Looking Ahead

I feel like I’ve been out of it when it comes to the excitement surrounding the new year. I’ve seen bloggers and friends write blog posts and Facebook statuses declaring their New Year’s resolutions with enthusiasm.

all the things

I wish I shared their fervor, but I feel like a bit of a Debbie Downer over here since my mind is just thinking, “Welp, it’s January 2013.”

In an effort to drink some of the New Year’s Kool-Aid, last night, after I turned off my bedside lamp and rolled over to try to go to sleep, I let my mind wander and think about what I’m looking forward to in the coming year. One word immediately popped into my mind: Weddings!

Yes, 2013 will be the year of weddings! Right now Ryan and I have five weddings on the books (I’m a bridesmaid in four and he’s a groomsmen in one), so our 2013 will be packed with wedding festivities and fun times with some of our closest friends. I’m thrilled to watch some of my very best girlfriends say “I do!”

The brides-to-be:

Brides to Be

Big events coming up in 2013 (in chronological order):

• ZOOMA Florida half marathon
  • Miami half marathon (I may have a conflict with this race, but I’m really hoping to run it with some of my girlfriends!)
  • NASM exam
  • Family vacation to Machu Picchu
  • Laurel & John’s wedding in Orlando
  • Dad’s 60th birthday
  • Michaela & Kyle’s wedding in Colorado
  • Minda & Clark’s wedding in St. Augustine
  • Ryan’s 30th birthday + Terry & Janelle’s wedding in New Jersey (same day!)
  • Merri & Pete’s wedding in Tallahassee

Plus lots of fun bachelorette parties that haven’t made their way onto my calendar yet!

Lunch

Lunch today was another simple one-bowl meal.

eggs and chicken sausage 017

• Chicken sausage
  • Scrambled eggs (made with a splash of milk and mozzarella cheese)
  • Collard greens

eggs and chicken sausage 022

That’ll do it!

Questions of the Afternoon

• What is one thing you’re really looking forward to in 2013?
  • Have you ever experienced a “year of weddings” when a bunch of your friends or family members got married within the same year?

I have a friend who went to 11 weddings in one year. Insanity!

Comments

1. Megan S. says

I’m looking forward to my own wedding in July and being a part of a friend’s wedding just 2 months prior in May! Then come September I move to Athens, Greece to be with my husband who plays basketball over there. It will be quite a year for me!

11 weddings in one year IS insanity!! Weddings are lots of fun, though. You’ve got lots of fun stuff on the books for 2013….looks like it’s going to be a fabulous year for you! I’ve got a vacation to Panama City/Destin coming up and my 2nd marathon on the agenda.

I looking forward to continuing a journey towards health and watching my 14 month old son grow. If God has other things in store for us… we’ll take them with open arms. It looks like you have a lot to look forward to! Happy 2013!

I’m currently experience “the year of babies” haha! It’s funny because I’m younger than most of my current coworkers and many friends, so I’m not at that point myself, but it’s exciting to see it happening for others :) Enjoy the weddings! And you’re going to Machu Picchu?!?! Hope to hear more about those plans soon, what an amazing destination!

5. Amy says

Machu Picchu is so amazing! I went there in 2011 and fell in love with Peru. The food is so so good! The seafood in Lima is the best I’ve ever had and I grew up on the beach in Florida!

6. Jen @nutcaseinpoint says

My wedding is this summer! I have only been to one wedding (the one I was a flower girl for when I was3!) so this is exciting!!!

A year of weddings sounds like such a great 2013! I’m looking forward to growing my freelance career and trying new foods. Trying to set one high and one low goal. 😉

From 2005-2010, we went to three weddings per year. Everyone always commented that we were always going to weddings, but really it just felt like more, because we had to fly (since we lived in Boston and our friends and family are in the south/midwest). However, I am now old (31) and there are no more weddings on the horizon! At least for my friends. Maybe some family members though.

A lot of my friends seem to be getting married this year or next too. I am most looking forward to moving in with my boyfriend and settling in another town and in our own place.

Wow – your 2013 sounds like my 2011! I am in wedding #7 this April, but have enjoyed reliving the experience each friend and bride-to-be! Have so much fun and good luck with your races!

