Rest Day Friday

This morning I slept in for a bit which wasn’t too hard to do thanks to our new crazy-comfy feather topped bed. If you’re on the fence about purchasing a feather topper, I kindly nudge you to do so. It’s lovely!

I awoke around 6:15 a.m. with a grumbling stomach.

Hot steel cut oats called to me.

steel cut oats with milk and honey

I made the oats on the stove top with milk and a bit of honey and though I had a bit of an overflow issue (don’t walk away from from a bubbling pot of oats… duh), the taste was great and that’s all that matters to this girl. Before removing the oats from the stovetop, I stirred in a spoonful of almond butter and topped them with a sprinkling of chia seeds. Quite the satisfying breakfast!

I ate my breakfast at the computer as I finished up a writing assignment. It felt good to email that baby off before 8 a.m. Hooray for a productive Friday!

And double hooray for coffee!

coffee

Rest Day Friday

I don’t have a workout on the agenda for today since I usually take Sunday as a rest day and will be running in my first trail race on Sunday this weekend. Since I prefer to take 1 – 2 days off from the gym every week, a relaxed Friday sounded like a good way to go.

National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day

As Monica reminded me yesterday, today is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day! (This day is not to be confused with National Peanut Butter Day in January. There is holiday for everything, huh?)

cup of peanut butter

I would be remiss if I didn’t at least acknowledge this day on the blog, so Happy National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day to my fellow peanut butter fanatics out there!

Here are some of my favorite recipes to help you celebrate:

Question of the Morning

• How many rest days do you take a week?

Comments

1. Lizzie says

I find that when I don’t take 1-2 rest days a week, I begin to lose energy and lose motivation – and that defeats this purpose of exercising in the first place, AmIRight? Rest does a body good and I’m no less fit for it!

1-2 depending on how hard I’m working out or training. If I’m doing loong saturday runs (7 or 8+) I need Friday and Sunday as rest. I find not resting is a great way to get hurt!!

Good luck on your trail race Sunday! Can’t wait to read all about it :D I take monday’s as rest days, because I pretty much have class from 9am to 6pm and it’s a cooking class, so we are on our feet the whole time. This also gives me recovery from my long runs on Sunday’s.

I’m actually really bad at taking a complete rest day. I like to do at least something….so I try to work different muscles. Do cardio on the bike, then an ab workout, then a leg one….never repeating the same workout two consecutive days. A day off would probably be beneficial though.

5. Emily from IOWA says

To avoid the over spill while cooking, I usually boil my steel cut oats for 5 minutes then let them sit overnight with the lid on. The next morning I just heat them up and add in my goodies while they’re warming.

I usually take about two days off, but if I am away or have an extra long day at work, I don’t beat myself up over taking more off. I do find that the more days I go in a row, the more consistent I am with continuing the routine each week. Sometimes it is harder for me to get to the gym on cross-training days–I just love running so much!

I’ve been taking rest days as I feel like my body needs it lately, and it’s normally about 2-3 days–depending on my schedule and my energy levels. :) And you’re right~there’s a special day for everything. I wonder if we can come up with one! lol

8. Jessica says

I see some of your peanut butter recipes are featured on FabFitFun today, for the holiday! Awesome :) I LOVE those Peanut Butter Protein Bars!

I like how you say you slept in today..and then in the next sentence say it’s until 6:15 am. Love it! Sleeping in to me is like 8 am, and I thought I was an early riser! I generally take 2 rest days a week, sometimes more if my body feels like it really needs it.

10. Sarah says

I’m in the 2 or so days of rest category… I’m still easing into going to the gym and being active more consistently and I don’t want to kill my motivation. I try not to get too worked up if it doesn’t happen – just press the reset button for the next day and give it another shot!
    I made your peanut butter granola the other day, but added some sliced almonds and banana chips from the bulk bins. I can see this becoming an addiction pretty quickly!

I take waaayyy more rest days than I should probably way too often. Hence why I need a race or plan to follow! But I definitely celebrated peanut butter day today with some PB&J

12. Niki says

Good luck on your race on Sunday. I am trying to make myself take days off from working out but I have another 20 lbs to lose and I just want it to come off so I am afraid if I don’t work out I will gain weight back.

13. Erika says

I take one or two days off a week. Usually Fridays and Mondays. Yay for PBLD! I had some in my oatmeal this morning! I was wondering if you had rest days. Good luck on Sunday. :)

I take 1-2 rest days per week. I honestly prefer to only take one, but lots of the time I just get busy and end up taking two rest days! I know that’s okay though. Rest days are just as important!!

15. Laura Katherine Clark says

I actually have a really hard time letting myself have “rest days”. I know I need at least 1 per week because I am so prone to injury and I walk a minimum of 2-3 miles a day regularly(I go to a VERY hilly school); but it’s such a stress relief, my day feels incomplete without it. I struggle with feeling guilty if I don’t get my sweat on as well.. Balance something I’m trying to work on this year, lots of progress to be made!

• Chamois says

I had the same mindset all through undergrad! I would get to the gym as late as 10pm if I didn’t have time to get sweaty during the day. You’ll become comfortable with yourself, eventually and realize that either you’ll get hurt or you won’t be able to put in a great workout every time. When I started training for half-marathons and ended up with a stress fracture in my foot 3 days prior to my first race I had an awakening! I think longer runs with bigger goals has helped turn my head to what’s more important–health! Both mind and body! You can do it!

I intend to take 2 rest days, but lately I’ve had 3 because I either haven’t had time or haven’t felt up to doing an easy workout the day after my long runs. I’m training for my first full marathon, so after doing 22 miles you sort of don’t feel like doing much the next day!

Looks like some tasty peanut butter recipes you linked up there, I’m going to have to check those out! A girl can’t have too much nut butter in her life I say.

I typically take one rest day per week, two if I have a race on the weekend. I don’t “relax” very well, or sit still ever!

18. Naomi says

I typically take two rest days per week, but lately due to my schedule it’s been more like three. Oh well, this way I have been more motivated on the days I do make it to the gym so it all works out.

19. Kristin D. says

What do you put in your coffee? I like mine light & sweet & usually just use creamer like Coffeemate but I know it’s not the best health wise for me to be using. Any suggestions for a healthier alternative that adds flavor & sweetness like Coffeemate?