Leslie and Ross: The Proposal

Leslie and Ross are getting married!

Ross and Leslie

I could not be more thrilled for them. They truly are the perfect match and every part of me is beyond excited for their wedding day!

For those of you who may be new to the blog, Ross is actually one of Ryan’s best friends from college. He was even a groomsman in our wedding and popped up on the blog many times before he started dating Leslie. I met Ross through Ryan and he quickly became a good friend of mine when I was a freshman in college. I’ve known him for nearly 10 years and think the world of him. (Fun fact: When Leslie and Ross started dating, “Ross” became the number one search term on my blog for a solid month!)

Ross and Leslie started dating the year after our wedding and from the moment my sister told me about their first date, I had a feeling they stumbled upon something really special. I could tell there was something different and unique about their relationship and I was excited to watch it grow. As they continued dating, it was apparent to everyone around them that their love was the real deal. They were caring and affectionate. Patient and fun-loving. A great match!

A couple of weeks ago, Ross let me and my family in on his plans to propose. We were thrilled! After hearing Leslie and Ross tell the story of the proposal, it sounds like it was absolutely amazing! I’m so glad our family could be a part of the surprise at the end of the day! But let’s back up to the beginning…

The Proposal

Early last week, Ross had one of his coworkers email him, telling him he needed to come into work for a few hours on the 4th of July. He forwarded the email to Leslie with a sad face in the email body, but told her they’d do something fun to make up for it and to be ready around noon.

Well, that was all a ruse! Ross really set his alarm for 6 a.m. on the 4th of July, drove to St. Augustine, walked more than a mile down a secluded beach and set up a little picnic spot for them to visit later.

St. Augustine Beach

In the early afternoon, they  got together and drove back down to St. Augustine to spend the day by the water.

First up was kayaking!

DSC_0842

DSC_0857

Then they rode beach cruisers along the beach, looking for a spot to stop to eat. After they had been riding for a while, Leslie said they should pick a spot and Ross joked that they should hijack some random peoples’ stuff. When he went to sit in their chairs, Leslie said they couldn’t really takeover someone’s picnic and that’s when Ross explained that he set it up for them earlier that day.

St. Augustine Proposal

She was shocked and said she thought it was so sweet!

Not long after that, on the secluded beach, Ross told Leslie he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her and that he wanted the rest of his life to start right at that moment. (Yes, I cried when he told this part of the story to me!)

Beach Proposal

DSC_0871

DSC_0880

She was shocked and so, so excited! Leslie said her mind was racing and that she can’t remember most of what Ross said when he proposed! She remembers him getting down on one knee and feeling so surprised when she saw the ring, but her thoughts were moving a mile a minute.

Leslie with ring

That picture of her makes me smile so big. Pure joy!

DSC_0868

The surprises didn’t stop there! Ross planned for a captain to meet them in St. Augustine and take them for a romantic 60-minute boat cruise following the proposal.

DSC_0899

The boat took them all around St. Augustine.

DSC_0921

Everyone was out and about to check out the 4th of July fireworks!

DSC_0931

The cruise then dropped them off at Cap’s on the Water, the restaurant where they had their first date.

r

And that’s where we came in! Ross had his mom and our family waiting at the restaurant to surprise Leslie when they arrived!

We got there about 40 minutes early and anxiously sipped on mojitos as we waited for them to arrive.

DSC_0087 DSC_0092 DSC_0094 DSC_0095

Once I spotted their boat in the distance, I started freaking out. Luckily the other people dining outside at Cap’s were really into the proposal as well and didn’t mind me popping in beside their tables to snap some pictures as the captain docked their boat.

DSC_0098  DSC_0113

Heeeere they come!

DSC_0121

Surprise!!!

DSC_0125

Leslie was absolutely shocked that we were all in on the big surprise and she said that she was so happy Ross thought to include our family in their special day.

DSC_0167

DSC_0942-001

DSC_0145

DSC_0154

We all agreed that we felt honored to share such a special moment with Leslie and Ross. My dad ordered two bottles of champagne for the table and we made sure to toast to the newly engaged couple!

DSC_0948-001  DSC_0951

DSC_0152

After Leslie and Ross took us through their whole proposal story, we ordered dinner and more drinks and had a great time celebrating their engagement and the 4th of July!

Caps on the Water

DSC_0153

photo (11)

DSC_0170

DSC_0182

It was the perfect 4th of July.

Congratulations to Ross and Leslie!!!

Comments

1. Elizabeth@ my neon running shoes says

Leslie is going to LOVE being able to have this to read and look back on forever! Congrats to them 🙂

2. Kelsey says

Congratulations to your whole family! My sister’s marrying next year and I’m getting pretty nervous/excited. I just love all the joy in these photos though. Even the woman popping the champagne looks thrilled. What a day!

