Slow Cooker Carnitas

Now that the Crock Pot Challenge is in full swing, I find myself feeling more and more motivated in the kitchen. Trying out new recipes is a lot of fun, especially when the recipes involve the crock pot and aren’t overly complicated.

Yesterday I made Lindsay’s slow cooker carnitas.

Carnitas Crock Pot

I followed the recipe on Lindsay’s blog exactly and after eight hours, our house smelled fantastic and we had a delicious no-fuss dinner on our hands.

Crockpot Carnitas

While I thought the pork was good, Ryan was a huge fan. He said that this pork was “restaurant quality.” It was extremely flavorful (placing the pork back into the sauce is a must) and I think it would be a great dish to make on Super Bowl Sunday to feed a whole gang of hungry people.

slow cooker carnitas

We paired the carnitas with steamed veggies and a sweet potato topped with a bit of Earth Balance.

When I went to put the leftovers away, Sadie broke out her best pitiful “please gimme some carnitas” face.

Sadie Vizsla

She gets me every time. I’m such a sucker.

Workout

This morning I hopped on the treadmill at the gym for a 40 minute workout. I ran four miles, followed by a .25 mile cool down walk and some stretching.

40 minute treadmill workout

I’ve been extra mindful of my hips lately and try to take a solid five minutes to go through some of my favorite hip stretches after a run. I’m hoping this will help keep my running injury free since my hips seem to be my “problem area” when it comes to injuries and pain. So far so good! Knock on wood.

Pancakes for breakfast!

pancakes

I planned to make whole wheat pancakes, but ended up making the pancakes with half white flour/half whole wheat flour because we ran out of wheat flour at the last minute.

I have a feeling I’m going to be digging into my morning snack a bit early since I doubt these pancakes will keep me full for long. I should’ve added some almond butter to the batter for some staying power. Next time!

Question of the Morning

• Do you stretch before and/or after a workout… or not at all?
  • Do you take special care to target your stretching based on past injuries?

Comments

I love when Sadie makes the blog!

I am notorious for not stretching before or after workouts, so I have been making a conscious effort lately to be better. I realize that my body no longer responds to a long run the way it did when I was in high school and college and that I need to stretch.

I was just thinking about how terrible I am at remembering to stretch before and after workouts. I”m usually good about stretching after runs (it’s really helped my shin splints!), but I rarely stretch when doing strength workouts

I at least stretch for a good five minutes and do all my stretches 3 times through. It makes a huge difference. My cross country coach was really about making sure we didn’t get injuries. The running stretch is my fave move to stretch the hip flexors really good.

4. Amanda Bass says

Thanks for posting the hip stretches. I also struggle with hip/lower back pain from running. I see a chiropractor once a week and that seems to really help along with the wonderful foam roller. I notice mine when I run too much in a week or increase my mileage too quickly.

I do target my stretches- usually to hips/groin and calves, oh and hammys. I’m a bit slack with stretching- definitely don’t do it as much as I should. All my classes finish with stretching and I never stretch beforehand. I do foam roll daily though after my classes and teaching.

6. Jenn says

Absolutely love your blog! I found it on Pinterest a few weeks ago and have been following you since 🙂 Tried the carnitas and they were delicious. Served them with tortillas and had cilantro, salsa, fresh mozzarella, limes, black beans and cabbage as toppings… I too am a fitness and health food junkie and you’ve inspired me to start a blog of my own- very excited!

7. Laurie says

That pork looks delicious. I want to try it but everything I cook in my slow cooker fails. It is newer and I’m wondering if it cooks at higher temperatures then other ones. My beef is always dry. I’ve cooked steel cuts oats and has to be on warm, not even low and I cooked it for half the time it was recommended. I bought a new one because my last one was the same. Any suggestions?

8. Julie Grant says

Made the crockpot carnitas today! My husband could smell it in the garage when he got home from work. They were amazing!! Cilantro, sliced avocado and tomato plus a dollop of plain Greek yogurt made this dish heavenly. My husband was so impressed and my parents just loved them! Thanks so much for sharing!!