Rest Day Friday

This morning I slept in for a bit which wasn’t too hard to do thanks to our new crazy-comfy feather topped bed. If you’re on the fence about purchasing a feather topper, I kindly nudge you to do so. It’s lovely!

I awoke around 6:15 a.m. with a grumbling stomach.

Hot steel cut oats called to me.

steel cut oats with milk and honey

I made the oats on the stove top with milk and a bit of honey and though I had a bit of an overflow issue (don’t walk away from from a bubbling pot of oats… duh), the taste was great and that’s all that matters to this girl. Before removing the oats from the stovetop, I stirred in a spoonful of almond butter and topped them with a sprinkling of chia seeds. Quite the satisfying breakfast!

I ate my breakfast at the computer as I finished up a writing assignment. It felt good to email that baby off before 8 a.m. Hooray for a productive Friday!

And double hooray for coffee!

coffee

Rest Day Friday

I don’t have a workout on the agenda for today since I usually take Sunday as a rest day and will be running in my first trail race on Sunday this weekend. Since I prefer to take 1 – 2 days off from the gym every week, a relaxed Friday sounded like a good way to go.

National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day

As Monica reminded me yesterday, today is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day! (This day is not to be confused with National Peanut Butter Day in January. There is holiday for everything, huh?)

cup of peanut butter

I would be remiss if I didn’t at least acknowledge this day on the blog, so Happy National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day to my fellow peanut butter fanatics out there!

Here are some of my favorite recipes to help you celebrate:

Question of the Morning

• How many rest days do you take a week?

Comments

I sometimes won’t take a rest day once a week but once a fortnight, although on some days I might do a mix of walking and pilates as a sort of ‘rest day’. In other weeks I may have 1 a week I try and really listen to my body and know when I can push myself and when I can’t.

I take one and it’s always Sunday unless something crops up during the week.. Always feel fantastic of a Monday morning ready for the fresh week. Enjoy you’re chillax Friday and Happy PB day..btw have you tried Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butters? Smooth operator is divine and I have a new white chocolate wonderful ready to whip open!

3. Brittany says

I try to keep my rest days at only 1 to 2 days a week. It depends on how hard I’ve worked out all week and what my body can take. The great thing about “rest days”, however, is that “rest” doesn’t mean “do nothing”. Going for walks at a park or playing outside with the dog or walking around the mall (my person favorite) is also a nice way to get in some type of activity without straining yourself or even trying.

4. Carrie says

I take Sundays off. This week though I took two days bc I’m sick. Over the years I’ve learned to rest when my body needs it.

Oh boy, there truly is a holiday for everything, isn’t there?! If it has to do with peanut butter, I’m all about it though! 😉
    Since being pregnant, I take 2-3 rest days per week depending on how I’m feeling. Before being pregnant, I took 1-2 rest days but we’ll see how that works out again after a baby is in the mix! 😉

Peanut Butter LOVERS day – well, that’s me for sure, except I celebrated with sun butter. I think I’ll have to add some peanut butter into my meals later today so I’m celebrating as a lover should. 🙂

I celebrated today with a huge dollop of pb on my oatmeal this morning, and will probably have some more later with an apple as a snack! I am kind of dtrange in the health/fitness world.. I take more like 3-4 rest days a week, but try and get some extra walking in on the rest days. To each their own, every body is different! 🙂

oooh first trail race eh!! good luck and can’t wait to see how it goes!

I’m sick with the awwwwwwful flu right now so every day has been a rest day..ha! 🙁 Otherwise, probably once a week – not on any specific day though!

I take two active rest days a week, but I use them more as cross training/active recovery days and throw in some biking or strength training. It usually ends up that I have at least one real full day off of all activity, though, due to weather or things going on, which I think my body needs.

10. Heather @fitncookies says

You missed the world of burpees today! Haha quite the challengingly last BBB workout! I am not one to like peanut butter, but I a thinking of making a recipe for my fiancé because he loves it! I usually only take 1 rest day, but sometimes I end up taking 2. After the burpee extravaganza today, I might take tomorrow and Sunday off!

Another peanut butter holiday!?! I’m fine with that! 🙂 Thanks for the recipes! Today is another Lenten Friday without meat for me so peanut butter will help me replace some of that missing protein today… what a sacrifice, haha!

I LOVE feather toppers! My only complaint…the last time that I had one it got feathers everywhere!! 🙁

Yay for rest days! They are so much needed, both for our physical and our mental health.

