Looking for a Juicer

Today began extra early since I worked the early shift at the gym. I’m not sure I will ever adjust to waking up at 4:20 a.m. At least getting ready for a day of work at the gym is really simple.

Black spandex capris + Gym polo + Gym shoes + Ponytail = Easy peasy!

Lunch

Work today passed quickly and I followed my shift with my own workout before driving home and eating a late lunch.

Sweet Chili Pork

I reheated a bowl of leftovers from last night’s dinner that included pork, onions, green pepper, broccoli and cauliflower in a sweet chili sauce. (The vegetables were a lot prettier last night!)

DSC_0376

Then it was off to the dermatologist!

I was just there for an annual check up (I have a family history of melanoma) and the doctor said everything looked okay! Ryan had an appointment right after me and he checked out alright as well. Hooray for healthy moles!

On my way home from the dermatologist, I swung by Earth Origins and bought some juice made with beets, carrots, kale, ginger and apple.

Earth Origins Juice

Ever since my visit to Kure Juice Bar in Portland two weeks ago, I’ve been craving it like mad! I just wish fresh juice wasn’t so darn expensive. It may be time to research juicers. There are a bunch on sale through RueLaLa right now but the one that caught my eye had pretty horrible reviews on Amazon. I know a bunch of you are really into making your own juice, so if you are in love with your juicer, please let me know. I’m looking for recommendations!

Question of the Afternoon

• Have you ever made your own juice?
  • Do you own a juicer? If so, what kind do you own and do you love it?

Comments

I HATED my juicer, have you ever tried to clean one? They are the worst! Also, my carrots kept overheating the thing. We returned it.
    I now have a Vitamix that I use every.single.day. I love it. Plus the Vitamix VS comes with the nut milk bag, which can also strain the pulp from juice. I never do it because I like the extra fiber and nutrients! On top of that my Vitamix makes vegan cheeze sauces, pasta sauces, vegan ‘ice’cream, nut butters, nut milk….can you say that about a juicer?
    I swear I am not paid to say this. Happy Hunting!

• Jill says

Agreed. I bought a cheap one (can’t afford to get one now even if I wanted one, but the old one is gone)…but anyway…it’s costly to buy the produce (Tina has said that on her blog..more expensive)…and its clean up annoying…loud, took up space, time cumbersome and just wasn’t practical or realistic….I like juice sometimes …but I also want the fiber not just sugar too…so for me (personally) I decided the cons were heavier than pros.

I do have a juicer and go in phases. I love making fresh juice it can be a pain if you do not have everything washed and prepped and it does waste alot. I have tried to find uses for the waste and have not had any luck yet. I have a Breville juicer and it is great 🙂

It depends if you want to juice fruit & what type or veggies
    . i have a breville juice fountain plus that i enjoy.
    plus easy to clean!!
    …but a separate hand citrus juicer for citrus fruits; however some juicer will come with a separate attachment.
    at a juice bar i went to recently they have the omega horizontal that is pricey. the omega horizontal works well for veggies. the omega vertical is good for fruits ; i was told each juicer has its qwerk like the omega vertical will better juice veggies after a soft juicy fruit has been juiced prior.

4. Ashley N. says

I have been on a mad hunt the past week for a juicer, I feel like every model I research has such a comparable amount of pros and cons that I am lost! Looking forward to comments on this one.

5. Alicia says

So funny you wrote about this today. My sister let me borrow her juicer since she wasn’t using it. it’s GE and it’s only around $50. I’m not sure of the name of it. It’s a cintrifugal juicer. I like it a lot. It’s quick, easy to assemble, disassemble and clean and it’s fairly efficient. I researched them before she gave me this one so I learned a lot about them. She just asked for it back recently so I had to get a new one. Since I know I use it all the time, I took the plunge and got the Hurom (yesterday!). It’s like the vitamix of juicers. However, if I were you, I’d start with something cheaper just to be sure you’ll actually use it. My friend has a Breville Juice Fountain Plus (around $150). She loves it so far. Just make sure it has what you’re looking for. Some are faster and louder, easier to clean, dishwasher safe, have more pulp etc.

6. Allison says

I recently bought a Nutribullet after my mom fell in love with hers. It’s more of a pulverizer than a juicer, so you still keep all the fiber (yay!). The result comes out about smoothie consistency. I can say, I’m officially obsessed! I have had it for 3 weeks and have made some new creation every day.

If you use one of those 20% off coupons and Bed Bath and Beyond, the whole kit only comes out to around $80.

