Getting Active with Old Navy

Good morning!

I hope you guys had a great weekend!

Our Sunday was a typical Sunday. Pancake breakfast. Church. Errands.

Protein Pancakes

Healthy Pancake Recipe

After church, our errands took us to the grocery store and Old Navy.

Old Navy Activewear

On Friday I was sent a $50 gift card from Old Navy to use toward some new workout apparel from their Active by Old Navy line. Obviously I was pretty pumped and headed into the dressing room with a bunch of new workout clothes to try on. $50 goes a long way at Old Navy!

Old Navy got some big-time bonus points from me when I saw that most of their long-sleeved jackets and pullovers had thumbholes!

Old Navy Green Workout Pullover

I know many of you share my love for thumbholes. No more naked knuckles! I ended up buying the Women’s Active GoDRY Running Top you see in the above photo for $15. (Just FYI, their entire Active line is 40% off today through January 16.)

The one item I waffled back and forth on was the Women’s Active Compression Jacket in retro violet.

Old Navy Compression Jacket

In the end I decided against it because it felt like it might be a little too warm for running in the winter in Florida since it never really gets that cold. The material was nice and thick and I loved that it featured compression technology, but in the end I left with a super-cute heather gray stretch pullover ($15) that was slightly more lightweight.

Old Navy Active 051

Old Navy Active PulloverI love this top. It’s really long (great for my crazy-long torso) and has a really unique and feminine neckline. It reminds me of a scarf wrapping around my neck or something. I’m a fan.

I also bought the Women’s Compression Leggings in blackjack ($18) that you see in the above photo. They’re really long and ride up a little higher than other compression tights which I am hoping will make them a much better fit for running than the shants I wore on Friday’s long run.

I wore the leggings and pullover on an early evening hike with Ryan and Sadie to give them a test and felt comfortable the entire time. They stayed up and didn’t chafe and the pullover was lightweight enough to keep me warm without making me sweat profusely.

Old Navy Active 087

Sadie was protesting our picture together since I didn’t buy her anything.

Lunch

After our shopping adventure, Ryan suggested stopping by Feta, a new Mediterranean restaurant that opened in Ocala less than two months ago.

Feta Ocala

Our meal began with fresh rolls that Ryan and I had no trouble polishing off as we waited for our entrees.

rolls ocala feta

For our main meal, Ryan and I decided to share the True Village Greek salad and the mousaka.

greek salad feta ocala

mousaka

I’ve never tried mousaka before, but oh my goodness it was amazing! I would love to try to make it at home but I’m a little intimidated so if any of you out there have a fabulous mousaka recipe that isn’t too complicated, I’d love to give it a go!

We made sure to compliment Chef Demitri on our way out and he was so kind and gracious.

I spent the rest of Sunday hiking with Ryan and Sadie before working for a bit and enjoying a light dinner before bed.

It was a nice lil’ Sunday!

January Book Club

With 53.6 percent of the votes, the winning book for the PBF January Book Club is The Secret Keeper! We will be discussing this book on the blog on February 4.

The Secret Keeper

Happy reading!

This post is sponsored by Old Navy. Check out Old Navy’s Active wear in stores or at oldnavy.com #GetYourActiveON

Comments

Oooo. I’ll take the stretch pullover and the Greek salad, please. But just my luck, I’d end up spilling Greek salad all down the stretch pullover. messy messy messy. O_O

Old Navy must be doing some kind of blogger thing – you’re the 3rd person I’ve seen today with a post about their Active line of clothes!

I’ve never tried mousaka and really don’t even know what it is. I should google some recipes on line and see if it looks like something that would be fun to tackle!

• says

they are! we could sign up through federated media (our advertising network) and i was all about it since i love their stuff. and yes you have to try mousaka! i’m on the hunt for an easy recipe now.

The pullover is super cute! I’ve made moussaka once or twice (I don’t remember which recipe I used, unfortunately) but I don’t remember it being too difficult. It’s kinda shepherd’s pie-ish, so it has a fair share of steps but it was worth it to me!

Mousaka is my childhood fav! I’ve been trying to perfect an “easy” healthier version the last couple of months – hopefully I’ll have it ready soon to share. The real thing is TO DIE FOR though!