Peanut butter is so good that it definitely deserves more than one “holiday!” I am most definitely going to have to incorporate some into my eats today…which should not be too difficult! 😉

I take one too, and mine is also today! I’m about to change my schedule so it will be on Sunday from now on, but for some reason my body is always tired come Friday. Must be all that work! 😉

PS-I am obsessed with the peanut butter protein bars. I’ve made them a couple times and absolutely love them, so thank you!

I usually take two rest days. Sundays are my long run days when I’m training for a race, so my rests usually fall on Mondays and Thursdays. I too was wondering where to find the chia seeds in my grocery store. Thanks for answering that question! 🙂

I love that PB essentially gets two national holidays each year!
    Lately I have been taking at least 2, sometimes 3 rest days a week – I need to get my butt in gear!

I am all too familiar with the bubbling over pot of oatmeal, milk, or whatever it is. I always walk away! So silly.

I LOVE peanut butter. When I saw it was national peanut butter day, I immediately thought of you 🙂

I usually only take one rest day during the week, but today I am actually realllyyy not feeling a workout. So I think I’ll copy you and enjoy the rest. Happy Friday!

they certainly do have a day for everything, I love peanut butter everyday :). I typically take 1 rest day a week unless I am extra sore I will maybe take 2. Good luck at your trail run, I cannot wait to read about it!

Nowadays I always take 2, sometimes even 3 rest days. Though on at least one rest day I will still do something active that’s not in the gym, like a long walk (when weather permits) or yoga. I’ve found that for me, when I used to try to work out 6 days a week every week, I got burnt out, and I would find myself canceling plans with friends ALL THE TIME to make sure I got that 6th day in. My workouts were my #1 priority after school/work and it was interfering with my life. With my schedule, it just didn’t work. Now my workouts fit into my schedule, and I’m much happier for it, and honestly, not any less fit. It’s what works for me. 🙂

Ideally, 2 days of rest. I like to take classes at the gym and if I get stuck at work or in traffic I often miss the class and end up taking 4-5 rest days. I should probably start making a plan b. And I can’t believe 615 is sleeping in. You’re too funny!

Hahaha! I feel like this year has already had 3 different peanut butter-related holidays. And I’ve failed miserably at “celebrating” any of them. I don’t really like to plan my rest days. I just go off of how busy school is and how my body feels!

21. Cindy says

Funny you should ask about rest days. I am training right now for a half marathon at the end of April. But, I also do Crossfit. So, right now I do Crossfit 4 days a week. Run 2 days. Rest 1 day. I am wondering though if I should be cutting back Crossfit to 3 days and taking another rest day until the half is over. Not sure. Thoughts?

I use to only take one rest day but lately, I’ve been taking 2 and it’s really doing my body good. I’ve been working harder and longer hours and on my feet so much more so I’ve been honoring the fact that my body has been still working hard. Rest days are truly a wonderful thing!

• says

i use a keurig… but i fear it’s on its last leg! i use the refillable k-cups so i can use whatever coffee in it that i choose. (i LOVE flavored coffee – today’s flavor was hazelnut creme from the fresh market.)

Ideally I try to go for 2 days of rest, but sometimes that gets messed up and I end up with 3-4 days off. I just try to listen to my body because some weeks I need more rest than others 🙂

Is there really a big taste difference between steel cut prepared oats and instant oats? I’ve been meaning to give them a try sometime, but I find I don’t really have the time to make them in the morning!

-Sarah (Inklings Read)

• says

if you’re short on time, you can make them the night before! they definitely take longer than instant oats. i’ve also read about people bringing them to a boil on the stovetop at night and letting them sit in the fridge overnight… might be worth looking into!

24. Chamois says

I am currently training to run a full marathon at the end of April so my rest day have gotten more and more “restful” as the weeks get closer to the race and the Saturday long runs get waaayy longer. Unfortunately I have developed really bad shin splints in my left shin, so I’ve tried to modify the runs during the week to inclined slower runs. Have you ever gotten shin splints? I’ve had mine for about a month, and though I know rest is important I have a fear of sacrificing my long Saturday runs during training. Any advice?

• says

i did when i was running in nike shox a long time ago! have you been fitted for a good running shoe at a local running store? that might be worth looking into. i feel like quality shoes can make a HUGE difference!

• Chamois says

I was fitted for Mizuno Wave Runners in November and have Super Feet inserts which are meant to last longer than the shoe! I got these shoes after my first bout of shin splints this summer and they went away for a long time, but now are seeking revenge again.

25. Lizzie says

I find that when I don’t take 1-2 rest days a week, I begin to lose energy and lose motivation – and that defeats this purpose of exercising in the first place, AmIRight? Rest does a body good and I’m no less fit for it!