7. Patty T says

I have the Jack LaLanne juicer and LOVE it. It is a pain to clean, but I’ve found if you clean it right after you make the juice it isn’t that bad. We have a CSA so we got it to juice some of the greens we weren’t eating before they went bad. Not sure if you have a Costco card, but here is a the power juicer (I just have the regular which isn’t silver). http://www.costco.com/Jack-LaLanne's-Ultimate-Power-Juicer%E2%84%A2.product.11590808.html

8. Ashley says

I literally have been having the exact same issue the past 2 weeks. I made the mistake of getting hooked on Whole Foods juice bar (cucumber, kale, apple, celery, and lime). Its $5 for a 16 oz drink. But juicers are expensive, and I feel like buying all the produce won’t be cheap either. I caught myself watching an infomercial for a juicer the other night and almost caved.

9. Karey says

I have a Megamouth Omega Juicer and LOVE it. When I was looking for a juicer I searched and searched and even looked at reviews on youtube that demonstrated how well the juicer worked. (I highly recommend you do that!) I haven’t had any troubles with it at all. I don’t like cleaning it though. Just takes time. But it’s totally worth it, right?? 🙂 Oh, and I bought mine new off ebay……got a really good price for it rather than paying the full sales price from a store. Good luck finding the one that’s right for you!

10. Elisabeth says

I love my breville juicer. I’ve been juicing 5-6 times a week since January and I love it. I get that same craving, too! The juicer I use has been such a great investment. It’s SUPER EASY to clean, and it makes about 24-25 oz per full use. It doesn’t take up too much space, and I can throw all the parts in the dishwasher when I’m done. I highly recommend it! (also, for $100 on amazon… the price is reasonable!)

11. LeAnne says

Hi Julie!
    I don’t have a juicer, but look forward to seeing what you end up with because I def. want to get one! Quick question – since your last ‘skin care routine’ post, which was awhile ago, has your typical routine changed at all? I’m still trying to battle some adult acne over here! (Input from other readers is quite welcomed too)! Thanks.

• Jessica Bullock says

I struggled for a long time with acne as a teen & adult. I’ve found 4 things that keep it under control: a healthy green diet, TONS of water, exercise, & Clinique’s 3 step system. I’ve tried every product out there & will never use anything else. It’s so basic & though its a more expensive skin care system, I swear I spend less money because you don’t use a lot & I am not constantly wasting money on stuff that doesn’t work. I wish you the best because it is very frustrating!! Why should we have to deal with acne past 25?!? Lol:) Also, if you’re interested in juicing …I highly recommend it! It does wonders for my skin!:)

• Ashley says

LeAnne,

I had the same issue and I went to go see my dermatologist. She gave me Retin-A. Not all insurance covers it, but if your doctor can get them to cover it, I would try it. You only use a tiny amount, and it works wonders. Plus its very good for preventing wrinkles! The best of both worlds for adult acne. Be super careful though, it makes you more vulternable to sunburn. Once I got my skin under control, I have used it pretty sparingly over the summer to avoid sunburn.

• LizzieM says

Artistry has really helped me get my skin under control, as long as I’m consistent about it. Also, water, lots and lots of water, especially here in AZ.

Julie, I recently bought a juicer from Amazon and I’m obsessed.

It’s this one if you’re interested: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MDHH06/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far, I like it a lot. It’s kind of a pain to clean because there are like 5 pieces, but I think all of them are that way. Otherwise it has been awesome. I juice everything in it (all kinds of fruits, veggies, leafy greens, etc.) I would definitely recommend it. I wanted a juicer for a really long time and I haven’t looked back since I bought mine.

13. Jessica Bullock says

My boyfriend is a personal trainer & nutrition consultant. He juices for us everyday & I am addicted! We’ve watched several documentaries, specifically “Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead” which was so informative & motivating. We needed a new juicer because of the volume he was juicing. We bought the Breville (basic fountain I believe) with a 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond coupon…and it came with a free dvd of that documentary because he uses that juicer. It was about $110 I think & works incredibly well:) it’s super easy to clean–that’s my job–& really easy & efficient to use–his job!:) I highly recommend this one. It’s not really expensive as they can get outrageous, but makes a complicated task seem easy.

He just started a blog & has posted some really good recipes I’ve thoroughly enjoyed!:)

Hi there! I would read 100days of real foods review on juicing vs smoothies. You don’t get very much nutrition out of your fruits and veggies when they are juiced. I can’t imagine juicing $10 worth of fruits and veggies and only getting a small percentage of the nutrition! Seems like a waste! I’ve owned a juicer and they are bulky, hard to clean and expensive. Not to mention the cost of juicing like I stated. I would stick to just splurging on a juice at Earth Orgins every so often. 😉 I own a vitamix and you can literally throw ALL of your ingredients in there and it gets blended to a pulp! And you get all the nutrition! Way more bang for your buck! And, sooooo easy to clean!

