St. Patrick’s Day Weekend

St. Patrick’s Day weekend is upon us!

Any fun plans out there?

Ryan and I will be spending the weekend with my sister and her boyfriend and have a day-trip to St. Augustine planned for tomorrow. We’ll also be running in a St. Patrick’s Day 10K together on Sunday morning. Our little foursome always has a blast together and I can’t wait!

Ross Leslie Julie Ryan

St. Augustine was actually the first mini-vacation Ryan and I took together after we started dating.

St. Augustine

We won’t be spending the night this weekend, but if you’re ever in the market for a fabulous bed and breakfast in St. Augustine, I highly recommend the Agustin Inn. Great location and super cute!

Workout

This morning we awoke bright dark and early and headed to the gym for a quick workout.

My legs are still a bit sore from Wednesday’s squat jump leg workout, so I took it easy today. I concentrated on steady state cardio until I got bored and decided to run through a quick circuit.

• 25 push ups (on my knees)
  • 50 sec. jump rope
  • 25 push ups (on my knees)
  • 50 sec. jump rope
  • 50 box jumps (very small box)
  • 50 high knees
  • 25 bicycle crunches
  • 25 kettlebell swings
  • 25 bicycle crunches
  • 25 kettlebell swings

Once we arrived home, it was time for food!

Ryan actually took my camera to work with him for a project and I completely forgot to remove the SD card with my breakfast pictures on it, so a recycled photo, it is!

Though breakfast was an obvious fail on the picture-front, it was a winner in the taste department.

peanut butter cookie dough overnight oats

Last night I prepped a batch of peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough overnight oats and enjoyed the oats with a hot mug of coffee this morning. I love ‘em!

Hope your Friday is off to a good start!

Question of the Morning

• What is one thing you’re looking forward to this weekend?
  • Any fun St. Patrick’s Day plans out there?

Comments

My husband and I have made this recipe twice this week and we can’t get enough! It’s just so easy and yummy! He’s running his first half marathon this Sunday and he’s requested this for his pre-race meal. Thank you for posting this recipe!

2. Brittany says

OH MY GOODNESS! We just went to St. Augustine with some friends this past week! I would HIGHLY recommend going to Cellar 6! Such an awesome atmosphere with live music! There is also a very cool winery with free wine tastings called the San Sebastian Winery. And, as always, just taking in the fresh beach air. Have fun!

Since I live in Chicago, I’m sure I’ll be able to find something halfway entertaining to do to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this weekend 😉 I’m also running a St. Patrick’s Day race tomorrow, which should be fun!

I’ve been making your pb oatmeal cookie dough oats pretty much every other day since you first posted the recipe and I’m loving them! It’s still pretty chilly around here so I’ve been making them hot instead of overnight, but they’re still fantastic. I’ve also been putting in a 1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract, which definitely has been a game changer as far as I’m concerned (though I also use plain almond milk, not vanilla, so maybe it wouldn’t make a difference for yours with the vanilla almond milk).

We aren’t doing anything too special that I know of for St. Patrick’s Day, but I am looking forward to more of a low key weekend! The last few weekends have been crazy busy, so it’ll be nice to have some downtime and get some stuff done around the house. Enjoy your time with your sister and her boyfriend! Sounds like a fun time!

I’m literally setting a reminder to prep this overnight oats breakfast tonight, I really want to try it tomorrow morning! And I have exciting St. patty’s plans…heading to Newport, RI for a girls weekend to enjoy the parade! Can’t wait!

6. Ashley says

I am looking forward to sleeping in! I am currently reading your tips for new runners and getting on a morning workout schedule routine so thank you for all the advice! As a newbie to fitness, I am hoping to make it a lifestyle.

7. Chamois says

I finally caved in and tried the jelly-with-egg-sandwich combo this morning and I’m hooked! I used a Thomas Everything bagel thin with some Crofters Superfruit spread (raspberries, red grapes, and yumberries…..yumberries? I feel like I’m in Willy Wonka at the part with the lickable wallpaper). For St. Patrick’s my husband and I are joining his cousins for a 15 miler training run–we all have marathons coming up! Then I make Colcannon! I had it first in London. Basically it’s mashed potatoes with olive oil and milk, then boiled cabbage stirred in–I love it.

I LOVE St. Patrick’s Day Weekend! My family is crazy-irish and it’s a big, fun, bonding weekend for us all. On the agenda is two parades and two big family parties. Have I mentioned that my family has their own bagpipe band (yes, there’s a lot of us) and I love the Irish sing-a-longs and dance-offs my family participates in :)

9. Ruthie says

Thanks again for that recipe, Julie! I’ve made them a few times already, and they’re delicious!