5. Rachel says

I love Old Navy!!! I honestly got a little too excited when I saw the title of this post. I buy their active wear frequently and can say that it is not only inexpensive, but also durable! I love that purple zip up. Since I live in Chicago and it definitely gets cold enough here, I may have to go swoop one for myself!

6. Laurel says

I had been searching high and low for a super supportive sports bra…I go and buy this expensive jazz from I don’t even remember where and it cuts me all up under the boob and on my shoulder….then my mom discovers Old Navy’s sports bras that are max support…OMG so soft, so comfortable and such a great price. She found one for 8 bucks! And I got a new purple one and some of those compression capris for Christmas too!

7. Tamara says

My mom always makes musaka when my brother comes to visit! I don’t eat it since I am vegan but I have her recipe:
    1kg potatoes, cut in rounds
    1 onion, diced
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    500 g minced meat
    200 ml tomato sauce
    salt, pepper, dried parsley

200 ml milk
    2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 180C. In a big pan add olive oil and cook potato rounds for 3-4 minutes on each side and set aside. Now add your onion, garlic and meat and cook for about 4-5 minutes, and then add seasonings and cook on low for another 10 minutes. Grease a glass pan and layer half the potatoes on the bottom. Now layer the meat evenly and top with remaining potatoes. Mix the eggs and milk in a small bowl and pour over the potatoes and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

This is the most basic musaka recipe that most people eat in Croatia, and everyone around me seems to love it so I hope you enjoy it as well!

I love Old Navy workout clothes (and Gap, and Target). They’re always really cute and comfortable without the huge price tags of lulu and athleta. A girl can dream, but on a college budget, these stores definitely work best for me. Love all the things you got!

That food looks amazing! I’ve been wanting to try a good Greek restaurant. I love those finds at Old Navy. I gave Old Navy up awhile ago because it just didn’t seem like their clothes were of very good quality, but I think they’ve been stepping up their game lately!

10. Lisa Seller says

Interesting to see how you are making money with your blog and how you build up a relationship with your readers so that your recommendations seem reliable. At least it is not a secret that this post is sponsored by Old Navy. Your blog loses authenticity though and is not interesting because it is all just one big ad.

I’m a big fan of Old Navy’s Active line. All the clothes I’ve gotten through them are really nice, and I appreciate the affordability. I’d be nice to be able to drop $100 on a jacket, but it’s even better to get a similar jacket for much, much less. Thanks for mentioning that the whole line is 40% off right now, too…looks like I need to hit up Old Navy!

I love shopping at Old Navy. Most of the time you can get really good deals! Also if you download the Old Navy app on your phone, you can earn prizes just for zooming in on an Old Navy logo. The last time I did that I got $5, and ended up getting a fleece for free that was on clearance! 🙂

13. Julie M says

I LOVE Old Navy Active. A lot of my compression pants are from there bc they are cheap AND they last in the wash and don’t ride up/down at all. One time in store, I gave a personal recommendation to a lady that was on the fence.

Awesome! I love Old Navy workout clothes, and 40% off is going to make it so much harder to resist buying some! Looking forward to participating in my first PBF book club this month!

I never really thought to look at Old Navy for active wear but I will definitely start! Looks like they have some really cute things for very reasonable prices! Also, love Mediterranean food! That all looks delicious and those rolls…yum!

I have a pair of Old Navy workout capris that I looove! They stay in place and have an awesome waistband that isn’t ridiculously tight. That moussaka looks great! I’ve never tried it, but I’ve always wanted to.

17. Ashley says

This post literally mirrors my day last Friday! I wound up buying the Active Compression Jacket in a dark gray, still going back and forth on it. But I almost bought the pullover too! Can’t believe it was only $15, but I agree I love how long that pullover is!

I have never checked out Old Navy’s active line but it looks great (and cheap!). I have a super long torso as well and it’s hard to find tops that fit. I read the Secret Keeper a couple months ago and really enjoyed it.

19. Amy says

I love Old Navy’s work out capri pants! I also bought the gray shirt and LOVE it! I like the neckline for a colder run!! They have my favorite activewear line!