3. Lauren says

So happy for her!! Any chance to get an up close pic of the ring??

Congrats Leslie and Ross! And congrats Julie to making Ross a member of the family:)

4. Leslie says

Julie, it means so much to Ross and me that you took time to capture our special day in the most perfect way! We love you so much!!!

5. Kimberly says

Wooooooooo hoooooo!!! Yayyyy!!! I’m so excited for them! After I saw the many different stories of how well you all got along as a foursome, I thought, “those two are headed down the aisle one day.” You just can’t stop a run away love train when friends, family, and everyone around you falls in love with your love too. It’s inevitable!!

Thanks to you and to them for letting us in on the surprise. Made me a little teary having all the family at the restaurant waiting to greet them. Sooooo special – I love what a close knit group of people you are. xoxoxo!

Also, has anybody ever commented that your sister looks a bit like Sienna Miller and Elizabeth Banks? A blend!

Congrats again to your happy sister, the happy couple, and the happy extended family. 🙂 Woo hoo!

blessings,
    Kimberly

I had absolute chills down my spine with that story! What an amazing and incredibly special and well thought out proposal. You can tell how much Ross must love your sister to go to that effort and I love that he included all of you in the proposal too, and the boat cruise to top it off 😀

Congratulations again to your sister and now new fiancé!!

7. Tamara says

I was absolutely GRINNING while reading that whole post!!!!! Congratulations to the newlyweds!!!!! Thanks Julie for sharing such a special day!!!

I’ve been reading your blog for nearly 3 years now and even though I’ve never met you and your family I feel so much excitement for you all and Leslie and Ross! What an exciting moment! Ross did a great job planning everything! Can’t wait for the posts to come about wedding planning and then the weddin post! So happy for your family!

9. AJ says

How adorable! I was wondering when all this would happen seeing as Ross has been included in all the family events for a while. Congrats and Best Wishes to them on a lifetime of love and happiness!!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

10. Bridget says

What a wonderful day for Leslie, Ross and your entire family! They seem like a great couple, and I can’t wait to read about the plans for their wedding – and the inevitable crafting of the matron of honor!

11. Gina G says

I kept saying the whole way through in my head “I’m so happy for them!!”. Congrats again to them both and thanks so much for sharing the story with us! 🙂

One big massive congratulations to the beautiful couple!! They are so cute together 🙂 the proposal sounds amazing! Something people write about, dream of, wish.. Even maybe watch in movies! The both of you (you Julie and your sister!) are so lucky to have found amazing men to spend the rest of your lives together 🙂 ! I’m such a hopeless romantic,
    It really sounds like the perfect proposal 🙂

What an awesome proposal story! That’s amazing how much he arranged ahead of time and I bet you’re so thrilled to get started on the wedding planning!

14. Meg says

Even that first picture (with her on his back) made me emotional. They both look so happy and excited!! Congratulations to both of them 🙂

This is such a wonderful story and I’m really glad he decided to include your families, as well! I think it makes the moment extra special when you get the entire family involved to celebrate! Congratulations to them both!

What a great engagement story! You totally made me cry as I was reading it. Your sister looks so incredibly happy, and I’m sure her wedding will be wonderful.

17. Jill says

Awesome. Your sis and future brother-in-law are such a good looking couple. Look like they stepped off a win on The Bachelor/Bachelorette – seriously!

That photo shot of you and Ryan? Amazingly gorgeous. Gosh you guys are freaking all beautiful…how about sharing some of that around? 🙂

18. Elisabeth says

Awwwww! They are so cute together! The story totally made me tear up a little 🙂 So excited to read more about the future wedding adventures!

19. Aska says

What a perfect proposal!! I seriously couldn’t wait to read this post when I read that Leslie and Ross were engaged! Such a happy weekend for all of you- congratulations Leslie and Ross!!

20. Katie says

This was such an adorable idea! I bet you are thrilled to be able to wedding plan again 😀 Just a thought…But I’d love for Leslie to do a guest post!! 🙂

21. monica says

Just perfect! One question: How did Leslie get so gorgeous for dinner out after spending the day biking, kayaking, on the beach, and on a boat? I’d be a wreck. Of course, I’m an old broad, so there’s that.

22. Carly says

What a lucky girl Leslie is!!! Such a great proposal and wonderful story to read!! Congrats to your growing family! “)

HOW SWEET!!! Loving all the pics captured of this special time for them!!!! Congrats to them!!! How exciting!