P.S. I wanted to come home and do that Miami half so bad! Hopefully you get to :)

Oh wow! I thought my husband and I had a lot of weddings (and wedding festivities this year) with four coming up that at least one of us is always in – but we only have to travel far for two of them. Weddings are so much fun when you’re such a big part of them! (And even more special it seems now that we just married!)

One of my cousins is seriously the girl from 27 dresses. She’s been in something like 13 weddings so far, and the maid of honor in 4 of them (5 if you include the one coming up later this year). I told her she really should have all of us wear our own bridesmaid dresses to her wedding :)

12. Erika says

Not sure what I’m looking forward to this year yet. Two summers ago we had 7 weddings to attend and I was pregnant (7-9 months along) for all of them. Our son (16 months) loves to dance now and we joke that it was because of all the wedding dancing we did while he was in my belly!

Looks like you have great year planned! I’m looking forward to a ski trip to Steamboat Springs, CO this next week and starting Best Body Bootcamp with Tina!
    Wedding season is beginning for me. Three of my best friends are getting married and I’m a bridesmaid in two of them in June. I’m only 20, so this is a sign that everyone is really starting to grow up!

I finally attended my first wedding in August in Portland, Oregon and it was beautiful! My cousin just got engaged and her wedding is in June. The first one of the cousins to get married! I have a feeling that she’ll get the ball rolling, and before I know it everyone will be engaged all at once.

I had 3 weddings this past year and only 2 on the books for 2013. I have a feeling 2014 is going to be a “year of weddings” for me. Lots of friends that should be getting engaged pretty soon!

I love going to weddings! I only have 2 this year that I know them and one is in Florida :)

Just out of curiosity, how old/ what is the age range of your friends that are getting married? Also how long have they been together (range)? Just wondering!

In one year from last June to this coming May I will attend 8 weddings! 4 of which I will be in and 1 of which was mine! It is quite the year of weddings for my friends as well. Good thing I love them!

I think every year is the year of weddings! Last year I had 15 (13 of which I went to), and so far I have 6 in 2013. I think I’m just at the age (mid-twenties) where people tend to get married so there are constantly new weddings to attend. Hopefully people won’t be tired of going to weddings by the time I get married :)

You’re going to have a crazyyyyyy year! That’s so exciting that you’re in so many weddings! I’ve only been in a few as a flower girl when I was much younger but I can’t wait to start going to more as an adult!

20. Deanna says

I was a wedding coordinator for 7 years as a second/third job, so each of those years was the year of weddings, but each wedding is super special, so I never got tired of it.

I hiked to Machu Picchu in 2008 and it was the best adventure trip I have ever had, enjoy it!

I think I’m almost at the age (28) where I won’t have as many weddings to go to. I have two sisters and two step sisters that aren’t married but I cannot see any of them getting married this year. I’m guessing 2014 at earliest for any of them.

I always seem to see the new year as a fresh start, hopefully that pans out this year :-) My husband spent some time in the hospital last year so it was hard to see 2012 as a great year. I’m excited to see him recover and I’m hoping we can do more as a family this year. I’m hoping to plan trips to Chicago, Denver, and Florida.

Looks like a fun year! I am still recovering from a 4-summer wedding (felt like a lot to me!) 2013 is a clean slate for me — although I’ve just resolved to run 6 races… so time to get those on the calendar. Happy New Year!!

I definitely know what you mean about not being all jazzed about New Year’s resolutions and such. I was always not enthusiastic about all that until this year. Yes, I am one of those bloggers with a list of resolutions that I’m all excited about. But most of the time, I’m not a resolutions person.

That is a LOT of weddings going on! To me, the “wedding” year was a 12 month period over 2011-2012 where a lot of my friends and myself got married. It’s madness but fun too.

I would say the biggest thing I’m looking forward to for this year is running my second half-marathon.

I love your addition of sausage to your scramble egg bowls. I would love to try this with Field Roast brand vegan sausage. I am sure that it would be AMAZING!

2013 will certainly be a year of weddings for me because my two best girl friends are both getting married. I am so excited to be a part of both of their special days!

Back in 2007, I had four weddings to go to. It was driving me batty and making me look at all the wrong guys (I REALLY wanted to get married that summer, too. Now, I’m thankful that I’m still single).