I LOVE Old Navy’s workout clothes! I’ve never understood paying $80 for a shirt you’re going to SWEAT in, right? 😉 They also carry an amazing assortment for us plus-size ladies. Win-Win!

I was impressed with the active line from Old Navy the last time I was in there! I wish there was one closer to me – the nearest is at least a 30min drive through Tampa traffic and because there are so few around here it’s always torn apart and not much of my sizing left.

22. Kaitlin says

Thanks for the post, Julie! I am in the market for leggings to wear to my new exercise obsession (Pure Barre) and those ones look perfect. Headed to old navy on my lunch break!

Oh em gee – I had no idea that Old Navy made active wear. I mean, I *kind of* did but maybe it just wasn’t on my radar? Let’s blame mom brain. I would LOVE a recipe for Mousaka too so if you ever find a good one, please share it!

24. Sidney says

I just bought that same pullover on Friday! 😀 Wore it on my long run on Saturday and I loved it–perfect for weather that’s too cold for a technical tee, but too hot for a heavier zip up jacket. I haven’t been a big fan of Old Navy in the past because I felt like their stuff didn’t wash well, but I am excited to see how this pullover holds up (it feels well made, but we shall see)

I got so excited when I saw the title of this post! I just recently bought a pair of those compression tights with a gift card and find them so comfy! It may be my new go-to store for athletic wear (I usually just stick with target…big spender over here 😉 have a great day!!

I’m a huge fan of Old Navy Active wear. My favorite pair of compression pants are from there. People always comment on how thick they look.

I’m heading over their website right now to check out that sale, thanks! 🙂

I love moussaka! My husband and I had it in Greece while on our honeymoon, and we’ve attempted to make it ourselves but hasn’t turned out as wonderful as the authentic Greek dish 🙂 Also excited for January book club!

28. Lindsay says

Love, those Old Navy active items. I will definitely be checking it out. So, so cute! Definitely need some warmer items in Kentucky!

Good call on skipping out on the running jackets, I have 2 of them and they are perfect for winter DC running, which I am assuming is much colder than Florida! I was even able to wear just a tank top, long sleeve performance shirt, and the jacket in 25 degree snow in upstate NY and was still toasty. I am obsessed with the Old Navy work out gear, especially since they always have sales! Lucky duck for getting a $50 freebie!

Meditteranean (spelling?) food is amazing! I feel though, like it’s a cuisine that doesn’t get enough credit for the fabulous dishes it has. There is a Mediterranean (still, spelling??) buffet near my area, and it is seriously dangerous. I could spent all day in there! Rice pudding = personal favorite 🙂

31. Jennifer says

We have a local family owned Greek restaurant that has mousaka. It is so amazing. I’m always trying to connivence myself to order something different, but never do. I’m going to have to check out Old Navy’s Active line. I love the grey top!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the secret keeper hahahaha– I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it. Also Old Navy is the only place besides lulu lemon I buy my workout gear. I have 4 pairs of the capri leggings and the compression jacket [in red/orange] and the long sleeves…aka im addicted. I run in the long leggings all the time they don’t budge!

I’m a big fan of Old Navy workout clothes, especially their tops. I also have a long torso, so I love that they are longer, yet still fitted. I pass by an Old Navy on my way home from the gym, so I may have to stop in while they have a sale!

34. Alexis Mueller says

So I’ve recently started reading your blog, I found it on pinterest and I love it! I have been looking for a fitness blog for forever! I thought it was crazy because on Sunday I also went to old naby and bought the exact same jacket in gray! How ironic! I worked out in it yesterday! I love it!

I have a few things from the Old Navy Active wear line and I LOVE them. Everything is so comfortable and doesn’t cost a fortune. The tops you picked up are super cute. I’m going to have to go check out what our local store has before the 40% off sale is over.

I’ve been noticing that Old Navy’s coming out with cuter stuff lately! I hear that the maternity workout clothes are pretty good too! Must stop by sometime soon 🙂 and you look great in those outfits, so cute and comfy looking~btw, I’d love a long torso haha.

37. Michele says

I ordered that gray shirt right away before they were all gone, but they only had it in pink:(
    Oh well, I bought it anyway since I loved the neckline.