1-2 depending on how hard I’m working out or training. If I’m doing loong saturday runs (7 or 8+) I need Friday and Sunday as rest. I find not resting is a great way to get hurt!!

Good luck on your trail race Sunday! Can’t wait to read all about it 😀 I take monday’s as rest days, because I pretty much have class from 9am to 6pm and it’s a cooking class, so we are on our feet the whole time. This also gives me recovery from my long runs on Sunday’s.

I’m actually really bad at taking a complete rest day. I like to do at least something….so I try to work different muscles. Do cardio on the bike, then an ab workout, then a leg one….never repeating the same workout two consecutive days. A day off would probably be beneficial though.

29. Emily from IOWA says

To avoid the over spill while cooking, I usually boil my steel cut oats for 5 minutes then let them sit overnight with the lid on. The next morning I just heat them up and add in my goodies while they’re warming.

I usually take about two days off, but if I am away or have an extra long day at work, I don’t beat myself up over taking more off. I do find that the more days I go in a row, the more consistent I am with continuing the routine each week. Sometimes it is harder for me to get to the gym on cross-training days–I just love running so much!

I’ve been taking rest days as I feel like my body needs it lately, and it’s normally about 2-3 days–depending on my schedule and my energy levels. 🙂 And you’re right~there’s a special day for everything. I wonder if we can come up with one! lol

32. Jessica says

I see some of your peanut butter recipes are featured on FabFitFun today, for the holiday! Awesome 🙂 I LOVE those Peanut Butter Protein Bars!

I like how you say you slept in today..and then in the next sentence say it’s until 6:15 am. Love it! Sleeping in to me is like 8 am, and I thought I was an early riser! I generally take 2 rest days a week, sometimes more if my body feels like it really needs it.

34. Sarah says

I’m in the 2 or so days of rest category… I’m still easing into going to the gym and being active more consistently and I don’t want to kill my motivation. I try not to get too worked up if it doesn’t happen – just press the reset button for the next day and give it another shot!
    I made your peanut butter granola the other day, but added some sliced almonds and banana chips from the bulk bins. I can see this becoming an addiction pretty quickly!

I take waaayyy more rest days than I should probably way too often. Hence why I need a race or plan to follow! But I definitely celebrated peanut butter day today with some PB&J

36. Niki says

Good luck on your race on Sunday. I am trying to make myself take days off from working out but I have another 20 lbs to lose and I just want it to come off so I am afraid if I don’t work out I will gain weight back.

37. Erika says

I take one or two days off a week. Usually Fridays and Mondays. Yay for PBLD! I had some in my oatmeal this morning! I was wondering if you had rest days. Good luck on Sunday. 🙂

I take 1-2 rest days per week. I honestly prefer to only take one, but lots of the time I just get busy and end up taking two rest days! I know that’s okay though. Rest days are just as important!!

39. Laura Katherine Clark says

I actually have a really hard time letting myself have “rest days”. I know I need at least 1 per week because I am so prone to injury and I walk a minimum of 2-3 miles a day regularly(I go to a VERY hilly school); but it’s such a stress relief, my day feels incomplete without it. I struggle with feeling guilty if I don’t get my sweat on as well.. Balance something I’m trying to work on this year, lots of progress to be made!

• Chamois says

I had the same mindset all through undergrad! I would get to the gym as late as 10pm if I didn’t have time to get sweaty during the day. You’ll become comfortable with yourself, eventually and realize that either you’ll get hurt or you won’t be able to put in a great workout every time. When I started training for half-marathons and ended up with a stress fracture in my foot 3 days prior to my first race I had an awakening! I think longer runs with bigger goals has helped turn my head to what’s more important–health! Both mind and body! You can do it!

I intend to take 2 rest days, but lately I’ve had 3 because I either haven’t had time or haven’t felt up to doing an easy workout the day after my long runs. I’m training for my first full marathon, so after doing 22 miles you sort of don’t feel like doing much the next day!

Looks like some tasty peanut butter recipes you linked up there, I’m going to have to check those out! A girl can’t have too much nut butter in her life I say.

I typically take one rest day per week, two if I have a race on the weekend. I don’t “relax” very well, or sit still ever!

42. Naomi says

I typically take two rest days per week, but lately due to my schedule it’s been more like three. Oh well, this way I have been more motivated on the days I do make it to the gym so it all works out.

43. Kristin D. says

What do you put in your coffee? I like mine light & sweet & usually just use creamer like Coffeemate but I know it’s not the best health wise for me to be using. Any suggestions for a healthier alternative that adds flavor & sweetness like Coffeemate?