I’m glad they’ve been few and far between lately. Last one I went to was on my birthday (THAT was weird, let me tell you!), but I got to see all my favorite gal pals from college, so it was great.

This year, I’m looking forward to running my first 5K, publishing my second (and third, I hope!) book, and moving to Colorado. It’ll be a busy one!

26. Merri says

You are one popular lady my friend!! My friend Mel – who you will hopefully meet at the bach party has NINE weddings this year!!! That must be some kind of record!

Sounds like a great year ahead!
    I’m actually moving to Cusco, Peru (gateway city to Machu Picchu!) tomorrow for five months so if you need advice on what to take for MaPi, things to do, places to eat, etc., let me know! I was there in July and loved it (hence the return trip) and I’m sure you guys will as well. When will you be going? Are you doing a trek? If you want to hike Huanya Picchu (you get a different view of MaPi), be sure to book tickets ahead of time. I wasn’t able to do it last time and am hoping to do it this trip.

Looks like you have a bunch of awesome things heading into 2013! Wow, lots of wedding for you this year! I don’t really know what to expect this year, but I’m hoping that things will be changing for the good!

I love weddings. They make me feel so happy and hopeful! Yay for a year of love! :)

And thank for your kind kind words on my blog today, Julie. It means a lot to hear all the support and love from people who, while may have never met me, care a great deal. :)

30. Audrey Adams says

I’m excited to see you pass the NASM exam! I’m doing it as well next yr (2014) ! Hope you do a little (or big) post on your studying for it and what you thought of it!

Have a good day, Julie!

That is a WHOLE lot of wedding stuff coming up for you. Thank goodness most of my friends are to the age where they are already married. I think I may be the only person I know who doesn’t love weddings. The traveling for them…not THAT would be fun!!

I don’t know that I have a ton of things to look forward to in 2013 but I am planning on a great family vacation. I just have to figure out where that is going to be!!

This year, I have 5 weddings, one of which I’m in (Janelle & Terry’s wedding!!) One year, I had 9-that included mine, it was crazy fun (but burnt a whole in our pockets)! Since I don’t have too much on the books, I’m hoping this year will be filled with happy surprises. :)

I went to 11 weddings in 2011 (my husband and I were in a total of 8!) It was fun, but also crazy to be traveling so much.

I am looking forward to my husband graduating from law school and us moving to a new city!

The year I graduated college and the year after was FULL of weddings from ladies in my nursing classes! I was a bridesmaid in two of them. Since I was much older than my classmates and new friends it was rather nostalgic! Don’t feel too bad about being ho hum about the new year. Sometimes it takes me a while to switch from the mindset of “crap, look at all the things I didn’t complete this year” into “look at all the stuff I’m going to accomplish THIS year!”.
    xoxo
    ~Lainee

I’m the same way with the New Year. Personally, I just don’t like January because though it feels like a fresh start, I just find myself in a midwinter slump.
    I’ve been trying to kick that though by starting my training for a 1/2 marathon. I have to admit, I’ve been looking to your blog a TON because it is my first 1/2 marathon and I think we have similar approaches to running. I love it, but it by no means comes naturally to me. I used to hate the mile run in elementary school!
    Excited to follow you in your year of weddings!

36. Lisa says

Holy schmoly matrimony! That’s a lot of weddings!!! My MOH, for my wedding in September, was in five weddings this past year and was the MOH in two of them. She was such an amazing MOH and I feel so blessed to have an amazing friend like her who gives so much of herself to others (obviously like you too since you’re quite the busy bridesmaid!)

Happy 2013! Here’s to an exciting year!

Machu Picchu is on my dream vacation list! SO jealous! Can’t wait to read about it when you go. I am looking forward to the trips I have planned in 2013. We are going on a Mediterranean cruise stopping in Spain, France and Italy. We also have plans to visit the Greenbrier again. I love that hotel. Even more once I found out they have certain rooms that allow dogs. But did you know there aren’t pet friendly cruises? :(
    Here is our last trip to the Greenbrier…

38. Natalie says

Julie, I went to Machu Picchu two years ago and went with a great company (unitedmice)! I don’t know if ya’ll already have one but if you need any advice on the trip feel free to send me an email. It is AMAZING! You and your family will make great great memories.