I’m running my first half marathon tomorrow – the DC Rock and Roll. I’m a little nervous about the weather (potential rain), but I know I can power through! :) Have fun in St. Augustine! Such a beautiful place.

I love that you have so much fun with your little foursome…My sister and her husband are the same way with us and I just love all the fun we get to have together. They live in Florida now and with us still in KY, we don’t get to see them nearly enough so it makes our time together that much more exciting and memorable.

My husband and I are running in a 5K together for St. Patty’s day and I’m SUPER excited to try and beat him :)

Have so much fun in St. Augustine! My mom started renting a condo on the beach in St. Augustine Beach for the month of April a few years ago and I have loved going down to visit (from Boston) every year. Counting down the days until this years trip. What a beautiful place! Though the alligator farm is scary!!

There is a St. Patricks Day 5k at my school this weekend for a fundraiser that I’m excited about. I love involving my students in fitness related events (and actually host a fitness event for my class once a month) so this is right up our alley.

I know your not a physical therapist and i’m only asking your opinion because you seem SO knowledgeable – but what cardio/leg workouts would you suggest for someone who injured their knee last year (nothing major but it’s still sore from time to time)? Are there ones that aren’t as “difficult” on your knees? I’d like to strengthen it up and don’t want to do a outwork that could make it worse.

14. Brittany says

I’ll be running the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach! It’ll be my third half marathon and I am definitely looking forward to those 3 free green Yuenglings (phew, that’s a tongue twister!) after the finish! :) Good luck on your race!

That sounds like a fun St. Patrick’s weekend! My fiance and I are going to dinner with friends tonight, going to a party tomorrow, and going to Ted talks and scouting out a place that makes veggie shepherds pie on Sunday!

You and Leslie are so cute together! I feel like y’all have the same relationship that my sister and I have. Very goofy and silly, but also really close. I’m excited about this weekend because I find out if I made my school Varsity cheer squad. Ahhh!!!

doing a 1/2 marathon training race tomorrow out on some trails. not looking forward to the 7 am start. lol. but I am looking forward to the ice cream and beer after :) We might go to my Irish friends party on the 17th.

18. Anne says

Ahhhhh have so so so much fun in my hometown!!!
    Let me know if you want any tips! It’s come such a long way in the past 2-3years!!

I LOVED St. Augustine when we visited for a family vacation! The food was amazing-some great seafood and just cute little shops everywhere. There is a lot of history as well! Just a beautiful Spanish town with a lot to offer, even for only a quick vacation.

This looks like a pretty solid circuit, I’ve really been needing to mix it up! I also can’t wait for St Patricks Day because it’s the first one since I moved to LA and I can’t to cheer on the LA marathon runners while I knock back some green beer and think, maybe next year :)

21. Dorothy Cavanagh says

I am actually going to California on Saturday, for my Spring Break!!!! and then on St. Patrick’s Day my family and I are going to their Irish Pub.

22. Melissa says

Hey quick question! When you have workouts that require you to do something on both sides of your body (i.e. bicycle crunches, high knees, etc), do you count 1 as one time through both sides or 1 per side? I hope this makes sense haha :)

23. Lauren says

This is completely unrelated to St. Patty’s day, but you mentioned that your morning workout included kettle bell swings, and I was curious what weight of kettle bell you use? I’d been wanting to try to add kettle bells to my workouts but didn’t know which size to buy… Thanks for your help!

Hope you guys have fun on you mini vacay! I am running a half marathon tomorrow and then relaxing! I have all of next week off of training (aside from 2 soccer games and a rugby practice!) so I’m excited to just rest up!

My husband LOVES corned beef, while I just can’t take it, so this weekend we’ll go drink beer downtown (which will be even more awesome this year, because the weather is PERFECT, and nothing says spring like a green beer drank outside) before going to Dempsy’s, a gourmet burger joint in our home town that makes the BEST corned beef sandwhich – Mark’s annual St. Paddy’s Day treat! lol. That’s true love!

I am SO looking forward to going to Canlis tomorrow. It’s Seattle’s best ranked restaurant and is supposed to be OUTSTANDING! My boyfriend was invited for something that was work-related, and I get to be his date :-) I can’t wait! It’s super fancy, so I get to dress up too!

Recycled photo or not, I NEED to make these ASAP. I hope you have a good time this weekend! I think the best vacation spots are the ones which hold a good memory!