• Janie says

I also read the 100 days of food review and I don’t recall it saying you get less nutrition just less fiber which makes it less filling. The fiber comes out pretty dry with my Omega juicer so I’m pretty sure the nutrition is there. Also, a person only needs a finite amount of fiber per day any extra is essentially wasting space in your stomach that could be used with more nutritious items. Juicing is probably one of the best ways to get easy and quickly absorbable nutrients into your system. Because of the high fiber content of fruits and vegetables, if your goal is to maximize the amount of nutrients you consume, juicing the vegetables and fruits would be much more efficient because you extract the nutrients out of the plant matter and leave the fiber out of the equation. Fiber slows the process because your body has to extract the juice from the fiber then push the fiber out. And once again, it is important to get your daily requirements of fiber, but too much fiber is like bringing 6 weeks worth of socks on a week trip….. important to have socks but could have fit a lot more stuff in the suitcase if you packed more efficiently.

15. Melony says

I have a Breville juicer as well and adore it. Juicing does take a little prep work and some clean up. Typically, I’ll juice multiple fruits and veggies and freeze them in jars. Each morning I’ll pull one out of the freezer and drink it that afternoon. Fresh is best but if you want to prep and clean up once… freezing it makes it less of an ongoing task. My best piece of advice when researching which juicer to look for is to consider the size of the produce that will fit. I can juice an entire apple or a handful of carrots without having to chop them into tiny pieces. Good luck!

16. Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com says

The exact same thing has happened to me. I had a fabulous beet, carrot and apple juice last week I’d love to create. I’m just worried about needing to buy tonnes of veggies as well as the juicer. But juice is so addictive!

I have wanted a juicer for so long and I started saving to buy a nice one (Breville) and then my transmission went out on my car. Yeah, no juicer for me!!

You can juice with a blender if you have a fine mesh strainer and I’ve dried it several times and it works well. A lot less to clean too!

I met a friend for lunch at Whole Foods earlier this week and I ordered fresh juice with cucumber, carrot, beet, kale, ginger, apple, and lemon. Your ravings about vegetable/beet juices inspired me and I am SO glad I tried it because it was FANTASTIC. It had the perfect slight tang from the lemon and hint of spice from the ginger. I can totally see how you’re addicted because I’ve been thinking about it ever since I had mine!

The only thing I don’t like about juicers is that they are a pain to clean. I’ve heard great things about the Vitamix blenders instead of using juicers.

20. Jenn says

How many times are you going to whine about getting up? You used to go to the gym at 5 is it really that much earlier?
    Did we really need 2 photos of that slop you ate for lunch?

• Stacey says

I’m really glad I don’t know you “Jenn”. What a sad life you lead…you are probably just uber jealous that Julie works out and eats healthy. Unfollow her blog if you dislike it so much.

21. Megan K says

I recently bought the Breville compact juicer and I love it! I don’t juice every day so it’s a great smaller size for me but still has a lot of power. It’s also pretty easy to clean and doesn’t take up much space on the counter.

22. caroline says

you have a vitamix, right? use that! i either add a TON of water to mine so it’s more juice, less smoothie consistency, or use cheesecloth to strain out pulp stuff. save yourself money, storage, and time wasted cleaning stupid juicers. at least worth a try, right?

23. Traci says

I have a Breville Juice Fountain (the Multi Speed model) and it is amazing. It’s around $200 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE510XL-Fountain-Multi-Speed-900-Watt/dp/B000QBFFU8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373493441&sr=8-4&keywords=breville+juice+fountain), unless you can find a better deal elsewhere (we got ours through Direct Buy for less and I’ve heard they have them at Costco, BJs, etc if you stores like that around). It’s totally worth every penny. It blends juices so smoothly and quickly (seriously, we cannot believe the power of the blades – it pulverizes fruit/veggies in seconds) and it’s not difficult to clean at all. You just empty out the bin that catches the skin/unused parts and then snap a few larger pieces apart to scrub down. Highly recommend!

24. Denae B. says

We have a omega juicer.. We really like it.. It juices everything very well.. Easy to assemble, take apart and clean and reasonably priced .. Good luck on your search 🙂

25. Chels R. says

My mom just bought a nutri bullet and I have tried it out, it’s awesome esp if you’re on the go a lot and you can just blend and take it to go. I am probably going to get one too! They supposedly sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I was totally convinced on juicing after watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead so I went out and bought the Hamilton Beach HealthSmart juice extractor. It was super cheap ($30) and it works great!