Happy New Year

This year, honestly I’m just looking forward to my foot finally healing so I can run again. Oh, so I guess I’m looking forward to RNR Seattle and being able to run the whole marathon (God willing). And hopefully getting my 13 races in 2013.

11 weddings in one year!??!!?! Holy cow! Was there something in the water? 😉

Isn’t it fun to think about all the amazing things the year is going to bring?!

Hahah, my friend documented his spendings at weddings last summer: over $8000 (travel, accommodations, gifts). I couldn’t believe it, but I guess it makes sense! It’s crazy how fast it can all add up when everyone lives so far apart now, or opt for destination weddings.

41. Jenna H says

Julie- I read your blog all of the time (especially during class) I’m in the middle of CRNA school and your blog gives my mind a nice easy break!! So thanks for that! Today I made an apple dip made by mixing vanilla greek yogurt, honey, cinnamon, and Peanut Butter!! So amazing!

That was me last year! Including my own, I was invited to 15 weddings but only made it to 12. It was seriously crazy but I’m very happy to be able to attend and be apart of some fabulous weddings!

43. Megan says

I’m ecstatic to marry my best friend on May 25th of this year; we’ve been together for nearly nine years, so I’m feelin’ more than ready 😉

This last summer we attended nine different weddings. It was crazy and fun. It allowed us to get so many ideas!

Other than quite a few more weddings on the book for this year, I’m excited to train for my very first half marathon and hopefully go on some fun trips!

44. Allison says

The year my husband and I got engaged, we were invited to 10 weddings. Clearly, it was the time! And now that most of our friends are the parents of our kids friends (so about the same age kids) we have all been married for the same length of time. Clearly marriages and births go in waves.

45. Jill says

Sorry to be a nuisance, but can you can be a simple, effective and tasty (basic) recipe on how to scramble eggs? (hopefully not too much added to it, I need simple…plus how to actually scramble in the pan…what setting…scramble from the start or wait till later, etc. Sorry, I’m not sure ….at all.

I only went to one wedding last year (besides my own!), and since my friends live on the other side of the world, the only weddings we will be going to this year will be my husband’s friends’ weddings. But hopefully there should at least one or two (I love weddings! :))

This year I am looking forward to being healthier, fitter, and welcoming my little niece into the world!

I am excited for a trip to Disney in July- I am taking a dance group for their performance which is very exciting! I also will possibly be going to France this year- so that is exciting as well!

I’ve only been to 4 weddings in my life (one I was a baby, another I was the flower girl) but 2 of them were in the same year- I can’t wait for all my friends to start getting married….

48. Lisa W. says

You’ve got a busy year ahead! I have a wedding cruise coming up in April for my husband’s brother, so I am really excited about that. I must tell you…I am flat out addicted to Al Fresco Apple Chicken Sausage. I had no idea it existed until I started reading your blog. If you ever come up with more ways to put it in recipes, I am ready and willing to try it out! I also found a great recipe for sausage stuffed zucchini boats using the sweet Italian Al Fresco chicken sausage. Yay for chicken sausages!

49. Kristin says

I am looking forward to getting married in October this year. A resolution of loosing weight is one I have to stick to this year. I think your blog will help me with that : )

Wow, 11 weddings in one year is CRAZY! My husband and I had a year where we had 4 weddings and two graduations which seemed like a lot. But I looove weddings so I always look forward to them. And this year is super exciting because my brother, my dad, and my mom are all getting married. Sounds crazy, but it’s true!! I am so excited they have all found someone to enjoy life with and can’t wait to be a part of their big days. 2013 is also a big year for my husband and I because we are planning to move to a new state in the next few months.

Wow, that’s a lot of weddings!! You have so many fun events coming up this year, good for you! Wish I could say I had more in the books, but it’s looking pretty mellow right now. On the upside – I’m really excited to focus on my new blog this year!

Jeez girl, you’re in four weddings! You’re on your say to 27 Dresses status!
    I’m looking forward to (hopefully) hosting a reunion for my college roommates this year.

Ooh you lucky girl with all those weddings! You will have so much fun dressing up and dancing with your girlfriends….they best party right there. Hmm…I feel like the biggest thing coming up in 2013 for me is planning my sorority’s big Anchor Slam Basketball tournament! It’s my first time with a big position in the house….and I’ve only touched a basketball to play P.I.G haha…so we’ll see if I can pull it off! I noticed from your posts you were in a sorority, did you ever hold a position?! Anyways, have a great week Julie!

