking passed me 😉

Good luck on your 11 mile run; you will do great!

I like the long weekend training (biking or running) the best too mid week sessions are usually interval or tempo so I still like them but I love to get out and just run or ride “easy” for hours. My big goal for 2013 is to finish my second ironman in less than 14 hours.

My goals are to run my first 10-miler and 1/2 marathon! I got hooked on the running drug a few years back and have run over 10 5Ks. I bookmarked your current 1/2 marathon plan to do later this year! Great idea about crossing runs off. PS, your blog is awesome!

53. Lisa says

I love running half marathons but am not the biggest fan of long runs. I absolutely love the rush and accomplishment I get after running a half marathon. One of my close friends and I run half marathons together and we help keep each other motivated. This year I’m going to sign up for a sprint triathlon. I’m comfortable with running and biking, but I think the swimming is going to be challenging, especially race day in open water. I’m hoping to get my husband to join me, I always stay motivated when I have a training buddy.

• says

Awesome goal! I love triathlons! Make sure you train in OPEN water! it is completely different from the pool! Stroke counting and spotting are good to practice with the swim:)

Sometimes I feel like I don’t get into a running groove until 6-7 miles! After that point I feel like I could keep running forever! I really struggle in the earlier miles.

To keep short runs feeling like more of an accomplishment I really try and focus on being speedy!

55. Beth says

I love the feeling of jello-legs after a long run. I always come back home and make a big smoothie packed with greek yogurt to recover and just lay on the floor a while! May sound weird, but I like that next-day feeling of having really sore legs because it lets me know I worked hard!

I experience a similar feeling about my mid week runs. It takes me a while to get warmed up and hit my stride, so I definitely enjoy long runs better. After 3 minles, I’m just getting warmed up. I’m doing a half on February 3rd! Good luck on your half!

I definitely know what you mean! When I was training for my half, the short runs got super tedious, but I was able to get pumped for the long runs. I’m so inspired and impressed by your consistency and commitment to your goal – keep it up!

Even though my half-marathon this summer didn’t go as well as planned, I enjoyed training for the 13.1-mile distance. Long runs gave me an opportunity to reflect and zone out, but they didn’t destroy my social calendar (i.e. no super-early bedtimes for 20-plus-mile runs!). And since it was my first half, each long run equated to my new “longest distance run, ever,” which was pretty neat. Looking forward to training for another! 🙂

I am with ya with the short runs. I’m training for my first marathon and the short runs during the week are hard to get into but the long run is great and I totally look forward to them. Keep up the great training.

To motivate me for my mid week runs, I do Tradmaill Tuesday! I pick a treadmill workout that’ll last 35 or so minutes and do them on…you guessed it…Tuesday. For some reason having the name motivates me to actually do a midweek run!

61. Carly says

I love long runs as well! The farther I run the more I get into it and want to just keep going….plus I’m one of those people that loves thinking of my body as a machine…so I love to push myself as far as I can go. 2013 will be the year of my first half marathon and I’m super excited….do something special since I’ll be turning the big 3-0! “) I have a 7 yr old German short hair pointer and the max I like to take her is 6 miles because she is starting to get a little sore after our runs. 6 miles seems to be the sweet spot…and I know it will only go down from there for her distance running. Oh how I hate running without her 🙁

I never realized there were so many “lucky” foods until reading the blogs this year. Now I am dying to try making something with black-eyed peas. Sauerkraut I am not so sure about yet. I tried it several years back and was not fond of it, but would like to try it again soon. I hear it is good on pizza??

I have always felt the same way about long runs while half marathon training. Which is probably once of the reasons I ended up seriously injured after my last half marathon – my mid-week runs bored me so much I neglected them most of the time. Yeah – bad idea.

I am planning to start training in about 2 weeks for a half marathon at the end of April! It will be my first half marathon since February 2011!

I’ve trained for Ironmans, half-Ironmans, Olympic and sprint-distance triathlons, marathons, and half marathons. Every distance has their ups and downs during training. I’ve had a blast competing in my Ironman and 70.3 (half IM) races.

This year, I have a half marathon in March and in May. I’ll be riding bike in the French Alps in July (lots of climbing – good thing I live in Colorado and can train for it). I’m planning on signing up for a couple triathlons as well, as long as the schedule allows. Once your body has trained for so many years, it remembers. You don’t really lose that base. Love it!

Best of luck in your half, Julie!

In the past, the best parts of training have been when I completed the last “long” run before the face–it helped me to know that race day was indeed going to go well!

My goals for 2013 are to complete my first half marathon at the Cleveland Marathon in May 2013 and my first full marathon at the Towpath Marathon in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in October 2013.

Have you ever tried running to a Pandora station? I ran to my 90s rap station last week and it really invigorated me on a really cold and windy day. I see the value of playlists and I definitely plan to keep utilizing my running playlist, but the anticipation of wondering what song was coming up next helped carry me through my runs, and the rush that came when a great song that I hadn’t heard for years came on was an added bonus.

Great job with your half marathon training! I read your Chicago Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon recap which got me really interested in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon series. Now I am training for the Nashville Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon coming up in April. This is the first time that I have stuck to a real training schedule and I’m noticing the same thing about enjoying the long runs much more than the short ones. I have noticed though that doing long runs makes it much harder to make excuses for skipping short runs. Good luck in your upcoming half marathon! Can’t wait to read the recap!

67. Cait Coletti says

Julie, you are awesome! I read your blog religiously and I started my new years resolution early on my 21st birthday (Dec. 23rd) it seemed to fit the occasion! The resolution is to RUN! In November I started running in intervals ( a tip from one of your readers) and doing strength training after I suffered a rut for 3 months. I built up more muscle in my leg and I figured I was strong enough to run and I am! I have been running everyday and it doesn’t matter the speed … just that I am doing it! My mom asked me, “How do you feel after your run?” the answer: Accomplished and Challenged. My body is happy and I can already tell a difference. I have been running 2-2.25 miles everyday with less and less slow downs. You are an inspiration! I thank you for getting me to where I am! Just knowing that I am not a naturally talented runner and don’t have to be really got me thinking!! And I actually LOVE running now! I am working towards a 5K! 🙂 much love to you!

Ugh I hate long runs..and short runs..and running in general 😛 Haha! I’ve never heard that theory about eating lucky foods. Interesting 🙂 Hope it brings you luck for 2013!

I’m running a 10-mile race in April and I’m thinking about registering for a half-marathon afterwards since I’ll already be most of the way there!
    Long runs are a little bit of a struggle for me, I feel amazing when I finish them, but they’re so mental for me, I freak myself out mentally about the length before I even start running.

I am training for my first half marathon right now (well, kind of, I’m giving myself a huge head start so I am starting with a 15k). I am loving the long runs mainly because it gives me time to get into a groove and start thinking about everything going on in my life. I have been doing my best thinking during my runs. The short runs don’t always give me time to think but I do have to admit I like how quickly I finish them!

I am getting back into running and my goal is to run a 10K this spring… the longest race distance I’ll have run. I’m hoping to work myself up to a half marathon by fall. Since high school, I’ve had problems with shin splints and stress fractures from running so my favorite part of training is when my shins don’t hurt!

I have my second half marathon next Saturday–The Walt Disney World Half Marathon. I was training for it in the fall and felt good so thought I’d try for the marathon. While running 16 miles, I injured my knee and it’s not quite back to par so I’m a little nervous about next weekend. I’ve only run 9 miles at the longest since then!