A Little Sweetness

After a crock pot fail earlier this week, last night’s successful slow cooker dinner redeemed my love for crock pot cooking.

Crock Pot Beef Stew

I made beef stew by following a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com. Though the recipe called for a few veggies, I added a bunch more and chopped up sweet potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, carrots and an onion to include.

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

It was veggie-packed and delicious!

Breakfast this morning included a bowl of steel cuts oats prepared on the stovetop with egg whites, half of a banana and pumpkin pie spice. I was a little heavy handed with the carton of egg whites, so the oats were a little fluffier than I meant for them to be, but still quite tasty!

breakfast

I also made a hot cup of coffee to sip on the side.

coffee with homemade foam

Last weekend I bought a small bottle of NuNaturals pure liquid vanilla stevia from Earth Origins in Ocala. One of my girlfriends is in love with this stuff and encouraged me to try it out in my morning coffee. She promised me it was on par with Starbucks vanilla syrup!

nunaturals liquid stevia vanilla

While I wouldn’t compare it to Starbucks vanilla syrup, I really liked it a lot! I added a few drops to the bottom of my coffee mug before pouring in Godiva peppermint crème coffee and topping it off with frothy almond milk. It added a touch of sweetness without a weird aftertaste. It’s pretty darn expensive, so I’ll be rationing my use of the stuff, but I liked it!

Question of the Morning

• If you’re a coffee or tea drinker, do you add anything to your coffee or tea?

I like to add vanilla almond milk to my coffee but I prefer my tea without anything in it. Sweet tea gives me the heebie jeebies. Clearly I wasn’t born and raised in Florida because sweet tea is a staple around here!

Comments

I agree on the stevia being pricey- I got a ton from a friend one time and thought it was great but have yet to buy more. Maybe one day!

I add almond milk and 2-3 packets of purevia to tea and coffee. As well as creamer to coffee. It’s usually more white than anything.

I drink my coffee black. I secretly like the bitter taste and how it’s so quick and easy. For my tea I drink a cup of green tea in the afternoon and add a spoonful of honey and a slice of lemon. Black tea I don’t add anything to

3. Emily says

I usually drink my coffee with skim milk only! :)

I bought a crock pot yesterday and definitely plan on getting some inspiration from your blog. Never used one before! :) Also this morning I enjoyed a little modified version of your whole wheat pumpkin pancakes (with a chocolate/coffee flavored Chobani “bite” yogurt instead of pumpkin) — they came out great! I love your blog, thanks for the inspiration! :)

Hmmm I’ve been curious about the flavored stevia drops for a while. Thanks for the review, I think I’ll stick with my Truvia and vanilla extract! I always add some chocolate or vanilla almond milk to coffee and some vanilla almond milk if I’m drinking my caramel black tea, otherwise tea goes plain!

5. Amber says

Where do you find the Godiva peppermint crème coffee?? I’ve been on the seach for it since the first time I saw it mentioned on your blog. No luck yet! :(

6. Lisa says

I use coconut vanilla creamer in my coffee. Your beef stew looks wonderful. I put Brunswick Stew in my crockpot last night, then cooled it off this morning and put in the refrigerator.

I really enjoy the sugar free Torani syrups! Ever since I discovered SF caramel, Dunkin has lost a little business from me lol

I’ve seen that vanilla stevia in recipes before. Is it just a flavored sweetener?

8. Kelsey Y. says

Since I have a slight sensitivity to dairy milk, coconut milk is my add-in for my tea. Soy milk is my choice if I’m out at a coffee shop, its soy milk then!

Love the liquid stevia! They now have a peppermint that I’m adoring in my green tea. Ron from NuNaturals is such a great guy and loves to work with bloggers. You should definitely reach out to him to see about trying their new flavors.

I cannot drink coffee black. I always have to add creamer. My favorites are french vanilla and hazelnut. Very rarely do I need to add sugar. I’m trying to cut down on my love for artificial sweeteners in my coffee!

11. Zoe says

Coffee is a big deal in my family- and I liked it with a splash of nonfat milk (raised on the stuff- now I can’t change!) and a sugar cube. I thought about what kind of sweetener to use for a while and I do love agave syrup. But, on a college student’s budget it was not really a feasible option for me. In addition I need the portion control of sugar cubes!
    For tea, I usually do the same for black tea especially Chai and Harney and Son’s Paris Tea (SO GOOD!) but for other teas I just drink them straight.

A splash of Unsweetened Almond milk (when at home) and when I’m not at home…whatever is available between skim or non-dairy creamer. No Sugar in my coffee, please! :)

I drink my coffee black (unless I get something at a coffee shop), but since I found out I am pregnant I am drinking half-caff now and sometimes with a little soy creamer in it :)

Mmm, that crock pot meal looks delicious!! I like to add a tbsp of unsweetened vanilla almond milk to my coffee, or a 1/2tbsp of heavy whipping cream is pretty darn amazing. I have the liquid Stevia Glycerite & love that stuff to add to my tea & baking. Yes, it’s pretty darn pricey though! ;)

15. Carly says

I don’t add anything to my tea because I drink tea for the calming affect-not to give me a sugar rush.
    Coffee on the other hand is meant to give you a buzz! I typically drink it black but on occasion, I add a little bit of almond milk if the coffee batch I made was too strong. If I’m in the mood for “dessert coffee”, I add some Bailey’s French Vanilla creamer to it ;) So good! I love my coffee and tea :)

16. Erin says

Julie- those drops last FOREVER! I use them almost daily in my coffee- 5-10 drops, as well as sometimes in pancake batter, and they have lasted over a year!

Just started reading your blog (I read HTP and saw you on the Old Navy’s Facebook page). I drink green tea every morning and sometimes stir in a little organic honey.

I’m a Floridian and I have never liked sweet tea. It’s just gross to me! I prefer unsweetened anyday!

18. Dex says

you can buy those drops much cheaper online! iherb.com has a great selection of sweeteners and other natural/organic products if you have never heard of them. you can even use code SIZ056 to get $5 off your first order :)

They protect the jewelry from getting tangled, and make each necklace visible capable to grab.
    The next major surge in popularity for the bit of jewelry occurred inside the wake of World War II and reached a peak through the 1950s.
    Enjoy dinner within the restaurant- Now, if you can’t do hands-on preparation because of this day of love, there is certainly always dinner you can reserve in a very restaurant.