I love this recipe:
    2 green apples
    1 cucumber
    8 kale leaves
    4 celeri stalks
    1-inch piece of ginger
    1/2 lemon

Tastes great! I bought the first one I saw so my only complaint is I wish I had got the Big Mouth model ($70) because the mouth on mine is small so everything must be cut up into small pieces.

I always put a plastic bag in the pulp bin so that makes one less piece to clean!

27. Emily D. says

After reading so many tempting posts, I finally went to Kure yesterday for the 1st time! It was AWESOME! I have a juicer at home, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend mine because its awful to clean out, so I’m in the market for a vitamix!

I have this guyL Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor and it works great. It’s $100 so right in the middle range. Clean up is also really fast. I have no complaints!

29. Nikki says

My couple of my girlfriends have the Champion brand juicer and swear it is the best. I think there’s a Chevy engine in the thing and weighs about as much ;). But seriously, its supposed to be the best brand. I think they both got theirs off Amazon.

I have a Breville Compact Juicer which works pretty well. Juicing is a process, so I don’t use it as often as I should, but whenever I do break it out I am happy with the product. I bought mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond because I had gift card and a 20% off coupon, but you can also find it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-Fountain-700-Watt-Extractor/dp/B000MDHH06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373496141&sr=8-1&keywords=breville+compact+juicer

I wish we had a juice bar in my area, I think I’d be there all of the time! I cannot imagine getting up in the 4’s. My alarm is off at 5 am, and 1 minute sooner is against the law in my bedroom!

I have a Breville that I got for a wedding gift a couple weeks ago. I love the thing – I make myself a juice everyday after my workout and actually I made the carrot-apple-kale-beet one yesterday! I’m always so surprised when I throw in all these veggies on top of a single apple and it comes out tasting delicious. I’m so obsessed I’m finally watching the ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ documentary on netflix that highlights juicing.

Julie ever since we left Portland I’ve been juicing everything lol. I HIGHLY suggest the vitamix. It juices all my greens in seconds and NO CHUNKS. I put in big chunks of apples and other fruits too and wham done. I use it for nut butters, ice creams, soups, EVERYTHING! So worth the money. It does it all! 🙂

34. Jessica Fernandez says

I have a Breville Juice Fountain Plus and I LOVE it. I actually got it on craigslist and it was brand new in the box and never used. It is simple to clean as long as you clean it right away. I juice pretty much every day. There are benefits to both smoothies and juices and I doubt you are going to get rid of your smoothies 🙂 Juices are good for fast absorption of nutrients into your bloodstream since your body does not have to do much work.

Breville Sign up for Bed, Bath & Beyond’s email club for the 20% off coupon. Coupon states not to be used on Breville products. Take to store in Paddock Park (I think that is the plaza name- near the mall in town) and stare longingly at juicer display. Make sure employee walks by and sees you and asks if she can help you. Tell her that you *really* want the juicer but are bummed you cannot use coupon. She will then go and talk to manager who will let you use said coupon. It was a accident but it worked for us in Feb 2013. I was so pleased with her I send a email to the corporate office praising her. 🙂

36. Robyn says

We bought the Jack Lalane juicer a couple of years ago and it still works great! It’s not crazy expensive {got it from Walmart} but it can be a pain to clean if you’re in rush. Other than that I would definitely recommend it!

We got the Jack Lalane juicer for a wedding gift and I still need to learn to use it! I would love some suggestions of great and simple recipes for juicing! I still have a lot to learn but love the benefits that comes from juicing!

I have the Jack Lalane one which I got at Costco for <$100. Works great. I used it almost daily and have for off and on for over a year. I agree that it's annoying to clean, but once you're used to the cleaning it goes really quickly. I have been really thinking about upgrading to a VitaMix though. With a true "juicer" there is so much waste! It constantly bugs me. Especially with greens, it seems like so much of it just ends up in the trash. I like that there's no waste with the VitaMix and that you get all the fiber, etc. However, I haven't actually tried any juice made with one, so not sure how different of a "juice" it is.

• Emily says

I have a vitamix, and I love it, but it’s not “juice”. It’s more of a shake or smoothie. I’ve been thinking that if you really wanted just the juice, you could put it in a fine mesh sieve or let it sit in a cheese cloth over a pot or something (probably more work than you’d want tho!). I do love my vitamix and make my own PB and hummus a lot.

• Lauren says

I have a Blendtec and I make juice in it all the time! The trick is to add a little extra water so that its not like a smoothie. The Blentec has a whole juice option and does a really great job of making sure the pulp is barely there- and no waste!

