My Half Marathon Playlist

Tomorrow I will be running in my fifth half marathon and last night I took the time to put together a rockin’ playlist that I’m hoping will help motivate me on race day.

Half Marathon Playlist

A bunch of your recommendations found their way onto my iPod and this playlist so I wanted to be sure to share it with you guys.

I hope you find a new song or two that you enjoy!

Half Marathon Playlist

• Melanie Amaro – Don’t Fail Me Now – I take the “feet don’t fail me now” lyrics quite literally when I run to this song.
  • Rudimental feat. John Newman – Feel the Love – It is ridiculously hard for me not to sing the chorus of this song out loud, but since they repeat it approximately 10,000 times in this song, I try my best to refrain.
  • Emeli Sande – Next to Me She has the voice of an angel.
  • Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch – Sweet Nothing – I definitely caught Ryan singing “you’re giving me such sweet loving” in the car one day. Loving? Nothing? Same thing.
  • GossipHeavy Cross – This is the song from the Dior commercial with Charlize Theron. Wait, you don’t download songs from television advertisements? Oh.
  • Martin Solveig – Big In Japan Ridiculously catchy.
  • Bingo Players – Cry Just a Little
  • Scatman John – Scatman – I may never understand the words to this song.
  • The Temptations Ain’t Too Proud to Beg
  • Pitbull ft. T-Pain – Hey Baby
  • Hercules – Zero to Hero
  • Moby – Natural Blues – This song is rather slow in the beginning, but it picks up as it continues and I always find myself getting really into it.
  • Usher – Scream
  • Yellowjackets – Wavin’ Flag A little acappella music for some variety!
  • Taylor Swift – I Knew You Were Trouble Shame on me now.
  • K’naan – Better The lyrics that say “I’m only getting better” remind me to push myself and try to improve on every run.
  • Black Box – Strike It Up
  • PJ Loughran – ShoeboxI couldn’t find a quality YouTube video for this song, but you can listen to it in iTunes. It’s a song my friend Ryan put on a CD for me in high school that I’ve loved ever since!
  • Salt n Pepa – Shoop
  • Hercules – The Gospel Truth
  • Evanescence – Bring Me to Life
  • Manian – Ravers in the UKTaken from a previous BodyPump release! Major pump up music.
  • Destiny’s Child – No, No, No
  • Macklemore feat. Wanz  – Thrift Shop – This song is horrible in the best way possible. I sing “this is f-ing awesoooome” aloud as I run when this song comes on to try to remind myself that running a half marathon is pretty f-ing awesome.
  • Usher ft. Will.I.Am – OMG
  • Basshunter – Now You’re Gone
  • Loleatta Halloway – Love Sensation
  • Basshunter All I Ever Wanted

Enjoy!

Comments

I want to wish you a great race tomorrow! Hope it goes even better than you planned.

Love the playlist…I’m loving the Taylor Swift song “I knew you were trouble” also. My daughter says I sing it a little too loud in the car! 😉

2. Megan says

OMG! I was just telling my boyfriend that the song from the Charlize Theron commercial would be a good workout song. Good choice!!!

3. Angela says

Another GREAT song that is out right now that I absolutely love is Hall of Fame by the Script feat. Will.I.Am. It’s one of my workout songs now!

Glad I am not the only one who wanted to download the song from the Dior commercials. I also downloaded P-Diddy’s (whatever his name is today) song, “I’m coming home” from the video game commercial it was playing on. Gotta get inspiration from somewhere. :)

Good luck on the race tomorrow! This playlist looks awesome–esp b/c I am a HERCULES fan!! Huge fan. I also love “Scream” and “Ravers in the UK”<–I teach BP< and was trained on that release, so good memories.

6. sarah n. says

good luck at the race! thanks for sharing your playlist, it will provide some motivation for me on the treadmill as I work to get my pre baby bod back :) Also, I made your garam masala chicken in the crockpot this week and my husband and I both absolutely loved it!

7. Kate says

I’ve definitely downloaded a song from a commercial. You know those Kia Soul hamster commercials? The original one had an awesome song – Do What You Do by Marz. Love it and it’s totally on my workout mix. And as a bonus, I always picture cute hamsters in cars when I hear it :)

Do work at your half-marathon tomorrow!! I’ve recently added “Thrift Shop” to my playlist too and it’s so funny! It has a good beat too! “Hey Baby” is another one I love and of course “Sweet Nothing” has been one of my favorites since early December!

