Father’s Day Bowling

My father-in-law arrived in Ocala right after lunchtime yesterday. He was greeted with lots of whimpers and wiggles from Sadie who absolutely adores him. (They spent 10 days together when we visited Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands and seriously bonded. It’s adorable.)

About an hour after he arrived, we decided to spend the afternoon at the bowling alley.

ryan and dad

Bowling Shoes

None of us are bowling superstars, but we had fun bowling and trash talking each other whenever we’d get a spare or a strike.

IMG_1916

The music at the bowling alley was rockin’, so we couldn’t resist making up mini victory dances whenever we’d knock all the pins down, too. My favorite was Ryan’s spare-turned-salute arm dance. I realize that is probably difficult to visualize, and I think that’s for the best.

Since my bowling skills are subpar, if I break 100, then I am a happy girl. During our first game, Ryan’s dad and I tied with 101!

photo (26)

At first I made the mistake of bowling with a ball that was much too light for me (hence the two zeros in my first two frames), but once I changed to a 10-pound ball, I felt better and started knocking a few pins down.

IMG_1917

And yes, we gave each other ridiculous pseudonyms.

Ryan ended up winning every game and as his wife and father, my father-in-law and I were very happy for him.

Can’t you tell?

photo (27)

Ha! Sneak attack! My father-in-law cracks me up.

During our time at the bowling alley, Ryan and I split a chocolate chip cookie which didn’t really do anything for our hunger, so we headed out for an early dinner once we finished our games.

IMG_1915

Dinner

For dinner, we took Ryan’s dad to the Artisinal Dish, one of our favorite places in Ocala. It’s part gourmet grocery store, part restaurant!

IMG_1921

IMG_1922

The food served at the Artisinal Dish is organic and incredibly fresh. You order at a counter and can buy bottles of beer and wine by the glass to enjoy as you wait for your food to be brought out to you.

IMG_1924

I loved my scallop salad and sides of curried sweet potato salad and coleslaw.

IMG_1926

IMG_1925

I can’t wait to try to recreate the sweet potato salad at home. It was fabulous!

Once we made it home, we hung out on the couch and watched Argo, which we all agreed was really good. Even though we knew what was going to happen in the end, it was still suspenseful and easily held my attention. I get bored quite easily when I watch movies, so this one was a winner in my book.

***

Happy Father’s Day to all of the fathers, fathers-to-be and father-like figures out there!

Comments

1. Heather says

Woah! That’s crazy, I just randomly found that place on yelp yesterday. We live in Clermont and were in Ocala for the bike race this weekend. I loved that restaurant! Your scallops look delicious. I had their curried quinoa salad and vegan meatloaf. I’d definitely go back!

I heart bowling, I haven’t gone in forever since they shut the bowling place down where I live. How rude, right.
    Sounds like a great time with your Dad!

Ha! Bowling isn’t one of my talents either ;) . That sweet potato salad looks amazing! I’ve never thought of using sweet potatoes instead of regular ones, so if you’re able to recreate the recipe, I’d love it if you could share it!

It was a(n unexpected) rainy day here yesterday so my husband and I decided to go bowling, too! We played 2 games and had a tons of fun…I don’t know that last time we went bowling even.
    I loved the movie Argo, too – it kept my attention the entire time!

If I break 50 in bowling I’m happy – if it were up to me I’d still use those bumper things. The restaurant reminds me of a place we went to in Charleston, Bull Street Market – same concept, part restaurant/part gourmet grocery. I loved it – like a hidden gem!

My hubby and I bowled yesterday too with a bunch of his coworkers! I even won $8 off a fun card game that went along with the bowling game. Makin it rain! ;) we tied our last game with a 113… What are the odds of tying?! Have a great day pbf!

I haven’t been bowling in years…I really need to go again! Looks like you guys had a great time.

Dinner looks so delicious! I love restaurants that sell all organic food, unfortunately, there aren’t too many of those places around me yet. I hope more come soon!

I haven’t seen Argo yet, but it’s our list of movies to watch!

Sounds like an awesome father’s day! The grocery store kind of reminds me of the Whole Foods in my home town. They have a tap room where you can order beer and sit down and eat food right in the grocery store. I love it!

Did you get Ryan a card for being Sadies dad?!? My BF and I have a almost 9 month old German Shepherd and he was said I didn’t get him a card / present. I think it was just because he loves presents though…