39. sassygirl711 says

we love our breville elite juicer. cleanup is easy when you do so immediately (and the
    payoff is great: sharp blades and efficient juicing.)

noise level? quiet! my husband and I took a step backwards when we turned it on the
    first time and just laughed. it is not overtly noisy or unpleasant to use…remember what it’s
    doing…grinding away and pulverizing everything you stick down the tube! and check out
    BB&Beyond. great price with the 20% coupon; we use our juicer everyday. gorgeous vibrant
    juice color. juices taste fantastic!

40. Rosalynn says

I have the Breville Juice Fountain and love it! I don’t have anything to compare it to but it works great and it easy to clean.

41. jillian says

i juice every day, and LOVE my juicer. I got a breville fountain compact for $99 on amazon, and think its fantastic. I know it received really excellent reviews from most buyers too! 🙂 do it!

42. Diane says

Julie, you don’t need a juicer, you need a Vitamix. Yes, it’s pricey, but it does so much. You can make soups, smoothies, juices, ice cream, bread, and the list goes on and on. It’s made in the USA and has an incredible warranty. I have purchased two of these machines from QVC when they were a Today’s Special Value. A juicer separates the juice from the pulp, but the Vitamix will pulverize your fruits or vegetables 100%, giving you a smooth as silk juice! There’s no waste and no lumps! Do yourself a favor and check out QVC and the Vitamix. I’ll let you know if I see it as QVC’s TSV; usually ships FREE too!

The green star juicer is the best in the market. Research it. I spent hours reading about juicers and this is the one I picked. You want to go with a masticating juicer which goes a little slower rather than a quick juicer like most have because you get the most out of the veggies and fruit you juice (my juice pulp is very dry, meaning all the juice was squeezed out!) I also would recommend running your juice through a nut milk bag so that it is nice and smooth. Good luck!

44. Steph says

I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead Ladt Friday night and bought a juicer the next day!! Only a few choices at my small town store so I bought the Cuisinart- so far pretty easy to use and clean. Today is day 3 of my 10 day reboot. Gotta say though my first few juices were terrible!! After 3 days almost finally tweaked recipes enough that they don’t taste like dirty grass!

45. Brianna says

I have the omega vert juicer and I love love love it! Easy to clean and makes the most delicious juice. Whichever juicer you decide on, I would highly recommend getting a masticating one. It makes the juice less “pulpy”.

• Janie says

I also use the Omega Vert and LOVE IT. Also a masticating juicer does not heat up the juice which does result in lose of nutrients. Centrifugal juicers heat up the juice which does cause it lose some nutrients. Additionally, masticating juicers are better with greens and centrifugal juicers are better with citrus. A vitamix (although a blender, not a juicer) will also heat up the juice and cause a lose of nutrients as well as leaving pulp making it more difficult to absorb the nutrients from the juice. Blends from a vitamix or other blender regardless of how pulverized the pulp is will be more filling. My advice is to juice vegetables and eat fruit to limit the amount of sugar you are drinking. So with that in mind you are probably getting plenty of fiber and just need to extra dose of super healthy juice 🙂

46. Brittany @ proteinandpumps says

I have a Cuisinart. Not home right now and can’t think of the model # but its a stainless steel version and was around $150. Macy’s had a lot of options and they often have good sales. I was hesitant to go with one of their more expensive machines but so glad I did because it works so great!

47. Michelle M. says

While a juicer is great (I’ve used a Cuisinart before), BUT I received a Vitamix as a wedding gift and use that bad boy for EVERYTHING! I make green juice every morning, plus make almond butter, hummus, soups, pesto, breadcrumbs, etc. and save a lot of money as a result. GET A VITAMIX!! Easy to clean, powerful, super versatile!

We use the Omega 8003 and love it! The best thing about this juicer vs. a lot of the ones others have mentioned, is that it uses low rpm, causing way less oxidation and also gets much more juice out of your produce. Definitely worth the money. Good luck on finding the best juicer for you! You will love it. 🙂

Also check out Drew Canole w/ Fitlife.tv if you haven’t. He is a wealth of info on the topic.

49. Andria says

I second the Omega Vert. The Hurom is made from the same factory and is very similar ( if not the same). Overall, you want a slow juicer to maximize the nutrients and not oxidize the veggies/fruits.

We have a $40 Black and Decker juicer. I’m glad we didn’t spend more, because this one works great. It was definitely tempting to get one of the super fancy ones.. I love juicing and I need to get back in the daily habit. I wish there was a juice bar nearby!