9. Dee says

I love when Kelly Clarkson’s song “Stonger” plays on pandora during runs (and workouts)! Especially the line “what doesn’t kill you makes a fighter, footsteps even lighter” :) totally makes me feel like I’m Rocky and I have such LIGHT FEET! Definitely a nice reminder when running and the lead feet feeling start up!

I use honey and cinnamon with almond or soy milk! Light Agave syrup is good too.
    Good luck with your marathon this weekend! We know you’re going to kick butt!

Good luck with that race!! I love the Herc, “Go the Distance” is my fav of his songs. DIsney music in general just rocks it out. And I have Basshunter on mine too. I swear I just get the urge to dance midrun when it comes on. So I just run faster. Sort of the same thing?

12. Courtney says

I LOVE that Thriftshop is on there! When I first heard it I was like WTF is this? Then I shiftily looked around and turned the volume up. Love it!

13. Helen says

Good Luck to you tomorrow!! Know I will be thinking and praying that all goes well! Can’t wait to hear all about about it! ;0) I sure look forward to your post everyday! I think your pretty special!

Can I just say how much I LOVE that you have Hercules songs on here! I listen to Zero to Hero on my workout playlist and it surprisingly gets me really pumped up. Its just hard to not bust out singing or dancing when Im workin out. : )

15. Amy Risner says

Julie! Thank you SO much for posting this! I am running my first 1/2 in March and I am in the process of building my playlist! Trying to make sure I get songs that actually motivate me! Add…delete…add…delete! I’m sure you know how that goes!
    GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!!

16. Samantha says

I am training for my second half, 8 weeks away now, and just got strep throat along with a nasty cold, have you ever been sick in the middle of training? And how did you manage to pick back up where you left off after being sidelined ?? I’m nervous im going to lose my momentum I had going. Good luck tomorrow!

Oh I definitely get songs from commercials :) I still remember when I first heard “Pink Moon” by Nick Drake in a VW commercial about 10 years ago – that’s some pretty good advertising, I’d say. I love I Knew You Were Trouble – that song definitely makes me want to move, and so does 22. Thrift Shop is so great, and has a hilarious music video if you haven’t seen it. Good luck tomorrow, Julie – you’re going to do great!!

18. Val says

Good luck this morning!!!!!! All that hard work is going to pay off, just go out and enjoy the run! Nothing better than the energy of a big race :)

19. Allison says

Thanks for all the song suggestions! I started looking them up on spotify, and it made me laugh when Rudimental feat. John Newman – Feel the Love ended and immediately Can You Feel the Love Tonight from the Lion King started playing.

I totally get songs from advertisements, haha! The best one is “Powerful Stuff” by Sean Hayes from the Hyundai commercial. It’s actually a great song to run to. I love listening to relaxing stuff with really good beats like Mumford and Sons. Makes me a happy runner!

21. Caitlin says

I am a fairly new “PB Fingers” reader, but I wanted to say I love your blog! I have been making and loving some of your smoothie recipes! And I also wanted to wish you best of luck in your half marathon today! I’m about to start training for my fourth half marathon, and your playlist is helping me pick some awesome new songs for my training runs!! Thanks :)

Ha! I’m right with you on “Thrift Shop”. It’s a guilty-pleasure song.
    I kind of like the silliness of it. I don’t usually like that genre, but for some reason, that one stuck. Maybe because it’s so catchy?

23. Kaleigh says

Thrift shop is my running guilty pleasure too! Check out “And We Danced” by Macklemore – equally horrible but hilariously awesome!

24. Heather Hurt says

I am a little late on commenting on this post but I am running the Carlsbad half tomorrow morning and am updating my playlist with some of your songs and wanted to give you a couple suggestions that always get my blood pumping. Maybe for your next half??!! :) Titanium (feat Sia) by David Guetta, E.T. by Katy Perry, Coming Home by Diddy Dirty-Money, Somebody that I used to know by Gotye….I could keep going and going!

25. Andrea says

THANK YOU!!! I ran theNYC Half Marathon yesterday and this playlist was incredible–I ran stronger, more consistently and faster than ever! Thanks so much.