Amrit Palace

Throughout the past month, spices used in traditional Indian cooking have found their way into many of our evening meals. When Ryan was in England a week ago, he went out to dinner at an Indian restaurant with some of his coworkers and came home raving about the chicken biryani. He said he knew I’d love the dish and we decided to head out for Indian food last night so I could try it out.

Amrit Palace Ocala

Though I’ve loved the at-home attempts Ryan and I have made at Indian cooking, Amrit Palace, a local Indian restaurant, put all of my meals to shame!

We started off with Kingfisher beer.

Kingfisher beer

It was crisp and refreshing and I liked it a lot!

My meal came with a small cup of lentil soup.lentil soup

Compared to the amazing flavors in my entrée, this soup was a little bland. I didn’t finish all of it, but it was a nice little appetizer.

When it came time to dig into our entrees, Ryan and I did a lot of sharing.

IMG_2212-001

IMG_2216-001

I ordered the lobster curry which was fabulous!

Amrit Palace

The spices in the curry were strong and absolutely fantastic. I am not normally a big fan of white rice (I find it very bland), but when I poured my lobster curry on top of it, I couldn’t stop eating it. Yum!

lobster curry

Ryan ordered the chicken biryani and we both thought it was delicious. We were glad we ordered tandoori roti, an unleavened Indian bread, with our meal because it was perfect for dipping into my lobster curry.

Tandoori Roti

As we drove home, Ryan and I agreed that we will definitely be returning to Amrit Palace in the future. I think this was actually my first foray into Indian food at a real Indian restaurant, and I can’t wait to try more Indian dishes in the future.

Questions of the Afternoon

• What are some of your favorite Indian dishes?
  • Any fantastic Indian-inspired recipes out there that I must try? Feel free to link up in the comments section!

Comments

• Dione says

grocery stores around me. I also work with a ton of Indian people and get to taste their food on occasion. I’m trying to expand my repetoir of dishes…so far it’s limited to Chana masala and toor dal. But I’m learning!
      Sorry for the chopped up post stupid iPhone jumped around.

1. Pam S says

I live in London now and Indian is probably the most popular ethnic food here, it’s so good and authentic, but lobster curry sounds amazing!!!

I love chicken tiki Masala. I tried making it at home and it was good but definitely no Indian restaurant food 🙂 the Nan is so good too! I agree the rice by itself is bland. You need to mix it all together!

3. missy says

you need to do a weekly blog post “julie eats at a new ethic restaurant”. it would be good for you since you dislike spice so much and seem to be apprehensive about trying new foods from different cultures.

4. Charlotte says

Chicken tikka masala is really easy to make, you can either buy the curry paste or the pre-made sauce. Pataks brand is best, in our town it is found in the English food section (it’s an English brand). Korma is milder, but not as healthy as the recipe needs a lot of cream. If you like spice, try ordering a vindaloo curry next time you’re there, it’s my favorite. My boyfriends favorite is butter chicken.
    I hope you enjoy testing these out! I received 2 Indian cookbooks for Christmas and cannot wait to test them out more!

5. Linda says

Chicken Tikka Masala is my all time favorite Indian meal. Next time you should try and see if they have a buffet. Lunch buffets are nice because they generally do not cost as much as dinner meals do and you get to try a variety of different Indian dishes.

6. Jillian says

I absolutely love Indian food! My favorite dishes are Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken. Garlic naan is a must-have as well 🙂

Thinking back of all our times in America we never once saw a big Indian around Florida..only a takeout I think across from Chilli’s (or maybe it’s a pretty squished sit in resturant?? haha)..that was my mum’s new years resolution to go to the Indian more, and she already goes pretty much every other week! Haha an amazingggg dish that isn’t always on the menu but is marinated first in chicken tikka spices is a chicken tikka LABABDAR curry (lababdar sauce is mild and creamy, usually with yogurt). IT IS AMAZING!! My mum got a gift day to learn how to cook it from the chefs recipe at a nearby restaurant as it’s her favourite..I haven’t ordered any other since my mum suggested I try that haha goes very nice with a chappati bread (roti?). Actually have a takeaway of it in the freezer as a weekend treat (double orders one in and one out on a dinner date..oh yes! haha).

I usually order labadar off the menu and most places I would think would do it if it isn’t on as it’s less common but just a different sauce so easy enough done I would think! Lucinda 🙂

8. Valerie @ FreshMutz says

I loved Indian food!. My husband and I discovered a local Indian buffet which we’ve since designated our new Sunday brunch spot. We are both fans of chicken korma and chicken tikka masala. I also like Saag Paneer.

I made this recipe for chicken korma many times subbing skinless boneless thighs for breasts. It may not be the most authentic, but it’s received rave reviews: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-chicken-korma/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=korma&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e13=A%3aSearch%20Results-List%28control%29&e7=Recipe

Hi Julie. First let me say that I am glad that Sadie is going to be alright!! I have two dogs and I would be heartbroken if anything happened to them.
    Second, I am a bit behind in reading your posts as I have been in Guatemala for two weeks, doing some work as volunteer coordinator of a health and education project that a group of us started 10 years ago. It has been intense and amazing and sad all at once.
    I have been trying to keep in shape by doing some of your circuits that dont require equipment, and hiking in the steep hillsides here — i am not used to the altitude so it really kicks my butt.
    right now I am back in the city of Quetzaltenango (the village where we work is about 3 hours from here , up in the mountains), and planning to go for dinner at Sabor de la India tonight — it is a very random thing to have an indian restaurant smack in the middle of Guatemala, but i am very glad it is there — the food is delicious!
    Anyway, just a note to say hello and see you again online once I am home in Canada. I would love to send you my dispatch from this trip if that is ok — i would be honored if you would read it. it is just a description of our trip, the people we meet and work with, and the things that happen in the village of Comitancillo, Guatemala.