51. Caroline says

I have a Cuisinart juicer that I got for $80 at a Williams-Sonoma outlet! Because it was so cheap I picked it up, though many said that masticating juicers were better, but tough to clean. I love my Cuisinart juicer! Its normally priced around 200, which beats the masticating juicer price of 400-600. It makes amazing juice, is fast, quiet, the pulp is mostly dry and one great plus is it is SUPER easy to clean!! Ive juiced carrots, apples, lemons, cherries, melons, cucumbers, you name it!

I’m pretty much obsessed with juicing. We have a Breville, which is a pain in the butt to clean, but it makes awesome juice. I actually detox like twice a year with it, and usually make a batch of juice weekly. You can store it in the fridge as long as it’s air tight since it’s not pasteurized – we use mason jars. Once you start juicing, you’ll be hooked!

53. Nicole says

Hey!
    I have an Omega 8600. They’re pricey but worth it. Its the masticating version which juices the veggies slowly getting the most juice out without breaking the enzymes down. Its quick to put together and clean. From start to finish including drinking takes 30min. I juice, swiss chard, cucumber, carrots, celery, ginger, lemon and parsley (ill switch it up and use beets and bok choy). I then take that and blend it with kale and avocado. Kale doesn’t juice well as their is more fiber and adds substance to the drink. I juice first thing in the morning as it gives you a good shot of energy right off the bat. You also want to make your juice and drink it right away because it loses all of the enzymes and nutrients as its exposed to air, plus it tastes better fresh.

Need any other suggestions let me know.

Nicole

No juicer tips, but I’ve picked up your “easy peasy” phrase (mostly for recipes, which seems to usually be where you use it). do you say it or is it just used by Blog Julie?

I have the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juice Extractor 67650 which you can find on amazon for about $60. I love this juicer because it has a powerful motor unlike some of the more expensive juicers and it’s very easy to clean. I used it during juice fasts (not recommended) so you know it has gotten it’s fair share of usage. Anyways, good luck on your juicer quest!

56. Amanda says

Definitely the Omega vert!!! Masticating juicers make the best, most nutritious juice. It is super easy to clean and juices everything (including wheat grass).

I used to make my own juice YEARS ago when I was still living at home, but that was boring stuff like pure orange juice, apple juice, etc. Today, there’s a whole world of things you can put inside juice. I am going to add a juicer to my Christmas wish list, I think! That one you had sounds delicious…love beets!

Julie, it is much healthier to eat whole fruit and veggies than to juice them. It is okay to have juice from time to time but every food contain poison and cure. Fiber is the cure in fruit. Removing fiber you make the juice fast absorbing. You may want to research this before buying a juicer. Blender for smoothies is much better in my opinion because you consume the whole plant 🙂

59. Jessica says

When we first began juicing one of my biggest concerns & obvious questions was, “wouldn’t it be better to just eat the vegetables & fruits???”

• Alicia says

You should still definitely eat whole fruits and veggies too. Nobody should replace that with juices. Juicing is good for adding extra nutrients. That’s what I use it for. I have kale, spinach, apple, cucumber, carrot, and ginger juice every morning and then i eat my normal meals including salads, and other veggie and fruit items.

• Jessica says

Yes! Lol…the rest of my comment didn’t show (or I erased it?) !☺My expert other half explained to me how your body absorbs nutrients better, it would be impossible to eat that many vegetables everyday (2 bundles of kale daily will NEVER happen unless it’s in juice:), & what is wasted is mostly fiber which we get from our regular meals & psyllium husk cocktails regularly:) We do a similar one as you that we drink thought out the day with small meals mixed in. And he has made me my FAVORITE which consists of sweet potato (who knew you could juice a sweet potato?!?), apple, & peaches! :):)

• Alicia says

I’ve wanted to try the psyllium husk drink!! Do you just mix it with water usually? And I’ve never tried to juicer a sweet potato. I may try that!

• Jessica says

Yes!! It gathers everything & cleans you out lol! Literally! We just put a scoop half a regular 20 oz? water bottle & shake it up, then drink quickly:) before bed is the best time (from what I’m told). It could make you feel bloated I guess. I’m no expert. My other half is the professional! I just do what he says:):)

• Jessica says

And that sweet potato drink (Creamsicle is the official name:) is like dessert! so refreshing–especially after a run, yoga, or workout:) hope you try & enjoy as much as I do!:)

60. Jillian says

I have an Omega 8005 juicer. Omega juicers are wonderful and all have really incredible reviews. It is easy to go crazy with a juicer and spend too much money when you don’t need to. This particular one is a great basic juicer that many friends had recommended to me. It juices slowly which is important for keeping the integrity of the enzymes in the vegetables and fruits. It does a really great job juicing every type of vegetable I’ve tried including sometimes hard to juice wheat grass and greens. It is super easy to clean and take apart (important for people with limited time) and I have absolutely no complaints over the 2 years I have had it. Good luck with your juicer search! It is a worth while investment.

