With a ton of leftovers remaining from yesterday’s crock pot breakfast casserole, lunch today was a no-brainer.
I reheated the breakfast casserole and enjoyed it with a bowl of sliced strawberries.
And now I’m officially burnt out on crock pot breakfast casserole.
Little Things, Big Joy
Over the weekend, as I snacked on a bowl of Corn Pops, I thought to myself, “It’s kind of ridiculous how much joy I get out of snacking on this simple, sugary bowl of cereal.”
The cereal reminds me of snacking on Corn Pops as a child and transports me back to Saturday mornings spent watching Doug with my sister.
I then started to think about other little things that bring me a surprising amount of joy and thought it might be fun to hear what seemingly small, silly things make you guys oddly happy, too!
A few little things that bring me an odd amount of joy:
- Sadie’s tail-tucked run: I’m not sure if this is something all dogs do when they’re feeling particularly nutty, but whenever Sadie’s energy is absolutely off the wall, she runs around our backyard in circles with her tail tucked underneath her body. Ryan and I always laugh when the tail-tucked run comes out to play because we know she’s feeling extra spastic.
- Warm, cozy pajamas: Perhaps it’s because I live in Florida and am only able to wear winter pajamas to bed for a month or so out of the year, but extra-warm pjs make me feel so cozy and happy!
- Ridiculous group texts: I love it when a group text with friends spirals out of control and becomes completely ridiculous and hilarious. (Speaking of funny texts, this Cat Facts text I saw on Pinterest is too funny not to share.)
- Fun socks: There’s something so fun about wearing goofy socks. It’s a simple joy, but wearing heart socks on Valentine’s Day or pumpkin socks on Halloween makes me smile.
- Evening walks with Ryan and Sadie: Walking around the neighborhood with Ryan and Sadie at the end of the day is one of my favorite simple activities. It gives us a chance to catch up, vent, laugh and enjoy some time outside.
- A cappella music: I listen to music all day long and love a wide variety of music, but I am constantly amazed at the unbelievable talent of a cappella groups like Straight No Chaser and Pentatonix. And this video by Bobby McFerrin is freakin’ awesome. <—Watch it!
- Gel pens: As someone who takes a lot of notes for my freelance work, I absolutely love a good gel pen. If the gel pen writes in a fun color, that’s all the better!
Visiting the library: I used to visit the Palatine Public Library regularly when I was growing up and my love for libraries has stayed with me as an adult. I love browsing for a new book and enjoy the quiet, warm atmosphere. (Bonus points if I can check out the book I want to read immediately and don’t have to wait on a long wait list!)
Question of the Afternoon
What is something simple that brings you an unusual amount of joy?