I share your thoughts on new year’s resolutions and excitement – everyone keeps asking what my resolutions are, and I really don’t have an answer. But here’s some things that I am absolutely looking forward to this year.
    I’m running my first 1/2 marathon in DC this March…eek!
    My best friend is marrying my fiancee’s brother, so I’m getting another sister!
    My fiancee’s 30th birthday, too!

You gotta love those wedding filled years!! It seems they come in spurts.

I’m looking forward to some traveling with my husband as newlyweds. I know this season is short lived so making the most of it!

56. Amanda says

I’m currently on my way to my 10th wedding in just a 15 month span. And we have at least 6 lined up in 2013! I have been a bridesmaid in only three (including this weekend)! We are having fun spending time with our friends but on the flip side, being a wedding guest certainly gets expensive! :)

I thought this year was going to be a ‘year of weddings’ for me too..but it certainly isn’t up the level of your year! I have 3 weddings to attend so far this year (I am a bridesmaid in one!), but I am also snooping around for some potential engagements for a few of my girlfriends.. :)

58. Christine says

Looking forward to my Thursday wedding in July! Its amazing how much money we are saving, I’m so excited! And all the vendors I want are available, LOL! I also have a friends wedding in February and my sister’s wedding in September! As much as I hate to say it, this year is going to fly by! Also hoping to buy a house somewhere in between all that! Looking forward to babies in 2014! 😀

59. Ellen says

I love your blog, and have followed for a while, but never commented, but I HAD to comment on this post. Last year was my year of weddings. We were invited to twelve weddings last year, and twice two of those weddings were on the same day! But what was more amazing was that my husband and I got married in April, my sister got married in June, and my brother got married in September! 2012 has been an amazing year for my family. Secondly, my husband and I have yet to go on our honeymoon, and a family member generously has offered to send us anywhere we want. Machu Pichu is on our short list along with about six other destinations. I can’t wait to hear about your trip to Peru!

60. Laura says

I’ve seen you make chicken sausage quite a few times and it always looks delicious! I have tried to cook chicken sausage three times now, and I can’t get it to really turn out… I thought it would be pretty easy, but I don’t know! Would you mind sharing what brand you use? And how you cook it?

Oh man, 2010 was the year of weddings for me! I got married that year, I was a bridesmaid in 5 weddings and the maid of honor in 2, one of which was my sister’s (my poor parents!). I was a guest at one other wedding and it felt so foreign to just sit and watch everything. It was a busy – but great! – year. Good luck with all of your weddings!

2012 was definitely the year of weddings for me. I went to 5 weddings, but I know something like 18 couples that got married last year or something crazy like that. I feel like I don’t know half of my female Facebook friends anymore, since all of their last names are changing haha.

63. Katie says

I am looking forward to my husband finishing his Masters’ in Chemistry this May. He worked full-time while taking the classes but left his job last year to complete his research.

A trip to Machu Piccu; that is awesome!!! Machu Piccu is really high on my bucket list.

I was feeling a bit Debbie Downer-ish about the New Year too. I didn’t get excited until yesterday when I realized I’d be throwing a baby shower for one of my best friends in 16 days!! And my brother is getting married this year, so that’s exciting =)

Wow 5 weddings! That’s a lot, especially to be in 4! So exciting. I went to three weddings within a month of each other this past fall…it was fun but a little crazy! I was the maid of honor in one, but was my boyfriends plus one to the other two so it wasn’t that stressful.

66. Amanda says

Machu Piccu! That will be AMAZING! I’m hoping to head to Central America this year, but my number one goal is to get my finances sorted, and get some serious savings in train. Which will mean cutting back on impulse spending and finding some creative ways to reduce my other spending habits.

Five weddings in insane! That’s so cool that you get to travel to a bunch of different places though–I love trips! Unfortunately, all our friends are married now so I have no weddings to look forward to…which stinks because they are so much fun.

I’m looking forward to this year being a new start.. 2012 was rocky for me, with the end of a relationship with my ex-boyfriend, work issues, and family illness/death. I am SO ready and excited to start again and feeling joyful again. :)