I actually only have a blender NINJA which works perfectly! I prefer the fiber from the fruits and veggies in my juices/smoothies, which you won’t get in a juicer, but the blender still grinds everything up super good!

I have the Hamilton Beach big mouth Juicer and it works great. It can be a little bit of a pain to clean but I makes some mighty tasty juice. I got mine at Sears on sale for a little under $80 so for what I paid, I think it is great!!

63. Kim says

I have the Jack LaLanne juicer from Target, I think it was under $75 so not bad for a major kitchen appliance. We used it a lot in the first few weeks and really enjoyed the flavorful juices, but quickly learned we prefer smoothies over juices (and felt wasteful throwing away all that vegetable/fruit pulp that we could’ve digested) so now it sits in a cabinet. Chances are you know someone who has a juicer sitting around, just ask some friends and someone might let you borrow it for a week to try it out. It’s painful to juice leafy greens like kale that cost a ton of $$ and you literally get drops out of it – the best bang for your buck is a carrot/apple/ginger combo.

I have a Breville that I absolutely love. Don’t get scared off by people who say it’s too much work to clean them-it takes all of five minutes to clean it and it’s totally worth it. I got mine for my birthday this year and it is hands down my favorite kitchen gadget. It came with a really fun recipe book too-I have a feeling you would love it! Check Amazon for them-they’re a little cheaper there!

65. Hollee says

We have a Jack LaLane juicer. It hurt my wallet a little bit, but it been worth every penny! It is easy to clean and the texture of the juice is good… not too watery. Also, it yeilds a ton of juice out of every fruit/veggie. My parents have one from WalMart (Hamilton Beach, maybe?). I feel like it doesn’t get all the juice and nutrients out. However, it gets the job done and it is still nice to have there when we visit.

• Patrice says

I got a Jack LaLane Juicer a few weeks ago at a Costco in the NW suburbs of Chicago for only $90! I’ve been loving it so far!

66. Laura says

I have the Jack LaLane one and like it a lot. My only complaint is that the spout is about 1/4 inch too low, so my juice glasses don’t fit underneath it. My solution is to put the whole juicer on top of a cutting board, which raises it up just enough.

I have a Breville Die-Cast juicer. It was $300, which is really expensive, but I had a coupon for the store I purchased it in so it wasn’t that bad. Honestly, it is worth EVERY PENNY! Next to the Vitamix, it is my favorite appliance. Most juicers are really annoying to clean, but this once is so easy. It takes me about 3-5 minutes TOPS to clean it in the morning after I use it. The only thing I’ve noticed is that it is really hard to juicy leafy greans, such as spinach, kale, etc. I would LOVE a cold press juicer, but I like my Breville too much to make a switch. Hope my rant helped a little 🙂

68. Alissa says

I have the Jack LaLane Juicer! I’ve had it for about a year and half now and have had no problems so far! I love it! Making your own concoctions is so fun!

69. Sarah says

I have a Breville Juice Fountain (I forget which model) and I LOVE it – I was worried that if it was too time-consuming to use and clean in the morning, I wouldn’t use it frequently enough, but I was wrong! I am still perfecting getting the most juice out of greens, but it’s easy to use, fast, and the outcome is delicious.

Omega 8006!! It’s SO good. It’s super easy to clean since it’s masticating (which means the nutrients don’t get damaged from the heat) and you do have to cut the veggies smaller, but I bought the jack lalane juicer before and ick, it’s awful compared to the masticating juicers.
    It also makes frozen yogurt, nut milks, nut butters, and pasta shapers which is awesome!

71. Ruth says

If I want to juice, I just use the blender, and add a bit of water or apple juice to it, and then pour it thru a strainer to get out the pulp. I like adding a bit of the pulp back in since I figure that is where the fibre is. It’s not perfect, but better than buying another peice of equipment.

72. Brandy says

I have a Breville Ikon Juice Fountain and I love it. It is around $200.00. I bought mine through Crate & Barrel with a coupon. It is very easy to use and clean.

73. Ani says

I use the Vitamix for everything. The drink doesn’t come out as liquidy as what a juicer will produce but it’s been a nice all in 1 product for us. I usually put a cup of ice in everything since I don’t add juice/milk. I got mine at Bed Bath with a 20% off coupon.