I love that he had your family waiting there, my husband did the same thing when he proposed, he brought me to my families house and they had champagne, food, and a cake waiting! It was so sweet and so thoughtful!!!

24. Kelly says

I echo many of the comments yesterday in that I hope it’s not creepy to be so excited for someone we don’t even know!

However….this story brings tears to my eyes — we’ve gotten to know Ross & Leslie through your posts & I am SO happy for them both & cannot wait to hear all about the wedding prep 🙂

25. Shannon says

Oh I just am so excited for all of you! Totally agree that the look of joy on Leslie’s face is priceless 🙂 Everything sound just perfect. Congratulations to all.

it must be so fun for your sister to see all these “strangers” celebrating her engagement! I nearly wrote “so odd,” (in a good way!!!) but I imagine they are used to being blog-lebrities! How cook that the two couples overlap in several ways….now you just need to plan (and get nature to be cooperative) on having the cousins the same age so they can grow up together (no pressure!!!). And I just need to stop with the parentheses…and ellipses…

27. heather says

Yay! I’ve always thought your sis was adorable, but she looks especially radiant in the photos I’ve seen from that day! Wonder how many times they “met” before they actually started dating? Was wondering when a proposal might come…. 🙂

28. Sarah says

Man oh man, even I started crying reading this! Such a great and romantic story to have and tell forever….congrats to your sis and Ross!

29. Cheryl says

So beautiful. I can’t believe I’m sitting here sobbing over people I don’t even know! Congratulations to the happy couple!

30. Brittany says

I was so excited to see the news the other day! I love the pics. I was wondering if you would post a close up of Leslie’s ring!?! So exciting!

31. Jan Klein says

After reading all of the posts including the two of them, I was hoping it would happen soon!
    So happy for them!

32. Christina says

HOW EXCITING!! Also funny story I had to share….I had been away from the blogging world for a while and had not caught up on your blog in quite some time! Tonight as I was catching up on a few others, I randomly thought to myself that I needed to check back to see if Ross and Leslie had gotten engaged yet. No joke. So I did just that and this post was about their engagement. Weirdest coincidence ever. but SO excited for you all, congratulations!!

So so so sweet!! I love that he totally threw her off with the email 🙂
    And that picture of Leslie laughing is so beautiful! They are a wonderful couple, so happy to hear of the great news! Congrats Leslie & Ross!!

34. Andrea says

Cute story! I just checked back in after being away for a few months and was so happy to hear this news! Congrats Ross and Leslie!

35. Nicole B. says

Congratulations to your sister! That’s a sweet story. What a small world… I visited my brother-in-law over the 4th in St. Augustine! My husbands grandparents actually live in Ponte Vedra Beach, so Cap’s is a great meeting spot for us. Although we didn’t eat at Cap’s this trip, it is a favorite of mine!

36. Christine says

What a great blog post! Congrats to the happy couple and to your family for getting a great new addition to your family!

p.s. The food looked so good. NEED. SEAFOOD. NOW.

37. Kevie says

Such an exciting time for your sister! And lucky you to get to be a part of it!! I am getting married in 4 weeks, so my engagement period is coming to an end. Reading your post made me almost teary-eyed…excited for her and slightly jealous because being engaged has been a wonderful time of my life. I wish your sister a blessed engagement and wedding planning. She’s lucky to have a sister like you to be by her side for help and advice!

38. Keri says

Yay! I am getting married in 8 weeks and couldn’t help but smile for her! I LOVE how some things are just MEANT TO BE! Congrats to her… They look very happy! 🙂

39. Alison Porter says

Congrats to Leslie and Ross!!! Great proposal and well thought out! Love the family involvement! Now the fun of planning begins!
    Love your blog too and look forward to it everyday!

40. Ellee says

Catching up on the blog from the holiday and I just saw this!!!!! SO excited for them! To be honest, me and my best friend (who BOTH got married this year) who both read the blog have been talking about this for a LONG time! haha we would be like “when do you think Ross and Leslie will get engaged?!” We thought for sure when you went on your family trip to the Galapagos! (but that would have been too predictable, good job Ross!) Congrats to them!

41. Caitlin says

I love that proposal so much, so sweet and well thought out! And Leslie is just radiant! Congrats to the both of them!

42. Amanda says

Wonderful news!!

I have been following your blog for just over a year now, and I have been WONDERING when Ross and Leslie would be engaged! I am so excited for them, and your family. Woo Hoo!

Congrats to Leslie and Ross!!!! They are such an adorable couple and seem like great, fun-loving people – just like you and Ryan.

It seems like just yesterday they started dating…but then I clicked on a link about your wedding and you’ve been married almost 3 years….it feels like you just posted about it a few weeks ago! lol!