Slow Songs That Pump You Up

Watching Sadie run around outside is such a simple thing that brings me so much joy. I think that’s one of the reasons why I enjoy our trail runs together so much. She runs all over the place, sniffing everything in her path and it’s clear she’s having an absolute blast!

This afternoon, right before lunchtime, we drove out to some nearby trails for a five mile run. The intense Florida heat is slowly returning and it was in the low 80s which meant it was a HOT run.

Panting Dog

Hot dawg!

During today’s run, the song “Champagne High” by Sister Hazel came on my iPod and I found it oddly energizing. I typically gravitate toward fast, upbeat music when I create workout playlists, but sometimes a slower song motivates me, too. “Walking in Memphis” by Lonestar (yes, I prefer the remake) and “My Immortal” by Evanescence (I love the way it builds) are two of my  favorite running pump up songs.

Lunch

Once we were done with our run, I took a quick shower before it was time to prepare lunch.

Lunch today was a two-parter. It started cold and ended hot!

Cold = Smoothie!

Smoothie with Spinach

(Frozen banana + Frozen strawberries + Chocolate protein powder + Cocoa powder + Fresh spinach + Almond milk)

Hot = Sausage, Egg, Spinach and Cheese Scramble

IMG_0560

IMG_0563

I liked the eggs so much for lunch that I’m thinking it might be a breakfast for dinner kind of night in the Fagan household!

Question of the Afternoon

• What slow song pumps you up during a workout?

Comments

1. britney says

Hello! Just wondering how your job and hours work? It seems like such a luxury! Wake…run…lunch..etc! I get up at 4am daily to workout before work so its unrelateable to me! Trying to see how ill fit in chicago marathon training with a 8 to 6 job…and get in strength training too! Do you set your own schedule? Thanks!

There are a ton of R&B jams that come on when I am in my car that I just start singing (AKA: SCREAMING) to… I guess my screaming turns them into fast tempo songs, lol… Unfortunately I have NO IDEA what they’re called but when they come on, I get so excited!! :)

Slow songs don’t really pump me up. I need something like a favorite upbeat song or just look at pinterest workouts and that gets me excited to get my sweat on. Haha.
    I enjoy NO music while running. Yepp, I’m one of those runners. The ones that refuse to listen to music and just listen to my breathing. (I converted)

“Sail” by Awolnation immediately came to my mind when I thought “slow pump-up songs”. Like you said about “My Immortal”, this song builds, and sometimes it’s a refreshing change of pace!

-Chelsea

5. Tanya says

My vizsla loves running in the woods too! It makes my heart smile to see her loving life! It’s the best! Does Sadie get tired easier in the heat? I have noticed that the alabama heat is really getting to my dog. But maybe she just has to get used to it.

6. Meagan says

I love your blog! You inspire me and I’ve completed 3 of your workoutsso far :) I love these songs for my runs
    Sail:awolnation
    Radioactive: imagine dragons, ( I can’t WAIT to participate in the run for your lives run in oct this ones the commercial:)
    Awaken my soul: Mumford &sons
    Around here: counting crows
    Fighter:Christina aguileria
    Just a few of my faces ;)

Hello there Julie! I’ve never commented before, but I’m a long time reader! Thought it was about time to say hi. Wanted to tell you that I adore your blog – it is always interesting and I get so many great ideas from you! I’ve been blogging since 2003, but you have inspired me to take it up a notch and maybe try blogging as a job! I am also into healthy eating and fitness (I’m not quite as healthy as you…YET, though!) and I love my doggie. Anyway – keep up the awesome work and I will try to be more interactive! Oh, and my new fav slower dance type song is “Connected” by Stereo MC. So catchy!

~Cheryl

8. Kimberly says

I agree with the person above who said, “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons. Such a thunderous, awesome “slow” song for working out – as the beats pound down your FEET pound down, almost makes you want to leap onto anything in your path, Parkour style, like a boulder! lol

Another slow song great for working out: “Stand in the Rain” by Superchick. The chorus is very thunderous, and the vocals are excellent, with a bit of an Evanescence feel, if that’s what floats your boat.

as always, thanks for your awesome blog,
    Kimberly

It’s getting so HOT here in Texas too.
    And I don’t really do slow songs while running. I like a few while I walk and take a break though, to help cool me down! :)

There is nothing like an early morning run to get your system going. And no better companion than your faithful dog. I find some old R&B keeps my pace going.

Trail running with our dog is so much fun too! He absolutely LOVES it and starts panicked-crying whenever we get close to the trails because he’s so excited. We let him off the leash too and he just flies all over the place having a blast. The trails that we go to though have horses you can ride, so whenever we spot one of those we have to put him back on his leash. He’s very curious about horses now! haha

Love me some Sister Hazel! Fun fact: they will be at House of Blues in Orlando this Saturday if you’re looking for something awesome to do on a Saturday night! :) We never miss them when they are at HOB – always a great great show! :)

And I too find slower songs energizing during a workout!

I went through an embarrassingly huge Panic at the Disco phase. Their Vices and Virtues album has a lot of slower but powerful songs. I like the whole album but my favorites are The Calendar, Memories, and Trade Mistakes

14. Cathy says

My favorite slower running songs of the moment:
    Madness by Muse
    Wavin’ Flag by K’naan
    Only One by Yellowcard
    I’m Nothing by The 88

The job of a campingplatz krk nurse is going to have a good blood circulation.
    This is one region thatdefinitely has something for everyone and that one should not
    go a lifetimewithout seeing! Jammu and Kashmir is
    divided into three regions such as Jammu, the Kashmir valley and Ladakh.

As most of you know I was intimately involved with this year’s PhoCusWright’s campingplatz
    krk Innovation Summit. TheSwinger Cruise was with Yolo when they set sail on the first day of
    the week and you’ll hear horror stories about the economy.

16. Eric Niemen says

Slow Pump Up Songs:
    God’s Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash
    Grave Digger by Willie Nelson
    I always play them in my headphones before a game, kinda calms your nerves but gets your adrenaline up.