74. Sara says

I have the Breville Juice Fountain Plus and it is AWESOME! My husband i make juice every day using it. Sometimes we make our own cocnut milk with it too.
    Let me know if you need any Juice Recipes
    It is the juicer that is used in the documentary Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. If you haven’t already watched that I highly recommend it, you can find it on Netflix.

Hopes this helps

75. Lauren says

We have the Omega, it’s a masticating juicer so no blades which is easier cleanup. The only downside to the one we use is it has a small opening so everything has to be chopped. There is another model of the Omega, I saw it at Kohls, that has the nice wide opening like the breville. With the Omega I can make nut butter, pasta, and other things though I haven’t tested it out yet.

We have the Omega 8004. We got it through Bed Bath and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon. It’s a masticating juicer and I use it daily. SUPER easy and quick to clean up. We started off with a Waring Pro JEX328 centrifugal juicer and it was good but we did a juice cleanse and were only drinking juice a la Fat Sick and Nearly dead. It was good, but it produced a lot of foam and was a BEEOTCH to clean up. Honestly, if you’re gonna use it, spend the big bucks first because it’s totally worth it. Not only is our Omega a juicer, but you can make your own pasta noodles AND ice cream! 🙂

77. Danielle says

I have a stainless steel Breville Juicer JE98XL and it is amazing! I’m not sure about the price because I got it as a gift, but it is super fast, you can juice huge fruits (like half an apple at a time) and it makes a ton of juice. Plus it’s simple to clean and get the pulp out! My only minor complaint is that it is super duper loud – my boyfriend said it sounds like a jet engine. Haha. I guess it’s actually a good thing though because it just means it has a super strong motor! My next purchase will probably be a vitamix (someday)! I want to compare juicing w. a vitamix (and keeping all the pulp etc. in the juice) verses my juicer. I love juicing but I always feel like I’m wasting so much good veggie/fruit stuff when I throw the pulp away.

78. n says

Hi, I agree with the blender or Vitamix. The Vitamix is expensive (look for promos at Costco or Whole Foods), but it is excellent. Prep time is much less, as many things you can use whole, or only have to cut a couple times. I much prefer it to the juicers, as you lose a lot of fiber by extracting juice from the pulp. The Vitamix really breaks down fruits and veggies, but keeps that wonderful fiber. You can also use it for quick soups, sauces, and sorbet/ice cream/frozen delights…so it’s more versatile. Let us know what you get!

79. Sarah R. says

Julie,
    My family has the Jack LaLane juicer and we love it! They are a little pricey, but worth the splurge if you plan on using it often. Good luck to you and Ryan in your “Juicer Quest!”

80. Katelyn Y says

I have a Hamilton Beach wide mouth (?) juicer…. in all honesty, I’ve had it for a year and I’ve used it twice. It’s just such a pain to make your own juice! You need 2x the normal amount of fruit and veggies on hand and mine really makes a mess. It got good reviews on Amazon and is supposedly “easy to clean” so maybe I’m missing something.

Best of luck!

• Lexi says

I have a Breville but agree whole-heartedly with this. It is SO expensive to juice and it takes a ridiculous amount of veggies to get one juice. I prefer for it to be an “every now and then” treat from a local juice shop.

81. Anna says

I’ve tried 4 different juicers- the compact breville is by far the best and wallet friendly at $99 at crate and barrel. We also have a vitamix (Costco for $300) that makes amazing green smoothies without the waste that a juicer produces. I’d stay away from jack la lane- it was way less powerful than our breville and took longer to clean.

We love juicing (at least once a day) and found that a vitamix is a way better investment than a typical juicer.

Good luck!

Ditto on the Breville Juice Fountian Plus. I was worried about its ability to juice greens (since it is a centrifugal one and not masticating which is recommended for greens) but it is great. I rinse it then put it in the dishwasher.

My wife purchased a breville 800jexl juicer for over 3-years now. Though it was expensive but it does worth it. It helps us get sufficient intake of nutrients and vitamins from both fruits and vegetables because they are concentrated in the juice produced. Juicers are a useful tool that can help you lose weight and become healthier on a daily basis because they allow you to make smoothies and juices at home. Breville juicers are definitely the way to go.

84. Cassie says

I just got a juicer a couple months back after watching ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ on Hulu.
    I found this one on sale, it ended up being $50 bucks.
    The Amazon reviews were good and for the price I figured it would be a nice starter juicer, and I could drop the big money on the Breville if everything went well.
    So far I love it!! My roommate and I juice at least once a day, sometimes way more than that and I’ve never had any issues with it. It doesnt juice leafy greens like spinach and kale real well, but it still gets some out of them…and from what I’ve read this is fairly common in all juicers but the top of the line big daddies.
    I would love it if you started posting juicing recipes!