$15 for a running top? That is amazingly cheap! My lululemon ones were about $100 each (although luckily I found them in an outlet…). Would have a look at Old Navy if only we had it here 🙂

I LOVE Old Navy’s Active line. My favorite pair of running shorts are capris are ON. They are tight and stop JUST above the knee. They are wicking, have a zip pocket in the back and aren’t super shorty-shorts like most “bike shorts”. Just say no to chafing!!!

40. Tara says

Moussaka reminds me of my Aunt, she always made it, sooo good! I have her recipe somewhere, yet have never made it since it seemed to be a process to make (timely).

I have been wanting to check out the Old Navy Active line. Question-do any of their pants have pockets? I am in need of a pair of compression pants too!

I love the Old Navy Active line–I got a bunch of stuff for Christmas and I look forward to working out each day just because I get to wear the cute stuff! I have the compression jacket and it’s great–my new favorite jacket!

My stepmom got me a zip-up jacket with thumbholes and specifically pointed out that the jacket had thumbholes. Having never run in a jacket with thumbholes, I was pretty skeptical about the value of them. However, my first run in a jacket with thumbholes really showed me their value. I was running around a lake on a day with brutally cold wind and gloves that didn’t fully block the wind. Tried out the thumbholes and my hands felt a million times better!

Oh my goodness I love that grey top! That is so adorable! I had no idea Old Navy had such cute active wear, I would have never thought! I will definitely be having to make a trip to Old Navy soon! ha

44. Trina says

I have the compression jacket w/ the thumb holes in pink. I bought it during Oct Breast Cancer awareness month! I really like it! I was jut at ON yesterday! haha
    I love that Sadie was protesting the pic b/c you didn’t buy her anything!! Classic!

45. Rachelle says

Those clothes look soooo comfortable! I’ve been on the look out for some new active wear, and you may just have convinced me to go there ;).

That grey pullover is super cute! Chic yet perfect for working out. Oh my god, I love moussaka- I have a fantastic recipe that uses eggplant and pork & veal mince- if you don’t already have a recipe from someone else I’m more than happy to send it to you 🙂

I just bought the same gray stretch pullover from Old Navy this weekend! It was so exciting to find running clothes that are affordable, cute and comfortable. I was surprised to see a lot of the features that are on Lulu Lemon workout clothes at Old Navy, like the hidden pockets for ipods and thumb holes. Love it!

48. Jessie says

Your post made me go straight to old navy online and buy some activewear. You or I should get a discount! I like to buy affordable running gear so I often fall victim to shants and I hate it. I’m excited to try them!

I wanted to buy the grey top but they didn’t have my size in it so I am hoping I might find it at another Old Navy or online. I also waffled back and forth about the purple zip up but ultimately decided against it. I really wanted it in black but they didn’t have my size in that either. I did buy the same quarter zip top though but in black along with a bunch of compression capris.

50. Susanna Clark says

I was so excited when I saw your post on the old navy shirts that are long. I am 6’0 tall and have a wicked long torso so I feel your pain in finding workout shirts, and shirts in general that are long enough. I did not even know Old navy had workout clothes so I am definitely going to check it out this weekend:) Thanks so much. I also have made Mousaka before at home and it is not that difficult and super yummy:)

51. Karen says

Ok dang it… I gave into the temptation because “thumbies” are my weakness. Completely blaming this on you when my boyfriend asks me about my Old Navy score and if I really needed these things! lol! 😛 How can a girl resist up to 40% off active plus 35% off everything else?!

Hi Mousaka lovers, 🙂
    I would like to share a simple recipe for mousaka Serbian way. I do it all the time and my German and Belgian friends love it.

You”ll need:
    6 big potatoes
    1lb ground meat (beef or pork)
    1 onion
    1 cup of yogurt
    1 egg
    Peper, garlic powder, salt, paprika powder

Cut the onion into the cubes, fry it untill it turns yellow. Add the meat and the spices and keep frying.
    Peel and slice the potatoes
    Put a layer of potatoes at the bottom of your baking dish. Then comes the layer of meat/onion mix. Then comes one more layer of potatoes. Prepare a cup of water with a tbsp of oil. Pour it over the mousaka. This way, the bottom potatoes will be cooked and the upper layer will baked. Bake for 30 minutes at 200 celsius.
    Mix the yougurt and the egg and pour it over the mousaka. Bake for 5 more minutes. Voila!

