Looking for a Juicer

Today began extra early since I worked the early shift at the gym. I’m not sure I will ever adjust to waking up at 4:20 a.m. At least getting ready for a day of work at the gym is really simple.

Black spandex capris + Gym polo + Gym shoes + Ponytail = Easy peasy!

Lunch

Work today passed quickly and I followed my shift with my own workout before driving home and eating a late lunch.

Sweet Chili Pork

I reheated a bowl of leftovers from last night’s dinner that included pork, onions, green pepper, broccoli and cauliflower in a sweet chili sauce. (The vegetables were a lot prettier last night!)

DSC_0376

Then it was off to the dermatologist!

I was just there for an annual check up (I have a family history of melanoma) and the doctor said everything looked okay! Ryan had an appointment right after me and he checked out alright as well. Hooray for healthy moles!

On my way home from the dermatologist, I swung by Earth Origins and bought some juice made with beets, carrots, kale, ginger and apple.

Earth Origins Juice

Ever since my visit to Kure Juice Bar in Portland two weeks ago, I’ve been craving it like mad! I just wish fresh juice wasn’t so darn expensive. It may be time to research juicers. There are a bunch on sale through RueLaLa right now but the one that caught my eye had pretty horrible reviews on Amazon. I know a bunch of you are really into making your own juice, so if you are in love with your juicer, please let me know. I’m looking for recommendations!

Question of the Afternoon

• Have you ever made your own juice?
  • Do you own a juicer? If so, what kind do you own and do you love it?

Comments

I have a Breville that I absolutely love. Don’t get scared off by people who say it’s too much work to clean them-it takes all of five minutes to clean it and it’s totally worth it. I got mine for my birthday this year and it is hands down my favorite kitchen gadget. It came with a really fun recipe book too-I have a feeling you would love it! Check Amazon for them-they’re a little cheaper there!

2. Hollee says

We have a Jack LaLane juicer. It hurt my wallet a little bit, but it been worth every penny! It is easy to clean and the texture of the juice is good… not too watery. Also, it yeilds a ton of juice out of every fruit/veggie. My parents have one from WalMart (Hamilton Beach, maybe?). I feel like it doesn’t get all the juice and nutrients out. However, it gets the job done and it is still nice to have there when we visit.

• Patrice says

I got a Jack LaLane Juicer a few weeks ago at a Costco in the NW suburbs of Chicago for only $90! I’ve been loving it so far!

3. Laura says

I have the Jack LaLane one and like it a lot. My only complaint is that the spout is about 1/4 inch too low, so my juice glasses don’t fit underneath it. My solution is to put the whole juicer on top of a cutting board, which raises it up just enough.

I have a Breville Die-Cast juicer. It was $300, which is really expensive, but I had a coupon for the store I purchased it in so it wasn’t that bad. Honestly, it is worth EVERY PENNY! Next to the Vitamix, it is my favorite appliance. Most juicers are really annoying to clean, but this once is so easy. It takes me about 3-5 minutes TOPS to clean it in the morning after I use it. The only thing I’ve noticed is that it is really hard to juicy leafy greans, such as spinach, kale, etc. I would LOVE a cold press juicer, but I like my Breville too much to make a switch. Hope my rant helped a little :)

5. Alissa says

I have the Jack LaLane Juicer! I’ve had it for about a year and half now and have had no problems so far! I love it! Making your own concoctions is so fun!

6. Sarah says

I have a Breville Juice Fountain (I forget which model) and I LOVE it – I was worried that if it was too time-consuming to use and clean in the morning, I wouldn’t use it frequently enough, but I was wrong! I am still perfecting getting the most juice out of greens, but it’s easy to use, fast, and the outcome is delicious.

Omega 8006!! It’s SO good. It’s super easy to clean since it’s masticating (which means the nutrients don’t get damaged from the heat) and you do have to cut the veggies smaller, but I bought the jack lalane juicer before and ick, it’s awful compared to the masticating juicers.
    It also makes frozen yogurt, nut milks, nut butters, and pasta shapers which is awesome!

8. Ruth says

If I want to juice, I just use the blender, and add a bit of water or apple juice to it, and then pour it thru a strainer to get out the pulp. I like adding a bit of the pulp back in since I figure that is where the fibre is. It’s not perfect, but better than buying another peice of equipment.

9. Brandy says

I have a Breville Ikon Juice Fountain and I love it. It is around $200.00. I bought mine through Crate & Barrel with a coupon. It is very easy to use and clean.

10. Ani says

I use the Vitamix for everything. The drink doesn’t come out as liquidy as what a juicer will produce but it’s been a nice all in 1 product for us. I usually put a cup of ice in everything since I don’t add juice/milk. I got mine at Bed Bath with a 20% off coupon.