I know what you mean by “dark” and early! I get up at 5:00 am to workout, too, and not having ANY daylight during my workout is tough. I like summer best when the sun comes out really early. I’m always in a better mood and it’s easier to get going when the bright shiney ball in the sky is helping me out! :)

Looking forward to a long run and lots of green beer tomorrow 😀 I don’t know of any races going on in my area of FL, although I’m sure there are. I’m just gonna do a run on my own and then get ready for the evening’s festivities! We have a big Irish bar down here so they’re throwing a huge street party and I cannot wait! I’m also going to wear 50 shades of green… and not care about matching at all!

I’m working in the heart of the action this weekend! I don’t mind though, getting paid to be involved in the cheer…I’m sure I might feel a little bit differently come Tuesday but I’ll enjoy it at the time! Do you guys get a long weekend there?

31. Lindsay says

Julie, I love your blog and your voice, but everytime you write the word “awoke”, I cringe for some reason. I think it’s because it seems so formal and forced compared to your easy going style.

• Lindsay says

Yeah, I know it’s weird, but it just seems forced! I can’t remember the last time I heard someone say it outloud, let alone write it! It just isn’t all that colloquial of a word, even though the rest of your writing is, if that make sense, which I think it why I think it sticks out to me!

• jillian says

Julie, I’m also a big fan, so this is meant as constructive criticism — but I agree with Lindsay. “Awoke” always seems overly formal and odd to me. It breaks the flow and jolts me as a reader. Take it or leave it, just wanted to chime in, in hopes of being helpful :)

• Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers says

I definitely appreciate the feedback! I guess it’s just a word I use regularly so I never really thought anything of it. I know odd vocabulary can throw me off when I’m reading something as well, so I appreciate the feedback!

32. Pam Cook says

We love St. Augustine! If you get the opportunity, go to Mango Mango’s on A1A beach blvd. It is a little hole in the wall with amazing food. We eat there everytime we go. The fish sliders are my favorite.

I keep forgetting it’s St. Patrick’s Day weekend! Last year around this time, Brandon and I were having a great time at a wine tasting and drinking green beer. This year, I’m 37 weeks pregnant, so I can only dream about those things! 😉

34. Nicole says

Hope you guys have a great weekend! Your oats look soooo delicious!!

This weekend, my brother and boyfriend will be running a race. My boyfriend = 5K, Brother = 10K, me = 1/2 marathon. :) Should be fun!! Then on St. Patty’s, my boyfriend and I are going to drive up the California coast to Malibu and have lunch at Gladstone’s on the beach. YAY!!

I’m not a big St. Patty’s Day celebrator normally, but this weekend we are visiting friends out of town and attending their house party and neighborhood parade and neighborhood bar crawl later that night. It should be a fun time with lots of good people :)

Your overnight oats look reeeeeeally good – especially topped with those nuts (honey roasted peanuts?)!

Have fun with your sister and good luck with the 10K!

I miss waking up that early to work out! I’m on exercise restrictions after injuries suffered during my 1/2 marathon last weekend. The past 5 days I’ve been going stir crazy with not being allowed to do anything! My plans for the weekend would have included spin class and a long run, but now, nothing but rest. Ugh.

Have fun in my little city tomorrow:):) If you want to do more then just drink at the Irish bars: Get popsicles from the Hyppo, go to The Floridian for great healthy locally raised food an an awesome atmosphere, and if you go to the beach get tacos from a little food truck Nalu’s<- its parked at the entrance to the Anastasia state park which is across from the gym I work at:):)

38. Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com says

I’m looking forward to sushi tonight at a highly- recommended place where we’re staying on our mini-break!

39. Kristy @ Southern In-Law says

This weekend I am actually looking forward to spending some downtime cleaning and organising – only because it’s in preparation for my fiancé finally moving home! Plus, every day is one day closer to getting him from the airport for the last time!

I’ve never done anything for St Patricks day as its not really too popular here in Australia (unless you go to an Irish bar or are Irish I suppose!)

40. Adrianna says

I avoided the party scene at the college I attend, and instead headed to the Rock n’ Roll USA race in DC. My first half-marathon! Thanks for all of your support Julie, you are truly an inspiration! Keep it up :)

You can easily get ceiling fan as market is full of this item but
    it becomes important to trust only the renowned name.
    Third type is named as ceiling fans with 3 lights and where the room is small it is the most efficient option.

We can mix-and-match one brand to another to create a look no one else
    goes as far to offer.