This amount yield about 4 servings. I would like to note that this is how my mom does it in Serbia. Greek recipe is a bit different. Enjoy! 🙂

Just bought some of their active pants in a Tall (I’m 5’10) and I love them!!!…they are so tall and comfy…most tall pants come at a huge price but I love the price of Old Navy’s stuff!!!

Wow, absolutely love that grey top from Old Navy! It looks so comfy. Man, I’m disappointed for book club for February 🙁 Was so hoping for The Fault in Our Stars. Oh well. If people voted for this one, it must still be good then!

After I read this post, I went to Old Navy’s website and looked at their sales. I am currently deployed but I wanted to jump on this sale. I love the Active Shirts. I sent my wife a list of what I wanted. Hopefully she will be able to find the colors that I want and they will be waiting for me when I get home.

Oh, and I really enjoy reading your blog. Some of the food you post pictures of makes my mouth water. As of right now I have no way to be able to cook for my self and I am at the mercy of the Air Force when it comes to food. You have a new subscriber from SC, currently in the Middle East!

56. Jamie says

I will have to go get one of those as I also LOVE thumbholes! I already have a few of their compression capris and wear them all the time! Thanks for sharing the good news on some new digs!

57. Anne Parris says

I love the longer tops with thumb holes. I’ll have to go check them out. For me, the long tops are more for bootie coverage, since I’m plus sized. You look amazing and are very inspiring to this mama trying to get back in shape!

OOO I love what you picked from Old Navy. It’s funny, I hadn’t really bought much there for a few years and this past year I have bought a ton there (loving their skinny jeans) for me and my son. I haven’t spent much time looking at the Active Gear, but I’ll have to check it out!

59. Whitney Garcia says

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been looking for good quality, affordable workout clothes! My husband works part time at Academy and even with his discount, I’m paying way too much for workout clothes.

How FUN to be featured by Old Navy!!! So glad to find your blog. My hubby just got me the jacket with the thumb holes for Christmas in the gray. Love it. I also just made a renewed commitment to eating healthy so I am happy to find your blog. Yay. 🙂

61. Rebecca says

I love old navy workout stuff AND THE THUMBHOLES! Just a recommendation for those of you in colder climates, i do run in the compression jacket – definitely too warm for Florida but awesome for the Boston area this time of year. Its one of my fave cold running tops 🙂

62. Amanda Jae says

So happy to see Old Navy has your blog on their Facebook page now – that’s awesome girl! Glad to see such an incredible blog out of Central Florida, I’m at UF just an hour north. Keep up the awesome work, I adore reading your posts and hearing your fitness story!

63. Alicia says

I was checking my facebook today and a post for Old Navy was on my newsfeed … and guess whose picture I saw and blog they were plugging!!!! Yours!!! So awesome!

I have the compression jacket in pink – a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law who loves hers. It’s fantastic! Keeps me warm is perfect for my night runs (which can be pretty chilly!). Old Navy on FB got me to stop here, I’m definitely coming back! Great blog!

-a.

Hey Julie!

The first thing that I noticed when I saw your pancakes was that they are perfectly shaped! Do you have a secret way of doing this?

At the gym where I work, I’ve seen a lot of women wearing the heather gray stretch pull-over. To say the least, I’m tempted to buy it!

Hey Julie!

The first thing I noticed when I saw your pancake breakfast was that they are perfectly shaped! Do you have a secret way of doing this?

At the gym where I work, I’ve seen a lot of women wearing the stretch pull-over. To say the least, I’m tempted to buy it!

I got this web site from my friend who told me
    about this website and at the moment this time I am browsing this web page and reading
    very informative articles or reviews at this
    place.

68. Emily says

I’m excited for the book! I didn’t vote for The Fault is in Our Stars because I’ve already read it. I highly recommend it. Also, Looking for Alaska by the same author is incredible!