11. Sara says

I have the Breville Juice Fountain Plus and it is AWESOME! My husband i make juice every day using it. Sometimes we make our own cocnut milk with it too.
    Let me know if you need any Juice Recipes
    It is the juicer that is used in the documentary Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. If you haven’t already watched that I highly recommend it, you can find it on Netflix.

Hopes this helps

12. Lauren says

We have the Omega, it’s a masticating juicer so no blades which is easier cleanup. The only downside to the one we use is it has a small opening so everything has to be chopped. There is another model of the Omega, I saw it at Kohls, that has the nice wide opening like the breville. With the Omega I can make nut butter, pasta, and other things though I haven’t tested it out yet.

We have the Omega 8004. We got it through Bed Bath and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon. It’s a masticating juicer and I use it daily. SUPER easy and quick to clean up. We started off with a Waring Pro JEX328 centrifugal juicer and it was good but we did a juice cleanse and were only drinking juice a la Fat Sick and Nearly dead. It was good, but it produced a lot of foam and was a BEEOTCH to clean up. Honestly, if you’re gonna use it, spend the big bucks first because it’s totally worth it. Not only is our Omega a juicer, but you can make your own pasta noodles AND ice cream! :)

14. Danielle says

I have a stainless steel Breville Juicer JE98XL and it is amazing! I’m not sure about the price because I got it as a gift, but it is super fast, you can juice huge fruits (like half an apple at a time) and it makes a ton of juice. Plus it’s simple to clean and get the pulp out! My only minor complaint is that it is super duper loud – my boyfriend said it sounds like a jet engine. Haha. I guess it’s actually a good thing though because it just means it has a super strong motor! My next purchase will probably be a vitamix (someday)! I want to compare juicing w. a vitamix (and keeping all the pulp etc. in the juice) verses my juicer. I love juicing but I always feel like I’m wasting so much good veggie/fruit stuff when I throw the pulp away.

15. n says

Hi, I agree with the blender or Vitamix. The Vitamix is expensive (look for promos at Costco or Whole Foods), but it is excellent. Prep time is much less, as many things you can use whole, or only have to cut a couple times. I much prefer it to the juicers, as you lose a lot of fiber by extracting juice from the pulp. The Vitamix really breaks down fruits and veggies, but keeps that wonderful fiber. You can also use it for quick soups, sauces, and sorbet/ice cream/frozen delights…so it’s more versatile. Let us know what you get!

16. Sarah R. says

Julie,
    My family has the Jack LaLane juicer and we love it! They are a little pricey, but worth the splurge if you plan on using it often. Good luck to you and Ryan in your “Juicer Quest!”

17. Katelyn Y says

I have a Hamilton Beach wide mouth (?) juicer…. in all honesty, I’ve had it for a year and I’ve used it twice. It’s just such a pain to make your own juice! You need 2x the normal amount of fruit and veggies on hand and mine really makes a mess. It got good reviews on Amazon and is supposedly “easy to clean” so maybe I’m missing something.

Best of luck!

• Lexi says

I have a Breville but agree whole-heartedly with this. It is SO expensive to juice and it takes a ridiculous amount of veggies to get one juice. I prefer for it to be an “every now and then” treat from a local juice shop.

18. Anna says

I’ve tried 4 different juicers- the compact breville is by far the best and wallet friendly at $99 at crate and barrel. We also have a vitamix (Costco for $300) that makes amazing green smoothies without the waste that a juicer produces. I’d stay away from jack la lane- it was way less powerful than our breville and took longer to clean.

We love juicing (at least once a day) and found that a vitamix is a way better investment than a typical juicer.

Good luck!

Ditto on the Breville Juice Fountian Plus. I was worried about its ability to juice greens (since it is a centrifugal one and not masticating which is recommended for greens) but it is great. I rinse it then put it in the dishwasher.

My wife purchased a breville 800jexl juicer for over 3-years now. Though it was expensive but it does worth it. It helps us get sufficient intake of nutrients and vitamins from both fruits and vegetables because they are concentrated in the juice produced. Juicers are a useful tool that can help you lose weight and become healthier on a daily basis because they allow you to make smoothies and juices at home. Breville juicers are definitely the way to go.

21. Cassie says

I just got a juicer a couple months back after watching ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ on Hulu.
    I found this one on sale, it ended up being $50 bucks.
    The Amazon reviews were good and for the price I figured it would be a nice starter juicer, and I could drop the big money on the Breville if everything went well.
    So far I love it!! My roommate and I juice at least once a day, sometimes way more than that and I’ve never had any issues with it. It doesnt juice leafy greens like spinach and kale real well, but it still gets some out of them…and from what I’ve read this is fairly common in all juicers but the top of the line big daddies.
    I would love it if you started posting juicing recipes!